Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

9 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I don't think they did. The amount of time they had was good for polish and that's about it. 

Who knows? We could get another delay. And reskinning animations could go a long way.

The thing about sonic. Even if it is bad it will sell. Sega knows they do not have to go out to hard to market the game. But their biggest deal this time is the fact Crash is coming out so close to it and that more people seem interested in it. They need to start tv ads or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

*coughcough* Y'know I hoped it was over with the Sonic Forces defense squad but alas, it still persists.

Anyway, thanks Hogfather for highlighting some of the cool mechanics of the game it's literally the only thing tethering to me to the game other than the music.
I had some better ideas for them but I get the impression they wanted to keep it simple and accessible for as many players to understand.
The team concept has been hard enough to grasp for some.

4 hours ago, Meta77 said:

The thing about sonic. Even if it is bad it will sell.

And here lies the problem. We will never get a really good Sonic game anymore if fans just buy blindly anything with Sonic's name on the cover. Mario, Zelda, Crash, and Spyro, for example, all need to be good to sell. Their games have to be as polished as possible. Sonic on the other hand still relies way too much on his name alone. And to be fair, it still works for him. But someday not even mediocre games like Forces will save the series if they continue this trend. It is just a matter of time. It could happen in 5 years, 10, 20, 50, who knows.

It really seems for me, that gameplay and fun are not really the highest priority for this franchise anymore. It is just the name, the characters designs, nostalgia, and memes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

SXSW is about the right time for the marketing to pick up where it left off; we're catching back up to about the point we were at in the game's promotional cycle when it was hit by that five-month delay.  The market conditions for TSR have definitely gotten worse for it since then, as Crash Team Racing will be following hot on its heels - they even have similar names - so maybe the marketing will do more to emphasise the points which differentiate it from CTR, or try to aim itself at a slightly different audience wedge.

8 hours ago, Rowl said:

Whatever they plan, I hope they finally get people interested in the game. So far they didn't really do a good job in hooking people up. Maybe they should start showing us small character trailers of characters and tracks like CTR does. 

I agree! They need to do a better job. CTR marketing is on point so far, it really makes me excited for the game.

But please, there is a whole game to show about TSR, we know nothing, we have only seen 3 tracks in action out of 21. We literally didn't see anything, and the game has a lot to offer even with its reduced content. Plus the gameplay mechanics seem great, but only few people noticed it.

Still, I don't care about this game anymore, since Sega doesn't seem to care, I kinda lost interest too... Eh.

But I am glad that Aaron reassured us, I apologized to him because people are really rude to him, I asked for more gameplay too but nicely, and told him I'm sorry even by my part. It's really not his fault here.

17 hours ago, Mayor D said:

So here is my reply to that tweet.

Losing the race is a gameplay mechanic that will help me?
The team mechanics are really zany in this game.

Joking aside, cool concept art.

37 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Losing the race is a gameplay mechanic that will help me?
The team mechanics are really zany in this game.

How do you even come to that conclusion based on both the tweet and my post elaboration?

I really do not get the whole team mechanic. This is the biggest new feature, the highlight of the game, and they told us almost nothing about it! Nintendo, for example, tells us from the start what the newest feature of their new game is from the first trailer.

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

How do you even come to that conclusion based on both the tweet and my post elaboration?

That's litteraly what it says.
Twitter:
" In Team Sonic Racing, if you drive your car headfirst into lava and hold the A+B buttons, then scream loudly, you’ll lose the race.* "
If you do these things, you lose. (Except Tails)

You:
" This is actually a gameplay mechanic which will help you! Even the screaming!"
This advice helps you, specificly references part not involving Tails.

I assume the actual intend of your statement is that pressing A+B and screaming is helpful WHILE playing as Tails.
But they way it's phased trough the jokey nature of the original tweet, I can interprend it that the Tails part is a sidenote and I can take the original advice that concluded with losing the game is helpful in by itself, hence my amusement.
Not that it matters, I'm just joking about a joke based on someone else's joke.
So we're getting pedentic about joke inception here.

25 minutes ago, Rowl said:

I really do not get the whole team mechanic. This is the biggest new feature, the highlight of the game, and they told us almost nothing about it! 

Eh, they told and showcased pretty quickly what the team mechanics are, and we even got a trailer that showcases most if not all of the team mechanics quite a while ago (sending/receiving/asking for the wisps, slipstreaming, boosting a teammate that got hit, ultimate boost, the conditions of winning).

While we don't know much about a lot of different things for this game, this isn't one of the things that's been a secret for 7 or so months.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed.

To be honest having played it myself this is really a tactical racer than a straight “race for the win” type thing. And it actually works rather well for the most part - CPU AI is never going to be perfect, but I imagine online and with friends this is going to be great fun!

I think the problem is trying to demonstrate or show how the team mechanic works whilst making it look and sound exciting. It’s really a thing to be played to understand and then “get” if that makes sense.  

Im not going to lie, personally I don’t want a tactical racer and the whole thing feels like a backwards step from a AAA game like transformered which gave many other racers in the genre a run for their money.

However this doesn’t change that gameplay wise is it honestly promising for what it is, and is why I’m pretty impressed that they decided to delay the game for extra polish or modes or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 2

The lava does look fairly... budget. I couldn't really tell what was going on in that image at first. The lava itself looks like something that'd make an anime fan cry on prom night.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

Does anyone know if it's the Switch version? It wouldn't make sense to introduce this track with the worst looking version of the game, but my friend told me that it could be the Switch version due to the lack of anti-aliasing.

You know, this lava level would have been the perfect opportunity, to give either Iblis of the Ifirt genie a cameo as a stage hazard. You know, like in taken advantage of the whole Sonic series, now that it is Sonic only. Jesus Christ... this lava level looks so freaking generic compared to the highly detailed ones from the Mario Kart series, or the one we had in Transformed.

Also, I have once again something to bitch about. Have you guys noticed, that almost every track they use the same looking balloons with either Sonic's or Shadow's head as a background decoration? So far those two are the only balloons I saw in the game. No Tails balloon, no Knuckles balloon, not Blaze balloon. Just the same looking balloons in every background.

The same I can also say about the audience. So far it seems that every single track has as background characters only those poorly animated 2D sprites of the Chaos and no one else. No animals friends, no anthropomorphic characters, no Badniks, no humans etc. 

Once again, Mario Kart and CTR beat TSR also in this battle. They actually have 3D animated renders for their background characters like with residents of the Mushroom Kingdom or the animals and lab assistants of N. Sanity Island. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Does anyone know if it's the Switch version? It wouldn't make sense to introduce this track with the worst looking version of the game, but my friend told me that it could be the Switch version due to the lack of anti-aliasing.

What difference an anti-aliasing filter does to a boring and flat art direction?

These are also screenshots from a Switch: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/crash-team-racing-nitro-fueled-switch

• Thumbs Up 1

It's either the budget that killed the graphics, or just the Switch version that has anti-aliasing effect, but yes, the game does have have simple art style, you may not like it but it's not necessarily horrendous, just… boring. I'm still saying that it's the budget, however, we had those videos on the official website which were from the pc version and looked pretty cool graphically and were super fast without frame drops. At this point should I get the PC one? I wanted it for Switch physically… ugh. I might still get it for Switch since graphics aren't really my problem but, possible framerate issues will bug me. I don't know.

Btw guys let's not focus on that one bad aspect of the game, the track looks really exciting overall (and my psychiatrist says I'm the one who's a pessimist lol). Even though I don't get if it's supposed to be original or based on a past Sonic stage, Lava Reef would be the obvious choice. The theme is basically Fire & Ice but there is no way they were inspired by that, it would certainly be surprising… still, looks like there is a lot going on in the track, I like it!

22 minutes ago, do a barrel roll said:

Silly Rowl, you should know by now that SEGA almost never pulls off any great opportunities for the Sonic series.

Well, they did it in the past, but now it seems they will only stick with only a few throwbacks, mainly the retro era. 

• Fist Bump 1

So anyway, putting aside Lava-Gate for a moment.

tsrvol3-768x432.jpg

This is what Sega's tweet the other day was on about.

See how Tails is on the lava and he has that odd purple effect around him? That means he's on terrain which the other types of racers will get a speed/handling penalty. But he's ok with that and suffers no penalty.

• Thumbs Up 3