Awoo.

Should Sticks join Main universe?

MetalSkulkBane

I don't like Sticks, so I have no interest in seeing her join the main series.

13 hours ago, FFWF said:

At this point, what does it even necessarily mean to be "in the Main universe"?  She's shown up in the anniversary comics for Sonic Channel, she's in Runners, in Mario & Sonic...  Who's to say she isn't in the main universe already?  It's not like all the presumed "main" characters appeared in Forces, for instance.

She's yet to appear in a game in the main series of games in any official capacity. That's what that means/ You just listed a bunch of spin offs, and someone at sega who decided to draw some comics. And while yes there are some that's missing the ones that are, have already appeared in such games. 

That's what that means. 

I found her to be two-dimensional in Boom, so hopefully if she does appear in the main games her character isn't just being "the paranoid nut who's right occasionally" most of the time. 

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

I found her to be two-dimensional in Boom, so hopefully if she does appear in the main games her character isn't just being "the paranoid nut who's right occasionally" most of the time. 

She'd have no choice but to be that though. They're certainly not going to give her a character arc.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Which is kinda sad, because her backstory(both offscreen and onscreen) gives a fair amount of room for her character to shine. And the shift in her attitude and people skills between Seasons also gives her room for some Archie!Amy or even Archie!Knuckles-esque composited characterization if depicted comfortably.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not in this haphazard direction, no.

And I’m not even saying that because I’m not a fan—I wouldn’t really mind if she jumped ship to the main series if the direction was actually handled well post Colors. Granted, Forces showed they were willing to shake the direction up a bit, but I don’t have too mich faith in them doing Sticks any justice.

She could definitely fit a helpful position if they were to make a good one for her. But that certainly wouldn’t be easy to say right now.

I think she absolutely should because I don't really see Sonic Boom continuing in any major capacity for much longer and It'd be a shame to waste the character. I think she has loads of potential, but she sadly has not had any chance to shine outside of Boom content where pretty much everyone is one-dimensional and largely unlikable. That's not something exclusive to just Sticks. The Boom incarnations of the main four are really not any more deep or well-rounded. I get the impression SEGA/Sonic Team like her well enough to let her jump ship, given that she has had a presence outside of the Boom verse, such as the Rio Olympics title as well as Sonic Runners. Not to mention she's received her own Sonic Channel wallpaper every year since her debut and usually only the most popular mainstay characters see a wallpaper every year. They even gave her a comic of her own for the 25th Anniversary along with a slew of other modern Sonic characters. Finally, she is one of the many available characters in the upcoming Sonic Battle Racers board game, being the only character "outside" of the modern verse to be playable. I don't really see Sticks receiving much more than the occasional playable spin-off title, but I think even that is far preferable to just letting her character die off with Boom. I do hope if she finds any story presence that she can be reworked a little bit to be a tad more serious so as to better fit in with the modern Sonic tone versus the more comical Boom tone. Bottom line, I just love Sticks and want her to stick around, pun intended. :P

There’s lots of things Sticks could do. She has a staff, cross bow, and nunchucks. She can climb and swing on vines, she can make traps, and can be stealthy.

I feel like Sticks would be great for future Sonic games. If the games felt the need to reintroduce Sticks, I could see them making her into a tribal warrior of some kind. Maybe Sonic could save her tribe from an Eggman attack, and Sticks decides she wants to help Sonic in taking Eggman down.

She can keep her Boom design, but maybe change her personality a bit. She can still be paranoid and quirky, but I think she would need to be a little more serious, and less random. I’d still want Amy to be her best friend.

I would like to see more instances of Sticks and Tails having issues with each other, but knowing how to put aside differences when it really matters. I loved the sibling like moments Tails and Sticks had.

They had their moments where they get along well, but Sticks gets worried about Tails’s inventions, while Tails gets annoyed by her paranoia. I love how they manage to pull through, despite their pet peeves with each other. I could see Sticks playfully teasing Tails about how his inventions could turn on them, while Tails makes comebacks about her paranoia.

6 hours ago, SpongicX said:

She has a cross bow, and nunchucks.

Wait, she does?

If the games felt the need to reintroduce Sticks, I could see them making her into a tribal warrior of some kind. 

Well, one of her concept designs does give off that vibe.

File:CASticks.png

She can keep her Boom design, 

Heck, her Boom design is practically SEGASonic design anyway.

but maybe change her personality a bit. She can still be paranoid and quirky, but I think she would need to be a little more serious, and less random. I’d still want Amy to be her best friend.

I would like to see more instances of Sticks and Tails having issues with each other, but knowing how to put aside differences when it really matters. I loved the sibling like moments Tails and Sticks had.

They had their moments where they get along well, but Sticks gets worried about Tails’s inventions, while Tails gets annoyed by her paranoia. I love how they manage to pull through, despite their pet peeves with each other. I could see Sticks playfully teasing Tails about how his inventions could turn on them, while Tails makes comebacks about her paranoia.

Agreed.

Even if Boom!Tails is the most "boring" of the Main Cast.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree though, there are a lot ways to improve her, less random one liners for example, make her more balanced like any characters should be, but keep her paranoia and theories please, it's part of the appeal for me. I mean, everything has potential to be good, in this case Sticks is already good for many people, and for me obviously... but of course she could be better.

I also agree that they made Tails a bit boring in Boom, he really doesn't have flaws that's why I kind of dislike him there, he's cute and fuzzy but his only flaws are his faulty inventions. But definitely better than anything we've seen in games since the Adventure era.

5 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

I also agree that they made Tails a bit boring in Boom, he really doesn't have flaws that's why I kind of dislike him there, he's cute and fuzzy but his only flaws are his faulty inventions. But definitely better than anything we've seen in games since the Adventure era.

It's largely Boom is a show where a lot of the characters have one or two noteworthy attitudes and flaws that cause any amount of humorous hijinks that you likely wouldn't be able to get in almost any other bracket of the franchise. As such, each of the main cast members have their quirks, shortcomings, and hangups that make them entertaining and spontaneous--except for Tails.

• His redesign, while a good for him, isn't very eye-catching and noticeable,
  • he's not wacky or quirky and in fact quite rational and reserved, but with little else to distinguish him,
    • he's not awesomely ego-driven,
    • he's not prone to hammy declarations or outbursts,
    • he's not really one for comedic dickishness,
    • he has no odd interests(that I remember),
  • he doesn't have any iconic attacks/fighting-style,
  • and he doesn't contribute much to the team dynamic.

but his only flaws are his faulty inventions.

And while there's not necessarily anything wrong with it, most of his episodes I recall has this formula of "Present invention that screws up, Others are bothered by it and/or Tails feels bad, Villain/Conflict happens, Tails saves the day with Invention"--something I recall at least one person lamenting.

Come to think of it, how many episodes has he gotten compared to anyone else?

But definitely better than anything we've seen in games since the Adventure era.

Well, there was the stuff with Wave in Riders. And it's not like he hasn't been doing/contributing anything one way or the other throughout the games. It's just that the two most recent outings did not endear a lot of people and now they can't let it go.

14 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

I agree though, there are a lot ways to improve her, less random one liners for example, make her more balanced like any characters should be, but keep her paranoia and theories please, it's part of the appeal for me. I mean, everything has potential to be good, in this case Sticks is already good for many people, and for me obviously... but of course she could be better.

Sticks is a character that's hard to see functioning outside of Boom honestly. There's room for improvement and a point of development for someone like her, but, ignoring the obvious fact that the folks over at Sonic Team aren't going to bother with that, there's realistically too little of a reason for the series to add in another hero character to the mix. At least when it comes to what we consider the permanent cast list and not a supportive NPC character like the President or Professor Pickle. She'd be fine as that.

If we're strictly talking about adding her in as a main cast member now, at the moment, the current cast don't even have much in lue of development that fixes the problems plaguing their characters. If I were in charge, I'd probably get that out of the way first before I ever considered adding another one in. Even then, that would probably take a few years to do and by then would it even be worth it? Not only would a significant amount of time need to go by but churning another character in from a spin-off show that had long since ended would only be in service of... I'm not really sure. Fan-service, I guess.

Perhaps you could ween a few good stories and character dynamics out of it but the hassle it would take for it work as well as it can with the best case scenario seems like a lot.

And worst case scenario (the scenario that will most likely happen) she's just thrown in, given a few interchangeable lines in some text boxes, and fitted for some pom poms so she can cheer Sonic (or Classic Sonic) on at the end of the game.

14 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Oh, he definitely had flaws. His biggest and, personally, most relatable one was all the clear issues with self-esteem he showcased. 

Sometimes they came in short bursts and sometimes they were a bigger focus, but it was always something I was appreciative of since he'd been such a blank slate since the Adventure days.

Something as simple as being tasked with saying "Ready, Set, GO!" when he's starting a competition between Sonic and Knuckles against Amy and Sticks in the woods ends with him freaking out about saying it wrong and then trying to convince them it wasn't his fault because he's never done anything like that before. It's funny because it's slightly exaggerated but I relate to getting so worried about doing minor tasks and screwing them up despite the people around me not really giving a shit about it.

There were other things like how he had to psych himself up in preparation for Eggman's arrival when they were doing a bet to see if they could take on Eggman individually. He freaked out, got worried, hoped his invention was right. Then Eggman showed up and he tried to play it off like he was cool and went to put his hand up on the device to stand in a cool pose but fell and landed on his butt. Then he starts explaining his device and what it can do and he gets so wrapped up in his excitement for the invention he made (which is adorable in its own right) that he messes up and gives Eggman the chance to test it out... then Eggman tests it out on Tails and freezes the poor fox in place. It was an example of nerves and carelessness doing him in rather than an example of him just being dumb like Knuckles. Like the "Because you just told me fox boy" moment from SA2 but more comedic and silly.

There's other stuff like the episode where he's trying to court Zoey to respond to his affections and stuff where the mistake he made abandoning one of his inventions ended up landing him and everyone else in danger. That was more about his personal actions regarding how he handled it and not really one about the invention itself just not working. Though there were episodes like that too, as was pointed out above.

And then there's also the fact that he's the most fun version of Tails that I feel currently exists. Seeing Tails rap in a car, dance while wearing a sparkly jacket in a boy band, eat smores with Sonic, pretend to be a Sports Announcer for a silly game, voluntarily shoot himself out of a cannon and into a garbage can for fun... that's the kind of childish stuff I enjoy seeing him indulge himself in. It's proof he can still be a kid without losing his smarts.

Boom Tails should be the one joining the main cast in my opinion. Losing him is gonna break my heart. 

Sticks is full of flaws and that's why I like her, she's likely not gonna change outside of Boom, but as I said, put her into a different context/situation and she'll adapt naturally. Boom Tails, as I said, is definitely better than anything else we've got so he's welcome to join, writing-wise, the series. And of course I'm fine with Sticks being a minor NPC character and not a protagonist, she was a protagonist in Boom and I'm thankful for that, but I say just don't let her die or be forgotten.

• 1 month later...

Sticks? For the main Universe?

Nah, that's boosh. Sticks is a Boom exclusive, and she wouldn't really fit anywhere else. Plus, her design is different from the designs of the main cast, which makes her stand out EVEN MORE.

Plus, don't we already have Marine for the "LOL HYPER RANDOM GIRL" character in the main canon?

1 hour ago, A person, that exists said:

Nah, that's boosh. Sticks is a Boom exclusive, and she wouldn't really fit anywhere else. Plus, her design is different from the designs of the main cast, which makes her stand out EVEN MORE.

Plus, don't we already have Marine for the "LOL HYPER RANDOM GIRL" character in the main canon?

1) Her design is perfectly fitting with the main cast. She's not bigger aberration than Big or Charmy

2) Her humor is actually much different from Marine. For starters Sticks in a cartoon isn't really that hyperactive, that's what Flynn did in comics.  Plus Marine has really small chances coming back as more than NPC in next Olympics.

(If I was an artist I have a perfect idea for their first meeting. Sticks would assume Marine is a failed clone experiment by a government, while Marine would conclude that Sticks is awesome and will try to be just like her, only fueling Sticks paranoia. Also, I want Marine to pick up a boomerang, feel complete for the first time in her life, throw it, and then it would smack in the back of her head.)

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

I agree with what Skull said, in addition to that I want to add, in a very cynical way (sorry already):

1. Boom is dead, which means Sticks would be dead if she wasn't added to the main canon. Fingers crossed she gets added.

2. Marine... well, she's irrelevant, she's definitely not in the main franchise, she's not even a recurring character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jack the Maniac said:

Boom is dead, which means Sticks would be dead if she wasn't added to the main canon. Fingers crossed she gets added.

The toys sell, the show gets seemingly good ratings, and I'm pretty sure that Sega/Sanzaru will try to make another Boom game.

1 minute ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Marine... well, she's irrelevant, she's definitely not in the main franchise, she's not even a recurring character.

Guess who else was irrelevant? Mighty and Ray, and as we can see, they've got a comeback.

As for my own opinion on the matter: Why do you think that the Olympic Games of all things are proof that Sticks joins the main canon? After all, the Olympics' sole purpose is to make the already rich blokes at Sega and Nintendo richer and sell toys, it's not like they're really gonna care about the canonicity of the product. The only reason Sticks is in the Olympics, is because she can use a bow, and archery is an Olympic sport.

So, long story short, I wouldn't trust a minigame collection with Mario and Sonic lazily slapped on it.

12 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

The toys sell, the show gets seemingly good ratings, and I'm pretty sure that Sega/Sanzaru will try to make another Boom game.

Guess who else was irrelevant? Mighty and Ray, and as we can see, they've got a comeback.

As for my own opinion on the matter: Why do you think that the Olympic Games of all things are proof that Sticks joins the main canon? After all, the Olympics' sole purpose is to make the already rich blokes at Sega and Nintendo richer and sell toys, it's not like they're really gonna care about the canonicity of the product. The only reason Sticks is in the Olympics, is because she can use a bow, and archery is an Olympic sport.

So, long story short, I wouldn't trust a minigame collection with Mario and Sonic lazily slapped on it.

It's not that, Sticks got her bio and picture on the Sonic Channel, nothing about Boom does, it's clear Sonic Team likes her. But I don't put this as a confirmation, until we get her in more games/comics, it's not confirmed, I just hope she gets added.

Mighty and Ray were requested though, Marine isn't, Mighty and Ray reappeared because there was an opportunity that presented itself: Mania, we don't know if they are back for more games, but I wouldn't rule out Marine returning, never say never, however, RIGHT NOW, she's irrelevant.

• Nice Smile 1

Sticks once you strip away the conspiracy theory survivalist persona (since it wouldn't translate well outside of Sonic Boom's self-aware sitcom style) is really just Knuckles without the guardian angle (wild child, aggressive). And I'd rather not have another character imposing on the red echidna's shtick.

I'd like Sticks to stick around. Maybe tone her down a little, especially in regards to the fourth wall breaks, but I think she could fit in as a somewhat more comedic character.

57 minutes ago, Almar said:

Sticks once you strip away the conspiracy theory survivalist persona (since it wouldn't translate well outside of Sonic Boom's self-aware sitcom style) is really just Knuckles without the guardian angle (wild child, aggressive). And I'd rather not have another character imposing on the red echidna's shtick.

Even though Knuckles has never really been that wild and even had some occasional sense of levelheadedness and tranquility about him?

19 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

Okay. Do you just say these kinds of things to get a rise out of people here?

3 hours ago, Almar said:

Which is completely disregarding the fact that Knuckles in Boom doesn’t have his guardian angle there. Never mind that the conspiracy theory survivalist is Sticks primary character. 

And I know you aren’t blind to how hypocritical your claim is.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/28/2018 at 11:01 AM, DabigRG said:

Wait, she does?

She's incredibly skilled at hand crafting weapons. She's been established to be pretty keen at hand-to-hand combat, and she's awfully resourceful to boot. She has no less than her trusty boomerang, a crossbow, a slingshot, nunchucks, a net, a bo staff, a club and giant metal mace.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Even though Knuckles has never really been that wild and even had some occasional sense of levelheadedness and tranquility about him?

He was wild/isolated enough in the Genesis to Adventure days (setting traps, giggling like a hyena, naive enough to trust Eggman, a cut comment on his distate for Station Square). Even if that aspect of him has been played down nowadays.

10 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Which is completely disregarding the fact that Knuckles in Boom doesn’t have his guardian angle there.

Boom Knuckles is more or less an OC even when ignoring the lack of guardianship. Even at his biggest Zoidberg moments Knuckles was never on the level of his Boom version when it comes to getting you to wonder how he's still alive.

Boom Knuckles is more or less an OC even when ignoring the lack of guardianship.

Yeah, that was essentially the same exact point I made while you sidestepped the whole argument toward Sticks. Ignoring his lack of guardianship, which is a disingenuous move to make in itself, doesn’t change that.