Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

Crash Team Racing was a huge part of my childhood, so it's definitely a must-have title for me sooner or later (even if I'm a bit iffy on the N-Sane art style).

That being said, I hope Sega doesn't do anything stupid with TSR now. While I didn't expect CTR so soon, it's not like they couldn't see it coming, especially with the 20th anniversary. Both delaying the game to fall or rushing it out for early spring will kill it off completely. If TSR turns out decent, it still has a whole month of sales before Crash, and may have some legs over the year. And let's be honest, no one is expecting this game to move millions of units. If they delay it again, it will just collide with some new Mario Kart 8 expansion.

15 hours ago, molul said:

The Crash Team Racing remake probably just killed Team Sonic Racing:

Out in June 21st.

Ah, ain't that some shit.

CTR is a part of many early 90s kids/playstation 1 kids memories and was actually a highly rated game. *crash up to ctr was some of the high points in the series imo* and a lot of people were excited at the announment of the remake in hopes they would also do ctr. Boom we get CTR. People had hoped we get a sequel of transformed. We got a watered down literal TEAM racer and its been mixed reactions besides the most hardcore anything sega releases kind. I think CTR will sink any hope of sonic racer doing well.

There's also another side to the genre competition though, in that it can cause a sort of 'renaissance' year. Tekken 7, Injustice 2 and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite came out on the same year and I remember people calling it the year of fighting games. Unless I'm mistaken, both Tekken 7 and Injustice 2 did really well. Unsure how MVC did because it wasn't very good.

So it's possible that the two games can complement each other. Problem is, TSR doesn't look very good to put it bluntly, and although CTE is just a remake of a great classic, it'll probably have the edge.

Team Sonic Racing can still be successful along side Crash Team Racing  I know the Sonic characters better than the Crash characters so that's more reason to get TSR for me. But CTR looks more like Mario Kart and with that it might be slower then TSR from what I seen in CTR's trailer it only has eight players driving in a race.

But I'll never know until they release don't count Sonic out just yet but I'm just going to get both anyway.

TSR will likely be also a successful because the Sonic brand itself will bring people to buy it. The real question is which game will sale more: TSR or CTR?

CTR no doubt. Sonic is fine and all but i think a fact many overlook the real success of the past 2 racers was its entire cast. You had people excited to race as other franchise characters and not just sonic characters. the second game expanded upon this. Then they do a backflip and put in a few more sonic characters getting rid of that factor. I still remember the first time i saw the game at a con years ago *The first one* the main thing people seemed to enjoy in the game room were the different characters they had not seen in awhile like jet set and monkey ball.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah... that was also the reason why I liked the first two All-Star games. Nothing against Sonic's friends, but the other Sega characters made the games so special. With out them, the only thing left is the Team aspect, which we haven't' seen much about it.

17 hours ago, Rowl said:

TSR will likely be also a successful because the Sonic brand itself will bring people to buy it. The real question is which game will sale more: TSR or CTR?

If we're judging by the success of the N.Sane Trilogy vs Sonic's latest outing then it's gonna be Crash by a long shot. 

Didn't Sega said that Sonic Forces was a success for them? Sure Mario and Crash sold more, but this doesn't mean that Sonic was a flop because it sold less. Maybe with TSR it will be the same thing. Team Sonic Racing will sell okay, but not as good as Crash Team Racing.

On 12/7/2018 at 8:13 AM, molul said:

The Crash Team Racing remake probably just killed Team Sonic Racing:

Out in June 21st.

It already looks better than TSR.

Yeah, it's not a surprise Crash looks better. TSR has been a letdown from the getgo.

The gameplay looks bad as does the performance. The graphics look ugly and outdated. Outdone by a Wii U game from early 2014. The track selection has been typical and boring besides one track, and even then we've only seen one screenshot of that one. They even had the gall to reuse a track from ASR, after months of telling us this wasn't a sequel to those games.

Removing non-Sonic characters was already disappointing, but they still could've done a cool cast. Instead, they went as vanilla as possible, and even then they left out basic characters like Espio, Charmy, and Cream. They should've gone nuts. Add characters like Tikal, Chaos, Pachacamac, Marine, Emerl/G-merl, Fang, Bark, Bean, Wendy Witchcart, some of the Battle Kukus, the Hard-Boiled Heavies, the Rogues, Mighty, Ray, the Avatar, Classic versions of characters and so much more. Instead, the most out there character is a group of Chao. The series has a long history in multiple mediums, but SEGA only feels like representing a small bite of it. 

Crash, on the other hand, is a remake of a beloved game, that will have new content.

• Thumbs Up 8

31 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Removing non-Sonic characters was already disappointing, but they still could've done a cool cast. Instead, they went as vanilla as possible, and even then they left out basic characters like Espio, Charmy, and Cream. They should've gone nuts. Add characters like Tikal, Chaos, Pachacamac, Marine, Emerl/G-merl, Fang, Bark, Bean, Wendy Witchcart, some of the Battle Kukus, the Hard-Boiled Heavies, the Rogues, Mighty, Ray, the Avatar, Classic versions of characters and so much more. Instead, the most out there character is a group of Chao. The series has a long history in multiple mediums, but SEGA only feels like representing a small bite of it. 

Pretty much this.

Just now, Marcello said:

Yeah, it's not a surprise Crash looks better. TSR has been a letdown from the getgo.

The gameplay looks bad as does the performance. The graphics look ugly and outdated. Outdone by a Wii U game from early 2014. The track selection has been typical and boring besides one track, and even then we've only seen one screenshot of that one. They even had the gall to reuse a track from ASR, after months of telling us this wasn't a sequel to those games.

Crash, on the other hand, is a remake of a beloved game, that will have new content.

I don't see any of this happening the graphics look the same as Crash and they have the gall to reuse a track from ASR as this is something all racing games do. 

But, so is TSR and its all new.

On 12/9/2018 at 12:37 AM, Rowl said:

I'd say that CTR is really going to steal TSR's thunder on this one. Though Sonic has a nostalgia factor I think that Crash has a pretty strong stance in that department as well. The PS1 (which, I do not believe had any Sonic games) was one of the most sold consoles ever. 102.49 million sold according to wikipedia. I don't think it'd be a stretch to say that Crash can be hailed as close to the mascot for the console. This alone would make CTR a fierce competitor.

However, Crash is also still newly refurbished nostalgia. Crash has that "Wow" factor still because it has just been revived. Sonic has been getting games non-stop for years now. Therefor, I would think that nostalgia greatly favors CTR over TSR.

Does all this truly impact sales of either game? I dunno.

14 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I don't see any of this happening the graphics look the same as Crash and they have the gall to reuse a track from ASR as this is something all racing games do. 

But, so is TSR and its all new.

Um a remake means to remake something old to new. Ctr is taking everything from the old game and upgrading it and adding new features.  tsr is not  a remake and takes away a majority of its past features

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to say for the delay that I'm not surprised at all that they decided to delay, but what I'm a bit surprised about is that they delayed it all the way to May of next year. Also, and again, I really wished that SEGA would just advertise their games to the public with content that's actually worth it instead of just randomly and sparingly splash screenshots up and not say anything for almost half a year at times. Like what the others said, go all out like the Crash Team Racing ads. SEGA really likes to make things harder than it looks at times, which is almost every time it seems.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Meta77 said:

Um a remake means to remake something old to new. Ctr is taking everything from the old game and upgrading it and adding new features.  tsr is not  a remake and takes away a majority of its past features

Team Sonic Racing isn't a remake and so far only has one track from a past game if your talking about characters, boats and planes when you say past features this isn't All Stars its taking out old features to add new ones games do this all the time.

So far Crash is just HD what new features did it add I won't know as I didn't play the first game. 

28 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Team Sonic Racing isn't a remake and so far only has one track from a past game if your talking about characters, boats and planes when you say past features this isn't All Stars its taking out old features to add new ones games do this all the time.

So far Crash is just HD what new features did it add I won't know as I didn't play the first game. 

From what I see, there's an online mode, new karts, and the original game's villain is now a playable character, complete with his own Deadly Six Edition.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, DabigRG said:

From what I see, there's an online mode, new karts, and the original game's villain is now a playable character, complete with his own Deadly Six Edition.

Sounds good, going to spend most of my time playing Coco but I don't see this as thunder stealing from TSR.  

16 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Sounds good, going to spend most of my time playing Coco but I don't see this as thunder stealing from TSR.  

Uh, considering the original was called "Crash Team Racing," marks the series more or less being back after so long, and is getting a considerable marketing push to come out a month after Sonic does.... :grimace: 

I agree that TSR needs a big overview trailer showcasing all the features, to the customization, to the selectable teams, to the Adventure mode missions, 5-6 tracks, more crazy power ups, online, just show stuff instead of a CGI trailer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, like it or not this game basically has one month to live. You have an unconventional kart game that was found in previews to be mediocre and delayed for polish vs a highly anticipated and asked for remake of what is widely considered to be one of the greatest kart racers of all time, one of the few legit contenders to the Mario Kart throne. To be fair to SEGA, they could not have anticipated this happening, but lets be real here: unless TSR turns out to be the best kart racer SEGA has ever put out, then once CTRNR launches absolutely no-one is going to want to play it. SO here's to hoping this delay was worth it, because it's turned out to be a far bigger gamble than anyone could have anticipated. 

Spoiler

Now, if SEGA was bold enough to delay it a couple more months to try to avoid CTRNR's launch window... or Beenox manages to bungle this up in spectacular fashion.

Unrelated to Team Sonic racing, but with Team Crash racing I'm kinda annoyed they put "nitro" in the title, implying the new one is also incorporating it's sequel Crash Nitro Kart. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Especially confusing since they remade the entire trilogy last time. So I was wondering if they'd remake all 3 Crash racers.

Suppose it makes sense with the other racers being done by other studio's, besides the usual "only the classics are allowed to be acknowledged" attitude with this sort of thing, but still. Way to needlessly get some hopes up.

Hah, so both Sonic and Crash have "Team" in the title, and both have a reference to another racer from the franchise in their title/ logo that has nothing to do with the new one. Strange coincidence.