Awoo.

Possible Silver The Hedgehog game mentioned at SXSW 2018 Sonic Panel?

Blueknight V2.0

Now I know its been almost 2 weeks since the Sonic SXSW 2018 panel, but it has just come to my attention that at SXSW, Sega may have teased a Silver The Hedgehog game. Obviously Sega recognizes Silver's popularity as a character and that views on the character has gotten more and more positive as the years went by since Sonic 2006. If a game was to be made I think they should do like an origin story like Shadow's game and show how Silver met Blaze, so that way we know if 2006 was before or after Rush (officially it's after Rush, but my theory it's more likely than Sega's amnesia excuse would be 2006 first, then the Rush games second)and clear up 2006's story and gameplay/graphic problems. Anyways, I think gameplay wise would kind of be like the boost formula games with Silver and Blaze being playable throughout the story mode. But I think this is interesting if they actually decide to do it, after all Shadow got a game why not Silver. So what do you guys think about this?

• Fist Bump 2

It could easily be how Silver got home after Forces, and why he even bothered to be there.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess it’s an interesting idea, Silvers telekinesis within a fast paced platformer. Unfortunately I can only imagine it being executed well in a 2D situation, which is probably not what they’d and the silver fanbase have in mind

Let's start with reality: it's not gonna happen. Fan ask about it and Izuka just gave vague "yeah, we want to do.. eh, something". Silver is not popular enough for his own game. Even if he's liked well enough in community, a casual gamer don't remembers him/remembers him as "06 guy".

But if I assumed that world went crazy and we're getting getting a game
- Gameplay wise they need to combine his telekinesis with fast speed  gaming (HA, good luck with that) or just abandon speed fully and focus on combat/puzzles/platforming/etc.' Maybe use time mechanics ala Sonic CD.
- Story wise: I would definitely put Blaze in the game, if anything to make her fans happy. And I don't need Silver's origin, rather his status quo. How his future looks like, how he travels. Does he appear only for time-crisises or when he's bored? Stuff like that. And here's the simplest solution to 06 Blaze.

Spoiler

06 takes place before Rush games. Blaze sacrifice made her reincarnate in Sol Dimension as a princess and due to 06 removing itself, no one remembered that.

But I wouldn't focus main story on that. Make it a side trivia-thing, that fans can learn. Kinda like Rosalina backstory in Mario Galaxy.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

Something like this would only interest me story and world-building wise. If I had any faith in Sonic Team's ability to set Silver's confusing nonsense straight, even then I'd be skeptical of them being able to pull off a story... 

Like just a story. A narrative that had things happening in it. It's hard seeing them doing that right. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

- Gameplay wise they need to combine his telekinesis with fast speed  gaming (HA, good luck with that)

It could work if you do some streamlining. Silver tends not to benefit from holding or throwing more than one item at a time in 06, so focus things on indidual catches and throws instead. Needing to stun enemies before you can throw them is some pretty redundant bullshit too, so turn whatever melee attacks he has into force pushes instead of doing that. And since Silver's gameplay rarely if ever needs any semblance of precision in moving things telekinetically (a handful of side missions notwithstanding), just boil the whole thing down to grabbing, throwing and surfing. Kinda like an off-brand Klonoa when you think about it. It'd be interesting to see what still works after you cut all the fat off.

That all being said, still gotta say a Silver game is pretty unrealistic, not the least of which because that would mean actually focusing on a character that isn't Sonic. I'd rather just see him as playable in a main game again tbh.

• Thumbs Up 5

A SIlver game's story is pointless right off the bat, because we already know the solution to any problem he or his future will face will be to go back in time and romp around with his best pal Sonic.

By solving his problem in the past, he'll retcon it out of the future, and the whole thing will be back to square 1 a la 06.

On one hand, you are erasing your footprints so you have less of a chance of messing up lure... on the other... whats the point of telling the story? It could be the best story ever but if it never happens in the first place than that will automatically take some of the luster off it.

I seriously doubt we are getting a SIlver game. Even as a side project / spinoff. Shadow (and maybe Tails) would take precedence on any such project.

• Thumbs Up 1

As cool as a game about Silver would be, I don't think it's very likely. Even if Sega decided to bring back character-based spinoffs, they'd probably start with someone more popular like Tails.

But assuming that this game really is a thing, I'd prefer if the story didn't revisit Next Gen. The sooner we bury that game forever the better. It isn't even supposed to be canon anyway...

8 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

It could work if you do some streamlining. Silver tends not to benefit from holding or throwing more than one item at a time in 06, so focus things on indidual catches and throws instead. Needing to stun enemies before you can throw them is some pretty redundant bullshit too, so turn whatever melee attacks he has into force pushes instead of doing that. And since Silver's gameplay rarely if ever needs any semblance of precision in moving things telekinetically (a handful of side missions notwithstanding), just boil the whole thing down to grabbing, throwing and surfing. Kinda like an off-brand Klonoa when you think about it. It'd be interesting to see what still works after you cut all the fat off.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Silver could work with Klonoa-styled gameplay.

You know, that reminds me of a game I once considered. A hedgehog trio and time time that fixes problem of game length.

1 It starts with Eggman checking some ancient ruins for super weapon and Metal Sonic catching some kinda of virus thing that infects machines. Sonic is there to stop it, standard adventure, maybe put rest of the Core Cast somewhere.

2 You win the game, credits roll... and then Shadow campaign unlocks. Sonic didn't destroyed the virus properly and it spread. You play the same levels as before, only in 'apocalyptic scenario' sort of way. Main villain in the story is Omega, corrupted by virus. Sort of "Old Man Logan" thing, with Shadow being alone and tired. Story ends with Shadow finding Silver and helping him go to the past.
(I though to never make clear what happened to the rest of characters, just to keep it "E for everyone". But if we want a gut punching moment, have Shadow talk to the Rouge on com-link. Later down the line it's revealed that Rouge is just a computer AI navigator that he named after her.)

3 Last story is about Silver meeting that ancient civilization which created that virus and stopping it from ever existing (or maybe finding it's weakness and going to "present" to help Sonic finish it properly. Either way by the end of a day only Silver knows full story.
(Maybe reveal that Eggman Nega was behind creating that virus. That way 1 we can still fight Eggman robots in the past. 2 we have excuse for Silver to be involved as Nega is messing with time.)

Not only it makes for intense story (which starts simple, not to scare some people), but it also allows reusing assets and levels in interesting way. I think it's not that hard to make a palace, then turn it into a ruin then cover it with post-apocalyptical decorations. Easier than making 3 different palaces, but keeps player interested.

4 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

But I think this is interesting if they actually decide to do it, after all Shadow got a game why not Silver. So what do you guys think about this?

Shadow is really popular, that's why. Silver is less so. 

But to this whole... thing, Iizuka has mentioned wanting to make knuckles, and tails games but not being able to. 

So I don't think silver is getting a game no. 

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Shadow is really popular, that's why. Silver is less so. 

But to this whole... thing, Iizuka has mentioned wanting to make knuckles, and tails games but not being able to. 

So I don't think silver is getting a game no. 

Wait, if Iizuka wants to make games about people who aren't Sonic then what's stopping him? Isn't he in charge of the series or something?

50 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

Wait, if Iizuka wants to make games about people who aren't Sonic then what's stopping him? Isn't he in charge of the series or something?

The people who give him the money to make video games

You know being the director of a thing doesn't instantly  give you money? You gotta like, put forward ideas that the people giving you the money think will make them money or have built up such a catalog of good ideas or the people are funding you want you to get weird.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Splash the Otter said:

Iizuka has bosses too, you know ? And those don't want a game with the main character being anyone but Sonic.

2 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

You do realize that he wants those games to sell, right?

34 minutes ago, superman43 said:

Iizuka has bosses too, you know ? And those don't want a game with the main character being anyone but Sonic.

What else are they responsible for? Were they behind the Classic/Modern divide too?

2 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

You do realize that he wants those games to sell, right?

Why wouldn't they sell? I know I'd pay good money for a Tails' Adventure sequel.

1 minute ago, Splash the Otter said:

Why wouldn't they sell? I know I'd pay good money for a Tails' Adventure sequel.

Of course you do, you're a fan.

Basic math

Game that 10 people will like and buy >>>>>>>>>>> Game that 1 person will love and buy.

Is every Silver fan willing to buy 10 copies? If not, then I have bad news.

3 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

Okay, that's one sale. Can you guarantee a couple hundred thousand more?

Confidence in the series and the people responsible for it is still low. In general, people aren't looking to explore gimmicks or other characters when the series is failing to fulfill their primary reasons for following it. There may be some people who would be interested in a Tails Adventure 2 or a Silver game or whatever, but those kinds of games would be targeting small subsets of an already dwindling fanbase.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

It could easily be how Silver got home after Forces, and why he even bothered to be there.

Silver's presence in Forces is explained in the prequel comics (essentially the Sonic franchise apparently works on the basis that the future can become re-fucked up every time something bad happens specifically in Sonic's time - as if that makes any sense whatsoever - and Silver once again just found a way back to the present to be like "Can I not leave you guys alone for FIVE MINUTES geez").

Anyway, I think Iizuka is already aware of Silver's current popularity WITHIN the fanbase, and it seems like he has a fair few fans internally at Sonic Team - but the kind of thing that this results in is what we saw in Forces - Silver was one of few characters to get a cut-scene really focused on him.  He gets a proper little fight scene with Infinite.  That's the sort of thing we can expect from what Iizuka said - a continued respect for him being one of the "higher-ranked" of Sonic's Shitty Friends™.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

It's been weeks, if there was no uproar about the possibility of a Silver game you can assume it's the same answer that they always give to things that are incredibly unlikely they'd do.

Of all the characters that will get their own game after Sonic.. it's Classic Sonic

31 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Not gonna happen. Hes not even that popular to justify a game(where that came from). As someone already stated, a fan just asked and he just answered. Like lol every fan should ask if theres gonna be a [insert the name of a Sonic character] solo game. Next time I will be there and gonna ask if theres gonna be an Omega solo game because the character has fans.

Anywho, nope. Not gonna happen...they just answer that way so fans won't be terribly dissapointed. After all, hearing this from them is not an encouraging thing.

Gotta agree here. It's so unlikely to happen , credit to Aaron and the panel though they killed all those fans with kindness. I think they were just trying not to give any disappointing answers to anyone. 

3 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Gotta agree here. It's so unlikely to happen , credit to Aaron and the panel though they killed all those fans with kindness. I think they were just trying not to give any disappointing answers to anyone. 

Aside from Adventure 3 though, no holds barred there

• Chuckle 1

Last time I checked they pretty much do whatever the heck they want over at Sonic Team.
Just because they acknowledge fans may want a game starring Silver, doesn't mean they'll ever do it. It's like when they address their own criticisms and then do nothing about it. 

1 hour ago, A person, that exists said:

No, god, please no.

Not another edgy recolor game.

Silver is as doofus with pot leaf on his head. There are chao edgier than him.

Also I'm starting to really hate word "edgy". It's like comparison to Hitler, automatic discussion killer.

38 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Silver is as doofus with pot leaf on his head. There are chao edgier than him.

Also I'm starting to really hate word "edgy". It's like comparison to Hitler, automatic discussion killer.

Maple leaf

• Thumbs Up 1