Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Wait, poor sales? I thought this reached a decent place on a chart or whatever?

The game sold for $10 less than its initial MSRP at launch and is currently trending towards the bargain bin. It was outsold by 4x to Crash. 

I don’t think this game will do well.

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Team Sonic Racing isn't a bad game though, certainly not one that's gonna knock Sonic's rep down. If anything, the team mechanic was done very well despite sounding utterly idiotic. It plays distinct enough to separate itself from MK and Crash too.

That said, I think what ultimately caused it's downfall is just it's budget. I think if it got the budget of All-Stars Transformed, this could've really been fantastic. 

It’s a significant step down from the previous games. You’re right it’s not terrible but when you have something amazing like Generations or Transformed, I don’t want to be seeing Forces or Team Racing afterwards.

1 minute ago, Autosaver said:

It’s a significant step down from the previous games. You’re right it’s not terrible but when you have something amazing like Generations or Transformed, I don’t want to be seeing Forces or Team Racing afterwards.

I honestly think it's kind of a preference thing. I'm not too big into other SEGA stuff, so to me, I liked the Sonic-only focused. Not helped by the fact that I didn't enjoy Transformed as much as the original All-Stars Racing since it had a significant difficulty bump (I need to go back and try it again at some point though). So for me personally at least, it wasn't a step-down as much as I just wish it wasn't as half-baked as it ended up being.

Forces to Gens is no contest though.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Autosaver said:

The game sold for $10 less than its initial MSRP at launch and is currently trending towards the bargain bin. It was outsold by 4x to Crash. 

I'll admit that I don't know much about game budgets vs sales and whatever, but I was vaguely under the impression this game was doing alright in the weeks it's been out.

To say nothing of it being a relatively cheap spinoff.

15 hours ago, LukA8 said:

The thing is CTR deserved a much higher sales debut than TSR, I won't compare budgets since it's different companies but it's obvious how much passion and care went into the former, while Sumo were forced to take several shortcuts with the game to the point it ended up as a Sonic compilation of All-Stars content with half a new game built around it. If TSR was moving just as many copies Sega would get the wrong message from, getting away with not putting any effort into their titles.

However it wasn't "murdered by CTR" either the way some made it out to be. The game rose six places up to #12 on the UK charts this week after a full month, so if it won't continue doing well in the long run then that's not because kart racers are unable to coexist but because Sega are unwilling to patch and support it at all. The online mode is still awful despite potentially being a blast thanks to the team gameplay, but my guess is they'll move on to a sequel instead for 2022/23, just like the jump from All-Stars Racing to Transformed. Iizuka talking about Dodon Pa returning for future racing competitions pretty much confirms this.

There's very little chance of this game getting too much support from here on in. It does kind of feel like, nowadays, when they release a game they kind of just throw it out there to see how it does and then move on. That's not to say that the game was an afterthought or anything. It's a really fun game, for what it is, but the lack of concerted effort compared to its predecessors is something that sticks out like a huge bleeding sore thumb. It's too obvious. It's not even the fact that it's Sonic only. Even for a Sonic Only racer, they barely scratched the surface of what they could do with their levels and especially with their roster. 

CTR out of the gate has 10 more characters than TSR and plans to include more for free, which is still still astonishing considering it's up against a series that was so lauded for having "too many" characters. Not to mention it looks as though it's got way more going on with it's presentation and it's method of story-telling.

TSR, I'm not too worried about sales wise but I do kind of wish this slump of trying to skirt by on the bare minimum would end. It's not a bad game at all but frustratingly half-baked as far as content and presentation. That's why I always bemoan the "Gameplay is most important. Nothing else matters" crowd.

The gameplay is fine. It functions. Hurray? What else you got?

Level design? Level gimmicks? Art-Style? Story? Characters? All this needs significant attention paid to it as well. TSR Overdrive and TSR's Soundtrack look and sound as though they're supposed to belong to a game that's far more than something that's just technically adequate.

• Thumbs Up 4

11 hours ago, Autosaver said:

I'm disappointed noone used the headline "How a hedgehog got run over by a bandicoot".

19 hours ago, Autosaver said:

A big warning came from the announcement that the B team of Sumo was heading this project while the A team (ASRT) was working on bigger projects. I believe the main team as working on Crackdown 3 for the longest time, and have quite a few other projects in the pipeline.

I didn’t have as much faith in the B team especially because the game looks like the budget was severely restricted. The game also took out a lot of beloved features and focused on recycling Sonic assets. The performance issues also seem like they didn’t have as much time to optimize, or were just not as good as the previous teams when it comes to refining the game.

Overall not sure why this game was even made when it seems like an afterthought. My only guess is they need another game to close the gaps while also pushing sales of Sonic merchandise.

That sounds like a good theory, given several of the characters's merchandise is often sought after, such as Blaze, Rouge, Metal Sonic, or Big. Maybe also to sell more music, of course?

Unless they can update the game on a regular basis like CTR with all the free (!) DLC coming out in the next few months, TSR is NOT going to have the legs that Crash will undoubtedly have.

For example, when there were complaints about the awful online multiplayer in CTR, Beenox patched the game day one and now the online works just fine! I know that Aaron Webber recently posted that Sumo would be fixing their online servers soon too, but I don’t think it has happened yet? And TSR’s online is almost dead already. I managed to get some of those trophies before it goes completely dead though (I’ll get back to the rest of the game after Persona 5 lol ;D)..

Anyways, from what little I’ve played of TSR it’s not bad at all. In fact I think it’s pretty fun, and the team mechanics work surprisingly well! Obviously the music is killer and some of the stages are well designed and visually stunning too. My biggest issues are a severe lack of content, repetitive stage design and some jank moments. I really hope that Sega/Sumo Digital add new content and patches to TSR, because it desperately needs that, but knowing their recent pattern with future DLC in Sonic games I’m not sure we’ll get any. =[

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

29 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

For example, when there were complaints about the awful online multiplayer in CTR, Beenox patched the game day one and now the online works just fine! 

Except it really doesn't. People on Reddit reporting issues hours after the patch, and I personally experienced godawful issues where every single lobby I went into got dropped before the match could begin, and in the one match that did begin, the game was unstable and utterly laggy, and it certainly wasn't my internet.

That's not mentioning them taking a week to patch a massive game-breaking bug, and taking even a week to publicly warn and inform people about it, long after it's too little too late.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

I know that Aaron Webber recently posted that Sumo would be fixing their online servers soon too, but I don’t think it has happened yet?

Sumo put out a patch about 3 days after launch that fixed most of the worst online problems. It was dang near-unplayable before that.

I've been playing online on the PS4 without issues's since then. Are other people still dropping matches?

Looking back I don't think development for this title went smoothly at all. When the game's existence was first confirmed by the person who also leaked the Avatar for Forces,  he mentioned it was scheduled for early 2018 but was pushed to the holidays...yet it ended up releasing half a year later on top of that. Around the delay, Sumo even started hiring for a racing game, allegedly for their next project but I think we know it wasn't only that.

Now, the core game ended up pretty decent despite light on content, but the part that was really hit by this was the online mode. There's tons of complaints about it and while it works for the most part on the PS4, yesterday I noticed something weird: A player left and rejoined in the middle of the race, probably due to connection problems, and somehow this triggered a bug that allowed other players to join the lobby while the race was still going, and it was filled up with 12 players when I got back, and even said "Game in Progress" instead of showing the usual timer. This must be an intended feature for the mode that is disabled for whatever reason, and something that should be a given for any online game, since it allows lobbies to actually fill up instead of throwing you an into empty one while ten others lobbies are going with maybe two, three people. It's how it works with Transformed or any Mario Kart, for that matter, and is crucial later in a game's life span if you don't want the online community to just drop it.

So the only conclusion I can come to is that the online mode is still unfinished. Steam users aren't even able to join a lobby with their friends from what I've heard, and that's probably the reason why there wasn't any pre-order or pre-load for the game at all, because they were working on it until the last minute. Apparently patches for PC and Switch are still on the way, but I'm unsure if they will actually finish the online experience or just let it die and move on to the next project/sequel - which is a shame because the team races online are so much fun when it does work.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/27/2019 at 2:34 AM, Tarnish said:

I'm disappointed noone used the headline "How a hedgehog got run over by a bandicoot".

“Who also ran over a sponge.” Anyone even remember that Nickelodeon racer? 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:01 AM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

There's very little chance of this game getting too much support from here on in. It does kind of feel like, nowadays, when they release a game they kind of just throw it out there to see how it does and then move on.

I think you're right to a degree there , however if a game takes off like Sonic Mania did then Sega have shown more than a willingness to support it. I mean with that game alone we got some nice DLC and a spectacular physical edition to boot.

Then again I suppose you could also argue that Mania wasn't really made by Sega. 

As for TSR , I thought it was supposed to have sold well , even doubling what Transformed sold in the same time frame and topping the charts , well for the UK anyway.

With Mania, people were practically begging for a physical release and it was clear Sega missed out on a ton of potential customers (Let alone missing out on people buying a second copy just to get a physical game) if they didnt'do something.
And that game was winning awards left and right and had the internet singing it's praises.

Sad to say TSR is miles away from that kind of position.
And if, say, Sonic Generations wasn't worth Sega's time for DLC levels despite a ton of people clamoring for that, then TSR really doesn't stand a chance.
Alas, it just seems to be a throwaway game to fill the time between the 25th anniversary games and the 30th anniversary games.
Doomed to be one of those games only to be remembered in an occasional "oh yeah, I forgot that game also exists" fleeting thought like Sonic Shuffle, Sonic Boom fire and ice, etc.
Shame, it's a fun game, but just doesn't have any WOW factor to make it stick.

• Thumbs Up 3

The previous two racing games got DLC in some shape or form. In the first game it was Metal Sonic as a playable character along with the Death Egg stage. In ASRT we had 6 DLC characters....granted they were PC exclusive but it was still something. It's not impossible to say this game might get some additional content later down the line. 

Tinkered around with the customization a bit before finally taking the game out for a while. 

Its amazing how ugly most other character's colors look on the Dragoon. 

Tinkered around with the customization a bit before finally taking the game out for a while. 

17 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

(Let alone missing out on people buying a second copy just to get a physical game) if they didnt'do something.

Between the original purchase (collectors edition no less), the physical plus re-release to sit on my shelf and the DLC-plus expansion to the original I brought the game several times over.

I wonder.... Did Sega come out ahead in the end by not leading off with the physical release? I have to imagine a not-too insignificant potion of people picked up a second copy. I wonder if that was more than enough to out weigh anyone who passed on picking the game up at launch due to lack of store-presence/physical copy... who knows.

That being said, the Mania DLC was green-lit in no small part due to its potential profitability. Tie that to the physical copy, which was going to sell (at a higher price point no less) and you had a 1 - 2 punch of profitability to jump on board with. STR doesn't have that kind of appeal. There isn't a realistic DLC package you could design big enough to make that kind of buzz.

On 6/26/2019 at 12:39 AM, thumbs13 said:

Are they forgotten? By fans, everybody always talks about loving Black Knight's characterization and voice direction, and the "I'm not a rat, I'm a hedgehog" scene was memed a lot.
By Sega, it got referenced in Generations and the Comics, runners gives it love, Knight of the Wind and Seven Rings in hand are in both mario and sonic and smash, and the Sonic Movie twitter referenced it.
Bad is arguable, but the games aren't really forgotten.

To me, the only memorable thing about Black Knight is the villain (and the soundtrack, as mentioned before).

1 hour ago, Liars said:

To me, the only memorable thing about Black Knight is the villain (and the soundtrack, as mentioned before).

That's a fair opinion and all, but calling the games is super disingenuous. 

Voice clips for the characters are up on YouTube now. 

Some of these are lines that I've never heard; some of which are longer than usual, too. 

Off-topic but who watched the new Spiderman movie?? Makes me think of Sonic Forces because...

Spoiler

THE ILLUSIONS!!! Marvel did it right and made us paranoid, the 4 giants were fake!

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Off-topic but who watched the new Spiderman movie?? Makes me think of Sonic Forces because...

Reveal hidden contents

THE ILLUSIONS!!! Marvel did it right and made us paranoid, the 4 giants were fake!

Not entirely sure this is where that belongs.

And I made the mistake of clicking this.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Not entirely sure this is where that belongs.

And I made the mistake of clicking this.

You should still watch the movie, there's so much more

I posted this in the Crash thread, but I'm copying it over here because I think it's pertinent.

Is there any hard evidence that TSR was made on a very low budget, because I don't think getting a delay indicates a 'ridiculously low' budget to be honest.

Because, people assume a lot of tracks were just imported from the past Sonic racing games when it could have been an artistic decision. That and the returning levels are completely remade and would have had a lot of money and resources put into them.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Plasme said:

I posted this in the Crash thread, but I'm copying it over here because I think it's pertinent.

Is there any hard evidence that TSR was made on a very low budget, because I don't think getting a delay indicates a 'ridiculously low' budget to be honest.

Because, people assume a lot of tracks were just imported from the past Sonic racing games when it could have been an artistic decision. That and the returning levels are completely remade and would have had a lot of money and resources put into them.

When I was playing the Ocean View track, I noticed that the laps were a lot shorter than the other laps of certain other stages in the game and the thought occurred to me that most likely, the reason for this was because it was the only track taken directly from Transformed. In that game, the first lap or two of Ocean View is on land and then it shifts to a boating segment. The version of Ocean View in TSR and the one in Transformed only have very minor differences. It wasn't extended in any way to fit with the length of some of the other, more original tracks like Boo's House and Haunted Castle which explains why completing 3 laps in Ocean View takes such a less amount of time. Most of the original obstacles and shortcuts were just removed. Looking at the footage of both stages, it doesn't even really look like they made the road's any wider to account for the team gimmick.

The rest of the tracks are from the very first All-Stars game. They all share the exact same names (Dark Arsenal, Turbine Loop, Thunder Deck, Roulette Road, etc.) and flow from set-piece to set-piece in the exact same way. If they truly were completely remade, the differences are so incredibly minor that it's almost negligible. 

Now, I don't think this is proof that Team Sonic Racing was on a low budget but it certainly would go a long way towards explaining why there's so little that's new here. Even in some of the original levels, some of them use old assets from the previous All-Stars racers in ways that are incredibly obvious. Like Haunted Castle is just re-using the same green goop that was in the Curien Mansion levels from before. 

There are original assets in here but they seem to be used sparingly too. So much of what I recall from the Ice stages are just a lot of blue ice. Frozen Junkyard has the same crates in it that Ice Mountain has and one or two frozen over Death Egg Robots from Forces but that's about it. Hidden Volcano has the lava assets from the previous games used to good enough effect but the differences are still a strain to recall from memory.

There's also the fact that it was confirmed a while back that the team working on this one is new to Sumo. They got advice from the ones who worked on the past games but other than that, they were on their own. That doesn't necessarily indicate a low budget but it might indicate that the normal team was probably working on something that was of a higher priority when it came to money and finances.

I can't really see why it'd be an artistic decision to have certain areas that had their own different gimmicks going for them (Market Street, Haunted Castle, and Sky Road are almost completely different from each other) but also having 3 locations that pretty much have the same look and feel to them from level to level. The only real huge difference between some of the Casino levels (that took me a while to even notice) was that one of them was set in Space while the other two were just merely high up in the sky. 

We may not know for sure but it feels like the definite safest bet to assume the budget was low. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

When I was playing the Ocean View track, I noticed that the laps were a lot shorter than the other laps of certain other stages in the game and the thought occurred to me that most likely, the reason for this was because it was the only track taken directly from Transformed. In that game, the first lap or two of Ocean View is on land and then it shifts to a boating segment. The version of Ocean View in TSR and the one in Transformed only have very minor differences. It wasn't extended in any way to fit with the length of some of the other, more original tracks like Boo's House and Haunted Castle which explains why completing 3 laps in Ocean View takes such a less amount of time. Most of the original obstacles and shortcuts were just removed. Looking at the footage of both stages, it doesn't even really look like they made the road's any wider to account for the team gimmick.

No, they really didn't.

Particularly that one spot where there are three pillars you hop down.