Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

On 2/1/2019 at 1:29 PM, Marco9966 said:

If they knew the game would come out 4 months later than initial date, they would have delayed the marketing altogether.

Even before the delay and their current strategy of posting music tracks to keep gauging interest, the marketing for this title has been absolutely toss. Don't forget that the super-vague shots of Sonic's car and a silhouette logo teaser from the SWSX panel from last March was their debut promotional push for this game, in which Sega proceeded to go dark on the game afterwards. They then broke the silence in May with...a zoomed-in screenshot of the boxart. I still believe they would had kept people in the dark concerning the actual game had the Walmart PR leak not happened; and even then, all they had to show their hand was a few screenshots and a completely CG trailer, that --all things considered-- honestly should had been what they posted back in March if they were willing to say anything about the game at that point in time. (To say nothing about that Sonic R logo tease in the first teaser and the game's logo that ultimately turned out to be tenuous--apparently being another Sonic racing game is the only thing that warranted connecting Sonic R to this project.)

That aside, my hot takes about the game itself: almost everything about TSR to me reeks of this game being a Sega executive's/Sega committee's vanity project first, and a videogame second.

Like, of all the things people were asking for in a new Sumo racer (or a new Sonic racer game); I really doubt "ASR, but it's Sola Sonica" was at the top of anybody's wishlist. Even the people who weren't fussed about the ASR games I'm sure were expecting another Sonic racer that did something unique with the genre, like how the preceding Riders series and Sonic R did, instead of another kart racer entry. (And while I've beaten this idea into the ground already, I'll continue saying it--the racing genre is the perfect opportunity to spin off the Boost gameplay into a playstyle where it can actually play to its strengths, unlike the current approach of pushing them as platforming games.)

And hey, maybe they could had taken the concept and done something genuinely inspired by it, but the creative choices taken with the game's design feels anything but that. Maybe there was some potential with the main selling point of teamwork mechanics, but I'm seriously not seeing it within this game, and that seems to be the generic opinion from what I've seen elsewhere. Every major design choice (character roster, track roster, powerups, car designs, powerups, art direction, etc.) feels like it's being done in accordance to corporate mandates. And the game is being made on a visibly tighter budget to boot; outside of the music, there's nothing noteworthy about the game's presentation otherwise.

As I've said in the statuses before, the best thing this game has going for me is "it's a videogame that exists".

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't see how Crash Team Racing is anymore exciting then Team Sonic Racing Crash's playable characters feel so random that I only really know about two of them.

Let's see... why are people more excited about Crash Team Racing... reasons are:

1. They talk about this game and show us new stuff from it like new trailers, concept arts, screenshots etc. 

2. The graphics are better.

3. The animations are better.

4. CTR has more characters.

5. CTR has better track design. 

6. People could actually playtest the game.

7. Crash Bandicoot has a better image, while Sonic becomes more and more of a laughing stock on the internet. I mean, people already say this game will suck.

8. Gameplay could maybe be also better (but it is kinda hard to tell with Sonic if almost no one has a chance to playtest it) 

Those are the reasons that I can think of. 

Also, the characters in CTR are not random. They actually used pretty much the whole cast of the characters of the series. Unlike with TSR where they left out many popular characters. Just because you do only recognize two characters from Crash doesn't mean that they were picked randomly. What kind of logic is that?  

1. They talk about this game and show us new stuff from it like new trailers, concept arts, screenshots etc. 

Sonic Team/Sumo talks about TSR, shows new trailers about the game, has concept art and screenshots.

2. The graphics are better

They look the same to me.

No, no way. Why does Crash feel the need to stick his foot out every time he jumps?

Doesn't look that way.

5. CTR has better track design 

Whats better about them TSR tracks are just as wacky 

Didn't people play TSR?

7. Crash Bandicoot has a better image,

Nope!

What kind of logic is that? 

Same as everyone else who said that TSR left out many popular characters, 

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I don't see how Crash Team Racing is anymore exciting then Team Sonic Racing Crash's playable characters feel so random that I only really know about two of them.

Have you ever played/watched a Crash game, sweetie?

• Chuckle 1

21 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Sonic Team/Sumo talks about TSR, shows new trailers about the game, has concept art and screenshots.

No, they don't. They only talk about the music and the characters so far, but that's about it. We haven't seen anything else yet. Track-wise we only saw three of them so far in gameplay. Sure CTR also only showed us three, but three on the same day. And with TSR they needed months for this.

Na. Crash has better renders of the characters and more detailed character models. I mean compare the polar bears and armadillos from Crash to the chaos audience in TSR. Those Chao are 2D cardboards while the animals in CTR are fully rendered characters who are animated like the rest of the cast.

No, no way. Why does Crash feel the need to stick his foot out every time he jumps?

A lot of characters do this. The Mario Kart cast does this as well and in the first All-Stars Racing the characters also were animated in a were a very lively way. This just shows me how much of a step back this is to the processors.  

Doesn't look that way.

You now that the 8 characters they showed in the trailer are not the final ones. They will also add the rest of the original cast and there are rumors that we will get maybe even more. Even if it is just Spyro, CTR will feature haven than 16 characters. 16 is more than 15. 

What's better about them TSR tracks are just as wacky. 

Not really. TSR has really basic track design. Nothing so far is really imaginative. Not hazards, no shortcuts, no gimmicks. CTR features all of those things. 

Didn't people play TSR?

Some. But not may. Look home many videos of CTR were upload on Youtube in only half of a day. While with TSR I can only find 5 good ones.

Nope!

Yep! Everyone makes fun of Sonic and calls out the games already been bad before they even played them. Mojo already says that TSR will be a bad game. 

Same as everyone else who said that TSR left out many popular characters, 

Still. This sentence has once again no logic. 

19 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Crash characters have fur.

19 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Doesn't look that way.

I'd have to count to know for sure, but I wanna say it's probably a few more.

Nope!

Sonic's been active much longer and has consistently put out games, a chunk of which people would deemed mediocre to bad. Crash got a severe controversial overhaul and then went dormant for nearly a decade, not to mention being something of a mascot for a classic game system.

10 hours ago, Rowl said:

Let's see... why are people more excited about Crash Team Racing... reasons are:

2. The graphics are better.

5. CTR has better track design. 

7. Crash Bandicoot has a better image, while Sonic becomes more and more of a laughing stock on the internet. I mean, people already say this game will suck.

8. Gameplay could maybe be also better (but it is kinda hard to tell with Sonic if almost no one has a chance to playtest it) 

Those are the reasons that I can think of. 

Also, the characters in CTR are not random. They actually used pretty much the whole cast of the characters of the series. Unlike with TSR where they left out many popular characters. Just because you do only recognize two characters from Crash doesn't mean that they were picked randomly. What kind of logic is that?  

Now I love Crash, but still there are reasons to criticize this game, just like any other:

1. This is a remake, meaning most of the stuff gets remade with a few new features only, this is the opposte of TSR, which has to do most of the content from scratch and brand new. With a few old tracks. Even the gameplay is new and probably an experiment. While CTR is a new version of a memorable classic.

2. The cast. Crash uses all of its funny and "insane" characters, good, and it makes animals you ride on main games and the bosses playable, which is also great. But still, Sonic has more popular and iconic characters, with unique personalities (sans Zavok obvs), each character has his set of fans and so obviously popular characters are left out. But so far, the number of characters for both games is 15, I'm sure more are coming in both games.

3. Gameplay. As I said TSR offers something more different than most racers, while Crash plays it safe and wins with traditional gameplay with a few unique features.

4. Tracks. I've seen gameplay of both games, most of the tracks are great. I probably prefer the ones in CTR but I also love the ones in Sonic, they are wide open and let the gameplay shine, but still have plenty of routes and stuff, even risky routes (see: Ice Mountain). Quantity - wise I believe CTR has 16 remastered tracks, plus likely a few new ones, TSR has 18 brand new tracks and probably 3 remade (if it's less new tracks I'll get mad).

5. Music. I'd say Sonic wins but this is all up to personal taste.

So it's not a black and white situation as you guys make it seem. Sure, Crash has better animations, graphics, marketing and more gameplay in general. But Sonic is not shit/garbage. Sorry.

Btw I still believe Crash will win and sell more because it's a remake of an awesome classic. But the comparison is not fair IMO.

Plus if TSR fails, bye bye Sonic/Sega spin-offs for another decade, I will be super sad in that case, and frustrated, while sorry to say but it seems like people will be "lmao, another bad game, in your face Sonic!".

1 hour ago, Jack the Shadow said:

The cast. Crash uses all of its funny and "insane" characters, good, and it makes animals you ride on main games and the bosses playable, which is also great. But still, Sonic has more popular and iconic characters, with unique personalities (sans Zavok obvs), each character has his set of fans and so obviously popular characters are left out. But so far, the number of characters for both games is 15, I'm sure more are coming in both games.

I know that. This is also the reason why Crash Team Racing will be the overall better game of the two because unlike Sonic the Crash series can't rely just on the popularity of its characters. Crash games have to be good, they have to be polished and they have to nail every aspect of the game if they want to sell the game: Presentation, music, gameplay, characters, animation, track design, item balance, story mode, etc.

The only thing that TSR so far has gone are a handful of Sonic's friends and butt rock.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:55 PM, Marco9966 said:

Crash and Spyro are still respected because they do not have a Sonic 2006 equivalent...

Not exactly.

Crash and Spyro are still respected because after those franchises took significant turns for the worse, they took long breaks and eventually came back fighting. They're still both banking on nostalgia, but it's a pretty good base considering the long breaks and the apparent initiative to take the franchises to new heights now that they're re-establishing themselves.

Sonic on the other hand has been stumbling around since the early 2000s (about 20 years) and has flip-flopped constantly between being laughing stock and being kind of alright. There have been a few highs in that time, but none have lasted. Sonic is fading into obscurity as people get tired of waiting for the franchise to reach its former heights. SEGA refuse to handle the franchise with any respect, which is exactly the opposite of what's happening with Crash and Spyro right now.

'06 is the absolutely bottom on the barrel, but there's a lot to keep it company down there... Shadow, Boom, the upcoming movie, Black Knight... It's not that Crash and Spyro didn't have their '06 moments/bad games in general, it's that they learned from those mistakes and improved significantly. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Sypro actually had one game that is almost as terrible as 06. It was called Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly. Not as a horrible game as Sonic 06, but still pretty glitchy and buggy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Crash and Spyro are still respected because they do not have a Sonic 2006 equivalent...

Um... I wouldn't really go that far in being respected. I dunno where you were when Crash has been made a joke of in the past in collegehumor and dorkly videos and even Sonic for Hire where as Spyro has been made into a abomination for Skylanders angering many people by his design and even so far as having his name be in the title despite him not really being the focus and then also as brought up in the last comment his own glitch fest mess of a game.

• Fist Bump 1

10 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Now I love Crash, but still there are reasons to criticize this game, just like any other:

1. This is a remake, meaning most of the stuff gets remade with a few new features only, this is the opposte of TSR, which has to do most of the content from scratch and brand new.

I just would like to point out this. This isn't entirely true. There's a lot of stuff pulled from the other All-Stars Racing games: cars, characters and objects models, in-game graphics and assets. Also likely stuff pulled / rigged from other Sonic recent games... I'd say, save from the level design (obviously), making TSR was about the same or even LESS work than CTR: NF considering the later only had the vastly outdated (graphically) PS1 game as a basis. Now if TSR team pulled something from the GENESIS games, that would be interesting.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm actually more interested in TSR because it's at least a new game. The amount of recycled content is very bad, but at least most of it is new.

I'm utterly bored to tears of remakes. I'm only interested in this one because I adored CTR beyond belief when it first came out, but I really do not like the Crash remake style. I think it just looks terrible, especially when compared to Spyro. I know I'm alone in thinking this, but I really do prefer the poly look of Crash,

2 hours ago, Jango said:

Now if TSR team pulled something from the GENESIS games, that would be interesting.

Or even tracks from Rush Adventure, just imagine if that did happen. That would be great because those would be the 1st time we see those levels in HD 3D graphics. Plus they could even be applied to the next Modern Sonic game.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:18 PM, Rowl said:

Sypro actually had one game that is almost as terrible as 06. It was called Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly. Not as a horrible game as Sonic 06, but still pretty glitchy and buggy. 

Also you may want to add to that Spyro Shadow Legacy too which was a heavily flawed game in bringing in rpg elements and most notably the collision detection was horrid. It was the final game in the original continuity which really ought to say something. Not to mention the Shadow Realm theme for a kids game is just seriously what the hell were they thinking with that Silent Hill like music!?

Though speaking of hand-held Spyro games I actually back as a kid didn't mind the first two gba Spyro games Season of Ice and Flame though even they weren't completely well received but were in the middle ground in being passable is what I think and what I believe to be the general consensus.

And then there’s stuff like Earthworm Jim 3D and Nuts & Bolts, which so far seem to have spelled a definitive end for their franchises (Bubsy did come back as an irony-fueled zombie decades later).

On the other hand, is ANYONE interested in the new character interactions presented here? 

3 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

And then there’s stuff like Earthworm Jim 3D and Nuts & Bolts, which so far seem to have spelled a definitive end for their franchises (Bubsy did come back as an irony-fueled zombie decades later).

On the other hand, is ANYONE interested in the new character interactions presented here? 

...Not exactly? But not completely indifferent either?

13 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Where? I'm interested in the Chao interacting, they are like a family.

Anyway, the more I see gameplay of CTR, the more they seem on par for different reasons with TSR:

- Crash has the advantage on graphics and animations, love put into it I suppose, it feels more alive, but the gameplay is kind of samey, it plays safe, even the fact that it's a remake gives it away, obviously.

- TSR has a new gameplay, which could or may not work, it really depends on what we'll see, they certainly took their sweet time to polish it, but perhaps people just want to have fun and enjoy a traditional gameplay?

- Content is the same, 15 characters with the potential to add more, and 16 (or is it 18?) tracks with more incoming likely. Now the difference is that Sonic uses only some of its characters, they could add 15 more even without resorting to Classic cast, since they are more popular as well, so yeah it plays it safe, meanwhile CTR uses all of his cast and makes it playable.

- Tracks… eh, I've seen gameplay multiple times for Crash, I don't see how the track design is far superior to Sonic, wide open tracks doesn't make it empty, with the team gameplay and wisps there is already plenty of actions going on, but I've seen some risky routes as well. Crash has ok level design too, but nothing special in either game.

The one thing that bugs me is that apparently they put more love into CTRNF, Sonic deserves that too IMO. Other than that… Crash is just prettier. I don't see a big difference, and I'm not declaring any of the games suck or one is better than the other. Just my 2 cents.

• Fist Bump 1

So... this appeared on my Facebook feed today.

The main page for TSR isn’t fully developed but the links do take you to directly SEGA’s store front on the App Store as well.

It’s hardly a stretch to believe the game was going to come to phones as well. But either the app is actually out very soon or the page ads are just showing this by mistake.

8E7020FB-4CB1-4E55-869C-DB61C3DDA7FA.jpeg

0E0E449A-52E8-4632-B3AC-44EAF3223375.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Where? I'm interested in the Chao interacting, they are like a family.

Anyway, the more I see gameplay of CTR, the more they seem on par for different reasons with TSR:

- Crash has the advantage on graphics and animations, love put into it I suppose, it feels more alive, but the gameplay is kind of samey, it plays safe, even the fact that it's a remake gives it away, obviously.

- TSR has a new gameplay, which could or may not work, it really depends on what we'll see, they certainly took their sweet time to polish it, but perhaps people just want to have fun and enjoy a traditional gameplay?

- Content is the same, 15 characters with the potential to add more, and 16 (or is it 18?) tracks with more incoming likely. Now the difference is that Sonic uses only some of its characters, they could add 15 more even without resorting to Classic cast, since they are more popular as well, so yeah it plays it safe, meanwhile CTR uses all of his cast and makes it playable.

- Tracks… eh, I've seen gameplay multiple times for Crash, I don't see how the track design is far superior to Sonic, wide open tracks doesn't make it empty, with the team gameplay and wisps there is already plenty of actions going on, but I've seen some risky routes as well. Crash has ok level design too, but nothing special in either game.

The one thing that bugs me is that apparently they put more love into CTRNF, Sonic deserves that too IMO. Other than that… Crash is just prettier. I don't see a big difference, and I'm not declaring any of the games suck or one is better than the other. Just my 2 cents.

Vector, Silver, and Blaze? Metal Sonic and Zavok? It seems we have no shortage of interactions, right?