Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

To be honest I think Crash Team Racing Reignited's roster might be criticised as boring too, as might its callbacks to Nitro Kart (a mediocre game in critic scores).

It'd certainly be interesting if Team Sonic Racing gets a better score.

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

...I wouldn't really call that "good". Certainly more expressive than just a few still shots though I admit.

It's good by racing game standards which isn't really isn't hard to do. 

I'd still argue that non of the sonic games have really good stories but they're sincere to make them entertaining but that's another topic for another day

*Part of the reason it's being put down is because they want SEGA IPs over just the Sonic IP*

Okay that rhetoric can officially go for a long drive off a short pier now. 

• Thumbs Up 5

11 minutes ago, Plasme said:

To be honest I think Crash Team Racing Reignited's roster might be criticised as boring too, as might its callbacks to Nitro Kart (a mediocre game in critic scores).

The reactions to the CNK character reveals has been pretty positive so far. All of them have great character designs with unique animations and skins.

4 minutes ago, mayday2592 said:

The reactions to the CNK character reveals has been pretty positive so far. All of them have great character designs with unique animations and skins.

That's true, but I believe with fans, not critics.

I bet that critics are going to complain about the CNK characters as not 'real' Crash and mark it down for it. Could be wrong, but I predict it'll be similar as to Team Sonic Racing. Crash characters are already less well known than Mario or Sonic never mind the CNK ones.

8 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

*Part of the reason it's being put down is because they want SEGA IPs over just the Sonic IP*

Okay that rhetoric can officially go for a long drive off a short pier now. 

Well... no.

In how it’s panned out, it’s given us considerably less roster and (more importantly) track variety than the previous title. I think it’s a fair criticism. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I doubt many people are going to be too down on whoever shows up in Crash Kart because not as many people have preexisting feelings about those characters.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

I doubt many people are going to be too down on whoever shows up in Crash Kart because not as many people have preexisting feelings about those characters.

I disagree, I imagine at least some reviewers will say something along the lines of "it doesn't have the same character memorability as Mario Kart, especially the CNK newcomers".

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, JezMM said:

Until this hypothetical situation happens, what Aaron is doing is fine (assuming it's truthful that they have no plans for DLC ofc but even then, eh).  In the case that we did get DLC?  "We originally had no plans, but the fan outcry for more content was so prominent in the end that we decided to do it for you guys coz you're such amazing fans" etc etc. Problem solved.

Essentially the safety net.

5 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

You're taking what's basically a harmless spin off title awfully seriously...

Which probably goes to show the climate of the franchise and why games like these are needed.

4 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Wow. You guys are seriously not liking the dialogue/story so far? Cuz I have seen the entire script through leaks and I gotta say, this is the best written Sonic game.

Is charming, lighthearted, characters interact naturally and have likable personalities, actually funny cuz it doesn't try too hard to make jokes, I really love this story. This is the kind of dialogue I really want in a Sonic game. Sure more stakes would be fine but here is a racing competition with a suspicious host, is not supposed to be a super epic adventure.

I've been avoiding what I can in part so I can get most of that fresh, since it's one of the main draws for me.

4 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

funny how the game sonic and friends go race has a better story than the game which eggman conquers the world but that comes with the territory.

It's not like its hard.

50 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Well... no.

In how it’s panned out, it’s given us considerably less roster and (more importantly) track variety than the previous title. I think it’s a fair criticism. 

That issue is something that could be fixed if TSR represented more of Sonic in it. It doesn't need other SEGA IPs to get involved. If anything, that might exacerbate the issue. 

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

That issue is something that could be fixed if TSR represented more of Sonic in it. It doesn't need other SEGA IPs to get involved. If anything, that might exacerbate the issue. 

Yeah, that's exactly the point. The reviewers don't simply have a problem with the low roster count, they specifically think the Sonic characters are awful (IGN calls out Big and Amy in particular) and the game would be better served by SEGA reps.

Most critics don't even comment on the track variety and reused content by the way, they say the tracks are the game's best part.

As I said numerous times in this thread, everyone was being over the top about the reused levels, it's not anything that is unheard of in kart racing games.

• Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, ZinogreVolt said:

I find the tongue-in-cheek dialogue appropriate for this sort of game. The stakes are much less serious so it's not like it's out of place, and I think it also strikes a nice balance of appealing to longtime fans as well as children.

Heck, you could argue this is precisely the type of game where that's most welcome.

2 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

...I wouldn't really call that "good". Certainly more expressive than just a few still shots though I admit.

Why not?

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Doesn't seem like anyone's uploaded a full story playthrough yet but from what I have seen, every character is super fucking suspicious of Dodon Pa right from the start so I'm hoping the twist is that there is no twist and he really is just some rich asshole getting his kicks watching people race and fight each other.

That seems like it could the case based off what I could hear of his voice.

Still, I'm expecting a twist whether it involves his identity or not.

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

Actually most of the reviews say that the roster is the weakest party of the game, not simply because it's small, but because Sonic characters are not as interesting as SEGA characters.

Also interestingly, I don't think anyone talks about recycled content, the track are actually considered the highlight.

I'm guessing that's because of exposure.

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

Crash has had less games as of the last decade or more than Sonic and has a helluva lot more content.

27 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

The game has an average score of 73 from 37 reviews on Metacritic. Lots of 7/10s and 8/10s, some 6/10s, Gamesradar gave it a 5/10. For the most part, reviews are pretty positive if not ecstatic. Personally I'm glad most don't see it as mediocre.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/team-sonic-racing

That's good to hear.

10 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Pretty much.

14 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Yeah, that's exactly the point. The reviewers don't simply have a problem with the low roster count, they specifically think the Sonic characters are awful (IGN calls out Big and Amy in particular) and the game would be better served by SEGA reps.

Hence my sentiment in the first place that that sort of criticism is bull.

• Thumbs Up 1

The reviews are about in line with what I expected, if slightly less positive than I'd hoped. The bulk of the complaints seem to come from how it's a step down from Transformed (as expected) and how they wish there were just more to the game itself in terms of track and character numbers. The racing mechanics themselves seem to be pretty damn well liked and the game overall seems fun, if imperfect. Yeah, definitely looking forward to this one. 

Launch Trailer:

Well, I guess it's good to see that the game is turning out to be solid overall. A bit saddened that my initial complaints from about a year ago seemed to have stuck around but hey.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Yeah, that's exactly the point. The reviewers don't simply have a problem with the low roster count, they specifically think the Sonic characters are awful (IGN calls out Big and Amy in particular) and the game would be better served by SEGA reps

The thing that gets me is that the two characters they chose to frame their argument, Big and Amy, both made the roster when Sega characters were in the mix. 

If you going to complain, why set up yourself with characters that make the cut regardless? It seems kinda awkward

• Thumbs Up 5

27 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

I still don't think it'd have the same variety. Much more variety than what we've got, sure - and I think they'd go easier on in it in that case - but not the variety that having all those different SEGA worlds afforded. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

Actually most of the reviews say that the roster is the weakest party of the game, not simply because it's small, but because Sonic characters are not as interesting as SEGA characters.

Sonic game has a Sonic roster. Shocker! It's 2019 and reviewers are still throwing a fit over Sonic's friends. I remember reviewers, particularly IGN, hating Sonic's friends in Generations, even though they were barely there and said very little (minus the final boss fight anyway).

All Sonic's friends have to do is just show up. That's it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 3
  • Absolutely 4

Alright here's the gist of the story for anyone who can't be bothered to track it down:

Spoiler

Dodon Pa is using the races to charge up some kind of super energy engine macguffin, entirely for humanitarian reasons. Eggman wants it for Evil, so he kidnaps Dodon Pa and steals the engine. The heroes race him and win and the engine explodes and so does everyone's cars but Dodon Pa gives them new ones so they can all race together more.

Yeah it's a racing game what did you expect.

Also (very minor non-story spoilers)

Spoiler

A small version of the Death Egg Robots from Forces' city levels gets to drive/be a car. Good for him.

u5WLaM8.png?1

• Thumbs Up 9

The story seems far from what I seen, basic.

Some of the voices are rough though

Oh god knuckles.

11 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Sonic game has a Sonic roster. Shocker! It's 2019 and reviewers are still throwing a fit over Sonic's friends. I remember reviewers, particularly IGN, hating Sonic's friends in Generations, even though they were barely there and said very little (minus the final boss fight anyway).

All Sonic's friends have to do is just show up. That's it.

The difference here is the friends are very much integrated into the game, with plenty of apparently shoddy writing (and now even shoddy voice acting) on show. And given no matter how you slice it this game is a de-facto sequel to ASRT, it's not surprising plenty of people are bummed out by the shift to Sonic only. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

11 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Also (very minor non-story spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

A small version of the Death Egg Robots from Forces' city levels gets to drive/be a car. Good for him.

u5WLaM8.png?1

That's a good lad

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's Digital Foundry's tech analysis of the game:

It sounds like the frame rate was a big part of the reason for the delay. I didn't realise it was so iffy last year.