Jump to content
Ryannumber1gamer

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

They need to make a list of characters to get rid of, mainly Silver, Blaze, Shadow, The Deadly 6, Orbot, Cubot, the Wisps...

If you care about the story, then I can see why you would want Silver and Blaze out.

But why Shadow? That's like asking to get rid of Metal Sonic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DiamondX said:

If you care about the story, then I can see why you would want Silver and Blaze out.

But why Shadow? That's like asking to get rid of Metal Sonic.

If they got him a motivation to actually be here like an alien relative it would be interesting, or having an ideological fight with Sonic. Not coming and being the cheerleader.

Other than that what does Shadow add to the table really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Diogenes said:

It's time for Sonic Team to do the right thing and get rid of every single Sonic character.

The next game will just be an empty GHZ, and you can move the camera to look at the different flowers.

No, Unleashed is a better example. It was a refreshing game with some old characters (Tails and Amy, just enough to remind us it's the world of Sonic), as well as new refreshing charactrers like Chip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Generations was the game that started the cheerleader trend, and the worst offender in that regard. Lost World had many less cheerleaders while Forces gave half of them something marginally useful to do. It got so bad i’ve half-jokingly suggested an Elite Beat Agents clone starring Sonic’s friends cheering on him, just to make them playable.

The funny part is, that actually sounds like a pretty awesome idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

The funny part is, that actually sounds like a pretty awesome idea.

They could do a game where we play as the friends help Sonic get all the emeralds, and then have the cheer gameplay to cheer for him😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

SEGA needs to sell Sonic to another studio at this point.

This is what happens when only gameplay is taken into consideration and not story: "harmless" characters at best and "insufferable" at worst. This is when the "shitty friends" trend becomes justified

What's the appeal of Chaotix and Team Dark if SEGA doesnt give them any meaningful story? They could replace the whole roster with robots and it wouldnt make a difference as all the characters are wooden. I understand the people that like games that are "Sonic only".

Even in Sonic Heroes in 2003, the characters were obnoxious and useless. This is not a new problem. SEGA either needs writers that know Sonic (Ian Flynn) or sell the whole thing to another more competent studio.

I just love how you've overstepped your comprehension to the point of also shitting on the era you previously championed. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DabigRG said:

I just love how you've overstepped your comprehension to the point of also shitting on the era you previously championed. 

 

I think Sonic Aventure 1 and 2 are the good ones. Heroes gameplay is good but the story is bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heroes was an imperfect implementation of Sonic's friends. I enjoyed how they all had their own stakes and goals for doing what they were doing in the story but its how they all intersected (save for the finale) that bugged me the most, and those intersections felt super hand waved at best and even pretty contradictory to the story at worst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, on-topic, I still really like the Wisp Circuit theme. It sounds like what the original stage music should have been. It has more urgency, yet still has a sort of calmness to it; perfectly fitting what Planet Wisp is. The music really does reflect a nature and technology clash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

Heroes was an imperfect implementation of Sonic's friends. I enjoyed how they all had their own stakes and goals for doing what they were doing in the story but its how they all intersected (save for the finale) that bugged me the most, and those intersections felt super hand waved at best and even pretty contradictory to the story at worst.

Yeah, especially since they all had the same levels in the same order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My word, this is still ongoing in this topic 😂

Who plays Sumo’s Racing games for either the story or the way characters and teams are handled in game-verse? 

Yes, the roster is limited, yes some of the team ups are weird, yes the in game explanation is lazy. But we knew this months ago, the story is just a cheap fancy way of jazzing up the mission mode. End. Who cares.

32 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Clockwork Pyramid gives me SA2 Tails stage vibes up the wazoo. And Bingo Party's pretty jammin' too.

I’m gunna bite in hope we get back on track (excuse the pun). But YES! I felt exactly the same way the first time I saw it - I think it’s main inspiration is supposedly from Sonic Forces, but considering the homage/crossover themes in these levels & zones overall it has a very Sandopolis/SA2 Pyramid Base/Forces vibes all over.

Same with Haunted Tower - which blends Nighttime Stage elements from Spagolia in Unleashed and Hung Castle from Sonic Heroes.

I’ve been testing out all the other modes and I like how Green Light Ride plays as the main tune during Time Attack, hoping that won’t get old fast. Speaking of which, the tune which plays before you start a race in this mode... I mean, someone must really REALLY like Daft Punk’s “get lucky”.

Going back very briefly to mission/story mode. Some genius thought it was clever to make the story segments optional. This is great in theory, ...however I went through half the campaign wondering why there wasn’t much in the way of a story going on until I realised you have to press square to view/watch any scenes when proceeding. If you press ‘X’ like a normal person it will skip and go straight to the mission. I don’t know how they got that wrong.

I spent this last half an hour having to go through everything I missed which involved pressing square to load up the mission to get to the cutscene, which straight after loads the race, and then there’s also extra dialogue or banter just before before a race begins too. Then I quit the mission to go back to the map. Rinse and repeat about 15 times. Load times aren’t long, but it was still a pain. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

I went through half the campaign wondering why there wasn’t much in the way of a story going on until I realised you have to press square to view/watch any scenes when proceeding. If you press ‘X’ like a normal person it will skip and go straight to the mission.

The story is an afterthought clearly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose much of what happened on the previous page would be where other forum users would mention cancer or even autism for some reason. 

 

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

SEGA needs to sell Sonic to another studio at this point.

This is what happens when only gameplay is taken into consideration and not story: "harmless" characters at best and "insufferable" at worst. This is when the "shitty friends" trend becomes justified

What's the appeal of Chaotix and Team Dark if SEGA doesnt give them any meaningful story? They could replace the whole roster with robots and it wouldnt make a difference as all the characters are wooden. I understand the people that like games that are "Sonic only".

Even in Sonic Heroes in 2003, the characters were obnoxious and useless. This is not a new problem. SEGA either needs writers that know Sonic (Ian Flynn) or sell the whole thing to another more competent studio.

Sigh 

I guess Shadow's amnesia, Rouge wanting Eggman's rumored treasure, Omega wanting revenge, and Team Chaotix being hired didn't happen then. 

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

 Yeah, i’m Aware the Wisps are a species. But then again one can say the same thing about dozens of Mario species. 

 

You haven’t played either Yakuza or Puyo Puyo?

Relevance? 

And no, I haven't. 

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

I think Sonic Aventure 1 and 2 are the good ones. Heroes gameplay is good but the story is bad.

No the story is simple. 

 

1 hour ago, JosepHenry said:

Dear lord. We can't even have a silly story with Silver cuz nooo he has to fight some villain that destroyed his future everytime or else his character doesnt make sense. For some reason.

This discussion is so tiring but holy shit I want people to know that Sonic doesnt have to have an explanation for this and that, it should be fun, FIRST AND FOREMOST.

 

But the stooooory, man! Isn't that the first priority of all games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

The story is an afterthought clearly...

Well yeah. It’s mission mode but now there are cutscenes to loosely tie everything together - it’s not implemented well, but it is what it is: Still A Great Racing Game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Son-icka said:

Well yeah. It’s mission mode but now there are cutscenes to loosely tie everything together - it’s not implemented well, but it is what it is: Still A Great Racing Game.

I agree the game looks very very fun and very well made in terms of gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve checked through the credits a number of times now but there appears to be no one attributed to the writing/storytelling/dialogue beyond the actors and directors of their lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gameplay courtesy of me. 

Yes my copy arrived mega early!

Initial thoughts.

It's good, very good, not as good as Transformed, but we're talking like a small degree here. Whilst I miss the non Sonic characters and the transformed ability (I miss it a lot) the game for what it is is very good.

The tracks, so far I've only found one I really don't like, and it's because it has a really long moment where nothing really happens on it. It's the one where giant mother Wisp follows you.

Knuckles has THE BEST dialogue by far, especially when he cries out that he's a bird and screams when he has his ultimate move. 

It takes A LONG time to unlock everything, I was playing for 1 hour 15min and hadn't unlocked any other characters and only raced against one other team.

 

Things I don't like.

In GP races you can't swap characters after a race ends, you're stuck until the end of the GP.

The loot box system. (Skip to 1:19:30 in the video to see this)

This mod unlock system is a loot box system, there is no other way to describe it. Whilst the drop rates are very generous, I got a lot of legendary items, I also got A HELL OF A LOT of temporary single use items, nearly 50% of the boxes I opened where those. 

 

Things that could make it better

Fashion mode. Let me pick mods for my car, but let me either have default or more control over their performance, I want to make my racer unique without having a speed penalty.

 

Criticisms which really don't mean anything anymore.

The returning tracks: Yeah they're similar in layout to the previous games, but you now have this completely unique and different gameplay mechanic which totally changes how you approach the course, such as your racing line, when to use your special moves, items etc. It's pretty much a new course.

In game radio: Its barely noticeable.

 

Overall:

It's a really fun game, definitely worth your time. 

 

Any questions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.