Awoo.

What would you change in Sonic series if you could ?

superman43

Sure, you can hardly change anything, but let´s assume that you would be in charge. What would it be ?

I would personally change the ages of the classic characters. I like the idea that Modern cast are aged as stated. And for classic characters it could well be the "stated age" minus 4 years (as is the case of Amy - being 8 in Classics and 12 afterwards).

That would mean:
Sonic being 11 in Classics and 15 since Generations

Tails being around the AoStH age (4 1/2), 8 and something in Generations and close to 9 in Forces (six months of Sonic torture :P )

Knuckles being 12 in Classics and 16 now.

Maybe even define some span in the series (like Adventure redesign, 06 redesign, Unleashed redesign).

Interesting question. I might have to repeatedly think about this one.

A lot of things regarding Forces is the obvious first/topical answer.

Honestly if I had my way (and this is going to limited to story based components) I'd probably do more world building with new areas and establsh a solid consistant relationship between Sonic and his friends.

6 minutes ago, Balding Spider said:

Honestly if I had my way (and this is going to limited to story based components) I'd probably do more world building with new areas

That's a definite plus/necessity.

* Continues staring at profile pic *

Create an Archie-inspired side-series with a new developer, while Sonic Team is allowed to work on their other IP and new IP. 

Maybe have a period where they don’t even supervise the franchise.

Burn the modern dimension to the ground, salvage the small handful of decent characters and concepts, and refocus around the classic dimension.

Alternatively, full reboot. Again burning the modern dimension to the ground and salvaging just a few things, but not making something explicitly classic; tweak all the designs and aesthetics, rework all the backstories and character relationships, and rebuild the series from a clean start and with a clear plan in mind.

• Thumbs Up 2

Proper 3D game that would have shown that Sonic's Mega Drive mechanics and style were always meant for a 3D world, released late 90s. Quite a massive change but I can dream. 

A lot. And when I say a lot, I mean A LOT!!! I would actually reboot it.

•  Establish a world/setting to avoid messes like the "two worlds" crap
  • Consistency in the plot/story
  • Maybe change up the character's species (Silver will be a mink, Shadow a tenrec, etc.) to create a diverse cast
  • Stop catering to fans and focus on the gameplay and story (you can't please everyone)
  • Give the boost formula a rest (or cut it completely)

There is more but I'm feeling rather lazy

2 minutes ago, Mountaindewandsprite said:

• Maybe change up the character's species (Silver will be a mink, , etc.) to create a diverse cast

What would that look like?

I would change the ending of Sonic Heroes where Amy catches Sonic before he starts running.

Characters in Sonic Battle will understand Amy's point of view and not be so quick to degrade her.

Make Zeena slap Sonic when he made fun of her nail art.

And let Zavok have equal strength to Sonic's speed.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What would that look like?

This WIP I created of Venice the Mink.

Image (4).jpg

• Absolutely 1

I would have Vector more respected by Amy and Cream. He's much older than them, but they treat him like a kid. Vector is better off with his team Chaotix than with team Rose!

I would have more Knux-Rouge moments, because in Sonic Forces Rouge is too formal with Knux, why does she say "Okay boss" to him???

And have Classic Sonic as young Sonic, not a different Sonic.

Have a next game that is like Adventure 3 with many playable characters and Chao. FINE DON'T CALL IT ADVENTURE 3, FIND ANOTHER NAME LIKE WITH SONIC MANIA INSTEAD OF SONIC 5 !!

I would revive Sonic’s gameplay from Sonic Adventure with tweaks, and make others playable or optional, but share gameplay similar to Sonic’s.

I miss the more loose controls. I miss the spin dash, and I miss the speed physics and momentum that Sonic Adventure was loved for. I want to see those things get improved upon, not ignored for repetitive boost games with linear levels... I would be fine with a game that lets players both boost and spin dash. The catch could be that only Sonic can boost, while other characters can’t.

I miss playing as Tails, Knuckles, and Amy in 3d games. I want them back, I want them to be useful and likable again. They are so poorly handled or underused in the modern games.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

My list would be slightly longer then human lifespan....I'll probably upload it later.

Well.. it wouldn't be mediocre for one

Or for a bunch of complex interrelated problems, would preferrably scrub as many of those away as possible

I’d definitely change up a few of the characters canon ages. Vector is like 30 and I won’t believe otherwise. Amy is also way too young. It made sense for her classic self since she was just a little fan girl, but she’s practically a whole new person now. She should be around the same age as Sonic. Not that any of this matters, their ages haven’t been stated or referenced since like Heroes.

I’d also make Shadow take himself a little less seriously. Or make him like a Gary Oak kind of character to Sonic. They’re on the same side sure, but doesn’t mean he can’t flaunt about how much better he is. Sa2’s “I’m the coolest” Shadow was the best Shadow. The thought of a slightly goofier Shadow is super appealing to me. He’s a parody of himself nowadays and I can’t stand it because I love the guy. Poor guy, his game really ruined him and made him more edge personified than ever before. I hate that. 

P.s. I wish they’d give him his sa2 run animation too. It’s different in each game and in his og appearance he glided along the ground with so much flair and style. The only ones who’ve come close to replicating it was Marza in the first cutscene where he runs off after meeting black doom. After sa2 his skate animation has just felt kinda generic I guess.

I specially more in the narrative parts given how much more experimental the gameplay usually is, so I’ll start by sticking to that right now.

First, I’d remove Two Worlds thing and make everything established in one world. That explains itself. If there’s gonna be any “Two Worlds” going on, it’s gonna be Earth (oh yeah, it won’t be called “Sonic’s world” anymore) and the Sol Dimension. Capiche?

Second, I’d retool every single character in need of it. Keep Knuckles on Angel Island and make him independent, only getting involved if things directly threaten his land; get rid of Shadow’s alien backstory, but keep him with GUN along with Rouge and Omega; Silver and Blaze were never in the same dimension/timeline as long-time friends, but they can meet in other ways by having a narrative nod of one or the other crossing dimensions either because of the Jeweled Scepter, technology from Silver’s future, or I’d migrate the Genesis Portals from Archie Sonic to make it work; and while I care very little about the Deady Six, they have their fans, so I’ll keep them and try to make them better than they were in Lost Worlds; and Infinite wouldn’t be a two dimensional edgelord who’s backstory sums up to “I’M NOT WEAK!” 

Oh, and a more active, sensible Tails that doesn’t flip shit when it’s uncalled for like in Lost Worlds, or cowers against the fucking base form of Chaos. If he’s gonna flip shit over distrust, there should be something showing that he isn’t trusted; if he’s gonna cower, it’ll be because of something he knows he can’t handle on his own, like a swarm of Super Badniks like the Egg Hammers overwhelming him.

Anyone else I missed will be handled accordingly, but I think I got the main ones in need of work.

I’d also bring the Hooligans, Nack, Bean, and Bark back. And maybe Mighty and Ray, because why not? There could be something good with them if the effort is given. I’d also bring in Ix and the Nocturnus tribe so that Knuckles can have a personal enemy of his own.

Third, worldbuilding. We already have locations, so it would really be a matter of establishing them in defined places for the sake of coherence and consistency. Our own world is huge and diverse, with places we’ve never heard of, so it’s not like there can’t be new places even for Sonic and co to explore—and that’s just his world in his timeline. Imagine what more wonders there are in Blaze’s world? Heck, Silver’s timeline would be great to explore and see how the world will change in 200 years.

Lastly, continuity. This is essentially going to the beginning, starting with Sonic 1, and progressing into every game from there to Force so as to not only respect those that actually liked those stories even if I had major problems with them, but to also fix story problems in each and every game, and because I would actually find that a lot of fun and it would be a great way of showing how to make them work and actually be good.

Oh, and as a bonus, BRING IN THE EGG BOSSES!!!

I would change the length of the Werehog stages in Unleashed. I've just finished my second play through of it and man some of those levels are waaaaaaaay to long. I know its an age old complaint of that game but they really do take a long time to get through.

3 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

I’d definitely change up a few of the characters canon ages. Vector is like 30 and I won’t believe otherwise. Amy is also way too young. It made sense for her classic self since she was just a little fan girl, but she’s practically a whole new person now. She should be around the same age as Sonic. Not that any of this matters, their ages haven’t been stated or referenced since like Heroes.

I’d also make Shadow take himself a little less seriously. Or make him like a Gary Oak kind of character to Sonic. They’re on the same side sure, but doesn’t mean he can’t flaunt about how much better he is. Sa2’s “I’m the coolest” Shadow was the best Shadow. The thought of a slightly goofier Shadow is super appealing to me. He’s a parody of himself nowadays and I can’t stand it because I love the guy. Poor guy, his game really ruined him and made him more edge personified than ever before. I hate that. 

P.s. I wish they’d give him his sa2 run animation too. It’s different in each game and in his og appearance he glided along the ground with so much flair and style. The only ones who’ve come close to replicating it was Marza in the first cutscene where he runs off after meeting black doom. After sa2 his skate animation has just felt kinda generic I guess.

Talking about Marza, I don´t know why, but Tails in cutscenes in ´06 is more appealing (at least to me) than Tails from Unleashed and after that.

The first thing I'd do go back to SA1 and start over from there. Moving forward I would:

• Establish a single world shared between humans and furries. The planet would be officially recognized as a cartoony urban fantasy version of Earth.
  • Slowly reintroduce the modern cast, maybe change some backstories and even species to fit the new canon. I'd also bring Fang, Mighty and Ray into the modern world while I'm at it.
  • Focus heavily on developing the characters and setting.
  • Keep Sonic's gameplay from the Adventure games and improve on it. Give everyone similar gameplay but with different moves.
  • Branch out more. Not every game needs to be about running from Point A to Point B as fast as possible.
  • Have a side series of "classic-styled" games with 2d gameplay that are less plot-heavy, but set them in the modern universe.

There might be a few other changes I'd make, but this is  all I can think of for now.

On 3/21/2018 at 9:39 PM, Fire-N-Space said:

And let Zavok have equal strength to Sonic's speed.

That does sound like a pretty cool idea.

It'd make his clones' showdown with Knuckles more epic.

4 hours ago, superman43 said:

Talking about Marza, I don´t know why, but Tails in cutscenes in ´06 is more appealing (at least to me) than Tails from Unleashed and after that.

Probably because he still had this youthful, slight cheerfulness to him.

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Probably because he still had this youthful, slight cheerfulness to him.

or maybe because his expressions were really touching in the cutscenes, even if shown for like 15 secs in total.

Ok, just to focuses stuff that are actually important, not super obvious and probably won't ruin franchise for other people.

1 Make Ian Flynn one of main writers. He's not perfect choice, but far better than better than others who tried.

2 Make more playable characters. Can be just skins with small changes (Blaze in Rush) with no story, it's still will make fans happy, with small budget. If fan games can do it, Sega should be able too.

3 Give one more try for Adventure style game, but DON'T call it Adventure 3.

4 Make a story that officially puts Sticks into the Main series and gently euthanize Boom. Just think it through, it's not as easy as it sound. I mean, do we want crossover with Boom? Do we want for Sticks to abandon her home and friends? Think. It. Through.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

Not that any of this matters, their ages haven’t been stated or referenced since like Heroes.

Mario and Sonic London had the ages as trivia in-game, so they expected fans to know them then. Granted, that was 9 years ago, but it's still later than Heroes.

Pretty sure they were referenced after that too, but can't recall where specifically right now.