Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

Already seeing some voice errors with dialogue not quite being put in properly. There was like 2 cuts in a Sonic and Tails discussion where the voices just didn't finish what they were going to say.

They should really allow actors to breathe. I would really help the likes of some of these lines. Especially Sora Takenouchi Tails who after 5 years still can't keep a consistent pitch without cracking and falling apart. Something which Kate didn't really have a problem with. Funny enough Sonic is given shortened lines to avoid the breath problem he has.

2 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Already seeing some voice errors with dialogue not quite being put in properly. There was like 2 cuts in a Sonic and Tails discussion where the voices just didn't finish what they were going to say.

They should really allow actors to breathe. I would really help the likes of some of these lines. Especially Sora Takenouchi Tails who after 5 years still can't keep a consistent pitch without cracking and falling apart. Something which Kate didn't really have a problem with. Funny enough Sonic is given shortened lines to avoid the breath problem he has.

Criminy, it's that bad?

Just now, DabigRG said:

Criminy, it's that bad?

It's not that bad the cuts...it's a blemish at least so far from what I've seen. It's not a pattern yet but you really do notice it when it happens.

1 minute ago, dbzfan7 said:

It's not that bad the cuts...it's a blemish at least so far from what I've seen. It's not a pattern yet but you really do notice it when it happens.

And here I thought that one moment on the stream was just them skipping too fast for the dialogue to play.

38 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm truly shocked that their brilliant strategy of making only Sonic playable in the main series didn't magically endear these characters to them.

Having them do nothing for so long only validates critism about them being worthless. At this point, their minds have long since been made up. 

Accept it SEGA/Sonic Team/Whoever is making these decisions. That way, even if the writing remains shoddy and the voice direction is pants, actual fans of them could get excited about playing as Tails or someone else in a 3D game again. 

And yes, I'm aware there are probably other factors at play here. I'm not speaking from a position that says there's one obvious solution. Just speaking in terms of the general sentiment surrounding them.

Back then it was like “they could be better if the games were.” But nowadays it’s “they suck. End of story.” 

And it will probably take a decade of handling them well to clear the conception. Like Bowser Jr. 

When did the critics ever say Sonic's friends could be better? I always remember them just wanting rid of them as far back as Sonic Heroes.

In fact, I even remember a review of Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast that gave it 90% but criticised its inclusion of Rouge as another example of a "lame new Sonic character".

Yeah. Its pointless worrying about it. Its done. Just bring them back already.

All hiding them away is doing is punishing the fans of those characters. And if this game isn't being outright slammed despite the Sonic only focus then its reasonable to suggest that so long as they're fun to play as including them in games again will be fine.

The highest rated Sonic game in over 15 years is a game with 5 playable characters in it.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

They gave Big an IQ of 5! He's not that stupid! In Adventure and Heroes he was good but here it's ridiculous.

Ian Flynn's interpretation of Big is the best.

What makes you say that?

8 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

The difference here is the friends are very much integrated into the game, with plenty of apparently shoddy writing (and now even shoddy voice acting) on show. And given no matter how you slice it this game is a de-facto sequel to ASRT, it's not surprising plenty of people are bummed out by the shift to Sonic only. 

I'm not exactly pleased about the Sonic-shift either. But that's not my point. My point is that, no matter how integrated they are, no matter how good the writing is, "lel shitty friends" is still going to be a complaint in reviews.  Like I said, an example of that is Generations. Very little dialogue, minimal appearances, but still ended up being an issue. Because of that, it's kind of hard to take the complaint from reviewers seriously.

That said, I'm surprised people are having issues with the voice acting and writing. Though, after hearing Silver's voice I can kind of see why...damn that will take getting used to.

EDIT: Reading later posts and...oh. We're getting Adventure and/or 06 voice acting errors here. Oh boy.

9 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Like I said, an example of that is Generations. Very little dialogue, minimal appearances, but still ended up being an issue. Because of that, it's kind of hard to take the complaint from reviewers seriously.

To be fair if I had to constantly hear "Be careful Sonic!" and "That looks like a homing shot" over and over again at the end of the game(during a crappy boss fight) I'd probably complain about them as well. 

I mean, I'm already speaking generally as a person who doesn't take reviews from these game pundants seriously anyway. No matter what game it is. Positive or negative. Doesn't even matter if it's Sonic.

I don't watch any of their stuff. I don't read any of their shit. I only know they said what they said about this game because you guys are talking about it on here. When everyone was freaking out over IGN saying that "Sonic was never good" I couldn't have given less of a fuck. I didn't even find out about it until weeks after it happened. Because I don't have any respect for IGN; why would I care what they have to say about literally anything?

That's part of why this whole thing of gating off the characters is so annoying. I don't care what they think. I just want to play as my boy Modern Tails again. 

That's the rub though. I know that SEGA does care. I think that accolades banner for Sonic Mania Plus with all the high scores on it is still on their twitter.  Plus, a game with high scores is a great advertising tool. So I get why they care but their method of handling the character backlash isn't working. It hasn't worked and it never will work.

Until they realize that their opinion on the characters isn't changing, I'm stuck feeling the effects of this limited access to them. 

I care what critics say about video games, including Sonic. I tend to agree with them and find their insight useful.

And to be honest, they weren't entirely wrong about Generations either. The friends were all on a big ensemble and ruined the final boss (which was already awful). Let's not also forget that the most fleshed out side missions included his friends, and since completing these side missions was mandatory for progression, you were likely to engage in at least some of them seeing as they were the most fleshed out missions.

No one complained about the large cast of characters in Mania Plus, the reason Sonic's friends are considered "shitty" is because they honestly have been for over a decade. If you get dozens of games which feature Sonic's friends in awful manners, it's not unfair to say they suck, it's not unreasonable to want them gone and to focus on the protagonist.

The "Sonic's shitty friends" shtick isn't because critics have a vendetta against Sonic, it's simply that for a lot of people, especially non hardcore fans, the easiest and safest solution to a problem which has plagued a series for decades is to remove it rather than risk fixing it and fucking up for the fifteenth time.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only way to have other playable characters back on foot is by hiring this guy. AND NO ONE DARE SAY OTHERWISE.

IF MANIA HAPPENED, THIS MUST HAPPEN TOO

• Fist Bump 1

At this point, only the diehard fans that have been around for about 15 years still give a damn about the whole "shitty friends" trend. The majority don't care, Sega doesn't care, and newer fans who grew up with them already in minor role likely don't care either. 

I'm surprised people still care when it's been almost fifteen years since this all started and nothing has changed. Its not really worth getting worked up over anymore because the die has been cast. Just take shit like this game and Forces for what you can hope for more in the future is all I can say. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

At this point, only the diehard fans that have been around for about 15 years still give a damn about the whole "shitty friends" trend. The majority don't care, Sega doesn't care, and newer fans who grew up with them already in minor role likely don't care either. 

I'm surprised people still care when it's been almost fifteen years since this all started and nothing has changed. Its not really worth getting worked up over anymore because the die has been cast. Just take shit like this game and Forces for what you can hope for more in the future is all I can say. 

If SEGA didn't care they wouldnt put only Sonic and be afraid of the people bashsing his friends.

We didnt have a main game with other playable characters since 2006!

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

If SEGA didn't care they wouldnt put only Sonic and be afraid of the people bashsing his friends.

* Not counting Shadow as a DLC in Forces nor “almost-main” games like Black Knight or Mania.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Or maybe...Sonic is the primary character and the only one really needed. 

Or are you gonna say that every game with only the main character is playable is because the developers "are afraid other characters will be bashed". I guess that rings true for almost every video game in existence. 

Can we please stop with these wild theories on why this keeps happening and trying to justify it when its probably something as simple as "Sega wants to make a game you play as the main character" and nothing really else. 

A game with just one playable character is, get ready for it, actually really common :V.

Just now, Miragnarok said:

* Not counting Shadow as a DLC in Forces nor “almost-main” games like Black Knight or Mania.

Not counting them. I never considered Sonic a main character, rather a main character between many others. It was always him and other characters since my first game was SA1.

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Or maybe...Sonic is the primary character and the only one really needed. 

Or are you gonna say that every game with only the main character is playable is because the developers "are afraid other characters will be bashed". I guess that rings true for almost every video game in existence. 

Can we please stop with these wild theories on why this keeps happening and trying to justify it when its probably something as simple as "Sega wants to make a game you play as the main character" and nothing really else. 

A game with just one playable character is, get ready for it, actually really common :V.

It's been 10 years since we played as Tails and Knuckles in 3D and not in a spinoff

• Fist Bump 1

47 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

To be fair if I had to constantly hear "Be careful Sonic!" and "That looks like a homing shot" over and over again at the end of the game(during a crappy boss fight) I'd probably complain about them as well. 

True but some of the complaints was more:

“Why had ST made these people into such pathetic wimps?”

I just want them better integrated in the games, have an actual involvement in the plot outside of being delegated to the cheerleading section, make them playable for god’s sake as in I want to be in control of them. Just because Sonic is the title character that doesn’t mean he’s the only one I’m allowed to give a damn about.

And if the critics’ complain, fuck em they’re gonna bitch no matter what ST does and they had their way for so long because in my point of view the games had suffered for it by becoming dull desperate attempts of constantly “going back to Sonic’s roots”. And if that’s all they want, no one is stopping them from playing the genesis titles. Let the games move forward and not stuck in the same spot of reminding people how amazing 1991 was.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Just read the new article the site posted. I'm just now finding out that Omega got replaced too. Still haven't actually heard him in the game yet but I will when I buy it. 

The only ones of these new actors I've heard of are Bryce Papenbrook and my boy, Patrick Seitz. And Patrick isn't new to the series. He was Zomom and Snake-Man  Lyric.

Why didn't they let Patrick voice Knuckles though? That would have been interesting. Going from Roy Mustang to Dio Brando might have been cool.

Looking up Omega's new actor, Aaron LaPlante, doesn't bring up anything aside from bit parts and additional roles.  There's not a lot of them either. He's either really new or he doesn't get a ton of work.

Dave Mitchell, who's Knuckles' new voice (and Dodon Pa), hasn't done a lot of big parts. He has the occasional named character like  Shocker in PS4 Spider-Man and Doctor Octopus in Spider-Man: Edge of time.

But in Arkham Knight he was... Henchman. In Halo 5: Guardians and Call of Duty Black Ops III he was "Additional voices".

I'm scrolling through his stuff and it's mostly just "Additional voices" and "Various" and "Irish Sniper #1" and "Police Officer #1" and "Russian Bully #2" and "Thug #1"

"BSAA Soldiers", more "Additional voices", "Clone #1", "Clone Boss", "Clone #3", "Announcer", "Male Gunners" ...

I dunno. No offense to the guy but he doesn't strike me as the guy you typically give a role like Knuckles the Echidna to. I don't want to make any judgements based on the fact that he's clearly mostly used for bit-parts but what I've heard of his voice hasn't completely sold me on this being the right choice either. We'll see I guess.

19 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

The only way to have other playable characters back on foot is by hiring this guy. AND NO ONE DARE SAY OTHERWISE.

IF MANIA HAPPENED, THIS MUST HAPPEN TOO

Change that to can.

And yes, technically speaking, the only thing that was keeping other characters out this long is SonicTeam themselves.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Change that to can.

And yes, technically speaking, the only thing that was keeping other characters out this long is SonicTeam themselves.

One guy in his home on his normal computer, using Unity, did more than Sonic Team with their hundreds on employees and advanced engines and rendering programs.

Just let this guy make Sonic Adventure Mania already.

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

One guy in his home on his normal computer, using Unity, did more than Sonic Team with their hundreds on employees and advanced engines and rendering programs.

Just let this guy make Sonic Adventure Mania already.

Or SonicTeam can just go ahead and make more games with multiple characters again.

Also, please don't call it that.

• Thumbs Up 1