Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

And that's the thing. An on-foot racer only works if EVERYONE is on foot and a limit is imposed upon EVERYONE'S speed to bring all competitors to the same level. Charmy immediately becomes a non-viable character from his size, and to an extent even Big. Dash and such don't count as on-foot racers even if they are on foot and racers, since this is about those with eight or even twelve racers together on the same track. It can be made to work - R had a pretty good concept for it - but it needs to be handled with care to make it really work.

• Thumbs Up 2

did you forget that the last racing game (transformed) featured stats? Steering power, speed, acceleration, etc. 
For a on-foot race that could work the same way - sonic is faster but has lower acceleration and mid-steering power. Or tails can have max acceleration and low speed, etc

I think the  main problem for a on-foot racer is how the controls would be implemented in-game. I mean, controlling a car and controlling a character at the same time really seems weird to me since both controls are very different comparing one another. If you ask me, I think Riders 1 and 2 had the best control for on-foot race. Yeah, it was actually a punishment for you being reckless about not getting more Gas for your Extreme Gear, but it did controls nicely and easy - because, in Riders, the characters was visually 'free' from a enclausured box at wheels (aka cars), which made it easier for the players to mentally disconnect the worldwide pattern of 'hold [button] to accelerate' and all that jazz

The thing is, the only thing the teaser confirmed is that we'll be controlling cars at some extent - and I don't imagine a on-foot racing game where you need to hold a button to make your character run, wtf

50 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Either that or we're back to "Sonic shouldnt be a car" thing back when ASR was announced.

Pretty much. Which considering what canon actually says about Sonic and cars is bollocks.

People also tend to forget that racers outside the car/kart genre are usually pretty niche because of how dominant the former are. Even Riders is a pretty niche series despite having Sonic's face on it.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, SaberX said:

I'm still wondering that part. Maybe people wants Sonic and Shadow to clash speeds just like Adventure 2 lol

Either that or we're back to "Sonic shouldnt be a car" thing back when ASR was announced.

How about...some people just really want to see Sonic Characters racing on foot for once, with better control than the positive game that is Sonic R...

Can that just not be a possible reason, or does it have to be the ridiculous thing?

One reason most like the kart games is while liked r it controlled like hot poo. You literally just held up. I doubt heavily another on foot game would be the new game as unless there are simple mini games no racer just uses up now. How would you increase decrease speed. How would you snake. Mini boost? I don't think they would drop all those features. Could be wrong

8 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

One reason most like the kart games is while liked r it controlled like hot poo. You literally just held up. I doubt heavily another on foot game would be the new game as unless there are simple mini games no racer just uses up now. How would you increase decrease speed. How would you snake. Mini boost? I don't think they would drop all those features. Could be wrong

Why couldn't an on-foot game have these features and more? Sonic R is a bit of a primitive game, but it doesn't mean any on-foot racer has to be "just hold up".

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Why couldn't an on-foot game have these features and more? Sonic R is a bit of a primitive game, but it doesn't mean any on-foot racer has to be "just hold up".

Well for one it would just look beyond odd. It's one thing to  see snaking in a kart but to see sonic on foot breaking his legs to do so just seems painful

Why's he gotta break his legs? Sonic's already had the ability to drift in the boost games. Mini-turbos are just a little speed boost from drifting, and snaking is just chaining them. I don't see where the problem comes in.

Even then I don't  think a racer necessarily  needs those things to be good. A footracer would need  different  control/mechanics but it could still be fun all the same. 

Sonic games in general get accused of just being about  holding up, so if you get a kick out of them they'll be fine 

12 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Nope, because not all characters run(which handcaps the roster)

Just put a spring on the bottom of their car so they can jump too, problem solved.

40 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Nope, because not all characters run(which handicaps the roster) and some don't even run fast enough to justify a foot game.

Since when do spin-off games require such logic? Eggman got what he needed in Sonic R...and Metal Sonic sticks to the ground even though he doesn't need to, so what's the problem?

Canon speed is ignored.

The problem I have with Sonic in a car is that anyone can drive a car. I'd rather have a game where I can do the things only Sonic characters can do.

• Thumbs Up 2

That should be the realistic answer, but then people act like Sonic shouldn't be driving a car in a car race.

Seeing Sonic characters race on foot with Sonic-y gimmicks seems the more interesting idea for a racer to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Besides jump what can a sonic character do on foot that they can not in a car. Its been shown sonic can go super and leave it, shadow can also leave it super or chaos blast, amy could use her hammer from the car, eggman transform car and use rockets. Outside of rolling and hopping.

Debatable? I didn't say it would be guaranteed better, but it's so rarely done that I'd rather see it than yet another car racer.

There aren't enough good things in this universe...we gotta be questioned all the time.

If this guy isn't in the game...

image.thumb.png.412f849cc1895614973a343f45583fe5.png

...it will be the king of missed opportunities.

5 hours ago, Meta77 said:

It would eliminate the point of an on foot racer if it just did completely everything that a kart racer does (otherwise, what's even the point?), there is actually this really good on foot racer from back on the original xbox that pretty much nails the controls for an on foot racer pretty well and has some pretty expansive maps with multiple routes and character specific shortcuts that would fit perfectly in a sonic on-foot racing game

Obviously not everything here is perfect (it is over a decade old at this point) but I think something like this, updated and polished up for a modern audience could work really well for a sonic racer if they decided to go the foot race route.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Tomzilla98 said:

Sooo anything yet on this? 

*looks at the date, and then the time* *shakes head*

and here i almost trusted this

• Absolutely 3

I'm really just in the mood for another kart racer. I want to go super blindingly fast without all that muddy, gobbledygook about problems with the boost and platforming mechanics and whatever else coming up to plague everyone's minds for another year again. That's mostly what comes to mind when I think of a racer on foot. Just a regular Sonic game but with laps. Kind of like how the Adventure 2 and Heroes multiplayer worked. Or the Rivals games. Maybe it's because Sonic R is the only other example I've seen of a Sonic racer on foot that the only successful vision of it that's coming to mind is basically the boost in Sonic Forces but with even flatter terrain. 

I'm rather fond of the way karts tend to move and feel in games like this. I think the aesthetic provided by the tracks, music, characters, and overall atmosphere will do enough on it's own to justify it being a Sonic based kart racer as well. My mind doesn't really see much of a benefit to having them on foot aside from maybe a pride thing. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Now that I came to think of it... 

Maybe this new racing game will be just like the other two (Sega All stars racing and Transformed), and actually, just a sequel to it. But since it'll be a sonic-solo racing game, they changed the name and said it won't be a sequel to any of the old racing series.

And, wow, I just realized (I know that's obvious) that Sonic R and Sonic Riders are actually the only two solo-sonic racing game. Since Sonic Riders have a really established gameplay, concept, design, and narrative, that's not a surprise that the only game left to make a reference was Sonic R.

Maybe it does have a connection to Sonic R at some gameplay/concept extent, but I really don't believe that is the case anymore.  I believe they probably just made a logo reference so that the game can make some more noise at the fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

The teaser suggests that it's extremely likely this game will be purely a kart racer and I think that will not just be a shame, the transformation mechanic added great visual and game play variety, but will also diminish the commercial impact and critical reception: 'just another Mario Kart clone , pick this up if you don't own a Switch' or words to that effect will be the consensus. If this game is to stand a chance and hopefully secure the future of this up till now successful spin off series it needs to offer something different, it's  to say we can rule out on foot racing so either Sumo will throw in a totally unexpected gimmick or they'll release a generic kart racer in which case the game will sink without a trace.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd love for them to bring back and refine the transformed gimmick. While it's a shame we won't see many or any other SEGA characters in the roster this time, the idea of the art department coming up with three different modes for each Sonic character is pretty cool. I think a new gimmick is likely though. I just hope it's as exciting and involving.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, Cakito said:

And, wow, I just realized (I know that's obvious) that Sonic R and Sonic Riders are actually the only two solo-sonic racing game. Since Sonic Riders have a really established gameplay, concept, design, and narrative, that's not a surprise that the only game left to make a reference was Sonic R.

Sonic Drift? Sonic Drift 2?

8 hours ago, neezTHEhuman said:

The teaser suggests that it's extremely likely this game will be purely a kart racer and I think that will not just be a shame, the transformation mechanic added great visual and game play variety, but will also diminish the commercial impact and critical reception: 'just another Mario Kart clone , pick this up if you don't own a Switch' or words to that effect will be the consensus. If this game is to stand a chance and hopefully secure the future of this up till now successful spin off series it needs to offer something different, it's  to say we can rule out on foot racing so either Sumo will throw in a totally unexpected gimmick or they'll release a generic kart racer in which case the game will sink without a trace.

... How the hell does the teaser suggests that? It suggests nothing. There's nothing but a car.