Awoo.

Character and Circuit Discussion for Team Sonic Racing 🏁

jgcatindig

So,  we already know of the Sonic-only racer game revealed at sxsw this year. Any bets for circuits or characters and maybe... why? 

My Bets will be:

Character:

Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Amy

Shadow

Rouge

Silver

Espio

Vector

Charmy

Blaze

Dr Eggman

Mighty

Ray

Heavy Rider

Heavy Blaster

Circuits:

Any 3 Sonic CD levels,  where Lap 1 is Present,  Lap 2 is Past,  Lap 3 is Bad Future,  appearing as Good Future when finished.(Will prefer Palmtree Panic,  Tidal Tempest, and Metallic Madness)

Studiopolis

Lava Reef

Metropolis(S2 version) 

Capital City

Sky Sanctuary

Final Judgement A&B

Sweet Mountain

Dragon Road/Chun-nan

Apotos Day & Night

City Escape

Night Babylon

Gameplay:

Ten players max participate at any given Race.  All players have a Gauge,  similar to the one found in Sonic Battle,  that when filled up,  can unleash their All-Star at will. The Gauge can be filled using Rings,  getting hit by weapons, or passing opponents(more impressive passes give better Gauge value) , or Items that give Gauge charge. 

Arcade/Career Mode:

Can play in Easy,  Amateur,  Medium,  Hard, Veteran. Random opponents every Tournament(Career) or Race(Arcade). Includes an option to customize opponents & randomize a select number of slots.  All characters not listed in DLC are accessible there. Purchases for DLC are only optional(to get it earlier) 

Competitive:

Finishing higher(1st-5th)  gives more points, allowing you to rank up and have more playable racers. You can only pick one racer when you play the first time,  other racers having to be bought via in-game currency.  And absolutely no EA bullshit(aka paywalls blocking characters).Placing 6th/7th awards no points, while placing too low (8th to 10th) subtracts points,  causing a demotion.

DLC:

Nack

Bean

Bark

Sticks

Tikal

Sally

NIGHTS

Joe Musashi

Streets of Rage Circuit

Comemorative Circuit(A circuit filled with Sonic material over the years) , similar to the SASRT exclusive circuit. 

Edited by jgcatindig
Additional details/update

That idea for a Sonic CD track is fantastic; a shame it'd almost certainly be too much work to ever actually happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

The roster is a bit messed up, I mean there are few characters, plus Sally as DLC? Tangle is more likely as she was featured on the picture of Women's international day by Aaron.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

That idea for a Sonic CD track is fantastic; a shame it'd almost certainly be too much work to ever actually happen.

Maybe the Time Zones will be different variations of the circuit?  If not,  maybe they will be assigned a specified Time (Palmtree Panic in Present, Tidal Tempest in Past,  etc) 

2 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

The roster is a bit messed up, I mean there are few characters, plus Sally as DLC? Tangle is more likely as she was featured on the picture of Women's international day by Aaron.

Any more suggestions? I am open. ?

And one more thing.  Online races gives currency to buy additional racers,  but with the option to pay in cash. 

As for alternative versions of the characters, like the Classic Versions and Boom Versions,  maybe there will be an option to include them as sorta skins,  maybe also replacing their karts. 

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

Well,  they pulled that gimmick in some tracks in Transformed,  Sky Sanctuary, Seaside Hill,  Rouge's Landing,  and the All Stars Track. 

1 hour ago, SaberX said:

Seriously, why the heck people is so obssessed with Sally? Shes a comic character from Sonic archie comics, she has nothing to do with games.

Gee at that point its better just put a bunch of nonsense and weird characters to the list. Like, why stop there? Lets put Elise, Tommy the Turtle , Chris or even Fiona as DLC characters.

Neither did Sticks, but then... 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Sticks can be an exception because she was playable once in SBSC. But since when Sally was ever playable? Like, where did this ever become a thing?

Exactly, like she's only ever made a cameo in Sonic Spinball and it was brief.

Also Sticks was playable in Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

1 hour ago, SaberX said:

Seriously, why the heck people is so obssessed with Sally?

Well, she is most popular non-games Sonic character. (That's not excuse, just explanation)

I'm surprised no one mentioned Metal Sonic. He was in previous 2 racing games.

• Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, SaberX said:

Sticks can be an exception because she was playable once in SBSC. But since when Sally was ever playable? Like, where did this ever become a thing?

She was going to be playable in X-Treme.

7 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

'm surprised no one mentioned Metal Sonic. He was in previous 2 racing games.

Oh yeah. Forgot about him. And maybe add Omega too?

I think the most realistic cast we can expect would look something like this

Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Amy

Eggman

Shadow

Rouge

Espio

Vector

Cream

Big* big maybe on Big.

Metal Sonic

Blaze

Silver

Jet

Wave

Sticks

Classic Sonic

And maybe a guest character like Arle from Puyo Puyo or Ai Ai or something.

This isn’t my ideal roster, I’d love to have forgotten or obscure characters like Mighty, Bark, Fang, Emerl, Chaos, Tikal, and Gamma thrown in. Heck it’d be awesome if they had Gamma’s brothers in there as recolors like the different color Yoshi’s in Mario Kart 8. Or have an Egg Pawn or Egg Robo as a racer. I want my guy Storm to be a racer. I just don’t see it happening. At best these guys might get a little cameo here and there. I’m sure the less popular characters will show up in some form, just not playable. Like Charmy I’m sure will be relegated to guy who waves the flag at the start of the race. I just know it. 

A Sonic only racer is super appealing to me. There’s so much potential there. But if Sonic Team oversees things, I don’t think we’ll get cool additions like that. That said I’m still really excited for this. Sumo is great and I can’t help but feel a glimmer of hope deep within me for this game. If nothing else I know the game will be tons of fun to play. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

So, here are my bets.

The characters that definitely WILL make an appearance: 

• Sonic
  • Tails
  • Knuckles
  • Amy
  • Shadow 
  • Rouge
  • Vector
  • Espio
  • Charmy
  • Eggman
  • Infinite
  • Omega

Characters that could possibly appear:

• Cream
  • Blaze
  • Jet
  • Wave
  • Storm
  • Silver
  • Marine
  • Gamma
  • Emerl
  • Johnny
  • Eggman Nega
  • Metal Sonic
  • Tikal
  • Chaos
  • Zavok 

Tracks:

• Green Hill (Of course, because Sega just loves it to no end)
  • Chemical Plant
  • Death Egg
  • Speed Highway
  • City Escape
  • Grand Metropolis
  • Lethal Highway
  • Sky Babylon
  • Kingdom Valley
  • Dinosaur Jungle
  • EggmanLand
  • Camelot Kingdom
  • Planet Wisp
  • Lost Hex
  • Imperial Tower/Null Space

Also, I'm pretty sure that there's going to be a Riders-type Speed, Flight and Power gimmick. Like, a Speed character drives a racecar, a Flight character drives some hover vehicle, and a Power character drives a monster truck.

Also, I hope that we will get a slightly more edgy feel to it, as opposed to Mario Kart. Not Mad Max levels of dark, but at least have some explosions and cool visuals.

And, I hope, there will be character interactions. That would be pretty awesome.

• Nice Smile 1

I'm not gonna count out Wreck it Ralph being playable as Sonic and Ralph both have a film and a racer coming in the same year again just like they did in 2012.

6 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

Like Charmy I’m sure will be relegated to guy who waves the flag at the start of the race. I just know it. 

There's a part of me that feels like he might have more of a chance than I originally thought considering his appearance in Forces and Speed Battle but not a ton. How they handle the less popular crowd tends to fluctuate depending on, what I assume, are random mood swings.

It could be him or Cream waving the flag considering she's been played up a lot less recently. 

Hopefully, it'll just be Omochao doing that.

• Thumbs Up 2

53 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

There's a part of me that feels like he might have more of a chance than I originally thought considering his appearance in Forces and Speed Battle but not a ton. How they handle the less popular crowd tends to fluctuate depending on, what I assume, are random mood swings.

It could be him or Cream waving the flag considering she's been played up a lot less recently. 

Hopefully, it'll just be Omochao doing that.

Personally I think they should put all Chaotix into one too-small car. GIve sorta Wacky Races style.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

She was going to be playable in X-Treme.

No she wasn't. She was going to be in Sonic Mars, which was Senn's attempt at a SatAM game before Xtreme happened. But yeah - SatAM game. Divorced from the main games itself. Sticks is Boom granted, but the fact she's been in that and the Sonic Channel comics suggests to me that Sonic Team views her on some kind of borderline between Modern and Boom.

...Sally ain't that. Hell, Sally ain't even in the comics anymore. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I will say I'm fine with this game getting a rendition of Green Hill if they really must, and I appreciate re-using Generations/Forces assets will speed up development (I'd rather they not do Forces' deserty GH though), but I do hope it's not the first track in the game.  Give us something more surprising.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Personally I think they should put all Chaotix into one too-small car. GIve sorta Wacky Races style.

Call it "The Chaotix Band-Wagon".

I'd be alright with that if it meant they all got in.

I'd still prefer they had their own cars. Call Charmy's "The Honey Bee Buggee".

• Chuckle 1

Something I just thought of... 

Maybe Infinite's kart appears like how NiGHTS does in the All Star games,  with his special move being unleashing his true form and creates roadblocks for every racer he is near for a limited time. 

Made of Phantom Ruby of course. 

14 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Call it "The Chaotix Band-Wagon".

I'd be alright with that if it meant they all got in.

I'd still prefer they had their own cars. Call Charmy's "The Honey Bee Buggee".

This ain't Team Fortress in the PC Transformed ryt? 

On 3/30/2018 at 2:02 AM, FFWF said:

They could do something similar to Mario Kart 8's Animal Crossing track but with time periods instead of seasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another thing they could add is at the intro,  the title of the original Sonic title from where the track came from is indicated. 

An example is for instance,  if we're on Sweet Mountain, the intro will display Colors' title logo , if its on Metallic Madness,  it will show Sonic CD's title logo,  and so on and so forth. 

On 3/31/2018 at 9:34 PM, A person, that exists said:

that we will get a slightly more edgy feel to it, as opposed to Mario Kart. Not Mad Max levels of dark, but at least have some explosions and cool visuals.

So... Shadow TH - based circuits?  ?I am up for that. This also puts more behind my idea of CD ciruits and their Bad Futures(and other timelines) 

On 3/31/2018 at 2:10 AM, SaberX said:

Lets put Elise,

Elise in an Elise(Lotus) inspired kart. Hehe. 

And another thing: Powerups. 

They will be now Wisps,  now that this is not the All-Stars series.  Also,  items from the Classic games will share the stage with the Wisps.  Powers are as follows:

Rocket : Boost

Burst : Detonates in an area around you

Cube: Creates roadblocks for surrounding opponents.

Lightning: Homes in on the nearest-placed enemy ahead. 

Lazer: Cuts thru curves super-fast

Asteroid: Shields you from attacks and knocks away any surrounding racers.

Hover: Lifts thru ciruit boundaries and opponents for a short time

Void: Eats thru obstacles for a short time. Obstacles come back after a lap. 

Electric Shield: Attracts rings on the circuit. Dispelled by one hit. 

Fire Shield: Grants a shield for one hit and also allows a dash for a short distance.  Dispelled by one hit. 

Water Shield: Lets you bounce over opponents or terrain. Dispelled by one hit. 

Blue Ring: Avoids the loss of Rings.  Lasts 1 hit. 

Rings: 5/10 Gives gauge charge. 

All Star: Grants the All Star move of whoever picks it up. 

12 hours ago, jgcatindig said:

They will be now Wisps,  now that this is not the All-Stars series.  Also,  items from the Classic games will share the stage with the Wisps. 

If that would be the case the white wisps would be the boost. 

I kind of hate wisps so I hope they won’t be featured to heavily. Maybe one or two of them could be items. Like electric to shock a nearby opponent or bomb that could roll down the track like a bowling ball and explode who it touches.

I do hope to see more Sonic items featured though to better set this game apart from the All Stars racing games. Like elemental shields, invincibility, maybe throw in the eggman moniter as a fake item box or something. I’d kill for an omochao gun item that shoots those crazy richocheting omochao shots. Oof. 

7 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

that would be the case the white wisps would be the boost. 

Maybe the White Wisps give you All-Star charge. (?)

And the All Star item gives whatever remaining charge your gauge needs to unleah the All Star. 

And controls:

PS4:

X Button: Accel

Tri Button: Brake

Square B: Item

O Button: Item 2

Analog Stick/D-Pad: Steering/Flipping(when airborne)

L2: All Star(when full)

Start: Pause

8 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

that would be the case the white wisps would be the boost. 

Maybe the White Wisps give you All-Star charge. (?)

And the All Star item gives whatever remaining charge your gauge needs to unleah the All Star. 

And controls:

PS4:

X Button: Accel

Tri Button: Brake

Square B: Item

O Button: Item 2

Analog Stick/D-Pad: Steering/Flipping(when airborne)

L2: All Star(when full)

Start: Pause

PAGE 2 HYPE!  KEEP THIS GOING GUYS! 

23 hours ago, jgcatindig said:

They will be now Wisps,  now that this is not the All-Stars series.  Also,  items from the Classic games will share the stage with the Wisps.  Powers are as follows:

Burst : Detonates in an area around you

Cube: Creates roadblocks for surrounding opponents.

Lightning: Homes in on the nearest-placed enemy ahead. 

Lazer: Cuts thru curves super-fast

Asteroid: Shields you from attacks and knocks away any surrounding racers.

Hover: Lifts thru ciruit boundaries and opponents for a short time

Void: Eats thru obstacles for a short time. Obstacles come back after a lap. 

Electric Shield: Attracts rings on the circuit. Dispelled by one hit. 

Fire Shield: Grants a shield for one hit and also allows a dash for a short distance.  Dispelled by one hit. 

Water Shield: Lets you bounce over opponents or terrain. Dispelled by one hit. 

Blue Ring: Avoids the loss of Rings.  Lasts 1 hit. 

Rings: 5/10 Gives gauge charge. 

All Star: Grants the All Star move of whoever picks it up. 

Quake: Hits all enemies in surrounding radius, launching them and making them spin out. 

Frenzy: Knocks away everything in your path. 

Rhythm: Opens up exclusive shortcuts. Also increases the value of a speed booster.

Bomb: Roll ahead and squish everything in your way before exploding.

Spikes: Leaves behind spike traps that cause foes to spin out. 

Eagle: Hovers over the field at a higher, uncontrollable speed.

Baby Wisps: Increase the duration of your next Wisp. 

Maybe also a brand new breed or two of Wisp introduced for the game? Or a token Adventure-series item to fanservice that era?