Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

I really freaking hate how the English voices always change, while the Japanese voices have all been the same since Sonic Adventure in 1998.

I still can't get myself to like Roger Craig Smith.

I'll never understand why people don't like Roger. He's honestly the only actor who's ever felt like he actually gets the cocky attitude to me.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

I will say that it's a very bad look. We don't know the circumstances behind why these changes are being made but the fact that it keeps happening from game to game like this really does make it seem like they're just indecisive.

If they were to replace Roger, to an average person, it'd really start to feel like they were scrambling about with their heads cut off.

If they were to replace Mike Pollock, the world would explode. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I really freaking hate how the English voices always change, while the Japanese voices have all been the same since Sonic Adventure in 1998.

I still can't get myself to like Roger Craig Smith.

Cast 3.5 could still be better than cast 3.0, especially given the ones we haven’t heard yet (or are they being forsaken?)

I remember when everyone hated the 4Kids cast...

4 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I'll never understand why people don't like Roger. He's honestly the only actor who's ever felt like he actually gets the cocky attitude to me.

Roger was known for voicing freaking Batman and Ezio from Assassin's Creed II. I have no idea who thought he would be a good fit for Sonic.

I can't really argue when it comes to voices, but to me Ryan and Jason were much better fit for Sonic. Ben Schwartz is better, but he still sounds a bit too old.

Then again, I could just stop bitching and switch the voices to Japanese.

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

I remember when everyone hated the 4Kids cast...

The hatred for the 4kids cast and Jason Griffith especially was legendary. There will never be a time again where a character's voice was so hated and shat upon by people on the internet. To the point where an entire website (complete with forums and everything) called "Save Sonic" was created.

It was a group of weirdos who wanted to do everything they could to get Ryan Drummand back as Sonic. They even had a banner of Sonic choking and saying he "lost his voice". People there would say weird nonsense about how "It's not just a voice! It's an identity! It's his character! He's lost the soul of what made him Sonic!" like Drummand's voice was the voice of Sonic Jesus or something.

It was really uncomfortable and strange.

Granted, I didn't like most of the 4kids actors either... but I still tried my best to get used to them. 

I'll admit, I'm still glad they were pretty much all changed though. Aside from a couple of them, I did ultimately desire for other actors to take a crack at the cast. I like the majority of the people we have now so changing them around isn't sitting as well with me here as it did back when the 4kids cast was changed.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Roger was known for voicing freaking Batman and Ezio from Assassin's Creed II.

Roger was also a lot of different voices in Regular Show...

His Sonic is in a similar mode.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Roger was known for voicing freaking Batman and Ezio from Assassin's Creed II. I have no idea who thought he would be a good fit for Sonic.

...So? What does that have to do with his Sonic which sounds nothing like either of these characters? 

• Thumbs Up 2

I wish they'd give Kirk Thronton some different direction. I still maintain that dude could totally pull off an excellent Shadow but he's doing the Saix/Kisame villain voice with him and not a calmer, less scraggly voice. There's flashes of his more calmer sounding voice in there at points but it's not as prominent as it should be. 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I wish they'd give Kirk Thronton some different direction. I still maintain that dude could totally pull off an excellent Shadow but he's doing the Saix/Kisame villain voice with him and not a calmer, less scraggly voice. There's flashes of his more calmer sounding voice in there at points but it's not as prominent as it should be. 

If they aren't going to give him direction , they I would like someone who sounds better without direction. Because it sounds like they are just letting kirk do whatever

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

If they aren't going to give him direction , they I would like someone who sounds better without direction. Because it sounds like they are just letting kirk do whatever

I think they are giving him direction though. They're most likely directing him to sound like that. If they didn't want him to sound like that, they'd direct him to not sound like that.

It's not up to Kirk. Like Mike Pollock always says, he's just the independent contractor. He's not the one deciding what's said and how it's said. 

Considering how voice change happy they are right now, it doesn't even seem like they know what the hell they're even doing. At least it feels like it. 

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

So is no one going to talk about Silver's new voice? I have no idea why they changed it but here you go.

This is definitely Bryce Papenbrook. When I heard his voice I got instantly reminded of Makoto Naegi from Danganronpa.

Bryce Papenbrook...oh, Cat Noir!

Interesting to see that Blaze has a history with Yokai...

Any idea who Dodon Pa is?

58 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

He sounds like a dork, which fits my definition for sounding like Silver well enough.

Which is funny considering that's apparently more of an Archie thing.

56 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It doesn't sound like this:

So it's good.

Did people find that really all that bad?

Like, some of the line reads could be pretty butchered("...Iblis Trigger"), agree, but I always thought he had at least a determination to him.

56 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I was reading someone say their contracts where up do maybe Quinton didn't renew his? It'd certainly explain why Knuckles has a new voice too. 

BTW any idea who's voicing Knuckles? 

Oh is that so? Funny how that goes.

55 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Its a departure from where he was before, that's for sure. Even more from how he sounded in 2006.

Its gonna take some getting used to. Especially if he barely shows up after this game.

Interesting how yet another racing game ushered in a new line of voices.

Oh yeah, did Free Riders come out first? 

36 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Because he was different from what came before and coincided with another shift in the franchise's perception.

VA's change all of the time in America. Voice acting isn't as important, so there are things like contracts and unions to deal with. Since most Sonic games aren't union dubs....well...there you go.

It sucks if you want consistency, but you may as well just stick with the Japanese voice option at that point.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Roger was also a lot of different voices in Regular Show...

His Sonic is in a similar mode.

There was also an episode of the new Ben 10 that was ...interesting to hear at random.

29 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I wish they changed shadow's voice holy shit he sounds bad

In this game? A shame since he was starting to get a grip in Forces.

28 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

...So? What does that have to do with his Sonic which sounds nothing like either of these characters? 

I guess they're saying he's awful deep for Sonic.

So Vector had to sneak in to even be involved at all. No wonder Espio and Charmy aren't with him. 

I like how he gets to be the cool and collected detective and the money glut within like ten seconds of each other.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I think they are giving him direction though. They're most likely directing him to sound like that. If they didn't want him to sound like that, they'd direct him to not sound like that.

It's not up to Kirk. Like Mike Pollock always says, he's just the independent contractor. He's not the one deciding what's said and how it's said. 

Considering how voice change happy they are right now, it doesn't even seem like they know what the hell they're even doing. At least it feels like it. 

Yes he is an independent contractor , there are situations however depending on if they person contracting wants the person contracted to just go with how they feel because they trust them, or in voice acting cases might not give a fuck or have enough money to spend the time to give a fuck , will let the person do whatever the job they feel. They probably don't have to direct pollock or Smith. And maybe the figured because of the VA thing they did for forces, they didn't have to direct thorton. Maybe they need to direct thorton,

But I can get with idea, that they don't know what they are doing. And that's probably the case. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next sonic game, more English voice actors were different

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

In this game? A shame since he was starting to get a grip in Forces.

Some lines are ok, some are uh... rough.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Which is exactly why he went evil ham in Boom--he and the others knew they could get away with it there! :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Some lines are ok, some are uh... rough.

Oh, sounds about right unfortunately. Though Knuckles and Zavok at least have Silver as a possible indication.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Oh yeah, did Free Riders come out first? 

Yes. Like, days before Sonic Colors did. Two Sonic games were released in the same month, days apart from each other. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yes. Like, days before Sonic Colors did. Two Sonic games were released in the same month, days apart from each other. 

Dang. Those were the days.

LMAO Team Vector is even loosely connected as a team than I thought. Blaze and Silver are just his hangers-on. Do you think they get pissed every time Team Chaotix blares out as his ultimate because it reminds them that they're not there that willingly?

Also never would have taken Big for being a tech head but here we are.

Which is exactly why he went evil ham in Boom--he and the others knew they could get away with it there! :lol: 

I mean it fits with that version of Shadow. I'll admit that I don't like that version of Shadow or the voice Kirk used for him there. 

I'm not a fan of his performance in Boom or Free Riders, specifically.

I'm just saying, the guy has range. He can pull back on the scraggly, dragged out way he has Shadow say his lines. If he couldn't, his Orbot voice wouldn't be possible, among other voices he's done.

12 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Reveal hidden contents

So Vector had to sneak in to even be involved at all. No wonder Espio and Charmy aren't with him. 

I like how he gets to be the cool and collected detective and the money glut within like ten seconds of each other.

Yeah, I think they alluded to that before.

2 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Hide contents

LMAO Team Vector is even loosely connected as a team than I thought. Blaze and Silver are just his hangers-on. Do you think they get pissed every time Team Chaotix blares out as his ultimate because it reminds them that they're not there that willingly?

Also never would have taken Big for being a tech head but here we are.

Yeah, why are they even around?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I mean it fits with that version of Shadow. I'll admit that I don't like that version of Shadow or the voice Kirk used for him there. 

I'm not a fan of his performance in Boom or Free Riders, specifically.

I'm just saying, the guy has range. He can pull back on the scraggly, dragged out way he has Shadow say his lines. If he couldn't, his Orbot voice wouldn't be possible, among other voices he's done.

.I was talking about Eggman, but sure.

Yeah, why are they even around?

Because popular.

Also because only 15 slots and we need to focus on "popular" more than what makes sense. 

And Zavok is in because, clearly, someone over there has seniority over everyone else and is REALLY proud of that guy being his creation.

• Thumbs Up 2