Awoo.

Naean's Art & Design Topic (Plus Some Audio Stuff)

Naean

Art #49 -- No time like the...

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 30

art__49____no_time_like_the____by_naean_

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 3

Art #50 -- Sophisticated Swirlies.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 31

art__50____sophisticated_swirlies__by_na

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 3

Art #51 -- The Trials And Tribulations Of Screen Tearing.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 32

art__51____the_trials_and_tribulations_o

There is a perspective error in this piece, which I did not notice at the time of drawing it. The base of the monitor is 3 dimensional, while the desk is 2 dimensional.  ^o^

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 2

Art #52 -- Vintage Visuals & Traditional Trimmings.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 33

art__52____vintage_visuals_and_tradition

The circular shapes at the ends of the street light's horizontal bar are inspired by circular bumpers in Carnival Night Zone.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 2

Art #53 -- Branches of foliage.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 34

art__53____branches_of_foliage__by_naean

This piece has various sources of inspiration.

One source of inspiration comes from my desire to do a more full-fledged take on drawing plant life. I quite liked what I did in my previous piece, called "Chunk of nature.", and was eager to expand upon that.

Another source of inspiration comes from the Unravel video game, and all of the stunning detail its level environments have. This piece was particularly influenced by the plant life from the Berry mire level. Additionally, the rope on the middle branch references the similar type of material that Unravel's playable character Yarny is made of, and also references trees in reality which have had ropes hung on or wrapped around their branches.

This piece also has a little bit of influence from Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. The tendril coil on the middle branch, and the large spotted mushroom on the bottom branch, are inspired by gimmicks in Mushroom Hill Zone.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 2

Art #55 -- MentumAuris Feline Hybrid.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 36

art__55____mentumauris_feline_hybrid__by

There are quite a large range of inspirations behind this piece!

One of the biggest inspirations behind this piece was the fact that my previous animal-based piece, called "Friendly Fins.", turned out much better than I had anticipated. As a result of that, I was eager to try drawing another animal-based piece.

Another large inspiration behind this piece, and the starting point for it, was to draw a cat body, as they are one of my favourite animals. One of my family member's cats, who had black and white markings, and is sadly no longer alive, was lying down on my lap for a significant amount of time while I was drawing this. As such, this drawing has quite a bit of sentimental value to me.

As the drawing progressed, I incorporated visuals inspired by various other sources...

The size and styling of the spikes on top of the head are inspired by spikes on top of the Zomom character's head, from the Sonic Lost World video games.

The eyebrows and fur tuft on top of the head are inspired by the eyebrows and fur tuft on top of the Crash Bandicoot character's head.

The fur curls at both sides of the head are inspired by curls at both sides of the Classic Miles "Tails" Prower character's head.

The muzzle area is inspired by the muzzle area of the Sonic The Hedgehog character's head.

The size of the ears, the ears' inner fur tuft, and the spacing between the ears, are inspired by the ears of the Braixen character from the Pokémon series.

The outer tufts of fur on the bottom tips of the ears are inspired by the ear tufts of the Sticks The Badger character from the Sonic The Hedgehog series.

The tuft of fur on the bottom of the head, inbetween the ears, is inspired by goatee style beards.

The accented tip of the tail is inspired by the tips of tails seen on foxes.

The fur patterns themselves are inspired by those seen on black and white cats, however the smoothness of those patterns are inspired by markings seen on cows.

Mentum is the Latin word for chin. Auris is the Latin word for ear.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 2

Art #56 -- Gloopincerig.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 37

art__56____gloopincerig__by_naean_db7bt3

The pincer is inspired by the pincer on the front of house robot Dead Metal from the Robot Wars television shows.

The gloop is inspired by gooey elements of the Goodra character from the Pokémon series.

The satellite dish styled element is inspired by some similar elements from one of my previous pieces, called "Aquatic Architecture.".

The name Gloopincerig is a portmanteau of three words: gloop, pincer, rig. These words represent the main items in this piece, with the word rig referring to the overall mechanical structure.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 3

Art #58 -- The Rusty Ruins Of Richard Jacques

art__58____the_rusty_ruins_of_richard_ja

A drawing that I have done on an individual A4 sheet.

I drew this piece while listening to this YouTube video on loop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXubvSgn-KA.

Most of the elements in this drawing are inspired by Rusty Ruin Zone from Sonic 3D Blast: Flickies' Island. (Specifically the SEGA Saturn iteration.)

The lamp post is inspired by lamp posts in White Park Zone from Sonic 4: Episode II.

BIC blue médium biro pen on regular paper.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 3

Art #59 -- Ill Conceived Illustration.

art__59____ill_conceived_illustration__b

A drawing that I have done on an individual A4 sheet.

While I was feeling a bit under the weather, I wanted to distract myself by drawing, so I created this concoction, and titled it accordingly.  :-3

BIC black médium biro pen on regular paper.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Art #60 -- Tropical Feathered Flourish.

art__60____tropical_feathered_flourish__

A drawing that I have done on page 1 in my Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad.

Derwent Academy Watercolour Pencils on cartridge paper.

Super special thanks to colleagues at one of my previous jobs, for kindly giving me the Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad, along with some Derwent Academy Watercolour Pencils, as birthday gifts.  😄

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 2

Art #61 -- All-seeing Tassles Totem.

art__61____all_seeing_tassles_totem__by_

A drawing that I have done on page 2 in my Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad.

My main inspirations behind this piece are totem poles in Green Hill levels from the Sonic Generations video game, and in particular, the totem poles and tribal elements in various levels from the classic Crash Bandicoot video games.

Derwent Academy Watercolour Pencils on cartridge paper.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 3

Art #62 -- Rural decadence.

art__62____rural_decadence__by_naean_dbb

A drawing that I have done on page 3 in my Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad.

My main inspirations behind this piece come from the various nature oriented pieces that were painted by Bob Ross in his television show The Joy of Painting. In fact, this piece was drawn entirely while watching and listening to episodes of the show on Twitch's website. The page for this can be found here: https://www.twitch.tv/bobross.

The blue and purple colouring at the bottom portion of this piece is supposed to represent the sea, while the blue colouring at the top of this piece is supposed to represent the sky. My attempt at drawing the sea and sky didn't come out nearly as obvious as I would have liked, but I still am very fond of this piece overall nonetheless.  🙂

Led pencil and Derwent Academy Watercolour Pencils on cartridge paper.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 2

Art #63 -- Glass Stained Abstract Pane.

art__63____glass_stained_abstract_pane__

A drawing that I have done on page 4 in my Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad.

There are two main inspirations behind this piece: One is blocky abstract art, and the other is some stained glass that I have seen on some buildings in my city's town area. I thought that it would be interesting to combine these two elements together.

Additionally, the shape of the encompassing black frame is inspired by the shape of the Microsoft Windows 8 operating system logo.

Led pencil, Derwent Academy Watercolour Pencils, Berol Colourfine and Berol Colourbroad Fibre tipped pens on cartridge paper.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 2

Art #64 -- Robotic emotions of uncertainty.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 39

art__64____robotic_emotions_of_uncertain

The ears are inspired by the top of one of the flowers from Green Hill Zone.

The fingers (Excluding the thumbs.) are inspired by the fingers of Metal Sonic.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/12/2018 at 7:38 PM, Naean said:

Robotic emotions of uncertainty.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 39

robotic_emotions_of_uncertainty__by_naea

The ears are inspired by the top of one of the flowers from Green Hill Zone.

The fingers (Excluding the thumbs.) are inspired by the fingers of Metal Sonic.

This is probably one of my favorite pieces of yours so far. It has such detail and precision but with a fun expressive character. The various elements of it kinda remind me of a elements from Sonic zones in a general way.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2018 at 5:19 AM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

This is probably one of my favorite pieces of yours so far. It has such detail and precision but with a fun expressive character. The various elements of it kinda remind me of a elements from Sonic zones in a general way.

Somebody over on Sonic Retro Forums stated that they love this drawing, so it seems that there may be a common likening to this piece in particular.  🙂

This is also certainly among my top 10 in terms of favourite drawings that I have done. I'm rather fond of this character design, I'm delighted that you like the character too!  ^_^

Art #65 -- Native Nature Nurture Guardian.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 40

art__65____native_nature_nurture_guardia

The hair-esque ears have a combined inspiration from 2 sources: one of them is the hair on the Bubbles character from The Powerpuff Girls series, the other is the ears on the Milla Basset character from the Freedom Planet series.

The eyes (Except the pupils.), nose and mouth are inspired by the faces on characters from the Happy Tree Friends series.

The muzzle is inspired by the muzzle on Tails.

The butterfly pattern on the belly is inspired by phrases such as "butterflies in my stomach".

The heels are inspired by the stick of the Braixen Pokémon. Also, while not a deliberate inspiration, the left and right sides of the waist are also likely to be subconsciously inspired by the waist of that same Pokémon.

This post concludes my Bramblewood A5 Notebook posts.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 3

Art #66 -- Segments of individuality.

art__66____segments_of_individuality__by

A drawing that I have done on an individual A5 sheet.

This piece has many different sources of inspiration, but most notable are those of aquatic and medieval origin.

BIC blue médium biro pen on Ryman Bright white card.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 3

Art #67 -- Twirling together.

art__67____twirling_together__by_naean_d

A drawing that I have done on page 5 in my Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad.

The eyes on the face in the blue circular shape are inspired by a style of eye decoration seen on clown faces.

Led pencil, WHSmith Oil Pastels, Ryman Coloured Pencils, Berol Colourfine, Berol Colourbroad and Berol Colourbrush Fibre tipped pens on cartridge paper.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/24/2018 at 7:57 PM, Mirropolyno said:

Wooow very nice 

Thank you very much, glad you like it!  😄

Art #68 -- The Molten-Mechanical Clash.

art__68____the_molten_mechanical_clash__

A drawing that I have done on page 6 in my Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad.

The overall idea of the rocky fire is inspired by Lava Reef Zone Act 1, however the fine details of the molten magma is inspired by the finely detailed foliage ground in Mushroom Hill Zone.

The lazer gun is inspired by the Railgun weapon from Grand Theft Auto V. (Microsoft Windows/Microsoft Xbox One/Sony PlayStation 4.)

BIC blue médium biro pen on cartridge paper.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 3

Art #69 -- Scattered Sources.

art__69____scattered_sources__by_naean_d

A drawing that I have done on an individual A5 sheet.

BIC blue médium biro pen on Ryman Bright white card.

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 3

Wow, awesome work! The Molten-Mechanical Clash in particular is detailed and amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/28/2018 at 10:29 PM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Wow, awesome work! The Molten-Mechanical Clash in particular is detailed and amazing.

Thank you very much, delighted that you like them!  🙂

Regarding "The Molten-Mechanical Clash.", it's not often that I come up with an idea that not only really appeals to me, but also get to execute it that well, however this piece was such an occasion.  ^o^

I don't know precisely how the idea came to mind, either. One day I just suddenly thought to myself "I'd like to draw a scene where fire and technology collide", and I took it from there. As I continued to draw, I became inspired by various video game elements too.

I managed to get it finished right before the end of 2017, and I was very satisfied with the end result. It brings me such a great amount of joy to see other people like it as well, makes the month or so spent working on the piece feel extra fulfilling.  ^w^

I have a currently ongoing art series, called Pokémon Customs.

Art #70 -- Pokémon Customs: Logo

art__70____pokemon_customs__logo_by_naea

In this art series, I'll draw each Pokémon's original outline, then fill the rest of it with my own details.

All art in this series will be done on individual A5 sheets, using BIC blue médium biro pen on Ryman Bright white card.

"Customs" logo segment, and name of this art series, are inspired by Los Santos Customs from Grand Theft Auto V. This art series' logo also uses a slightly edited variant of the original Pokémon logo.

The Pokémon Customs logo was designed using Serif DrawPlus X8 computer software.

Art #71 -- Pokémon Customs: #1 - Bulbasaur

art__71____pokemon_customs___1___bulbasa

Reference Source: https://www.pokemon.com/uk/pokedex/bulbasaur.

I haven't worked on this art series for a while, as I have been working on other things. However, I plan to return to this art series at some point later this year.  🙂

Edited by Naean
  • Thumbs Up 3

Wow, that's such an awesome idea and looks super cool. The details you chose fit a Grass type quite well!

• Thumbs Up 1