Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

13 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

"The participation condition is to form a team with three people, to board a racing car prepared by Dodonpa."

So it sounds like Dodonpa made the cars before the characters even signed up. That explains why Espio and Charmy aren't with Vector then; Dodonpa set up the cars that way. 

This explains all the absences, Dodonpa simply expected/wanted the participants, and kept Charmy and Cream’s little noses out of things by not crafting their vehicles. 

16 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

This explains all the absences, Dodonpa simply expected/wanted the participants, and kept Charmy and Cream’s little noses out of things by not crafting their vehicles. 

Guess even wealthy cryptids with a taste for witness mayhem have standards.

Also, Ninjas are overrated, apparently.

• Fist Bump 1

Well, eventhough it's mostly Sumo developing the game, Sonic Team is pretty involved it seems, and since things are changing over seas, their agenda is going bananas.

Seriously, I've never seen SEGA so uninterested in promoting their own game, especially a SONIC one. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The music is easily the best-received part of the game so far (though I thought the new footage in the Making Of video actually managed to make the game look pretty good), so it makes sense that while Sega's stringing out the advertising over the delay then they'd emphasise that.  If, for instance, it was concept art that everyone was going gaga for, I expect they'd have been dropping a lot more concept art instead.

It seems as if the marketing might be kicking off again, with the Team Eggman reveal, the first of several promised Making Of The Music videos, and the JP site going up, so we might be on an upswing now.

9 hours ago, Jango said:

Well, eventhough it's mostly Sumo developing the game, Sonic Team is pretty involved it seems, and since things are changing over seas, their agenda is going bananas.

Seriously, I've never seen SEGA so uninterested in promoting their own game, especially a SONIC one. 

Doesn't seem involved tbh, we don't even know if there is a Sonic Team right now. The thing is SoJ is doing a better job at promoting the game, between the website and famitsu articles, than the occidental marketing which focuses on the Music. The fact that they announced the limited edition in Japan first, says a lot... (SoA focuses on Mania and Classic stuff, Japan focuses on Modern Sonic which is more popular over there)

Hopefully the few views in the latest video will push them to release a proper trailer. 

Anyway, we should be getting a first look at the pre-order bonus and maybe at some kind of day 1 DLC soon? Hopefully, the game desperately needs more characters, and Forces did get both pre-order bonus and Day 1 bonus content. So who knows?

Sounds like another case of Sega having no faith in Sonic as usual if they aren't advertising the gameplay.

2 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Sounds like another case of Sega having no faith in Sonic as usual if they aren't advertising the gameplay.

Probably because they think that Sonic's name itself will sell copies of the game. Which is might the truth. He is still to this date a very popular character. Thinking about it... the character Sonic was always the selling point of the series. This might be the reason why they have to throw out all of the other Sega characters... sadly. I always played with Sega characters instead of Sonic characters in the first two racing games. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

You also have to consider that on top of the Sonic brand name on the title, you also have the goodwill built up from a widely well regarded predecessor in Transformed. Most people won't know that there is a different team over at SUMO pulling the strings for this new one, but the good sales and wide dispersion of the previous game makes it that much easier to sell this new on on its pedigree rather than its merits. Transformed was good enough of a game that someone without knowledge of this one would probably lean towards picking it up if they saw it on a shelf. Their is a shadowy benifit to showing less as you do to the minimum to allow people to draw the distinction between Tranformed and ASR.

17 hours ago, FFWF said:

If, for instance, it was concept art that everyone was going gaga for, I expect they'd have been dropping a lot more concept art instead.

Never Forget

sonic4_concept_art.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 1

I doubt people will buy this because they are desperate after the lack of racing games but it wouldn't hurt. This game is nothing like Transformed, aside from a returning track and the obvious 7 characters they share, so they clearly aren't banking on sequel cash in, here gameplay is different, cast is (better) different, graphics are (worse) different, tracks are different, even the freaking power ups. They wanted to do a new thing that sets it apart from other racers and previous Sega titles. And they did it. As I said, I wouldn't want a series of racing games with the transforming gimmick. As a one time thing it feels more special, same for the teams. The cast... It's for these reasons:

1. More iconic and recognisable characters, not Zavok obviously but he was in 2 main games though, he's hated but relevant.

2. People asked for more Sonic characters, during the Transformed days, I know nobody including me asked for a full Sonic spin-off, but it's not blasphemy, it's a welcome surprise. I just wanted 4 more characters.

3. Teams fit Sonic after all. This is the biggest reason. 

With all this said, I do think Sega characters will return, even in this one, there is demand.

Nothing about this game is really a selling point. 

1. Now that Crash Team Racing was announced, people will mostly buy that game instead of Team Sonic Racing.

2. We also lost the other Sega characters, which means we have less variety in terms of tracks, characters, and themes. 

3. We also only have 15 characters, compared to the 25 - 30 we had in All-Stars Racing.

The only selling point is, that it is now Sonic only and that fans can play as a handful of Sonic's other friends, and if you think about it, we only have gotten 7 new friends, which two of them, Zavok and the Chaos, fans are not really interested in. So... if you think about it, we had to sacrifice all of the Sega characters, all of the unique tracks, all of Sega's history and legacy for just 5 new friends of Sonic. That is the only selling point this game has so that you now can play as with 5 new friends. 

That's it, that is everything. And Sega knows that. Why else would they rarely talk about this game? It has nothing to offer besides 5 new friends.

• Thumbs Up 2

Really? What about 18 new tracks, 3 returning ones, 12 players, traditional races,a unique team gameplay, team, visual and handling coustomization, a story mode, 15 power ups, team differences, tons of mechanics, remixes, tons of fanservice, Crush 40 Music, a variety of modes, online up to 12, main mode with tons of missions. What's missing is the roster, however while ASRT had more it still had a disappointing roster compared to the first chapter. There is nothing to show, yeah...

They didn't show us anything of that besides the music. And the Crush 40 title song is nothing special. It sounds way too similar to Live and Learn. So far we only had music and characters revealed and a few tracks. Nothing from the story mode, nothing from mission mode, almost no real high gameplay videos and the ones we got are in very bad quality. 

If they have something interesting to show, they would have done this already. After all, this game was set to be released at the end of last year.

So far they haven't done anything to hook people's interest, besides some of Sonic's shitty friends and a few music tracks.

Even the racing tracks we have seen so far look very impressive compared to ones from Transformed. Transformed first track was the Panzer Dragoon track and we got for TSR a basic Planet Wisp track... this is so lame... 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Rowl said:

They didn't show us anything of that besides the music. And the Crush 40 title song is nothing special. It sounds way too similar to Live and Learn. So far we only had music and characters revealed and a few tracks. Nothing from the story mode, nothing from mission mode, almost no real high gameplay videos and the ones we got are in very bad quality. 

If they have something interesting to show, they would have done this already. After all, this game was set to be released at the end of last year.

So far they haven't done anything to hook people's interest, besides some of Sonic's shitty friends and a few music tracks.

Even the racing tracks we have seen so far look very impressive compared to ones from Transformed. Transformed first track was the Panzer Dragoon track and we got for TSR a basic Planet Wisp track... this is so lame... 

Well, this is all coming from your perspective, of course it sounds lame. I'm not saying quality is better than Transformed (it's not) but content wise it offers about the same for the same price. I'm pleased with the fanservice so far... Just give me more characters (even Sega ones) and better marketing.

In a nutshell, the fans' perspective is almost always negative.

Please... we only got 15 characters and from the 21 tracks, 2 of them are already recycled ones. And they mighty will be even more, maybe the 3 Seaside Hill track will be once again one recycled from the first game. 

What really sucks, is that they do not even use the whole idea of Sonic only.  They had the chance to make this the first big Sonic only kart racing game and they couldn't even do that. They threw out all of the other Sega content for just the basic rehashed characters, themes, and settings they have been recycling for years now.

They do not even take the chance by making this a big celebration of Sonic's history. No! They just scratch the bare minimum. No real surprises, no real outstanding characters besides Chaos and Zavok, no outstanding tracks beside the two desert stages... everything in this game is just stuff we have seen a dozen times already. 

This is what sickens me so much about this game. They sacrificed all of the Sega characters, all of the Sega locations, unique gameplay mechanics, references, and throwbacks for just typical Sonic stuff we have seen so many times. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this metaphor still sums up the situation:

How I see this game: Sonic Heroes Colors Generations Racing

How other people see it: Sonic's ass Not-Transformed Racing Minus and without the "All-Stars".

10 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Really? What about 18 new tracks, 3 returning ones, 12 players, traditional races,a unique team gameplay, team, visual and handling coustomization, a story mode, 15 power ups, team differences, tons of mechanics, remixes, tons of fanservice, Crush 40 Music, a variety of modes, online up to 12, main mode with tons of missions. What's missing is the roster, however while ASRT had more it still had a disappointing roster compared to the first chapter. There is nothing to show, yeah...

Thing is, there's a big difference between doing all these things and doing all these things well.

Let's see: 18 new tracks? We don't know that, and I doubt only 3 are returning. At least 6 of these "new" are based on tracks that have been done before more than once. 

12 players per race is nothing special.

Traditional racing hasn't been confirmed AFAIK, despite being one of the things people were really concerned about it.

Team gameplay looks like a recipe to disaster from day 1. What the fuck I finished first place but my team mates finished 7th and 9th? I don't like that commitment with the AI.

We haven't seen anything from visual modifications, I'm starting to think that was misinterpretation.

The story mode will likely be just an arcade mode with stills and bubble dialogues with an opening CGI cutscene if we were luck. Basically it's gonna be a chore.

While the idea of Wisps as power-ups is smart, most around here are tired of them. It would've been much better if the power-ups were based on Sonic's world itens and gizmos, like shields, speed shoes, springs, Chaos Emeralds, badniks...

Team differences? Like any other game? Yeah, I would hate if every character played and looked the same.

Tons of mechanics and fan service? Where? Fan service would've been cool and obscure characters instead of the everyday cast plus some Chao and freaking Zavok. Or tracks based on some never seen in 3D zones instead of Rooftop Run again, Planet Wisp again, Seaside Hill again and likely more recycled places...

Cool remixes and Crush 40's main theme is the genuinely only good thing about this project. And even SEGA knows that, they've been promoting the music of this game more than the game itself lol

• Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 1

I for one think the team play could make or break this game.  It could be a disaster if the whole team is penalized even if one of them came in first, but the melee that might break out if other team mates are allowed to act as spoilers for the opponents could be a lot of fun.  I'm guessing that this will be more possible with human players than AI, though.

10 hours ago, Jango said:

Thing is, there's a big difference between doing all these things and doing all these things well.

Let's see: 18 new tracks? We don't know that, and I doubt only 3 are returning. At least 6 of these "new" are based on tracks that have been done before more than once. 

12 players per race is nothing special.

Traditional racing hasn't been confirmed AFAIK, despite being one of the things people were really concerned about it.

Team gameplay looks like a recipe to disaster from day 1. What the fuck I finished first place but my team mates finished 7th and 9th? I don't like that commitment with the AI.

We haven't seen anything from visual modifications, I'm starting to think that was misinterpretation.

The story mode will likely be just an arcade mode with stills and bubble dialogues with an opening CGI cutscene if we were luck. Basically it's gonna be a chore.

While the idea of Wisps as power-ups is smart, most around here are tired of them. It would've been much better if the power-ups were based on Sonic's world itens and gizmos, like shields, speed shoes, springs, Chaos Emeralds, badniks...

Team differences? Like any other game? Yeah, I would hate if every character played and looked the same.

Tons of mechanics and fan service? Where? Fan service would've been cool and obscure characters instead of the everyday cast plus some Chao and freaking Zavok. Or tracks based on some never seen in 3D zones instead of Rooftop Run again, Planet Wisp again, Seaside Hill again and likely more recycled places...

Cool remixes and Crush 40's main theme is the genuinely only good thing about this project. And even SEGA knows that, they've been promoting the music of this game more than the game itself lol

Planet Wisp is already a better choice as main stage than Seaside Hill and Green Hill. Although both are in this game… I believe. Planet Wisp and Rooftop Run haven't been milked enough yet. I just feel like the series needs a decent modern only game and this could be it, even though people don't find it exciting.

I'll give you the power ups thing because that would be way better but, still, you are using the excuse of "we haven't seen those features" "team gameplay looks like a disaster" and yet you are judging everything like you've seen the Whole thing already. "it's going to suck"

It's just a fan perspective IMO. I can play the same song with any game, including Transformed, here's an "Honest" review:

- Only 10 players. We thought 12 wasn't that special, likely not, but this is a minus.

- The roster is severely lacking compared to ASR, cutting several fan favorites like Opa-Opa, Bonanza Bros., Big the Cat, Billy Hatcher most importantly oh and the ChuChus that were a nice idea. Instead we get a mix of a generic plane and a Dreamcast controller no one asked for. NiGHTS is included but is actually a shitty car. And obviously we get the 4 "Clones" that were added to increase content in a cheap way. Not that Shadow isn't a clone either… just a popular one.

- Tracks are great, lots of fanservice and unique assets in what… 16 new tracks, which includes the "fan favorites" Seaside Hill and Sky Sanctuary. Plus no Space Channel 5 track AGAIN.

- The gameplay adds filler sections of boat and plane that break vastly from the main idea, and they also play weirdly. Reminds me of the "alternate playstyles" in the Adventure series.

- Difficulty makes this game a lot more hardcore and… well, that takes away most of the fun  had with the original ASR.

- The main mode is a cheap Super Mario Galaxy with islands and locations you don't get to play on, with a minor variety of missions than ASR.

- No single player battle mode. Eh.

- PC exclusives: my God, no one asked for General Winter, Shogun Total War, etc. And even if they did, they still don't fit the cartoony cast of this games. The only decent DLC was Ryo Hazuki and that was only for PC and the short lived mobile version… Oh yeah, the mobile one existed for a while and apparently was a flop.

Plus even though this game was acclaimed critically and fans remember it very well, it still didn't have an actual sequel, and no new games from Sumo until 7 years later. Did it sell well or not? Unclear. It's just that… the fun was taken away compared to ASR. Even the "casual" aspect of it which maybe would have been more successful. 

And this is all coming from somebody who loved ASRT and played the shit out of it (120 hours on Steam). I even prefer it to ASR which I replayed recently, it's good but more generic and without a real identity.

So this is basically to say that we can talk shit about every possible game. Not a good excuse to ignore the positive aspects. And in the end, I'm not gonna stop hoping TSR turns out decent.

Honestly, I have no doubt this game will end up just as fun as the original All-Stars Racing, if not better. The tracks seem far more varied, even with the "zone" aspect (which was my biggest gripe with ASR), and while the roster is not as large, we have the Team Adventure mode instead. Transformed easily had the best tracks, but lacked in the character selection, where I didn't care for any of the additions besides Vyse, Nights, Gilius and Musashi, while cutting half of the Sega cast for Danica Patricks.

For most fans this is a huge step back from Transformed, which was undeniably an amazing game, but I've played it with many friends and I noticed all of them disliked the transforming gameplay for being difficult to get into, and only wanted to play the classic tracks. The first All-Stars Racing was much more accessible, so I get why they pressed the reset button there and developed it in another direction for mass appeal. The team gameplay seems easier to get into and has huge potential for multiplayer, if it ends up working online. And from the gameplay videos I've seen, all you really gotta do is share your items when you're in 1st and the bots will perform just as well as you.

Okay, this is what TSR should be. Gorgeous animations and graphics, enjoyable gameplay, heart and soul put into it. I already knew Crash would give Sonic some hard competition (in a race? Kind of a bad joke), he wins easily. It has more traditional gameplay like any other racer, sure, but I guess people prefer it that way. What I said about TSR and wanting it to be good is still true. It's just... Why can't Sumo accomplish this? I'm gonna wait to see a proper trailer before I declare doom and gloom for myself. But be sure, that if Sonic fails: no more Sonic or Sega spin-offs for another decade, Modern Sonic is already taking the backseat because of the Forces situation, they really need to get their shitty together to make a good game. I'm really hoping TSR can at least be a good spin-off, to save the situation. Otherwise we are in big trouble.

• Thumbs Up 3

Not only that but it is also market better than TSR. CTR has been announced only a few months ago and we already have seen much more of the game and the developers also told us much more of it. With TSR on the other hand... we already knew about this game for more than half of a year, and they barely told us anything about it. This short video that you have posted showed us more of the gameplay than all of the TSR videos combined in the last 6 months.

Sega is so lucky that Sonic is such a beloved figure and that his name alone will bring kids, families and loyal fans to buy this game. Every other series with such poor marketing will most likely fail with sales. 

• Thumbs Up 6

It might be the nostalgia goggles, but I always enjoyed Crash Team Racing far more than any Mario Kart (+All-Stars Racing). Everything about that game feels just right, and it was clear from the beginning that TSR wouldn't hold a candle to a remake. The 2-player video I saw not only shows that Coco is really annoying, but that Sonic Racing completely misses these little character moments and animations bringing life to the game, rather than just trash talk. I was hoping they would use the delay to add those, but the game probably wasn't close to finished in the first place.

I wouldn't put the blame on Sumo though. The studio made two great racers and I'm sure the new team is talented as well, but it's clear they have very little to work with. From a baby budget to Sonic Team dictating character choices, team gameplay, courses and probably more, it would be a much better game with more love put into if they had more freedom. Not to mention they wanted to make a follow-up to Transformed which Sega shot down, probably in their Boom craze. I'll still support both games since I know Sumo are good developers for Sonic who put effort into their work, compared to whatever lifeless cash-in Forces was supposed to be.

I just don't think Sumo has a passion for Sonic like they do for Sega. Obviously the higher ups gave the restrictions and roster (tracks included) selection. Sumo hasn't exactly had a good track record with their games apparently. Who else should we blame? If not the developers, I obviously respect their work and effort put into the game. Most of the reasons this game has little content and a low budget is for the Lost World and Boom fiasco, and rest assured if this game goes ka-boom in sales, that the budget and content will be even less next time. As much as Mania is a good game it still had a low budget and few new ideas, even the DLC wasn't much, Forces had low budget as well, the only saving thing could be that they both sold well.

3 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I just don't think Sumo has a passion for Sonic like they do for Sega. Obviously the higher ups gave the restrictions and roster (tracks included) selection. Sumo hasn't exactly had a good track record with their games apparently. Who else should we blame? If not the developers, I obviously respect their work and effort put into the game. Most of the reasons this game has little content and a low budget is for the Lost World and Boom fiasco, and rest assured if this game goes ka-boom in sales, that the budget and content will be even less next time. As much as Mania is a good game it still had a low budget and few new ideas, even the DLC wasn't much, Forces had low budget as well, the only saving thing could be that they both sold well.

...When one does'nt get the Game Industry.

It's been repeated a few times in the thread this is the Nottingham team at Sumo not the Sheffield team that worked on Transformed.