Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

I'm pretty happy with the scores. Haven't read any reviews in detail yet, but it generally seems to be what we all expected, a fun game that could have been more if Sega had had more confidence in it. Sumo did their best as usual, but at the same time I wouldn't want Sega to feel too rewarded for forcing them to take so many shortcuts in terms of content (though as expected, barely anyone noticed the reused tracks). I hope they'll keep cooperating, regardless if for more All-Stars or Sonic!

Also weird how that Japanese Amazon pre-order with the trailer music listed the "Game Mode spotlight" which they never ended up releasing. Guess the Adventure mode isn't quite the selling point here!

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

The difference here is the friends are very much integrated into the game, with plenty of apparently shoddy writing (and now even shoddy voice acting) on show. And given no matter how you slice it this game is a de-facto sequel to ASRT, it's not surprising plenty of people are bummed out by the shift to Sonic only. 

What? You want the same to be Shakespeare? You want someone like Greg Weisman or Ciro Nieli or Alex Hirsch on board? 

Good for you.

3 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

...no? From a personal standpoint I'm rarely ever arsed about Sonic writing, I was just pointing out why the "Sonic's friends" complaint could actually hold water here.

"I want good writing" doesn't mean "I want the best writing ever and will accept nothing less". Get a grip. 

Well, at least it’s less shoddy in writing than Crash racers or Diddy Kong Racing.

2 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Well, at least it’s less shoddy in writing than Crash racers or Diddy Kong Racing.

Is it? I mean DKR sure, but that game barely had writing. CTR's writing was pretty good, I found. Particularly the epilogue, I found that entertaining. Even so though, there still wasn't a lot of it to be better than. 

I can't speak to TSR's quality much yet because well, I haven't played it. But given the reviews are trashing its writing across the board I'm not particularly bracing for something good. 

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

The story seems far from what I seen, basic.

Some of the voices are rough though

Oh god knuckles.

Speaking of voices...

Vic Mignogna didn't voice Omega in this game. It was Aaron LaPlante.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Speaking of voices...

Good. Hopefully he stays away from everything forever. 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Good. Hopefully he stays away from everything forever. 

I did not update myself on that case. Any news on this?

24 minutes ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Speaking of voices...

Who dat?

Hmm, not heard of Aaron LaPlante. Let me look him up. 

*looks up*

Seems to be fairly sporadic for VA stuff, even if he has been going for years now. He has bit parts down pat though, including random credits like Friend, UPS Guy, and--

KKK Santa

you know what I don't remember the episode of adam ruins everything with that in it

• Chuckle 2

No lie, Shadow's voice legit sounds like Vegeta's.  I pointed it out during the GameXplain livestream, and people starting making DBZ jokes because of the fact that they're so similar.

Its funny how IGN is saying that Amy isn't part of the core group of Sonic characters.

Nothing about the critical consensus for TSR surprises me. It's as I called it a while back: game's not terrible, but not excellent either and it's not on the same level of the two ASR games. Reviewers don't think the co-op mechanics make up the Sonic-centered focus as opposed to doing a third ASR crossover entry, and the game's small content only accentuates that. But gameplay and presentation (namely soundtrack) are solid enough for it to have the game even out to being adequate.

At least it's a better critical consensus than Crackdown 3 I suppose. But with Crash coming out soon, low-70s metascores isn't exactly a compelling hand to play in what's going to be a high-stakes game of mascot kart-racing poker.

• Thumbs Up 2

So here are 2 story spoilers revealed during the GameXplain livestream:

Spoiler

1) Dodon Pa eventually works with Eggman, BUT...

(This is a bigger one, so I'll double spoiler it):

Spoiler

2) He might not be evil, as Big says the wisps willingly work with him, to which Amy comes to the realization that he might be a good person since the Wisps only work with people with a good heart.  So that'd kill the Nega and Classic Eggman arguments straightaway.

So, there's that.

39 minutes ago, Milo said:

Nothing about the critical consensus for TSR surprises me. It's as I called it a while back: game's not terrible, but not excellent either and it's not on the same level of the two ASR games. Reviewers don't think the co-op mechanics make up the Sonic-centered focus as opposed to doing a third ASR crossover entry, and the game's small content only accentuates that. But gameplay and presentation (namely soundtrack) are solid enough for it to have the game even out to being adequate.

At least it's a better critical consensus than Crackdown 3 I suppose. But with Crash coming out soon, low-70s metascores isn't exactly a compelling hand to play in what's going to be a high-stakes game of mascot kart-racing poker.

I'm going to assume that IGN will low-ball Crash since they literally deducted points from Metroid Prime Trilogy for being a collection of old games, but the others we'll have to see.

55 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Hmm, not heard of Aaron LaPlante. Let me look him up. 

*looks up*

Seems to be fairly sporadic for VA stuff, even if he has been going for years now. He has bit parts down pat though, including random credits like Friend, UPS Guy, and--

you know what I don't remember the episode of adam ruins everything with that in it

Da foq...?

50 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

No lie, Shadow's voice legit sounds like Vegeta's.  I pointed it out during the GameXplain livestream, and people starting making DBZ jokes because of the fact that they're so similar.

Well, I guess they decided to drop all pretense then.

49 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Its funny how IGN is saying that Amy isn't part of the core group of Sonic characters.

Yeah, that is a little weird at this point.

2 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

The difference here is the friends are very much integrated into the game, with plenty of apparently shoddy writing (and now even shoddy voice acting) on show. And given no matter how you slice it this game is a de-facto sequel to ASRT, it's not surprising plenty of people are bummed out by the shift to Sonic only. 

Its fine to be bummed out about it. I'm not but I get it.

That said, even if the writing and voice acting were good I'd feel comfortable betting actual money that the complaints about the friends wouldn't change. Its too late at this point.

That also said, I don't read reviews or care about scores anyway so... *Shrug*

The problem with the writing: It exists.

Such a simple one, but very easy to overlook.

Totally got.

5 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

I'm going to assume that IGN will low-ball Crash since they literally deducted points from Metroid Prime Trilogy for being a collection of old games, but the others we'll have to see.

The context you're using MPT doesn't quite match CTR though. CTR is actually a remake of an existing game, and it has new content added to it on top of that that wasn't in the original release. Not quite the same as a collection of existing games with some enhancements/changes  (such as, IIRC, having Wiimote controls for MP1 and MP2). MPT also came out almost a decade ago and the reviewer for that title likely won't be the same reviewer for Crash, so standards/expectations will also likely not be the same for Crash as it was for MPT.

Besides, MPT was still scored an "incredible" 9.5/10 from the IGN review you posted. If MPT was deducted points for being a collection, it wasn't a meaningful amount to change the final consensus for how the reviewer felt about the game. The negative of being "all old games" likely knocked the game down from being "virtually perfect" to "fantastic" on the rating scale.

• Thumbs Up 2

Critics hating on anyone who isn’t Sonic, Tails, or Eggman is the reason I stopped giving a crap about their opinions on anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, knuckles20 said:

Critics hating on anyone who isn’t Sonic, Tails, or Eggman is the reason I stopped giving a crap about their opinions on anything.

They also seem to like or at least tolerate characters who legitimately do suck, such as the Wisps. 

• Absolutely 2

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I did not update myself on that case. Any news on this?

I've not seen a lot. Mostly people blaming Marzgurl alone for starting a "Harassment campaign" despite years of claims that Vic is a creep to the staff at cons and regularly hugs on girls without consent.

He's a prick and honestly less important not even that good a voice actor anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 2

They gave Big an IQ of 5! He's not that stupid! In Adventure and Heroes he was good but here it's ridiculous.

Ian Flynn's interpretation of Big is the best.

26 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

They gave Big an IQ of 5! He's not that stupid! In Adventure and Heroes he was good but here it's ridiculous.

Ian Flynn's interpretation of Big is the best.

Is he dumber than in Sonic Chronicles? Because there he was plenty dumb. Also, broccoli has an IQ of 5.

I'm truly shocked that their brilliant strategy of making only Sonic playable in the main series didn't magically endear these characters to them.

Having them do nothing for so long only validates critism about them being worthless. At this point, their minds have long since been made up. 

Accept it SEGA/Sonic Team/Whoever is making these decisions. That way, even if the writing remains shoddy and the voice direction is pants, actual fans of them could get excited about playing as Tails or someone else in a 3D game again. 

And yes, I'm aware there are probably other factors at play here. I'm not speaking from a position that says there's one obvious solution. Just speaking in terms of the general sentiment surrounding them.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 1

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

They also seem to like or at least tolerate characters who legitimately do suck, such as the Wisps. 

Do the Wisps even count as characters?