Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

Exactly, that's why I recognized my own possible disappointment. For all we know this music could be used for a menu or something ;/

• My Emmerdoods 1

On 2/28/2019 at 11:35 AM, Jack the Shadow said:

More soundtrack from Japan:

Includes "Game modes" which is a familiar tune from Sonic Adventure

Reveal hidden contents

Final Egg

It's not for a track though, I think.

I think the point of this CD is that it contains music that is being used in trailers for the game.  "Game Modes" is therefore likely referring to an upcoming trailer that will spotlight all the various game modes available in the game.  As such, there's no way of knowing what context it'll be used for in-game yet.

Meanwhile, Can You Feel The Sunshine feels like it's likely to be the music for whatever the third track is for the Seaside theme.  Best fanservice scenario is Resort Island remake, but a new original zone using Seaside Hill assets is also possible... worst case scenario, it's another of the two Seaside Hill tracks from SaSASR, since Can You Feel The Sunshine was an available music choice for those.

• Thumbs Up 3

Imagine if not even the soundtrack was good... 

But on the other hand, genuinely surprised to get “Can You Feel the Sunshine” in the game. Thought it would be kinda iffy due to the whole Classic split going on. Actually rather pleasant to hear it again. 

Sonic Team's supposed "classic split" is the most inconsistently-applied thing ever, so I'm not too surprised.

• Thumbs Up 1

It don't know why people want Resort Island, I get it fanservice but if it's a stage I barely remember I hardly care, the one thing that was cool about it was the music, but I'd rather have as a track the overused but familiar Green Hill, I still think Seaside Hill being everywhere ruins it though.

Anyway I used to be excited for the game, for these reasons:

- team gameplay I think has a lot of depth, like Mayor D's impressions, it really feels like a new gimmick that encourages you to use all the moves to get star points and work has a team to gain a boost energy and win together.

- Wide Open tracks, with a selection of various old stages but also feel new, and full of routes from what I've seen, plus even though it is restricted to 7 zones there are unique assets and tropes for each track. Also tracks don't have many bottomless pits and are more beginner players-friendly.

- The idea that it's a Sonic racer, I felt the need to have a Sonic only spin-off after lots and lots of crossovers.

What I don't like about it:

- It seems a low budget title, graphics and content wise, there isn't much to be excited about.

- The roster is really short and lacking, meh...

- Reused tracks.

And obviously the fact that Sega ignores it bugs me and it made me lose interest, really, that's the biggest thing. If you don't show anything for half a year, how can I be excited? It could still turn out to be a fun little game like Mania, but we'll have to see. Meanwhile, I'm glad Transformations didn't return, as fun as they were, did you really want them in every racing game? It does get repetitive.

I know this is old news, but here is a video of how they put the TSR wrap on this NASCAR Camry. I like that they used 2D artwork for the wrap. Looks cool!

Something that I just thought about after the Resort Island mention - one cool way they could've paid homage to R beyond somewhat pointlessly nicking the logo is bringing back the ring gates for shortcuts. As a kid I always liked the ring gates because they contributed to an element of mystery for the (relatively) large tracks at the time, and beyond that it gave actual incentive to collect rings. You evidently pick up rings by the truckload in this game, so I think that'd be a cool way to incorporate them beyond just "they make you go faster" or whatever they do in this game. Could even have played into an interesting risk/reward scenario; use the rings on the gates, or save them for speed (or even a Mod Shop, though I doubt that'll be a thing after Forces and ASRT). 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

11 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

It don't know why people want Resort Island, I get it fanservice but if it's a stage I barely remember I hardly care, the one thing that was cool about it was the music, but I'd rather have as a track the overused but familiar Green Hill, I still think Seaside Hill being everywhere ruins it though.

Obviously other people don't barely remember it. The neat thing about R's tracks is they have a lot of different routes that often have unique scenery too, Resort Island probably being the most major example of that - it has a lake, it has a secret path behind a waterfall, it has the rocky area above said waterfall, it has ruins, it has caves, it has a wooded area, it has bridges and islands and a mountain with two different routes around it.  They would definitely have to "enlarge" it all slightly to fit this game's speed, and cutting across water with jumps would almost certainly be one aspect of the many routes that would be cut in the process of adapting it but yeah.

21 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Something that I just thought about after the Resort Island mention - one cool way they could've paid homage to R beyond somewhat pointlessly nicking the logo is bringing back the ring gates for shortcuts. As a kid I always liked the ring gates because they contributed to an element of mystery for the (relatively) large tracks at the time, and beyond that it gave actual incentive to collect rings. You evidently pick up rings by the truckload in this game, so I think that'd be a cool way to incorporate them beyond just "they make you go faster" or whatever they do in this game. Could even have played into an interesting risk/reward scenario; use the rings on the gates, or save them for speed (or even a Mod Shop, though I doubt that'll be a thing after Forces and ASRT). 

I'm not so sure about this idea though - see, while some ring gates were just shortcuts, they mostly lead to Emeralds and medals, which explicitly took longer/more effort to access than just running the race normally.  The challenge was winning the race in spite of taking the effort to unlock those gates and take those alternate paths, rather than because you did.

I fear ring gates would kind of result in the same issue I feel the Sonic Riders games have.  Unless the track design was the most crazily-well tested/balanced thing in the world, for every shortcut there probably would be a fairly definitive answer over what is faster, holding your rings or unlocking the shortcut.  I feel Riders had this issue in the form of the three character types - there wasn't really much strategy to it, on pretty much every lap, the fastest route was to take the route that your character type is designed to interact with (excluding a few poorly designed areas where ignoring the character gimmicks was faster).  This increased replayability in terms of getting a different experience each time as long as you swap your characters around, but within the race itself, there was little strategy - just take the route you're supposed to and don't screw it up.

There is something to be said though for the fact that gathering those rings in the first place requires a display of skill and dexterity that should rightly be rewarded.  It's also an interesting idea to consider whether the team mechanic could've tied in - having a pool of rings shared between you might mean one player can focus on collecting rings while the others reap the rewards for the better overall team result at the end.  But again, hard to say whether in practice it would still just be fake depth that seems to facilitate freedom of strategy but that ultimately the truly best strategy is "just all three of you drive good AND get rings AND use shortcuts and get 1st 2nd and 3rd" lol.

• Thumbs Up 5

15 hours ago, FFWF said:

Sonic Team's supposed "classic split" is the most inconsistently-applied thing ever, so I'm not too surprised.

This also makes me want a Dreamcast Split so we can have humans and Kaiju and characters Sonic Team doesn’t wanna use anymore alongside the stuff in the classic Split

What exactly do the rings do in TSR?

My first guess would be that they're "currency" for the supposed in-game shop, but from what I've read it actually helps with your "total score". What does it mean by that? From the gameplay I've seen it doesn't look like they really have an effect on your score/ranking at the end of a race. Unless they mean some miscellaneous score thing that doesn't affect the gameplay or whatever.

EDIT: Ok looking back there actually IS some sort of "total score" thing that you get tallied at the end of a race. But again, what's the point of it? Not like it'll affect the ranking at the end of your race it seems.

23 hours ago, Sandman444a said:

What exactly do the rings do in TSR?

My first guess would be that they're "currency" for the supposed in-game shop, but from what I've read it actually helps with your "total score". What does it mean by that? From the gameplay I've seen it doesn't look like they really have an effect on your score/ranking at the end of a race. Unless they mean some miscellaneous score thing that doesn't affect the gameplay or whatever.

EDIT: Ok looking back there actually IS some sort of "total score" thing that you get tallied at the end of a race. But again, what's the point of it? Not like it'll affect the ranking at the end of your race it seems.

the score system in team races decides the winner.

each racer gets assigned a certain amount of points depending on their position in the race. the team with the most total points wins.

3 minutes ago, blueblur98 said:

the score system in team races decides the winner.

each racer gets assigned a certain amount of points depending on their position in the race. the team with the most total points wins.

I understand all of that. However, I am HIGHLY certain that rings do not affect this, rather your general position in the race affects your points.

So I found this poll Tweet by Canadian Guy Eh. Asking if you guys are hyped for Team Sonic Racing. I apologize if it's slightly off topic, but I'll try to keep stuff like this in status' from here on out.

Now to me I'm excited, despite it lacks the Transformed gameplay. But the music & roster is great still. I'm not too sure about the story though. The mechanics seem complex, but I still prefer if the Transformed gameplay still made it in somehow. If infinite somehow returns in this game (going by the Forces track &  Infinite theme composer returning, plus the red effects on the logo in the E3 trailer), that'll be great as well. Since we didn't really see what happened to Infinite in Forces.

Anyways, so I think it'll be good and a simpler version of the previous game. But on the level of CTR:NF simplicity, I think it'll be fine.

How can be anyone hype about this game? They almost showed nothing of this game in the last 10 months. SSBU is a game that builds hype, KH3 is a game that builds hype, Spyro knew how to build hype and interest for his game and same goes for Crash Team Racing. With this game, on the other hand, it is like Sega doesn't want to market it.  

Of all things, a Japanese retail stand has given us our first look at customisation. Appears changing the actual physical appearance of the cars is actually a thing.

• Thumbs Up 5

>customization of a physical appearance that's not just decals

Guess I'll buy the game.

On a serious note, I actually didn't expect the customization to be anything more than mods and a different decal or 2. The fact that the cars can actually be "riced" up makes me more interested in the game and I'm actually kinda baffled that SEGA didn't want to show this much earlier. Like, why?! You have the material right there yet you decided not to show anything?! ARGH!

I hope we'll see more of the customization options at SXSW.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been looking forward to the customization system for a while, it sounds like a nice mix of Mario Kart and ASR Transformed, everyone gets a unique vehicle but you can still change its appearance and stats. Sumo staff have mentioned it being a core part of the game, some of the parts being references to the characters' history, so we might get something Tornado-related for Tails or even a throwback to Metal Madness.

But as usual, it makes no sense to withhold that information for so long, the soundtrack mentioned a Customization Spotlight but who knows when that will come out.

Whazzat? Something positive? Impossoble?!

Nice to see the mod system from the previous game cranked up a couple of knotches. This adds additional layers to the game and gives more flexibility to ensure people are able to main their favorites rather than serve as a slave to stats. 

Not to mention it really looks like they put some work into it. Look how much different Sonic's car looks with the mods. That's a fun add if every character gets the same level of affection

Oh wow, actual effort?! Neat. Maybe the customization will allow Sonic, a speed type, become a tech or power type, for example. 

Why didn't they told us before, that this game had this feature? And official they didn't really tell us, we had to find this out with a picture someone took and posted it on Twitter. Great marketing, Sega!

They did... Or just let it slip up, like, aaaaages ago. And it was just that. No screenshot, no explanation, no video showcase. I was in doubt untill now if said feature was in fact true lol

• Absolutely 1

4 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Why didn't they told us before, that this game had this feature? And official they didn't really tell us, we had to find this out with a picture someone mad and posted it on twitter. Great marketing, Sega!

...they did tell us. It was one of the first things we knew about the game. We just had no images of it until now.