Awoo.

Character and Circuit Discussion for Team Sonic Racing 🏁

jgcatindig

A lot of people think Cream would be suitable for Silver and Blaze’s team, but wouldn’t Marine make more sense? The poor character was barely given a chance to shine, and Marine became Blaze’s sidekick anyways. I just think it’s strange to say Cream would be on Team Dimension/Soul, when Marine would be a better match.

If Cream were playable, she would have been on Amy’s team, why would Cream betray her best friend and a bunch of Chao, just to race alongside a friend she barely knows from another dimension?

Even Sticks the Badger would make more sense on Silver and Blaze’s team, it would really suit the name of Team Dimension if each character was from a separate dimension/timeline from Sonic’s world in the present. Something could have happened to randomly suck Blaze, Silver, and Sticks from their dimensions, and they decide to work together to find a way to get back to their respective homes.

I've been thinking about the team compositions again and I really do feel like Team Rose is kind of a wasted opportunity. I know chaos are popular and Big is uniquely beloved (way to tie in with Amy there, lol) but I noticed a theme with Team Sonic and Team Dark that could have been reflected with Amy and a prime opportunity to bring Sticks over to the main series beyond just the Sonic Channel comics. That theme is none other than a speed character accompanied by their (supposedly) closest friends. With Sonic you have Tails and (arguably) Knuckles, while with Shadow you have Rouge and Omega who we know that Shadow perceives as his friends in his own distinct way. Following this trend you could have had Amy with her two best friends, Cream and Sticks.

Even narratively I could see Sticks working since she has been shown to be competitive, capable of working as part of team, and her whole paranoia shtick would result in her competing to prove to everyone that there is some nefarious ploy at work. Then between Sticks and Cream I could see either of them being either technique or power. For Cream being a technique racer would primarily be a parallel  to Tails which she serves as any way, but being a power character would be a nice in joke due to the devastation that Cheese brings while also presenting it as she just has a big heavy cart to keep her safe while she races. With Sticks, a technique character works since the primary ability is being able to drive off road without penalty which fits her wild child side, but she could also work as a power character due to her needing a cart to fend off the other racers who she is sure are going to out to get her.

All in all, I really do feel like a team composition of Amy, Cream, and Sticks would have worked better for Team Rose as it really would have tied the team to Amy. Oh well, what can I really do about it, this franchise is plagued with wasted opportunities.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

Yeah I would have loved to see Amy interact with her best friends Cream and Sticks, they would have had a more fitting presence than... Omochao, duh. I still think Sticks makes more sense in a Team with Silver and Blaze, because she can be a Power member.

Well, even if they are not playable, I still hope there are some cameos in the tracks. This will be interesting (if it happens).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Sticks is perhaps the worst characters to ever grace the series. "Lol so random paranoid" humour is painful, and Sticks has the most annoying voice to top it all off. I'll gladly take Omochao over her. Boom is dead, so please let Sticks die with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Sticks is perhaps the worst characters to ever grace the series. "Lol so random paranoid" humour is the worst, and Sticks has the most annoying voice to top it all off. I'll gladly take Omochao over her. Boom is dead, so please let Sticks die with it.

She's already in the main series in terms of Spin offs. She's around for better or worse, so her inclusion isn't out of the question.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

She's already in the main series in terms of Spin offs. She's around for better or worse, so her inclusion isn't out of the question.

And it's most regrettable...

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

And it's most regrettable...

*shrug* You can safely ignore her.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, not necessarily in the main games in spin-offs. She was in Mario and Sonic Rio, but Chronicles got a bit of level in Mario and Sonic Winter. Didn't mean it survived beyond that. 

The interesting thing will be seeing if Sticks sticks around now that Boom isn't being promoted at all, and may in fact be dead. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

6 hours ago, SpongicX said:

A lot of people think Cream would be suitable for Silver and Blaze’s team, but wouldn’t Marine make more sense? The poor character was barely given a chance to shine, and Marine became Blaze’s sidekick anyways. I just think it’s strange to say Cream would be on Team Dimension/Soul, when Marine would be a better match.

If Cream were playable, she would have been on Amy’s team, why would Cream betray her best friend and a bunch of Chao, just to race alongside a friend she barely knows from another dimension?

Even Sticks the Badger would make more sense on Silver and Blaze’s team, it would really suit the name of Team Dimension if each character was from a separate dimension/timeline from Sonic’s world in the present. Something could have happened to randomly suck Blaze, Silver, and Sticks from their dimensions, and they decide to work together to find a way to get back to their respective homes.

Marine wouldn't make more sense because she's essentially a one-shot character. "Betray" is a strong word when this is just a race and groupings can be justified by the story if really necessary. The reason I could see Cream end up with Blaze and Silver is because they have no particular link to any other recurring tertiary character, but she and Blaze at least formed some sort of friendship. Either way, they're unlikely to be in the game if DLC isn't a thing.

That said, if they do actually end up as DLC, it wouldn't have to be as part of a team. They'd likely just be extra characters, one of each category.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Sticks is perhaps the worst characters to ever grace the series. "Lol so random paranoid" humour is painful, and Sticks has the most annoying voice to top it all off. I'll gladly take Omochao over her. Boom is dead, so please let Sticks die with it.

Ehh, I don't really like these superficial opinions when they don't have a clue about who the character is. But if you really think Sticks is just a "lol so random paranoid" character I don't blame you for hating her, I would do the same if that was the character.

At this point I'm gonna pray that she is still in the series, because I'm a big fan and I'd be curious to see the reaction if she stays.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love Marine but hoping for her to be in this is a waste of time. I think a lot of people that do like her have given up on her returning, so Cream makes more sense with Silver and Blaze because she has more popularity and prominence in the series. With a barebones 15 character roster, it just doesn't make sense to put in a rare character like Marine over a mainstay like Cream. Though I doubt we will see either since SEGA and Sonic Team seem allergic to female representation lately. Amy and Rouge will probably be it. 

Sticks would've been epic for Team Rose, and far better than this Chao BS, but the game likely started development before SEGA was sure they were going to axe Boom, so I do wonder if she'll cross over to the modern verse going forward now that there's no other place to put Sticks. Sonic Channel sure seems to treat her like another member of the current cast, what with wallpapers every year as well as her own profile and comic. Only time will tell if she sees any appearances outside of spin-offs and throwaway mobile titles. 

• Thumbs Up 4

When it comes to Boom, the biggest loss will and always shall be their version of Tails. I'll miss Fun, low-self esteem, nerdy Tails that loved dancing and playing weird games with his friends. Kind of makes it all the more desirable after Forces, and I guess, even after some of the lines he has here in this game. 

Look at this. Ain't it adorable the way he's trying to scratch those fleas away. 

Tails Has Fleas.png

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Flame Lance said:

I love Marine but hoping for her to be in this is a waste of time. I think a lot of people that do like her have given up on her returning, so Cream makes more sense with Silver and Blaze because she has more popularity and prominence in the series. With a barebones 15 character roster, it just doesn't make sense to put in a rare character like Marine over a mainstay like Cream. Though I doubt we will see either since SEGA and Sonic Team seem allergic to female representation lately. Amy and Rouge will probably be it. 

Sticks would've been epic for Team Rose, and far better than this Chao BS, but the game likely started development before SEGA was sure they were going to axe Boom, so I do wonder if she'll cross over to the modern verse going forward now that there's no other place to put Sticks. Sonic Channel sure seems to treat her like another member of the current cast, what with wallpapers every year as well as her own profile and comic. Only time will tell if she sees any appearances outside of spin-offs and throwaway mobile titles. 

Blaze might appear due to sheer demand, even if she gets butchered into a joke character out of spite. 

Now that I think about it...that poll on twitter some time ago... the one about the favorite feature in Sonic games.

What if it was made to decide Team Rose's third member?

Maybe they were not sure who would have been better between Chao and the Avatar from Forces, and at the end Chao won and they made the chao racers.

It still doesn't explain why they decided to replace Cream though, maybe she's actually with Silver and Blaze, or they wanted to cater exclusively to the male audience and decided to remove her because she's too girly... who knows, that may be the reason why they promoted Rouge more than Amy so far (because Rouge is more "badass" and darker), and Team Dark more than Team Rose. If that's the case, it would be a stupid marketing choice though, since kart racers are usually supposed to be party games for everyone.

By the way, aside of the title of the game being "Team Sonic Racing" I don't recall they ever mentioned the teams' actual names so far, even when they announced Team Rose, they just listed the characters, without mentioning the name of the team... so it's possible that the teams are actually custom and that this one is not even "Team Rose", just 3 characters that you can team together if you want. If this is true, it would allow single characters without a team to be added in the game (maybe as DLC or updates, or secret unlockables).

I know they said that there are only 15 characters, but secret unlockables may still be a thing, and I'm sure DLCs wouldn't count in the 15 characters limit.

About the tracks being too simple, I suppose this game is going to have extremely simple track design because while you are racing, you must also focus on team strategy with sharing items and help your teammates in order to get more points; having too much complex tracks would make it hard for casual gamers to manage the team stuff and drive at the same time.

• Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, Iko said:

Now that I think about it...that poll on twitter some time ago... the one about the favorite feature in Sonic games.

What if it was made to decide Team Rose's third member?

Maybe they were not sure who would have been better between Chao and the Avatar from Forces, and at the end Chao won and they made the chao racers.

It still doesn't explain why they decided to replace Cream though, maybe she's actually with Silver and Blaze, or they wanted to cater exclusively to the male audience and decided to remove her because she's too girly... who knows, that may be the reason why they promoted Rouge more than Amy so far (because Rouge is more "badass" and darker), and Team Dark more than Team Rose. If that's the case, it would be a stupid marketing choice though, since kart racers are usually supposed to be party games for everyone.

By the way, aside of the title of the game being "Team Sonic Racing" I don't recall they ever mentioned the teams' actual names so far, even when they announced Team Rose, they just listed the characters, without mentioning the name of the team... so it's possible that the teams are actually custom and that this one is not even "Team Rose", just 3 characters that you can team together if you want. If this is true, it would allow single characters without a team to be added in the game (maybe as DLC or updates, or secret unlockables).

I know they said that there are only 15 characters, but secret unlockables may still be a thing, and I'm sure DLCs wouldn't count in the 15 characters limit.

About the tracks being too simple, I suppose this game is going to have extremely simple track design because while you are racing, you must also focus on team strategy with sharing items and help your teammates in order to get more points; having too much complex tracks would make it hard for casual gamers to manage the team stuff and drive at the same time.

So this actually means Blaze has more of a chance? Oh, and if they really want to market this game more towards being male audiences, the whole Chaotix, or Tikal, might be Silver & Blaze’s third wheel. 

It's worth pointing out that even Sticks has a good fanbase, so popular demand may bring her in as well. I remember they asked about her coming back even at the March panel.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

5 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

I so hope that is true. I fervently hope. I'd want the actual Team Rose to be Amy-Cream-Blaze. 

They mentioned the team name during the birthday event, what was announced already is indeed team Rose. 

• Too Many Rings 1

Concerns over female representation, “characters who haven’t been playable in a long time”... 

What if we ended up getting Maria Robotnik and Shade?

2 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Concerns over female representation, “characters who haven’t been playable in a long time”... 

What if we ended up getting Maria Robotnik and Shade?

Maria is dead and Shade is in Ken Penders hell, presumably. That and I'd sooner they dig up someone like Honey before running to making Maria playable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Maria is dead and Shade is in Ken Penders hell, presumably. That and I'd sooner they dig up someone like Honey before running to making Maria playable. 

Maria could be revived by the Phantom Ruby, the Penders issues seem to have been resolved. 

4 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Maria could be revived by the Phantom Ruby, the Penders issues seem to have been resolved. 

They've been resolved in that Ken for all intents and purposes got his way and pretty much helped kill the Archie comics. And I doubt SEGA would like to tempt fate by going back to the stuff he previously went after, such as Chronicles. 

Maria being randomly revived by the Phantom Ruby would defeat the purpose of Shadow's early character arc and essentially turns the Phantom Ruby into a god-mod device that can do anything (moreso than it already is, anyway). Unless you mean making a Maria illusion, but even that would have some repercussion. Even then, outside of plugging a second controller into ShTH, she's never been playable in the first place, so it's a bizarre pick. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maria hasn't even been mentioned by Shadow since he put the past behind him back in 2005. If anything I can commend them on consistency concerning that at the very least.

Though, seeing Shadow's eyes bug out and him crashing into a tree when Maria rolls up beside him on the road and waves, "Hey Shadow! I got better!" sounds like it'd be magical.

• Chuckle 7