Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

1 minute ago, kalion said:

Wow this optimistic mindset in Sonic Fans never changes does it?

Where do you the see the optimistic at? It can't be coming from here.

42 minutes ago, do a barrel roll said:

People are way too loyal to Sonic.

This is exactly the truth. I know people on the internet that even defended games like 06 and Boom for been good and got angry because I told them those are bad games. 

12 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

The character roster feels great even with its lesser focus of attention to the cast now they can put more quality in tracks, story and other stuff. Characters like chao, Big, Vector, Zavok, and Omega now get the change to be playable. 

Well, I guess the story could be really amazing!

• Chuckle 3

What? One comment makes the fanbase optimistic now? I really doubt it. 

Anyway, back on topic, the roster isn't that bad, it's just so basic and yes, lame, they could have gone crazy with it but either SEGA or Sumo don't care about Sonic characters. Though, Crash Racing also had 15 characters and the remake is gonna add a few more maybe but still, not too many. It's only MK8 that has a giant roster, but full of filler.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, kalion said:

Wow this optimistic mindset in Sonic Fans never changes does it?

Delusional I'd say.

Anyway, the roster is thin and not impresive. It's actually pretty boring. So are the tracks shown so far.

We haven't even seen the car mods in action and how (or if) they change the appearance of the vehicle.

This game is just flacid.

• Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 2

We haven't seen a thing. Marketing just sucks and we have no idea how the updated game looks after these months of delay. I still like the tracks shown so far and the team gameplay, I genuinely like them, but I'm just... Curious and hungry for some substancial footage.

I also don't buy the whole "Sega are afraid of the bad quality of TSR so they just show the music" they stopped giving footage after the delay was announced. This just shows how paranoid the fans are.

• Thumbs Up 3

Here are my thoughts so far.

OK, so admittedly, the character roster is in need of improvement. I'm hoping that at the very least, the game gets some DLC racers, but I doubt they would be non-Sonic characters, since the point of already not including characters from other SEGA franchises as regular racers was to make TSR completely separate from the All Stars Racing games. 

I still can't agree with this notion that the tracks are "boring" and "uninspired". They just don't scream those two words at me. Based on more recent gameplay vids (like the ones from the Tokyo Game Show), the gameplay shown so far still looks relatively solid, even if the whole "team" aspect will take some getting used to.

However, I am quite annoyed by the fact that the marketing is weak, and I feel like it's this reason that TSR will be overshadowed by CTR, regardless of its reception. The idea that a visually enhanced remake would get more advertising than a new and original title is pretty upsetting, to say the least.

Edited by Stephen Rodriguez
  • Thumbs Up 3

Since the roster is so underwhelming, do you think there could potentially be some secret characters? Thinking about it, if 12 characters are in a race, they should definitely add more. This means 3 unlockables, or they just... Have less characters available from the start, which would be disappointing. I also don't like how they announced all the characters already, where are the surprises? I'm not jumping to conclusions that there could be more... the press initially said there are 15 only, I don't know... Then Iizuka said in an interview "we are not talking about the number of characters, yet" and that "Adventure mode unlocks more characters". Though I can't find that interview anymore so take it with a grain of salt. It was some time ago.

The screens we've seen suggested two teams were available at the start so the rest would be unlockables. 

Wait, wasn't

Spoiler

Orbot & Cubot duo mentioned as playable in 2 previews last year? One was italian and the other was German. Multiple people read about that.

Either that was a mistake or it would confirm secret characters. I swear I remember that though.

• Fist Bump 1

The main problem with the roster is the pitiful lack of characters. Only 15 racers. Obscure choices are a risk because they would have to leave out main characters. Look at how angry people were when the Chao won out over Cream. Even Zavok was a contentious pick. Although the lack of a Team Chaotix in a team based racing game is one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen, and I'm not even big on the Chaotix.

The roster should have been larger to accommodate some good obscure picks. And you didn't even need to get really obscure either, where's Chaos, Infinite, Tikal, Orbot and Cubot etc. I also think that the Classic/Modern dimension split has hurt this game, because not including Metal Knuckles and Tails Doll in the next big Sonic racing game is a massive blunder. Not to mention how Mighty, Ray and Fang would be good fits after Mania.

• Thumbs Up 1

The new Famitsu shows Team Eggman alongside the second Planet Wisp track, taking place in the factory! The screenshot to Zavok's right also seems to take place in the Ice/Fire-themed level some have been speculating on, and there is some significance to Egg Pawn as well, though no idea whether they'll be a bonus playable or not. There's also mini maps on the screen now.

Dxu01A5UcAAgZmm.jpg large.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, LukA8 said:

The new Famitsu shows Team Eggman alongside the second Planet Wisp track, taking place in the factory! The screenshot to Zavok's right also seems to take place in the Ice/Fire-themed level some have been speculating on, and there is some significance to Egg Pawn as well, though no idea whether they'll be a bonus playable or not. There's also mini maps on the screen now, and the top left picture seems to hint at something?

Dxu01A5UcAAgZmm.jpg large.jpg

What's up with the Derby Egg Pawns?

For me, it seems that the story will have some cutscenes. I actually hope this is the case. The story mode is the only thing that can actually save this game. Unless Crash will also beat Sonic in this one. 

7 minutes ago, Rowl said:

For me, it seems that the story will have some cutscenes. I actually hope this is the case. The story mode is the only thing that can actually save this game. Unless Crash will also beat Sonic in this one. 

No doubt Crash will beat Sonic, however I don't believe "the story can save the game", I still like what's been teased (not shown because it hasn't been shown in action): team mechanics which give gameplay some depth, 21 wide open tracks (from the looks of it), customization, tons of power ups/items, online up to 12, fanservice in various ways, including music, remixes and a Crush 40 track, traditional solo races, customizable teams, Adventure mode with at least a couple of actual scenes, unique skills for each character type, each general location has multiple zones in it, a gameplay that feels different from other racers, and it does feel like a Sonic title, it feels like it's in the world of Sonic. It really sounds like I'm trying to promote the game for some reason, I'm not, I just feel excited because there hasn't been a cool spin off like this with Sonic in a long time.

I like what's been teased, now I'm just curious about the updated game, I want to see it in action more, if I had to find things I don't like about it it's the graphics, I hope they improve them, and the roster if secret characters are not a thing.

4 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

No doubt Crash will beat Sonic, however I don't believe "the story can save the game", I still like what's been teased (not shown because it hasn't been shown in action): team mechanics which give gameplay some depth, 21 wide open tracks (from the looks of it), customization, tons of power ups/items, online up to 12, fanservice in various ways, including music, remixes and a Crush 40 track, traditional solo races, customizable teams, Adventure mode with at least a couple of actual scenes, unique skills for each character type, each general location has multiple zones in it, a gameplay that feels different from other racers, and it does feel like a Sonic title, it feels like it's in the world of Sonic. It really sounds like I'm trying to promote the game for some reason, I'm not, I just feel excited because there hasn't been a cool spin off like this with Sonic in a long time.

I like what's been teased, now I'm just curious about the updated game, I want to see it in action more, if I had to find things I don't like about it it's the graphics, I hope they improve them, and the roster if secret characters are not a thing.

This game will be the end of two-world.

Crash will not beat Sonic in story. As great as the game is, the story is as bare bones as you can get. Only the boss trash talk marks any story progression. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well... Crash never really had the greatest story in the world. But I will take a simple, enjoyable story over some really nerve-wracking story as most Sonic games have. I just really, really hope they will not try too hard with the story. Just be a simple, charming story like the one from CTR or Diddy Kong Racing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What's up with the Derby Egg Pawns?

Eggpawn does look like the Generations design, rather than Lost World or Forces. I guess they were painted that way to be more fitting for the task at hand. 

I got the impression somewhere that this game was coming at the end of 2018. Is there a release date for it yet?

Also, I'm with Mayor D on the subject of Eggman's teeth. He must have an excellent dentist.

39 minutes ago, Delta Starfire said:

Also, I'm with Mayor D on the subject of Eggman's teeth. He must have an excellent dentist.

The Eggman Empire has a most excellent private dental health care plan for all employees.

• Promotion 8

13 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

The Eggman Empire has a most excellent private dental health care plan for all employees.

And they're snappy dressers, too. ;)

• Promotion 2

9 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Can we take a moment to appreciate how amazing Eggmans teeth are?

This is news?

8 hours ago, Rowl said:

For me, it seems that the story will have some cutscenes. I actually hope this is the case. 

Or the game/story's intro cutscene. Unless they're doing the usual cutscene thing that games like Riders and Heroes did.

I hope so too, though.

2 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Eggpawn does look like the Generations design, rather than Lost World or Forces. I guess they were painted that way to be more fitting for the task at hand. 

So, colors?