Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

At this time of year, at this time of day, and this part of the country, localised entirely within you carage?

I may have seen it.

I was actually totally fine with the All-Stars, to be honest. I just wanted more Sonic content and they listened to me! This is how I would handle the roster for a sequel:

Sonic Cast - 15 characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Dr. Eggman, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Big, Rouge, Blaze, Silver, Vector and the Chao (which I think are a cute and brilliant addition)

Now let's add Jet and Infinite as newcomers.

SEGA Cast - 17 characters: AiAi, Ulala, Amigo, NiGHTS, BD Joe, Beat, Ryo Hazuki, Billy Hatcher, Alex Kidd, GIlius Thunderhead, Vyse and Hornet.

Plus let's add Amitie, Vectorman (motorcycle) and Axel Stone as newcomers.

DLC: Classic Sonic (red car from Drift), Joe Musashi and Hatsune Miku.

Seems a pretty good roster to me.

So, I got a chance to play a few races in Team Sonic Racing at PAX West over the weekend. I'll share my personal impressions here.

I'll get this out of the way first - There definitely were noticeable frame drops while playing, but, they actually weren't that bad all things considered. It was nothing compared to something like Jungle Joyride Day in Unleashed, and it didn't really affect my races in any way, so that alleviates one of my major concerns with this game. The fact remains though that, unless they fix this before release, there will definitely be some slowdown as you play this game.

With that out of the way, I actually enjoyed playing this. I did a race in the Cool Edge track, and a few in the Planet Wisp track. The Planet Wisp music was catchy, but nothing too special. The Cool Edge track, however, had a nice version of the Cool Edge Day music from Sonic Unleashed that, from what I could tell, seemed close to the original but a bit more upbeat. I liked it.

The game felt very similar to the All-Stars Racing games in how it played. It had the same kind of drifting controls and trick system and everything. The track design seemed to be pretty decent. I noticed quite a few alternate routes between my races, if nothing else. As far as the team gimmick goes, it's cool that you and your teammates can share item boxes and stuff, but otherwise it didn't really seem like anything too special. My teammates seemed to be about on the same level as I was in all of my races, for better or worse.

The banter between the characters that I saw were mostly pretty generic lines. Stuff like "Take that, Shadow!" and whatnot. That "Who's your daddy, Shadow?" line fortunately seems to be the outlier, since I didn't see anything cringeworthy like that during any of my races. The only thing I could really specifically remember was Blaze actually complimenting her opponent after falling into one of their traps. She said something along the lines of "Well played, Rouge."

So yeah, I had a mostly positive experience with Team Sonic Racing. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I'm excited for it, but, I definitely have more confidence in this game now than I did previously.

• Thumbs Up 9

Considering that we usually find out about a Sonic game’s release date by now, and the fact that we don’t know one for this yet, anyone else thinking the game might be delayed?

1 hour ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Considering that we usually find out about a Sonic game’s release date by now, and the fact that we don’t know one for this yet, anyone else thinking the game might be delayed?

Starting to think that probably just after Gamescom and the reaction that the game got, well it needed the delay to make it better. Amazon changed their date to a placeholder one, Argos had a date of November originally (and a specific one too) but that has changed to TBA and the other places that I checked just had TBA 2018 on them. Sega of Japan still lists it as Winter but doesn't list a year so it could be early 2019 instead, judging by the PS4 release where Yakuza 5 is listed as 2019 and the game was in between that and the TBA Catherine Full Body.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Mayor D said:

I should get the chance to play this at the end of the month at EGX.

Anyone else going?

Yep. I'll be going on Saturday and will hopefully be trying out the game too.

I guess this slipped under the radar.

lu1j8uep29k11.png.946e0ce3b884fc372abeb21e3909d7cd.png

There was a NASCAR race earlier today (originally scheduled for Saturday but moved to Monday because weather) that took place in Indianapolis Motor Speedway with Christopher Bell as the driver. They've got the car finished in 8th place. (Which I was kinda bummed since it looked like he was gonna win until he sorta fell back at the last 20 laps.)

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 2

Smash Bros. Ultimate has forever spoiled me when it comes to expectations. Even if I did find this roster acceptable my desire for an EVERYONE IS HERE in the next game cannot be quelled. Yeah, that's not gonna happen, of course. They couldn't even get the entire main Sonic cast in here, much less all the people who appeared in the past Racing Games, but man is it fun thinking about it.

Imagination is a good thing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In going to miss a lot of features from the old games. This is so watered down it feels like. Sega all stars specials and transformed were so fun. From super sonic to shinobi firing attacks with that God tier theme.  in this from what I've seen. Its basically the hold mushroom from Mario cart

But am sure it will go on sale before kh comes out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not interested in this game at all, its not for me. However I want it to do well because I want Sonic to do well in general.

So if people are saying its lackluster compared to All-stars or whatever, I really hope they do delay it a few months. 

Sumo Digital and SEGA do benefit from this specific game being very good, but, not TOO too good!  There will probably be a sequel game at some point, possibly even for the 30th anniversary!!  So it is helpful for there to be lots of room to grow including in character roster and the overall feel of the gameplay.

How I see this game: "Sonic Heroes Colors Generations on Modest Racing"

How everyone else sees it: "Sonic Minus Sega All-Stars Not Transformed Forced to play as a team"

• Thumbs Up 3

Im so bummed Shadow didn't get in Smash, he;s not even in that game anymore period(thanks Knuckles), it's not like this game will give him a milestone treatment(racing), this is just another mandatory appearance for fan service but to me Shadow will never be as popular as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are as main figurehead icons for the series, because he'll keep being given less quality roles and game play mechanics that won't change his near controversial divide amongst older Sonic fans and casual gamers. Smash was the only game that Shadow had a shot in actually reinventing his impact to fans again and pretty much totally redeeming him to modern sonic haters or general sonic haters. At least he would have new game mechanics that could generally be interesting or even unique in being totally unique from sonic for a change.

31 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Im so bummed Shadow didn't get in Smash, he;s not even in that game anymore period(thanks Knuckles)

Still 2 months to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and they literally just announced Isabelle as a new fighter for the game just over an hour ago. I doubt she would be the final reveal for that game, and entirely possible there will be at least one more SSBU Direct before release. I wouldn't give up yet, especially with the focus on Echo fighters.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

I am glad my concerns that the music will not be remixes of Sonic Stages has been assuaged through the Nintendo Direct.

You can clearly hear Holoska in the trailer there despite Wisp Circuit not being a remix of Planet Wisp.  

At this point, I'm just CONVINCED they're going to release this game around a crowded time like Jan/Feb or in December where it will get swallowed by SSBU in Deccember. No way it will come out in October or November.

Edited by Ruomarta
Sentence was incomplete

Yeah this game is definitely getting delayed. At least I won't be surprised by a delay announcement like I was with Sonic Mania last year.

13 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Why the negativity for this game again?

Because in many ways seems to be a watered down and less inspired version of the game that comes before it. 

Transformed set the bar really high and there isn’t much to suggest this game will push that bar just yet. 

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Why the negativity for this game again?

Because it looks thoroughly uninteresting. It doesn't look bad but it's got very little going for it. SEGA haven't shown off much of the game either, nor is there any buzz or hype coming from other outlets. What impressions and news we have gotten haven't been glowing, with people citing that performance issues are currently plaguing the gameplay and nobody really seems to be a fan of the team mechanics -everything seems to point to it being intrusive and confusing. Add this all on to the facts that there's not many characters or levels and the game just isn't going to drum up positivity.

On a more subjective note, the artstyle is bland and the reuse of the Sonic R logo amounts to nothing more than nostalgia pandering. Anything interesting from the previous games in the series, be it transforming vehicles, dynamic courses or SEGA representation has been stripped out with the replacements nowhere near as good.

• Thumbs Up 5