Awoo.

Cancelled Sonic The Hedgehog Cartoon Discovered

Badnik Mechanic

According to a LinkedIn profile for TV writer Grant Moran (whose credits include Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures and Batman), a new Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon was in the works between the months of May and October 2007, some 3 years after Sonic X concluded.

We contacted Mr Moran, who was kind enough to provide a few more details about the TV series which ultimately failed to get green-lit. Simply entitled ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’, it was initially commissioned by Sega through entertainment company Phuuz Entertainment.

sonic-cartoon-895x375.png

He couldn't provide any other details due to legal concerns, but there we go, there was a cartoon in the works after Sonic X which wasn't Boom.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2018/03/cancelled-2007-sonic-the-hedgehog-cartoon-details-surface/

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 2

It at least helps to explain the gap between X and Boom.

Sega has always been keen on keeping Sonic in the limelight, and it makes sense that there was a push to get a series green-lit between that time-span.

I feel like something good could have came from this going by the guy's credits. That's unfortunate.

• Thumbs Up 5

Would like to point out, at around 2007, lots of cartoons were starting to move into that very dodgy CG, so if this had come to light, it may not have been traditional 2D animation but that very dodgy late 2000's CG tech.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Way Past Cool 2

I mean, after the success of Sonic X it makes sense Sega would have tried to keep Sonic on television. Without more details though, it's hard to get a figure on what direction the series could have gone.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

One of the things that keeps me around is the discovery of things like this, SegaSonic Bros, and Max the Parrot. Could this unmaterialized series be Sonic’s equivalent to TMNT 2001, TransTech, and Digimon Force 3 (A western-animated Digimon series)? 

Thing is guys.

This person wouldn't be the only guy who worked on this. Someone else out there likely had something to do with it, there's probably concept art somewhere, and since it's been 10 years, a lot of people have probably shared it via online CV's.

The additional details are likely out there somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

it's at times like this where i want to go to the alternate dimension where this show was made. could've been neat.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, SaberX said:

I wonder what type of cartoon they were thinking. What was the fashion at that time? Comedy adventure or serious tone cartoons?

More serious stuff seemed to be in vogue, like Avatar and Ben 10. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Given the track record of the shows, there’s a good chance this wouldn’t have been canon to the games huh?

There's a 100% chance.

So I guess this means a new cartoon may come soon if Boom is really dead? Good (likely) news. I still think that they are testing the waters with Mania Adventures for a classic cartoon, but for now it's just a way to promote Mania Plus.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

So I guess this means a new cartoon may come soon if Boom is really dead? Good (likely) news. I still think that they are testing the waters with Mania Adventures for a classic cartoon, but for now it's just a way to promote Mania Plus.

2007, not 2017. This was off the heels of Sonic X (although likely unrelated).

• Nice Smile 1

I wonder what kind of show could we get.

On one side, the show was being made during the awful 2Edgy days if the franchise, but on the other side, the writer choice was clearly for a comedy show.

Still would be interesting to see what would come of it.

12 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

2007, not 2017. This was off the heels of Sonic X (although likely unrelated).

I know, I mean, they wanted to try a new cartoon very soon after Sonic X but it was scrapped, so it increases the chances of a new cartoon soon right now. Weird logic, I know.

35 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

I know, I mean, they wanted to try a new cartoon very soon after Sonic X but it was scrapped, so it increases the chances of a new cartoon soon right now. 

Sonic Mania Adventures.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Sonic Mania Adventures.

It's not an actual cartoon series, it's a very short webseries that promotes Mania Plus. Same thing they did with the 4 Forces comics. I do hope they make more of the former though.

This piece of info is intriguing as it could explain the gap between X and Boom. Strangely, this could give hope that in a few years SEGA could want to try again with another Sonic cartoon. Now, it makes me wonder why SEGA canceled the show. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

5 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

I wonder what kind of show could we get.

On one side, the show was being made during the awful 2Edgy days if the franchise, but on the other side, the writer choice was clearly for a comedy show.

Still would be interesting to see what would come of it.

Well, except B:TAS. Still would have been nicely balanced in the end. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A 2D animated American Sonic show based on Modern Sonic was something I always wondered about.

I say "wonder" because I'd watch a Sonic cartoon no matter what it was or who made it. If it sucks I get the benefit of complaining about it on the internet.

• Fist Bump 1

15 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Would like to point out, at around 2007, lots of cartoons were starting to move into that very dodgy CG, so if this had come to light, it may not have been traditional 2D animation but that very dodgy late 2000's CG tech.

Makes me expect it to be pretty similar to Boom, in the sense of being a comedy driven CGI animation with some actiony scenes here and there. If that's the case, I wonder if there was any recycled ideas that made its way into Boom.

• Nice Smile 1

43 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Makes me expect it to be pretty similar to Boom, in the sense of being a comedy driven CGI animation with some actiony scenes here and there. If that's the case, I wonder if there was any recycled ideas that made its way into Boom.

Intriguing...

Were this and Synergy the things that were  MacGuyver’d together into Boom, with each having effects on the other? 

30 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Intriguing...

Were this and Synergy the things that were  MacGuyver’d together into Boom, with each having effects on the other? 

I mean, it's just a guess -- one that doesn't really have any evidence to support it other than it's a Sonic cartoon and it coming out in a time where 3D animations for series were starting to gain ground. For all we know, it was a much  more serious-toned animation in the same aspect of a super hero action series that was also 2D.

However, depending if there were some '07 Sonic Series team-members that made their way to Boom and/or if the Boom team asked to see some of the 07 scripts, it's certainly possible some ideas here and there made its way into Boom -- if warped and adapted enough to fit Boom. It's certainly not unheard of for media to do that.

Sadly, we'll never know, unless there's like an NDA timelimit or if Sonic Team themselves decide to talk about it, which is unlikely.

Shame, behind the scenes stuff is pretty interesting, especially with animation and games.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Does anyone find it weird that the cancelled 2007 sonic cartoon and Sonic synergy begin development in 2007?, around that time a guy pitch a Sonic cartoon to sega....could this cartoon be based on synergy?...let me know if anyone can find any info on the cartoon

• Fist Bump 1