Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

10 hours ago, Rowl said:

Once again, Mario Kart and CTR beat TSR also in this battle. They actually have 3D animated renders for their background characters like with residents of the Mushroom Kingdom or the animals and lab assistants of N. Sanity Island. 

Mario Kart is just as guilty of this (Mount Wario comes to mind), but I get your point.

31 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Frozen Junkyard music track. It's a collab with Tyler Smyth from dangerkids, who also worked on Forces!

Specifically Infinite's Theme from Sonic Forces. Infinite's return confirmed!? We got the Death Egg Robot (which was an illusion right?) so maybe.

2 hours ago, do a barrel roll said:

Silly Rowl, you should know by now that SEGA almost never pulls off any great opportunities for the Sonic series.

Ah nah man, remember Sonic Runners? Seriously, WHO was in charge for that game? The freaking Caliburn sword from Black Knight and the killing orca from Sonic Adventure were in that game, along with maaaany other throwback personalities, even goddamn Mephiles and the WEREHOG.

I really thought Team Sonic Racing would have this level of fan service back then... Too bad it barely scratched the surface.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

18 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

Specifically Infinite's Theme from Sonic Forces. Infinite's return confirmed!? We got the Death Egg Robot (which was an illusion right?) so maybe.

A Metropolis and Nullspace track, with Infinite in it. I wish! But I'm glad that we have a Death Egg Robot as obstacle here, now that's a well used opportunity here *throws shade at Sonic Forces*

19 minutes ago, Jango said:

Ah nah man, remember Sonic Runners? Seriously, WHO was in charge for that game? The freaking Caliburn sword from Black Knight and the killing orca from Sonic Adventure were in that game, along with maaaany other throwback personalities, even goddamn Mephiles and the WEREHOG.

I really thought Team Sonic Racing would have this level of fan service back then... Too bad it barely scratched the surface.

Please, here we got a giant Death Egg Robot, apparently Mother Wisp in one of the stages, King Boom Boo, the Orca in various tracks, Chao in Space posters, and I hope Infinite shows up. Obviously they are not gonna show all the fanservice before release. Remixes of unknown obscure tracks like Sand Hill from SA1, Cool Edge Day from Unleashed.

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

Frozen Junkyard music track. It's a collab with Tyler Smyth from dangerkids, who also worked on Forces!

This still sounds like an expanded remix of Eggman's theme from Runners to me.

46 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

Eh, I doubt it.

None of the music I've heard so far sound anywhere near a fit for his song.

46 minutes ago, Jango said:

Yeah, seriously. Guess it goes to show that some phone game can get away with more than the proper, console ones.

33 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

This still sounds like an expanded remix of Eggman's theme from Runners to me.

I hear Final Rush from Sonic Adventure 2.

21 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

I hear Final Rush from Sonic Adventure 2.

Wow, that's a song I forgot about.

You're not wrong, I definitely get a similar vibe from it.

I mean I'm still not seeing this as a huge seller. Sonic games rarely have bad music I mean 06 has amazing music but still a bad game and screenshots and concept art dont sell games

4 hours ago, Jango said:

I mean, that's kind of how all the Sonic mobile games operate. They always throw their big guns with the call-backs and the heavy-duty rosters for the mobile games while the 3D ones (the ones people care the most about) get the shaft. 

I don't entirely know why that's the case. The only thing I can think of is... I guess it's just harder work doing that for the 3D games. I don't want that to be the reason since that's such an incredibly lame and maddening excuse but as someone who isn't a developer for this stuff and doesn't know why they do what they do, I can only speculate.

• Fist Bump 1

Frozen Junkyard is probably my favourite track from the game thus far.  Eggman's Runners theme does sound like the closest contender if it is meant to be a remix but honestly it's way too unobvious compared to the other tracks, and all the other uploaded tracks specifically mention that they are a remix of "(original song here)".  This one doesn't.

I think it is meant to be original and any resemblance to existing tracks is a coincidence.  And... that's fine of course, good to have some original songs in.  I just hope there's a decent amount of them so they don't feel out-of-place among all the remixes.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I mean, that's kind of how all the Sonic mobile games operate. They always throw their big guns with the call-backs and the heavy-duty rosters for the mobile games while the 3D ones (the ones people care the most about) get the shaft. 

I don't entirely know why that's the case. The only thing I can think of is... I guess it's just harder work doing that for the 3D games. I don't want that to be the reason since that's such an incredibly lame and maddening excuse but as someone who isn't a developer for this stuff and doesn't know why they do what they do, I can only speculate.

It's probably because they want to explore new ideas with the main games, while the mobile ones need to churn out content updates and the easiest way to do that is to reach into the toy box and pull out something from Sonic's past.  Plus it's kind of hard to get people paying up red rings for stuff that they have no prior attachment to.

Plus like, I know it wasn't satisfactory fanservice simply because the game was mediocre, but Sonic Forces was kind of full of stuff that was intended to be fanservice.  The three classic zones, the returning villians, episode Shadow's music, etc.  There was smaller stuff too, like the mention of Seaside Hill and the ghost design t-shirt from Sonic Adventure 2.

I know as a fan it seems like opportunities for callbacks are everywhere but there is a limit before every stage will end up looking like Studiopolis with easter eggs every 5 seconds.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Jango said:

They could've at least made the President from SA2 playable. C'mon @JezMM you know you want it.

Why the President when his Secretary was so much more compelling? She even had her own menu theme but hasn't ever been playable ffs

• Fist Bump 1

7 minutes ago, Jango said:

They could've at least made the President from SA2 playable. C'mon @JezMM you know you want it.

Better yet, in Shadow the Hedgehog's Hard mode its revealed he plays golf. He could drive a golf caddy 😛

If we're talking TSR then let's get the GUN Commander up in the mix and we've got ourselves a three person team.

Hell with it, I now want all DLC for this game to be uncanny human characters from the franchise history.  The Burger Statue guy, Sonic Man, the police captain (and all of his cohorts), let's get them all in.

No Maria, Gerald or Professor Pickle of course, only the creepy shits here.

• Thumbs Up 2

47 minutes ago, JezMM said:

No Maria, Gerald or Professor Pickle of course, only the creepy shits here.

Image result for maria shadow the hedgehog game

I think you'll find Maria more than qualifies. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3
  • My Emmerdoods 1

3 hours ago, JezMM said:

It's probably because they want to explore new ideas with the main games, while the mobile ones need to churn out content updates and the easiest way to do that is to reach into the toy box and pull out something from Sonic's past.  Plus it's kind of hard to get people paying up red rings for stuff that they have no prior attachment to.

Plus like, I know it wasn't satisfactory fanservice simply because the game was mediocre, but Sonic Forces was kind of full of stuff that was intended to be fanservice.  The three classic zones, the returning villians, episode Shadow's music, etc.  There was smaller stuff too, like the mention of Seaside Hill and the ghost design t-shirt from Sonic Adventure 2.

I know as a fan it seems like opportunities for callbacks are everywhere but there is a limit before every stage will end up looking like Studiopolis with easter eggs every 5 seconds.

My only issue with this is the fact that, if that is their intention, they're really bad at it to the point where its hard to view that as fan-service rather than laziness. I hate using that word so much because I know it's tough making games and stuff but even if Forces wasn't mediocre, the biggest issue with the "fan-service" in Forces was that it was largely stuff we'd seen done to death already. Those three classic zones had appeared in games prior to Forces release plenty of times already. Both Green Hill and Chemical Plant were in Mania and Generations before then. The Death Egg might have had more of an impact had it still not been fresh in my mind from Lego Dimensions and the Death Egg Robot fight from Generations. Mentioning Seaside Hill wasn't a very good idea either. That's another stage that gets used in spin-offs way too often. It's getting used yet again in this very game. It just felt like a retread of Generations. And this game using Spagonia, Seaside Hill, and Planet Wisp kind of makes it feel like this is where they're dumping the other Generations levels.

Also, if they really want to explore new ideas with the main games, it might be a good idea to not lean so heavy with these kinds of stages period then. I'd rather they go all out with fan-service like with their mobile games or just do something completely new. But re-using stages over and over again doesn't feel like fan-service anymore. It's certainly no longer nostalgic.

Whatever method they're using, they could do it a lot better is all I'm saying.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Seriously, why are WE not making this game instead? 

Because, unlike some companies out there, when I can't do something, and I know I can't do something, I don't just do it anyway and charge $40 - $60 bucks for it.

23 minutes ago, Jango said:

Seriously, why are WE not making this game instead? 

Technically, some people already did! (And thanks to the modding community, there's a constant slew of new characters and tracks coming out for it)

• Thumbs Up 3

The level design of these tracks are very appealing to behold if there's going to be more areas like Hidden Volcano then that will be a tremendous help to slower cars when trying to overcome other racers. Amy's team power icon is so energetic its reminding me of Heroes Amy.

z_5c5a4828b50e435.jpg

z_5c5a4828b50e4.jpg

Dz5GWmDXQAIX6hC.jpg

It's sad that when I saw Frozen Junkyard, the first thought that came to mind was "Neat. It'll be fun playing as Espio on that track. His purple color would contrast that level well."