Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

SEGA's marketing and business decisions are extremely bizarre when it comes to Sonic. Don't show any content from the game for ages and also don't allow anyone to pre-order it digitally.

Eh, okay.

Is there such a thing as digital returns/refunds?

Be careful about steam and midnight launches. MK11 did not become public till later that afternoon.

I'm ready and waiting to check the eShop midnight UK time, but I doubt whether it will be there.

Just means I'll have to jump on it as soon as in the morning.

5 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

About Zavok...

Hide contents

it’s entirely possible Zavok IS a Phantom Ruby clone. Given that he was baked in lava the last time we saw him, and that it was clear he disliked Eggman due to his brainwashing, his portrayal here seems odd, but, what about all the Phantom Ruby Easter eggs! Could it not be such an Easter Egg after all?

Eggman and Bowser have survived worse. For all we know, lava isn't lethal to Zetis.

34 minutes ago, mayday2592 said:

Eggman and Bowser have survived worse. For all we know, lava isn't lethal to Zetis.

Bowser turned into a cool zombie skeleton though

1 hour ago, mayday2592 said:

Or they didn't actually become submerged in it.

Either way, we've technically known they were still around for a while.

So, I just watched a video showcasing every track. About the 3 Eggman base tracks: disappointed, but not surprised. Great remixes tho', but this is a game before anything else. A new one even, not a remake like CTR... Over one third of the game is old tracks. Sigh.

Sure we had this information even before the delay, but a little part of me still believed that they would add new tracks. It doesn't help that many of these tracks share the same theme aswell, which decreases the variety even further. It's like Generations all over again. A fairly solid game somewhere in a land of missed opportunities.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Or they didn't actually become submerged in it.

Either way, we've technically known they were still around for a while.

Well Bowser did he became dry bowser

Coolest bowser form

7 hours ago, Jango said:

So, I just watched a video showcasing every track. About the 3 Eggman base tracks: disappointed, but not surprised. Great remixes tho', but this is a game before anything else. A new one even, not a remake like CTR... Over one third of the game is old tracks. Sigh.

Sure we had this information even before the delay, but a little part of me still believed that they would add new tracks. It doesn't help that many of these tracks share the same theme aswell, which decreases the variety even further. It's like Generations all over again. A fairly solid game somewhere in a land of missed opportunities.

It's a budget game, it's cheap. Crash has more content, but TSR still manages to have a more interesting gameplay IMO. I wish we could have a game that has both a cool new gameplay AND tons of content. But yeah, both are great games though, just not perfect...

8 hours ago, Jango said:

At the very least, the three acts of Rooftop Run, Glacier Land and Sandopolis are all more than distinct enough from each other too stop the themes from being repetitive. The returning courses and Planet Wisp aren't as varied visually across their acts, but they all have unique element too them. Not ideal, but much better in execution than it sounds on paper.

And that can't be stressed enough when in comes to the returning tracks. Because of the new mechanics in play and the immense visual overhaul seen in each (even on Ocean View, the lone track from ASRT), they feel almost entirely new. That's the impression that I'm getting from people like @Mayor D and critics - Sumo did a good job of refreshing all the content. I was really worried about the sheer number of returning tracks. But I'm no longer concerned about it, even though it would be better if there were more brand new ones.

• Thumbs Up 4

31 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

they feel almost entirely new. That's the impression that I'm getting from people like @Mayor D 

They are. 

But even aside from the gameplay, they're not a copy pasta of the old tracks, they have some minor changes here and there as well as improved visuals and a few new hazards.

Also did a mini review and analysis. I say mini because there was a lot more I could have talked about.

Crash TR vs Sonic TSR, almost identical name, same year. Crazy world. At least we're not competing with Mario for once.

So I have a stupid question: Sonic has a complicated history, waring fan factions and gameplay that requires care and balance. With that said: did ANYONE asked for in-level banter? Dear Chaos, Sonic Heroes was 16 years ago and it was terrible idea back then. Time Eater, Lost World, Forces, now this.

Sega needs to hire a detective, cause they can't get a clue.

As for story of the game

Spoiler

....I say that rarely buy, maybe this game would be better with no story at all. Let's be honest, it couldn't really work. How do you make a racing story with "Still-image" budget? Any attempt for action/drama is dead, only option is this stress-free interaction game.

But nothing is happening (and yet game has 1h of story, more than some main tittles!), so characters don't have anything to talk about. Rouge isn't stealing stuff, Silver isn't saving the future, no one is racing for stakes, so they just talk about superficial stuff and then repeat same conversation over and over. Even Shadow/Sonic rivalry, so underline in trailers, is barely here.

Characters are mostly fine, it's nice that Vector is detective and not an idiot and Eggman has... one or two funny jokes. Some lame, but at least not cringe-worthy. With that said
- Shadow and Knuckles would work if not for their voice actors.
- Zavok is terribly OOC. Game puts so much effort at addressing lore (Silver/Blaze origins, dark and hero chao, etc) but they ignored the biggest plot hole. At least they could make it un-easy alliance with Eggman and Zavok barely holding from attacking each other. That would add some chemistry.
- And then there is super-bland Amy and one-note "race cool, yeah" Sonic. I'm starting to think Sega removed Amy's crush, so Sonic could emote even less.

And finally we have Dodon Pa and he's... just kinda stupid. Game hammers into our head he's like putting innocent in danger, has high ego and resembles Eggman in mannerism... only to reveal he's a okay dude and IDK we should forget everything we established at first. And he can travel through time and through dimensions and he's king and alien and Tony Stark... who wrote that? High person and 5 year old?

At least I can say it's better than Free Riders, because Team Dark and Rose aren't abusing their team members (even if Riders 3 had less repetitive cut-scenenes). With that said, my favorite "still images" Sonic story was in Rivals 2. Plot was stupid, but they went with it. Characters were split into teams, so we had friend interactions, conflict and unique pairings. It wasn't great by any means, but I liked watching Rouge mess with everyone, Silver rambling like crazy about collecting chao or Shadow/Metal little friendship.

At the end of the day, story isn't that 'bad', you jut wonder why it's even here

The new music remixes already make the old tracks feel new to me.

But yeah, at least two more enviroments, maybe a Jungle, City, and Death Egg wouldn't have hurt to get close to 30 tracks.

47 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Dear Chaos, Sonic Heroes was 16 years ago and it was terrible idea back then.

No it wasn't, plenty of games do it....

It just doesn't belong in a racing game.

Or just story mode only.

So, is there a reason this game still isn’t on the PS Store in North America or...?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's exactly what I expected. A fun racer that has a fun mechanic at its core. The team racing really is an interesting addition to a kart racer with how it's presented here, and I'm getting stuck in.

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

At the very least, the three acts of Rooftop Run, Glacier Land and Sandopolis are all more than distinct enough from each other too stop the themes from being repetitive. The returning courses and Planet Wisp aren't as varied visually across their acts, but they all have unique element too them. Not ideal, but much better in execution than it sounds on paper.

And that can't be stressed enough when in comes to the returning tracks. Because of the new mechanics in play and the immense visual overhaul seen in each (even on Ocean View, the lone track from ASRT), they feel almost entirely new. That's the impression that I'm getting from people like @Mayor D and critics - Sumo did a good job of refreshing all the content. I was really worried about the sheer number of returning tracks. But I'm no longer concerned about it, even though it would be better if there were more brand new ones.

Eh.. I saw gameplay of each returning track, and they barely feel any different. Granted, there's a few extra shortcuts to make use of the tech type and more hazards to the power type knock out, but it's still 90% the same track with a new remix. This isn't like Mania, where there's bits of the track straight from the level it's revisiting, but most of the layout is new, TSR is the other way around. And dare I say Ocean View looked better in Transformed (yes I mean visually). Gameplay looks fun, but I doubt I'll be able to enjoy it with my 1mbps internet speed, unless I'm playing with someone from my city. Granted I can play offline with my gf, but she isn't much of a gamer. Team gameplay with AI tho'? No way.

And since Crash Team Racing is 40 dolars and it's coming out in exactly a month (unless it gets delayed), I'll stick with the bandicoot. I'll give my money to the hedgehog when or if a Mania 2 happens or if a miracle happens at Sonic Team.

What I took from Mayor D was that the game while fun is still under Transformed in a earlier post probably changed mind now? Ive seen a few here and there say that though.

Now to wait and see if Sega will support this with dlc. If they choose not to then like the last two games I will get everything within 2 weeks. Play it for around 6 months and put i back on the shelf and bring it back out on slow days. Got to go get it later today.

Might be a stupid question but - is TSR meant to have a bigger install? I got a disc version and installed it and the patch, alright. I play it at first, and all options seem to be available. Alright, I then go into tips so I could get an idea of the mechanics of the game, back out, and suddenly every option is gone bar Team Adventure, and everything else says the feature hasn’t been installed yet.

That would be well and good, given it’s the PS4 version and the PS4 allows early playing while the game installs, but there’s no indication whatsoever this is the actual case on my PS4, as usually a game will have an update file with a “data needed to start game” and then the full size of the patch, and that isn’t there. On top of it, the game is already 16GB on my PS4, which is the advertised 13GB needed plus the 1.2 GB patch.

So what’s going on here?

Edit: Nvm, it’s working now, seems it did just need an additional 10 minutes to finish the install, strangely.

Playstation has some of the worst download speeds so not surprisingly you ran into that

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

I agree. After I saw them in action it didn't bother me much. They really feel fresh.

So should I get this for PC or ps4 pro. Running a rtx but doubt it will require it on PC. Trying to run it the best possible

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

So should I get this for PC or ps4 pro. Running a rtx but doubt it will require it on PC. Trying to run it the best possible

I’d say PS4, due to Denuvo being present on the PC version and being infamous for fucking with performance. I’m playing on Pro and the game feels very smooth and the graphics are incredibly crisp.

————————

On another note, I’ve been playing TSR for an hour or two, won’t give full feelings yet, but I do think the core game is extremely fun, and the Team mechanic works so much better than you’d think with such a concept. Having to think about your team and how to boost them forward along with yourself gives a twist that makes you worry more about simply staying ahead, and makes the game feel a bit more involved even if you have a lead. It just feels really good when it all works together in tandem. 

That said, the gimmick modes like Daredevil and Ring Collector suck IMO. Requirements for both are insane and they just do not feel fun to play compared to the rest of the game.

Just a quick note to let you all know that our review has gone live! Check it out here:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2019/05/tss-review-team-sonic-racing/

Overall, I really enjoyed it! It's not beating out ASR or ASR Transformed, but in my head I don't think that was its goal; it introduces a lot of unique gameplay mechanics and if you look at it as a kind of experiment I think it's one that's paid off! I actually ended up enjoying the Team modes a lot more than the 'Standard' kart racing play (whether that's just because the tracks aren't designed so much to be interesting for solo / non-team play or not, I'm not sure), and I'll probably miss any kart racer without an ability to fling items to teammates now haha. 😄

• Thumbs Up 4