Awoo.

Top fan made Sonic games

GOAT

Hello to all. Hope you are enjoying your Sunday! I was writing to see what others top fan made Sonic games are. I kind of just got into playing non Sega Sonic games about a month ago after watching a video about a game called "Classic Sonic 3D Adventure". It inspired me to check some more games out and I figured SSMB knows best!

Please let me know what I should be playing!

The Lakefeperd "trilogy" is decent.

Before the Sequel is, obviously, a prequel to Sonic 2. Gameplay's pretty solid and stage graphics are good, though enemy graphics could be better. I'd recommend the '12 version as it has some fantastic stage music, though the cutscene music is barrowed from other games, mostly Kirby games.

After the Sequel is... you can guess. Much of the same as BtS, though you can choose to play as either Sonic or Tails for the entire game. The music here as all "original," as in its not rips from other game. There is a DX release which changes some things (adds the dropdash and a secret final boss,) though I haven't really played that version too much.

Sonic Chrono Adventure is a more original story that takes place sometime after AtS (and Sonic 3.) Its plays like a Metroidvania style game with interconnected areas that sometimes requires new abilities to access. Unfortunately, the music is a mix of themes from other games, which is a little disappointing.

There's also Before the Sequel Aftermath, which is a shorter game that's more of a test for Chrono Adventure. Still pretty fun.

7 hours ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Also Sonic: Time Twisted.

fun fact: the dude who made that is actually subscribed to my channel.

i would suggest sonic vs. darkness. it isn't finished yet but it has good gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, blueblur98 said:

fun fact: the dude who made that is actually subscribed to my channel.

i would suggest sonic vs. darkness. it isn't finished yet but it has good gameplay.

I can't believe I've never heard of this one before, it looks incredible!!!

I'll just type some games people have not already said.

Sonic Overture & Sonic Utopia & Petit Hedgehog are currently cool demos for few fan games still being worked on.

Not played it yet but "Sonic Axiom" seems to be a good complete one. I'll also throw "Eggman Hates Furries" out there as a fun one, but it's gameplay and some of it's kinda mature themes may not be appealing for everybody. "Big's Fishing Derby" and "Robotnik Creature Capture" are great if you want something different from the normal Sonic games.

I am looking forward to Noah Copeland´s 16-bit Triple Trouble makeover. With using the Overbound´s Game Maker Studio previously used for Sonic Time Twisted.

By the way, how many engines are capable of building a Sonic game at the moment ? Besides CW´s Retro Engine, Game Maker Studio, SonicOrca are there some ?

I'm not too sure. I don't think there are a lot of complete games out there. There are a number of short "concept" levels out there like Sonic Utopia.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 may be a possibility. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Revolution is one of the nuttier, more unique fan-games out there. It’s a 2D beat em up inspired by run-and-Gun games akin to Gunstar Heroes. Huge swarms of enemies, groups of bosses, level hazards, and special surprise guests all make the game worthwhile, along with the unique soundtrack. Each of the 20+ characters has their own special attacks to use against enemy swarms. It is actually more of an adaptation of the comic books at times, rather than the games.

Here’s a taste of the next version:

On 3/21/2018 at 11:33 PM, captobvious42 said:

I'm not too sure. I don't think there are a lot of complete games out there. There are a number of short "concept" levels out there like Sonic Utopia.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 may be a possibility. 

Just downloaded and beat this game today. Amazing amazing game. The ost is off the charts good too. Feels like I am playing the Sonic game Saturn deserved to have. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/24/2018 at 8:31 AM, leemour84 said:

I have a chrome laptop how can I play these games

Sonic Revolution is android compatible and should work on the chromebook: an Android File is included.

On 3/24/2018 at 3:54 AM, GOAT said:

Just downloaded and beat this game today. Amazing amazing game. The ost is off the charts good too. Feels like I am playing the Sonic game Saturn deserved to have. 

SRB2 is my favorite 3D Sonic game, hands down. You or anyone else in this thread can use what I’m gonna say next to take your SRB2 experience to the next level.

Most veteran players feel the controls to be best with WASD for moving and strafing and mouse for moving camera and changing directions. I use m1 and m2 for jumping and rolling, but any keys that can be easily reached work. The mouse speed is very high by default, and mouselook is turned on by default as well, o if you find yourself staring at the ground or sky often, turn down mouse sensitivity and consider turning Mouse Look off in Mouse settings. Analog control with controller is also an option, and while it’s okay, the camera being almost fully manuel means you won’t get the speed and fluidity that the game is built for, so I’d never recommend it unless you absolutely can’t wrap your head around the mouse and keyboard controls that the game was built around.

Running the game in OpenGl mode improves the lighting and smoothness of the textures when you crank everything up and generally provides a more stable framerate on modern computers. If you download a launcher for the game, such as the excellent SRB2 Mod Retriever and Manager, you can make this setting the default when launching as well as manage any mods. Which brings me to...

The last way to get the most out of SRB2 is to download fan made level packs from the srb2 forum; Chaos Domain is higher quality than even the base game, and Tortured Planet is a lengthy challenge. There’s even a reimagining of Sonic 2006 that has no business being as great as it is. All these wads and more can be downloaded from the site as wad files or directly through the same manager I plugged before, which i will provide a link to.

SRB2 is a gem, and its only becoming sharper as the dev team continues work on it. The amount of content that the official devs and fan devs have cooked up is staggering. It’s the best controlling 3D Sonic game and the most consistent in quality.

Mod manager thread: https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=43294

• Thumbs Up 1