Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

7 minutes ago, do a barrel roll said:

Actually more footage of the game than SEGA has ever shown off.

Sure, rather than talk about the footage let’s continue this trend of tiresome bashing. 

Just because this title has not have been given a similar style of marketing compared to the Crash Team Racing does not indicate dumpster fire material. 

The Reality is that they have shown a lot off, even demo’d This game last year and delayed the title to give it some much needed polishing and work. Good on them. 

My two cents? I’m rather excited. I like what I played last year - but all the recent footage that’s been surfacing over the last few months really shows off that this was clearly not a tactical delay but a duty of care one. 

From watching this video I still don’t really get why we have zero-g tracks without explanation... But thinking about it I didn’t really question this in the previous two titles, so it’s not really an asthetic that I should take issue with. As long as the tracks are FUN to drive around, well... that’s what is important.

It’s great that We FINALLY get to see gameplay of the Spogonia Skyway level that was first teased a year ago. And... is that supposed to be an SA2 Egg Pyramid / Sandopolis mashup? Pretty sweet Egg Base.

I’m actually coming around to the idea of these mashups now. At first I had just hoped we’d be driving around classic zones or levels individually, but also worried they’d output this as 3 tracks in the same area for 7 locations.

Whilst the latter is somewhat true, the creativity infused in these is wonderful. Because now rather than getting (for example) 3 Eggman Base levels (from Sonic Heroes) they’ve taken the Eggman base trope and spread this across different zones ala Planet Wisp, Sandopolis, and presumably another to be revealed.

The tactical driving as ever still was a surprisingly fun one, as this promoter seems to show off - but it remains to be seen if the public click with this. I also was aware there was a deep customisation mode for the cars... but blimey! That is something. 

Anyway, I’m happy I still got my preorder for day one and am really excited for this - actually moreso than the CTR:Re (and that IS my favourite kart game of my childhood). Not long now!

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like Sumo are going all-in on Heroes callbacks, to the point that character models can be shiny! Love it!

shine.PNG.23ce313cd88e3a37435df4e1d7e7dfeb.PNG

On a serious note, that footage was kinda needed. It shows a bunch of new stuff, it has some info that hasn't been known before (for example, he confirmed that rings are gonna be like Mario Kart's coins, only without a cap), it's even the first time we see any sort of multiplayer footage. Looks like at least 3-player split-screen is gonna be at 30 FPS, but it looks stable to me, and splitscreen is quite taxing on performance, so I guess that's fine, but I hope it runs at stable 60 FPS when playing solo, cuz the game still doesn't look like a game that utilizes PS4's full potential, at least on a technical aspect.

The stages do look pretty varied and more unique aesthetically, which is really nice to see, cuz I was worried that tracks in the same zone wouldn't look different enough. New tracks were quite hard to hear, except for 2 instances - customization menu playing a remix of Green Light Ride, and Chao Race remix playing during Chaos' team ultimate.

But yeah, looks pretty good gameplay-wise, hope we get some more gameplay soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

All that lovely space underneath the characters on the selection screen.

ff7624ba71c777ac9a244de8f2810907.png

Looks like we know what the Rhythm Wisp does. Looking a lot like the Blooper of the game (in terms of disrupting the player's screen with visuals).

303be71f10cd66d174575c8a88c0d0aa.pngI'

This stage looks interesting, I wonder what it could be? I'm thinking it might be related to Sandopolis, but I can also see it being that 'Haunted Castle' track. It could also be a completely new track for all we know.

• Thumbs Up 3

The game looks really good, I've even come to terms with the roster (at least it's varied).

I still think the team ultimates look really boring though, shame considering how much the game is centred around teamwork.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Sandman444a said:

ff7624ba71c777ac9a244de8f2810907.png

Looks like we know what the Rhythm Wisp does. Looking a lot like the Blooper of the game (in terms of disrupting the player's screen with visuals).

303be71f10cd66d174575c8a88c0d0aa.pngI'

This stage looks interesting, I wonder what it could be? I'm thinking it might be related to Sandopolis, but I can also see it being that 'Haunted Castle' track. It could also be a completely new track for all we know.

That track definitely looks part of the sandopolis zone. I think they took the Forces pyramid and made it good. This game looks so damn good. Why arent they showing us what they've got cuz it's obvious they have good stuff.

Yeah. It was touch and go for a while there but my only really strong, lingering complaints seem to be the roster and the thought that the story will most likely just be a bunch of text-boxes yet again rather than the entertaining Sonic Riders route of animated cartoon cutscenes.

Which, for me, are the most important things, sure, but not enough for me to be extremely bitter about the whole thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

image.png.ceb09e7ba6102310105ef7f27440fb81.png

Vector's such a wannabe pimp, now even his car is wearing gold chains! Can't wait to see all the customization options and if they'll have references to Espio, Charmy and Cream, or if that would be too much of a slap.

Those tracks look really fun, how did they not think of showing them off before? Rooftop Run is basically Rainbow Road and Pyramid Base in particular looks crazy and has a lot going on both in- and outside. Why did they tease Pumpkin Hill in their last Halloween artwork though if it was never going to be in the game? The final zone is likely to be Final Fortress at this point, so there's not even another place for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just watched the video above. Pretty wholesome. 

That one track where they're riding around at night was interesting. It didn't... look like a place I've seen before, even though I'm assuming it's Final Fortress. If it is a familiar area than I guess it's more of a testament to how well they're utilizing these assets yet again. Like, all three of the Spagonia stages look completely different from one another. It's actually kind of amazing. 

This is how you breath life into stages we've seen before. Definitely on board for that.

1 hour ago, LukA8 said:

Vector's such a wannabe pimp, now even his car is wearing gold chains! Can't wait to see all the customization options and if they'll have references to Espio, Charmy and Cream, or if that would be too much of a slap.

Acknowledgement of their existence would be appreciated honestly. No matter what, I don't think I'll ever fully get over the fact that Vector's never allowed to be with his team in these spin-offs unless it's a mobile game.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

That one track where they're riding around at night was interesting. It didn't... look like a place I've seen before, even though I'm assuming it's Final Fortress. If it is a familiar area than I guess it's more of a testament to how well they're utilizing these assets yet again. Like, all three of the Spagonia stages look completely different from one another. It's actually kind of amazing.

It's the third track of the Boo's House/Sand Hill trope, either taking place in SA2's Pyramid Base or Forces' Pyramid level! It took me several minutes to figure out since there's even some ice elements and auroral lights mixed into it. Now I don't feel Final Fortress is even needed with all the Eggman bases in the game already.

22 hours ago, Patron said:

Very interesting, this was very unexpected. And from the guy who voiced Cy in Skylanders Academy.

I think this is the most footage we've seen in awhile, even more details (and easier to understand) on the gameplay mechanics. While, some of the tracks I don't think we've even seen yet.

The new track is definitely based on Arsenal Pyramid from Forces:

They changed it up and made it pretty cool tho.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's an article that goes into what each of the wisps do in Team Sonic Racing. https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201904180002/

It's in Japanese yes, but translating should do a well enough job of explaining what they all do.

It also gives us some more screenshots of that Rooftop Run track, which seems to be officially named   "Sky Road". Oddly enough, Sonic Lost World had a zone named Sky Road, but this track honestly feels like it has almost no connection to it. Perhaps it could be a mistranslation.

Edit: https://gonintendo.com/stories/333383-new-details-on-team-sonic-racing-s-wisp-abilities-plus-a-first-l Found an english translated vers. of the article, in case you just can't stand looking at the original.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Something I (and some other people I've been talking to) noticed in Dan's gameplay. You can barely hear gameplay audio in his video, but at approximately 3:38 you can hear Silver talk and I dunno about you, but he doesn't sound like Quinton Flynn. Like, at all. This might mean one of the 2 things:
1) it's somehow a placeholder (not likely, since the game comes out in a little over a month), or
2) Quinton Flynn might not be voicing Silver at least for this game.

It's not the first time we've heard an inconsistency in character voices. Going back to Gameplay Spotlight trailer, Knuckles had a line "Awesome boost, thanks!", which didn't sound like Travis Willingham. That said, that inconsistency I write off as "the guy making the trailer thought this voice clip sounded like Knuckles, so he added it during editing". But this time it's actually coming from the game, so...yeah.

I hope that Flynn not voicing Silver (if that's actually the case) is only temporary, like Drummond voicing Knuckles in Shuffle.

Gave the video another watch since I had turned off sound the first time, and found out Rouge's theme seems to be a rendition of I'm a Spy (Security Hall)! It's one of my favourite tracks from SA2 and fits her character perfectly, so I'm glad they chose it over Fly in the Freedom. So for now we have:

Team Sonic: Reach for the Stars/Believe in Myself (SA2)/Unknown from M.E.

Team Dark: All Hail Shadow/I'm a Spy/This Machine

Team Rose: ???/Chao Race (SA2)/???

Team Vector: ???/Dreams of an Absolution/???

Team Eggman: ..Actually I don't think we know any yet

We can probably guess the themes for Amy, Eggman, Metal and Big since they were All-Stars characters as well as Zavok for a lack of options, but I'm most interested if they went for Team Chaotix and Vela Nova or something completely different.

• Thumbs Up 1

So according to Dan, rings increase the speed of your character, a lot like coins in Mario Kart. You also lose all of your rings when getting hit, makes sense cause this is a Sonic related game.

But apparently he also said there is no limit to the amount of rings you can hold, so just how fast can one go when they have the max amount of rings?

That's pretty wild. I guess it's theoretically balanced out by there not being TONS of Rings around (from what we've seen), and you even apparently lose them all when you get it, but still.

4 hours ago, LukA8 said:

Gave the video another watch since I had turned off sound the first time, and found out Rouge's theme seems to be a rendition of I'm a Spy (Security Hall)! It's one of my favourite tracks from SA2 and fits her character perfectly, so I'm glad they chose it over Fly in the Freedom. So for now we have:

Team Sonic: Reach for the Stars/Believe in Myself (SA2)/Unknown from M.E.

Team Dark: All Hail Shadow/I'm a Spy/This Machine

Team Rose: ???/Chao Race (SA2)/???

Team Vector: ???/Dreams of an Absolution/???

Team Eggman: ..Actually I don't think we know any yet

We can probably guess the themes for Amy, Eggman, Metal and Big since they were All-Stars characters as well as Zavok for a lack of options, but I'm most interested if they went for Team Chaotix and Vela Nova or something completely different.

Again, I haven't been watching, so this overall detail and it's duration is new to me.

They picked Reach for the Stars for Sonic?

As for the other characters, yeah, I'm guessing it'll be:

• My Sweet Passion or You're My Hero(?) for Amy
  • Lazy Days for Big(it was in the short)
  • Vela Nova, Ska Cha Cha, or even Through the Fire for Blaze
  • Team Chaotix Instrumental or  for Vector
  • Doc Robeatnix Mix or Metal Scratchin for Eggman
  • What I'm Made Of or the Sonic 4 Episode II Boss for Metal
  • Battle with Death Queen or Lava Mountain Boss for Zavok

4 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Looks like an unfinished Ghostly Adventures character.

5 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

From the looks of it, Grey Quake makes those big stone pillars rise out of the ground. And that woukd explain why they looked so out of place as track obstacles in Rooftop Run. That's pretty cool. It's similar to the Swarm item in ASRT, which littered wasps all around the player in first place. Its a better alternative to the virtually unavoidable Blue Shell.

15 hours ago, Sandman444a said:

Here's an article that goes into what each of the wisps do in Team Sonic Racing. https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201904180002/

It's in Japanese yes, but translating should do a well enough job of explaining what they all do.

It also gives us some more screenshots of that Rooftop Run track, which seems to be officially named   "Sky Road". Oddly enough, Sonic Lost World had a zone named Sky Road, but this track honestly feels like it has almost no connection to it. Perhaps it could be a mistranslation.

Edit: https://gonintendo.com/stories/333383-new-details-on-team-sonic-racing-s-wisp-abilities-plus-a-first-l Found an english translated vers. of the article, in case you just can't stand looking at the original.

Given how “Ice Mountain” doesn’t seem to be related to the level of the same name in Advance, I think this is entirely possible.

They had this screenshot for the Ivory Wisp.

Wisp4%2BIvory%2BLightning.PNG

Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't seem to be from either Ocean View or Whale Lagoon... which means it must be the third Seaside Hill stage. It's kinda disappointing that we're indeed getting a third seaside hill track but at least it looks like it isn't Lost Palace or Ocean Ruin so it must be a new stage ! It looks like it takes place in a jungle as well so they're changing it up somewhat. Hopefully there's also a beach portion of the track because I love beaches haha.

4 hours ago, StellarBlur said:

They had this screenshot for the Ivory Wisp.

Wisp4%2BIvory%2BLightning.PNG

Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't seem to be from either Ocean View or Whale Lagoon... which means it must be the third Seaside Hill stage. It's kinda disappointing that we're indeed getting a third seaside hill track but at least it looks like it isn't Lost Palace or Ocean Ruin so it must be a new stage ! It looks like it takes place in a jungle as well so they're changing it up somewhat. Hopefully there's also a beach portion of the track because I love beaches haha.

It could be Ocean Gate or whatever.