Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

Just now, StaticMania said:

Which are the best stories to bring them back for.

I'd rather have Blaze pursuing an interdimensional villain or Silver chasing a villain from the future.

That's what these characters should be for only.

Just now, Marco9966 said:

That's what these characters should be for only.

No it isn't.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

No it isn't.

Then what's their use? What makes them better to use than Espio or Cream? Nostalgia pandering seems more important than story sadly.

In a spin-off, you use them for the sake of using them.

To fill the roster<<<

Story doesn't matter in a racing game.

There won't be a story in any racing game that doesn't amount to an excuse plot.

The excuse being...what keeps the characters racing the whole time.

So, uh, is anyone else so far having menu glitches in their game? Twice now I’ve had only the menu buttons load up without the writing/text or the background image.

@Marco9966 They might not matter to you from a story point of view but the most important thing in a spin off is the GAME. Silver and Blaze are some of my favourite characters and I was pretty miffed Sumo kept omitting them from the All-Star games. I was really happy when they got announced for this game. Fuck story. I just want to play as my goddamn favourite characters for once. Spin offs are the only time I get with them!

• Thumbs Up 3

39 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

No it isn't.

Believe it or not, Marco actually has a point.

Silver and especially Blaze are pretty detached from the normal canon compared to everyone else and as such most of their appearances should logically hinge on that aspect. Thus, if they aren't gonna be notable features in a game, they should probably be left out of it's story.

That's not to say they can't show up from time to time, but when it comes to the cast/roster, other characters should get first pick with them being either major elements or fun extras..

24 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

In a spin-off, you use them for the sake of using them.

To fill the roster<<<

Story doesn't matter in a racing game.

There won't be a story in any racing game that doesn't amount to an excuse plot.

The excuse being...what keeps the characters racing the whole time.

On that, I can agree.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Silver and especially Blaze are pretty detached from the normal canon compared to everyone else and as such most of their appearances should logically hinge on that aspect. Thus, if they aren't gonna be notable features in a game, they should probably be left out of it's story.

That's not to say they can't show up from time to time, but when it comes to the cast/roster, other characters should get first pick

Exactly!

18 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

That's not to say they can't show up from time to time, but when it comes to the cast/roster, other characters should get first pick with them being either major elements or fun extras..

Which is always the case anyway?

Wouldn't the extra in this case be them forced into interacting with Vector...actually...actually interacting with him for once.

Just now, StaticMania said:

Wouldn't the extra in this case be them forced into interacting with Vector...actually...actually interacting with him for once.

That's like wanting Zavok to interact with Tikal.

Just now, Marco9966 said:

No it isn't.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

No it isn't.

It is. Detached characters that have nothing to do with one another.

Why do you think it isnt?

Tikal and Zavok are apparently recurring characters...it'd make sense for them to interact eventually.

They're definitely made to last.

35 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Eh, not exactly? Idk

I will say that this is probably the first time I personally took issue with them, however mixed. 

34 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Is it because it's random? 

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Then what's their use? What makes them better to use than Espio or Cream? Nostalgia pandering seems more important than story sadly.

Fan service is the term you're looking for. 

And again, you are the type shouldn't be talking.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

It is. Detached characters that have nothing to do with one another.

Why do you think it isnt?

The distinction there is that they technically feel more connected than the interlopers do.  

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Tikal and Zavok are apparently recurring characters...it'd make sense for them to interact eventually.

They're definitely made to last.

Well Zavok is anyway. 

Tikal's weird. 

So is this just being added to the various digital stores at midnight on its release?

14 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

You...didn't answer my question at all. Which was, "WHY SHOULD SEGA CARE ABOUT THE OPINIONS OF A FEW DIEHARD SONIC FANS WHO WANT TO SEE THESE CHARACTERS".

This is the simplest take; the supporting cast have been obnoxious and intrusive at best and just..harmless at worst. But the main thing is that Sega/SonicTeam/whoever has just done a shitty job at actually making them appealing. IF you aren't already a fan of this series when the writing was "marginally decent", why in god's name would anyone care about these characters when they don't do anything of note, have no real interesting plotlines or character dynamics, and are honestly just straight forgettable. 

Yes, you can sing the praises of the Chaotix, Team Dark until the cows come home. Doesn't change that Sega has done nothing to make these characters appealing in the slightest, and seem pretty incapable of doing so for whatever reason. Lack of care, poor management, what have you. But the bottom line is, Sega sucks and they can't do anything right by this series to give anyone a reason to even begin to care. 

Well, does this apply to newer characters like the Wisps? Also, I’m starting to think that indeed the newer ones are unsalvageable, but it could easily be my generation gap. Maybe I do feel what the critics are feeling, but because they haven’t said anything one way or the other, my feelings about Cubot are settled. The subject of the shitty friends gets more and more complicated... 

Yes, I argue that whole racing as Draco Centauros and Kazumi Kiryu is missed, the replacement is not too shabby.

• Thumbs Up 1

SEGA needs to sell Sonic to another studio at this point.

This is what happens when only gameplay is taken into consideration and not story: "harmless" characters at best and "insufferable" at worst. This is when the "shitty friends" trend becomes justified

What's the appeal of Chaotix and Team Dark if SEGA doesnt give them any meaningful story? They could replace the whole roster with robots and it wouldnt make a difference as all the characters are wooden. I understand the people that like games that are "Sonic only".

Even in Sonic Heroes in 2003, the characters were obnoxious and useless. This is not a new problem. SEGA either needs writers that know Sonic (Ian Flynn) or sell the whole thing to another more competent studio.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Well, does this apply to newer characters like the Wisps? Also, I’m starting to think that indeed the newer ones are unsalvageable, but it could easily be my generation gap. Maybe I do feel what the critics are feeling, but because they haven’t said anything one way or the other, my feelings about Cubot are settled. The subject of the shitty friends gets more and more complicated... 

No, because most of the Wisps aren't really characters, much less patented Sonic's Friends.

55 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Yes, I argue that whole racing as Draco Centauros and Kazumi Kiryu is missed, the replacement is not too shabby.

Who and Who?

I don't know why we're still discussing characters in the series as a whole...

30 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

SEGA needs to sell Sonic to another studio at this point.

This is what happens when only gameplay is taken into consideration and not story: "harmless" characters at best and "insufferable" at worst. This is when the "shitty friends" trend becomes justified

What's the appeal of Chaotix and Team Dark if SEGA doesnt give them any meaningful story? They could replace the whole roster with robots and it wouldnt make a difference as all the characters are wooden. I understand the people that like games that are "Sonic only".

Even in Sonic Heroes in 2003, the characters were obnoxious and useless. This is not a new problem. SEGA either needs writers that know Sonic (Ian Flynn) or sell the whole thing to another more competent studio.

Mario KNOWS the friends are shitty and hence keeps them out of main games. That’s what Lost World would have done if it didn’t have some meaningless cameos and add in shittier newcomers to it. Is that approach fine? And yes, even was early as heroes the crams were starting to show, followed by another spike in Unleashed, and then Colors where they vanished. 

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

No, because most of the Wisps aren't really characters, much less patented Sonic's Friends.

Who and Who?

Yeah, i’m Aware the Wisps are a species. But then again one can say the same thing about dozens of Mario species. 

You haven’t played either Yakuza or Puyo Puyo?

5 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Mario KNOWS the friends are shitty and hence keeps them out of main games. That’s what Lost World would have done if it didn’t have some meaningless cameos and add in shittier newcomers to it. Is that approach fine? And yes, even was early as heroes the crams were starting to show, followed by another spike in Unleashed, and then Colors where they vanished.

At least Sonic Unleashed did one thing right which is to have interesting characters like Chip and Pickle who deserve their place in the story. And they didn't bring them back as cheerleaders that didn't contribute to the story like Shadow and Silver.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

At least Sonic Unleashed did one thing right which is to have interesting characters like Chip and Pickle. And they didn't bring them back if as cheerleaders that didn't contribute to the story like Shadow.

Generations was the game that started the cheerleader trend, and the worst offender in that regard. Lost World had many less cheerleaders while Forces gave half of them something marginally useful to do. It got so bad i’ve half-jokingly suggested an Elite Beat Agents clone starring Sonic’s friends cheering on him, just to make them playable.

Dear lord. We can't even have a silly story with Silver cuz nooo he has to fight some villain that destroyed his future everytime or else his character doesnt make sense. For some reason.

This discussion is so tiring but holy shit I want people to know that Sonic doesnt have to have an explanation for this and that, it should be fun, FIRST AND FOREMOST.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

Generations was the game that started the cheerleader trend, and the worst offender in that regard. Lost World had many less cheerleaders while Forces gave half of them something marginally useful to do. It got so bad i’ve half-jokingly suggested an Elite Beat Agents clone starring Sonic’s friends cheering on him, just to make them playable.

They need to make a list of characters to get rid of, mainly Silver, Blaze, Shadow, The Deadly 6, Orbot, Cubot, the Wisps...

Just now, JosepHenry said:

Dear lord. We can't even have a silly story with Silver cuz nooo he has to fight some villain that destroyed his future everytime or else his character doesnt make sense. For some reason.

This discussion is so tiring but holy shit I want people to know that Sonic doesnt have to have an explanation for this and that, it should be fun, FIRST AND FOREMOST.

Then they shouldn't have made him from the future.

A lot of the Sonic characters only for 1 story really.

The story of Sonic 2006 itself involved a destroyed future and someone coming back to kill Sonic who is supposedly the one that caused it. That's intriguing and interesting on paper. That's the only story that worked for Silver.