Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Because popular.

Also because only 15 slots and we need to focus on "popular" more than what makes sense. 

And Zavok is in because, clearly, someone over there has seniority over everyone else and is REALLY proud of that guy being his creation.

I meant in-universe, dude. 😅

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I meant in-universe, dude. 😅

I know you did.

My answer is still the same because the explanation can only be found outside of their universe. 

Seeing how there was an explanation in-universe...I think that would be more appropriate.

Dodon-Pa invited them.

Yeah, I'm not liking Silver's new voice in TSR. I mean they just did a great job with his voice in Forces and now this?

At least Blaze's they got right, not sure if her voice is from Generations. But they at least got her's very close.

13 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Seeing how there was an explanation in-universe...I think that would be more appropriate.

Dodon-Pa invited them.

Oh okay. I didn't really pay the dialogue much attention. 

4 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

Yeah, I'm not liking Silver's new voice in TSR. I mean they just did a great job with his voice in Forces and now this?

At least Blaze's they got right, not sure if her voice is from Generations. But they at least got her's very close.

Yeah, I think it's still Laura Bailey. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

So is no one going to talk about Silver's new voice? I have no idea why they changed it but here you go.

This is definitely Bryce Papenbrook. When I heard his voice I got instantly reminded of Makoto Naegi from Danganronpa.

Silvers voice is pretty weird.

Though I do like the music they play in the loading scene.

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Not if you're a bitter guy like me.

I'll wait until I get the game to see how the whole thing plays out since we found out months before that he did in fact invite them and I just chose to ignore it because I was mad about the roster. 

Spoiler

Oh man, this story is so fantastic so far!
Omo-chao explains something, then Amy says "Oh Omochao, you always explain things" and then Omochao says"Jup, I explain things."
Oh man, this will be a knee slapping spectacle, I tell ya what.

So Blaze just got an invitation that's "inticing" but we're never told why and she immediatly wants to bail out as soon as she get's there.
And then Silver suddenly says he and Blaze will be Vector's babysitters with no prompting.
Phew, here I was worried SIlver and Blaze would be treated as "Shape the character A" and "Shape the character B" still stuck in plot limbo, glad to see I'm proven wrong.

Look, I get it. The characters "Charm" is one of the sellingpoints of this game, so Iizuka wants to showcase their personalities a lot.
Here's an idea, make Tyson Hesse anime a bunch of 1 minute cartoons for each team. Then they can showcase their personalities while actualy DOING SOMETHING.
Instead of making me sit trough hours of cutscenes with characters with only the vagest of motivations, other then "smart dialogue" and constantly reminding me what a alledgedly cool and dangerous dude this new character is.Now I wish we did get the "everyone is captured in a prison and has to race to escape" plot. Then characters could actually talk about something during all the talks.

The Sonic cast really needs an actual THING to interact with in order to be interesting.
Big trying to cross the road to get Froggy merchendise while dodging traffic. Oh look, a character, motivation, conflict. A thing!
A hundred times more interesting then the Sega director kicking 3 characters together on stage and telling them to "Say something funny I guess. Or remind the audience of a thing you did in Sonic adventure." for 5 minutes between every race. God I hate this infuriating "self aware" comedy era.

But right, budget.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I know that. Aaron lies all the time and says things don't exist when they do. He even lied about the existence of this very game.

However, if you actually read what I'm saying, what I'm frustrated about is the methodology here.

If he was going to lie, all he would need to do is say, "No." or "I don't know." or "There's no news about DLC at this time."

What he's actually saying makes it sound like DLC is a bad thing that they don't want to include for all these bad reasons.

If it were to turn out that the game had DLC in it, than his actions here make no sense.

Why make it sound like the idea of including DLC is bad if the game actually does have DLC in it? All that does is make your game look bad. 

That's BAD PR. 

I don't like having to constantly repeat myself and dumb this down over and over again. 

Until this hypothetical situation happens, what Aaron is doing is fine (assuming it's truthful that they have no plans for DLC ofc but even then, eh).  In the case that we did get DLC?  "We originally had no plans, but the fan outcry for more content was so prominent in the end that we decided to do it for you guys coz you're such amazing fans" etc etc. Problem solved.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

Until this hypothetical situation happens, what Aaron is doing is fine (assuming it's truthful that they have no plans for DLC ofc but even then, eh).  In the case that we did get DLC?  "We originally had no plans, but the fan outcry for more content was so prominent in the end that we decided to do it for you guys coz you're such amazing fans" etc etc. Problem solved.

I disagree. I don't think its fine for the reasons I've already gone into.

EDIT: I originally typed out something much longer here but it was just me re-explaining what I've already explained over and over again so I cut it. 

3 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:
  Hide contents

Oh man, this story is so fantastic so far!
Omo-chao explains something, then Amy says "Oh Omochao, you always explain things" and then Omochao says"Jup, I explain things."
Oh man, this will be a knee slapping spectacle, I tell ya what.

So Blaze just got an invitation that's "inticing" but we're never told why and she immediatly wants to bail out as soon as she get's there.
And then Silver suddenly says he and Blaze will be Vector's babysitters with no prompting.
Phew, here I was worried SIlver and Blaze would be treated as "Shape the character A" and "Shape the character B" still stuck in plot limbo, glad to see I'm proven wrong.

Look, I get it. The characters "Charm" is one of the sellingpoints of this game, so Iizuka wants to showcase their personalities a lot.
Here's an idea, make Tyson Hesse anime a bunch of 1 minute cartoons for each team. Then they can showcase their personalities while actualy DOING SOMETHING.
Instead of making me sit trough hours of cutscenes with characters with only the vagest of motivations, other then "smart dialogue" and constantly reminding me what a alledgedly cool and dangerous dude this new character is.Now I wish we did get the "everyone is captured in a prison and has to race to escape" plot. Then characters could actually talk about something during all the talks.

The Sonic cast really needs an actual THING to interact with in order to be interesting.
Big trying to cross the road to get Froggy merchendise while dodging traffic. Oh look, a character, motivation, conflict. A thing!
A hundred times more interesting then the Sega director kicking 3 characters together on stage and telling them to "Say something funny I guess. Or remind the audience of a thing you did in Sonic adventure." for 5 minutes between every race. God I hate this infuriating "self aware" comedy era.

But right, budget.

You're taking what's basically a harmless spin off title awfully seriously...

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

You're taking what's basically a harmless spin off title awfully seriously...

Sonic Riders had a good story! And it was a spinoff

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow. You guys are seriously not liking the dialogue/story so far? Cuz I have seen the entire script through leaks and I gotta say, this is the best written Sonic game.

Is charming, lighthearted, characters interact naturally and have likable personalities, actually funny cuz it doesn't try too hard to make jokes, I really love this story. This is the kind of dialogue I really want in a Sonic game. Sure more stakes would be fine but here is a racing competition with a suspicious host, is not supposed to be a super epic adventure.

funny how the game sonic and friends go race has a better story than the game which eggman conquers the world but that comes with the territory.

• Thumbs Up 5

I find the tongue-in-cheek dialogue appropriate for this sort of game. The stakes are much less serious so it's not like it's out of place, and I think it also strikes a nice balance of appealing to longtime fans as well as children.

• Thumbs Up 1

I completely play a racing game for the story #noidonot 

But hey, regardless of quality it’s a harmless extra mode for additional playability so who cares. We are basically getting Transformed’s mission structure with dialogue this time so to me this is just a bonus - it could have been nothing or the same as previous entries in Sumo’s Kart Racing series.

Sonic Riders May have had a deeper story but it was not a Kart Racing game at heart and more like an extreme sports title. To me it felt like at the time they tried to fit the series somewhere along the lines of sudo-Sonic Adventure spin-off that happened to have a unique racing take.

On an additional note I’m quite excited as my PS4 copy has also been despatched early, so it should be awaiting me when I get home tonight. I’ll try and post my initial impressions when I can.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

VA's change all of the time in America. Voice acting isn't as important, so there are things like contracts and unions to deal with. Since most Sonic games aren't union dubs....well...there you go.

It sucks if you want consistency, but you may as well just stick with the Japanese voice option at that point.

That's actually precisely the reason why I stick with the Japanese cast. It also helps that I've been used to those voices since 2003 at the earliest.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Sonic Riders had a good story! And it was a spinoff

...I wouldn't really call that "good". Certainly more expressive than just a few still shots though I admit.

• Fist Bump 1

The IGN Review gives it an 8.5/10, tears into Sonic's friends being shitty. They give exemption for Tails, Knuckles and Eggman though, so at least that's progress. I remember everyone hating Tails and Knuckles once upon a time.

10 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh is that so? Funny how that goes.

I don't really know if that is the case or if someone was just taking a guess but it would certainly explain why so far 2 major characters have completely new VA's.

Doesn't seem like anyone's uploaded a full story playthrough yet but from what I have seen, every character is super fucking suspicious of Dodon Pa right from the start so I'm hoping the twist is that there is no twist and he really is just some rich asshole getting his kicks watching people race and fight each other.

• Thumbs Up 5

Actually most of the reviews say that the roster is the weakest party of the game, not simply because it's small, but because Sonic characters are not as interesting as SEGA characters.

Also interestingly, I don't think anyone talks about recycled content, the track are actually considered the highlight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Plasme said:

Actually most of the reviews say that the roster is the weakest party of the game, not simply because it's small, but because Sonic characters are not as interesting as SEGA characters.

Also interestingly, I don't think anyone talks about recycled content, the track are actually considered the highlight.

So basically lel Sonic shitty friends rhetoric. Might as well say Mario Kart sucks because it only has Mario characters.. Like what did you expect.

• Thumbs Up 3

Bryce Papenbrook sounds like he's using his Henry voice from Fire Emblem Awakening for Silver, just not as excitedly. I'm still gonna be expecting puns and casual murder thoughts from Silver every moment though.

• Chuckle 3

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Doesn't seem like anyone's uploaded a full story playthrough yet but from what I have seen, every character is super fucking suspicious of Dodon Pa right from the start so I'm hoping the twist is that there is no twist and he really is just some rich asshole getting his kicks watching people race and fight each other.

I mean he is some mystery dude that just invited them to his totally not sinister race. They have every reason to find this guy shady AF.

• Thumbs Up 1