Jump to content
jgcatindig

Character and Circuit Discussion for Team Sonic Racing ūüŹĀ

Recommended Posts

On 8/2/2018 at 10:54 AM, VEDJ-F said:

In a game that seems to emphasise team banter, someone like Omochao is an interesting choice in terms of how his usual dialogue can bounce off other character as full-blown interaction. 

I guess. I still feel like this could've been a big blowout and they're limiting themselves.

On 8/2/2018 at 11:36 AM, Drifting Jack said:

It totally fits this game, as Omochao is usually annoying, and in TSR everyone has annoying lines.

I haven't seen much of the game outside of the first trailer, but that's a good way of looking at it. :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, like I said when it was revealed, I think the Omochao and the other chao in a car together idea is a really great one.

The only issue really is just how small the roster is. It'd be a much cooler thing if this worry about the collective main and secondary cast getting in wasn't hanging over us. 

I'm still technically waiting for the new Team Chaotix to be revealed as Vector, Silver, and Blaze or something like that, personally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm still technically waiting for the new Team Chaotix to be revealed as Vector, Silver, and Blaze or something like that, personally. 

Y'know...I actually like Espio and Charmy but I can't say I'd lose sleep over that lineup.

Mostly because I'm still holding out for Team Chaotix all awkwardly cramped into Vector's car. Silver and Blaze could be "new recruits" (not intentionally but they get dragged into their mess somehow, shenanigans ensue etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Celestia said:

Y'know...I actually like Espio and Charmy but I can't say I'd lose sleep over that lineup.

Mostly because I'm still holding out for Team Chaotix all awkwardly cramped into Vector's car. Silver and Blaze could be "new recruits" (not intentionally but they get dragged into their mess somehow, shenanigans ensue etc.)

I've been waiting for so long for a chance to play as the Modern Chaotix individually in a 3D game on my end. It's such a silly goal to have but it's been so elusive, even when it comes to the spin-offs. Espio and Charmy just aren't allowed to be as active as their boss. That's mostly why it's hard for me to see Silver and Blaze not making the cut, regardless of how the teams usually are set up. Even if Silver and Blaze don't make it, I'd still think it'd be a matter of time before DLC put them in. 

The two of them having shenanigans with Vector doesn't sound as funny as them having shenanigans with the entire Chaotix trio either. I really hate this roster number. Despite wanting the whole Chaotix to be there I don't want them at the expense of Silver and Blaze despite anything I may have said about the two of them. It's gonna feel incomplete no matter who gets left out.

Well, maybe except for Cream, admittedly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also there's the fact that having three characters to one car greatly limits the amount of interaction each member could potentially have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the Chaotix will be split up, they are a perfect fit for this game, the most consistent team of the series and even Espio and Charmy have had more prominence lately, over the likes of Blaze and Cream. Furthermore, a Silver/Blaze/Vector match-up would make zero sense unless the devs want to rip off Crash Nitro Kart some more and make them the brainwashed team of antagonists.

With recent information, I've actually become more doubtful on the Eggman team, for reasons such as:

- The story basically being Sonic & Co being kidnapped and forced to race to escape, by some mysterious force that is obviously connected to final boss Eggman.

- Egg Pawns being disregarded since the game's reveal, obviously serving as filler in story mode races.

- With Metal Sonic and Egg Pawn as partners, Eggman would essentially be talking to himself during races, unless they bring in Orbot and Cubot.

At this point I think it's 50-50 on Eggman or something Silver making up the final team. Hopefully we'll get our next reveal by Gamescom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A villain team is definitely happening, because Eggman and Metal are obviously playable, third member could be Infinite or Zavok. Unless there is no fifth team and Eggman and Metal Sonic are playable individually, in that case Silver could be a bonus character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know. Who knows if there even is a villain "team". It might just be the first four hero teams expected to compete in the story and then Eggman crashes it with his gaggle of Egg Pawns or something. Then Metal Sonic would end up being DLC like he was for the first two All-Stars games. That way the Chaotix could make up the last official team and Silver and Blaze could take up the two remaining spots next to Eggman as extras. Or if they're daring enough they could have them be on Eggman's team somehow. Now that sounds like it'd be funny.

The only reason that idea just hit me was because I just remembered how Metal Sonic is always DLC for these games for some reason. It might not be the same for this one though since it's a purely Sonic focused roster this time but it's an idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if it’s Espio/Charmy (as one character), Cream, and CLASSIC Eggman as the last team. Would cover all the missing characters and follow on Mania Plus’s ending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LukA8 said:

I don't think the Chaotix will be split up, they are a perfect fit for this game, the most consistent team of the series and even Espio and Charmy have had more prominence lately, over the likes of Blaze and Cream. Furthermore, a Silver/Blaze/Vector match-up would make zero sense unless the devs want to rip off Crash Nitro Kart some more and make them the brainwashed team of antagonists.

With recent information, I've actually become more doubtful on the Eggman team, for reasons such as:

- The story basically being Sonic & Co being kidnapped and forced to race to escape, by some mysterious force that is obviously connected to final boss Eggman.

- Egg Pawns being disregarded since the game's reveal, obviously serving as filler in story mode races.

- With Metal Sonic and Egg Pawn as partners, Eggman would essentially be talking to himself during races, unless they bring in Orbot and Cubot.

At this point I think it's 50-50 on Eggman or something Silver making up the final team. Hopefully we'll get our next reveal by Gamescom.

Big, another Forces no-show, and Omochao who hasn’t been seen since Runners (this game being his second-ever playable role), bring some hope of more non-Forces characters getting in.  And of course, the story could explain any awkward team-ups. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Eggman was an unlockable character in Transformed too if you remember.

I believe we can expect Team Chaotix. Those 3 are the pretty well estabilished as a team, and they could deliver funny interactions.

I strongly believe the villains team is going to be unlockable and that in the end the roster will be of 18 characters. So Eggman,  Metal Sonic  and possibly Tails Doll  (as a Sonic R throwback and a welcome obscure comeback) 

as for the 5th team It is not an easy guess

My idea is team Babylon, the only real estabilished team they have left, with whom they could write funny dialogues. This way they can leave very popular characters like Silver and Blaze as cash grab DLC.

I can be wrong, but in the end I can see something like this happening:

4th team: Team Chaotix

Espio (speed)  Charmy (tech)  Vector (power)

 

5th team: Team Babylon

Jet (speed)  Wave (tech)  Storm (power)

 

6th team: Team Eggman (secret unlockable)

Metal Sonic (speed)  Tails Doll (tech)  Eggman (power)

DLC ideas

Classic Sonic (speed) : some sort of pre order or day one bonus dlc

 

DLC

Team Dimensions

Silver (speed)  Sticks (tech)  Blaze (power)

 

Team Villains

Infinite (speed) Chaos (tech) Zavok (power)

 

TEAM SEGA #1

Ryo Hazuki (speed), NiGHTS (tech), Bayonetta (power)

TEAM SEGA #2

Amigo (speed),  Morgana (tech), BD Joe (power)

 

those sega teams are very unlikely happening , but I can dream.

 

when it comes to stages I expect (and I think it was kinda confirmed, but I can be wrong) them to be split in group of three, like Wisp Planet that will include the track already revealed and other two based on Sonic Colors locations. 

 the icy world that has been announced could include a Holoska inspired level, the Frozen Factory casino inspired level from Lost World and possibly something like Chemical Plant covered in snow from Sonic Forces.

Another ‚Äúworld‚ÄĚ could be Angel Island, with a selection of 3 stages that could cover Sonic 3 and Sonic Adventure, like a Mushroom Hill or Lost World from SA

we saw Spogonia in the trailer, and that could deliver something like a ‚Äúworld‚ÄĚ based of big metropolis , so we might expect City Escape and Metropolis from Forces.

something I’d really love to see is an Apotos based track

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DaN said:

 Eggman was an unlockable character in Transformed too if you remember.

I believe we can expect Team Chaotix. Those 3 are the pretty well estabilished as a team, and they could deliver funny interactions.

I strongly believe the villains team is going to be unlockable and that in the end the roster will be of 18 characters. So Eggman,  Metal Sonic  and possibly Tails Doll  (as a Sonic R throwback and a welcome obscure comeback) 

as for the 5th team It is not an easy guess

My idea is team Babylon, the only real estabilished team they have left, with whom they could write funny dialogues. This way they can leave very popular characters like Silver and Blaze as cash grab DLC.

I can be wrong, but in the end I can see something like this happening:

4th team: Team Chaotix

Espio (speed)  Charmy (tech)  Vector (power)

 

5th team: Team Babylon

Jet (speed)  Wave (tech)  Storm (power)

 

6th team: Team Eggman (secret unlockable)

Metal Sonic (speed)  Tails Doll (tech)  Eggman (power)

DLC ideas

Classic Sonic (speed) : some sort of pre order or day one bonus dlc

 

DLC

Team Dimensions

Silver (speed)  Sticks (tech)  Blaze (power)

 

Team Villains

Infinite (speed) Chaos (tech) Zavok (power)

 

TEAM SEGA #1

Ryo Hazuki (speed), NiGHTS (tech), Bayonetta (power)

TEAM SEGA #2

Amigo (speed),  Morgana (tech), BD Joe (power)

 

those sega teams are very unlikely happening , but I can dream.

 

when it comes to stages I expect (and I think it was kinda confirmed, but I can be wrong) them to be split in group of three, like Wisp Planet that will include the track already revealed and other two based on Sonic Colors locations. 

 the icy world that has been announced could include a Holoska inspired level, the Frozen Factory casino inspired level from Lost World and possibly something like Chemical Plant covered in snow from Sonic Forces.

Another ‚Äúworld‚ÄĚ could be Angel Island, with a selection of 3 stages that could cover Sonic 3 and Sonic Adventure, like a Mushroom Hill or Lost World from SA

we saw Spogonia in the trailer, and that could deliver something like a ‚Äúworld‚ÄĚ based of big metropolis , so we might expect City Escape and Metropolis from Forces.

something I’d really love to see is an Apotos based track

My notes:

- Nice stage ideas, but what about brand new zones? Ice Mountain could be one.

- Tails Doll feels like a wasted slot that could go to a better villain like Infinite or Zavok, at least that's what I think.

- Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Sticks is a great fit for Team Dimension, but you got the types wrong, Silver is always tech type, not speed (Runners had weird exceptions, for some reasons), Blaze and Sticks can be either speed or power, but Blaze is usually speed so I'm going with Sticks as power member. Cream would be a tech like Silver, so I doubt she is in this team, her place was on Team Rose as always but this time she got replaced.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DaN said:

 Eggman was an unlockable character in Transformed too if you remember.

I believe we can expect Team Chaotix. Those 3 are the pretty well estabilished as a team, and they could deliver funny interactions.

I strongly believe the villains team is going to be unlockable and that in the end the roster will be of 18 characters. So Eggman,  Metal Sonic  and possibly Tails Doll  (as a Sonic R throwback and a welcome obscure comeback) 

as for the 5th team It is not an easy guess

My idea is team Babylon, the only real estabilished team they have left, with whom they could write funny dialogues. This way they can leave very popular characters like Silver and Blaze as cash grab DLC.

I can be wrong, but in the end I can see something like this happening:

4th team: Team Chaotix

Espio (speed)  Charmy (tech)  Vector (power)

 

5th team: Team Babylon

Jet (speed)  Wave (tech)  Storm (power)

 

6th team: Team Eggman (secret unlockable)

Metal Sonic (speed)  Tails Doll (tech)  Eggman (power)

DLC ideas

Classic Sonic (speed) : some sort of pre order or day one bonus dlc

 

DLC

Team Dimensions

Silver (speed)  Sticks (tech)  Blaze (power)

 

Team Villains

Infinite (speed) Chaos (tech) Zavok (power)

 

TEAM SEGA #1

Ryo Hazuki (speed), NiGHTS (tech), Bayonetta (power)

TEAM SEGA #2

Amigo (speed),  Morgana (tech), BD Joe (power)

 

those sega teams are very unlikely happening , but I can dream.

 

when it comes to stages I expect (and I think it was kinda confirmed, but I can be wrong) them to be split in group of three, like Wisp Planet that will include the track already revealed and other two based on Sonic Colors locations. 

 the icy world that has been announced could include a Holoska inspired level, the Frozen Factory casino inspired level from Lost World and possibly something like Chemical Plant covered in snow from Sonic Forces.

Another ‚Äúworld‚ÄĚ could be Angel Island, with a selection of 3 stages that could cover Sonic 3 and Sonic Adventure, like a Mushroom Hill or Lost World from SA

we saw Spogonia in the trailer, and that could deliver something like a ‚Äúworld‚ÄĚ based of big metropolis , so we might expect City Escape and Metropolis from Forces.

something I’d really love to see is an Apotos based track

Cream could also be a pre-order/day 1 character without a team. Or.. maybe Team her with Tangle and someone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if Ice Mountain is supposed to be a Sonic Advance reference or not, though, if it is, they forgot that in the original Ice Mountain there were a lot of trees and wooden fences.

IM1.png.2878b5a5ff88cdba95824238fec14451.png

Also, there was lava too, so it's not that unlikely.

IM2.png.f04b82dfb00e62547362bbb768a9b945.png

By the way, if it's a Sonic Advance reference I would be happy, it may be just a generic ice level, though some love for the Advance series always makes me happy.

It may also be a similar case to Sherbet land in Mario Kart 64, probably a reference to the Warioland world, but it was transformed into a generic ice track with Mario 64 penguins, and probably the Warioland reference was lost with the remakes of the track in the more recent games (Double Dash also had a Sherbet Land track), in fact now it's not associated with Wario anymore (as far as I know).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this game just goes to show both what kind of cast we're dealing with and where we are right now as fans of the series.

On 8/7/2018 at 12:26 AM, Miragnarok said:

Big, another Forces no-show, and Omochao who hasn’t been seen since Runners (this game being his second-ever playable role), bring some hope of more non-Forces characters getting in.  And of course, the story could explain any awkward team-ups. 

When was Omochao first playable?

On 8/7/2018 at 7:31 AM, Detective Kaito said:

Ice Mountain from Sonic Advance? http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Ice_Mountain_Zone

Oh, the Advance/Handheld games getting some love?

19 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Cream could also be a pre-order/day 1 character without a team. Or.. maybe Team her with Tangle and someone else?

Tangle's not getting in this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I think this game just goes to show both what kind of cast we're dealing with and where we are right now as fans of the series.

When was Omochao first playable?

Oh, the Advance/Handheld games getting some love?

Tangle's not getting in this.

1. Sonic Lost World’s co-op mode

2. Sure. 

3. Maybe as a post-launch character?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

1. Sonic Lost World’s co-op mode

 

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. Wonder if the Sonic makep had something to do with that.

 

27 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

 

3. Maybe as a post-launch character?

Hehehe, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, a thought just occurred to me. What if one of the teams is a Deadly Six team? I'd think it's unlikely but SEGA has this weird way of dropping them in unusual places...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

You know, a thought just occurred to me. What if one of the teams is a Deadly Six team? I'd think it's unlikely but SEGA has this weird way of dropping them in unusual places...

See, back when "Sonic Kart-Racing Game" was the sole thing to go on, that was fully expected to happen--with Zazz, Zor/Zeena, and Zavok being the representatives. Now, it's almost certainly not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I probably phrased that wrong, as the concern I was trying to get across was more a matter of what if one of the remaining teams was a Deadly Six team instead of some of the more popular characters. I mean, I know that Cream is not particularly popular, but she still was not expected to be replaced by the chaos. Looking at it like that and SEGA's questionable track record (mind the pun), I could see the expected villain team turning out to be a Deadly Six team. It's an irrational thought sure, but so is replacing Amy's (supposedly) best friend on Team Rose and that didn't stop them.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just expecting the franchise to have a train wreck year after Mania Plus with the signs that I've been seeing. Not that I want it to happen, but what I've been seeing is leaving me feeling very pessimistic of late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replacing Cream with Chao is not irrational, though. Adventure fans have been asking for the critters to return to the games since Heroes, while Cream is rarely requested (at least relative to other characters). She was also left out as a playable character in the Olympic Games (outside the last handheld one). It makes sense, as she's just not that interesting next to the rest of the cast. Then you look at Omochao, who was actually included in Lego Dimensions and therefore has received a lot more exposure recently.

The Deadly Six meanwhile have no chance as a group. There simply aren't enough character slots to include one-shots like them. Zavok is a possibility because he actually showed up in Forces, but even then I wouldn't count on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Pawn said:

Replacing Cream with Chao is not irrational, though. Adventure fans have been asking for the critters to return to the games since Heroes, while Cream is rarely requested (at least relative to other characters). She was also left out as a playable character in the Olympic Games (outside the last handheld one). It makes sense, as she's just not that interesting next to the rest of the cast. Then you look at Omochao, who was actually included in Lego Dimensions and therefore has received a lot more exposure recently.

The problem is more so that when looking at the Team Rose team name you expect characters that relate to Amy and Cream is one such character whereas the chaos are not. Chaos are more affiliated with Cream and Tikal then Amy who really has no relation with them beyond by proxy through Cream. So while bringing the chaos in may be a rational idea, putting them on Team Rose in place of the character who gives Team Rose any relation to chaos is questionable at best. In it's current state Team Rose is a very disparate group that does not feel like a legitimate team to me. You have Amy who chases Sonic, Big who goes fishing with Froggy, and the chaos who sit around being cute beyond Omochao who harasses with advice. Even as out of place as one could argue Knuckles is with Sonic and Tails being adventuring buddies, at least 2 out of the 3 are known for working as a team and share a common interest. Sure Big was on Team Rose in Heroes, but as Amy was helping both Cream and Big find missing persons the team up made some sense.

Arguably, I could see going with the plot of them being pulled to another world that they can only escape by racing being grounds to justify Amy putting together such a team, but considering chaos show up everywhere anyway and Omochao is an advice giving robot, why would they need Amy's help getting home? I mean we could just assume that they aren't local to the race world, but we could just easily assume that they are. To me, the plot makes just raises even more questions.

38 minutes ago, Pawn said:

The Deadly Six meanwhile have no chance as a group. There simply aren't enough character slots to include one-shots like them. Zavok is a possibility because he actually showed up in Forces, but even then I wouldn't count on it.

I would like to agree with this, but this is SEGA that we are talking about and they seem to enjoy plugging Zavok and Zazz into everything. It would not surprise me if SEGA had three of those limited fifteen spots given to the Zeti. I hope not, but I really have a hard time trusting SEGA sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Pawn said:

Replacing Cream with Chao is not irrational, though. Adventure fans have been asking for the critters to return to the games since Heroes, while Cream is rarely requested (at least relative to other characters). She was also left out as a playable character in the Olympic Games (outside the last handheld one). It makes sense, as she's just not that interesting next to the rest of the cast. Then you look at Omochao, who was actually included in Lego Dimensions and therefore has received a lot more exposure recently.

 

Popularity and/or exposure are not the point though.

This game could've just been a general Kart racing game in the Sonic World for funsies, but in true SEGA/SOnicTeam fashion, they chose to emphasize a team based mechanic to help specialize it compared to other games in the genre. This came hand in hand with essentially tapping back into the Team format previously established in Sonic Heroes.

Cream(and Omega) was specifically created/designed with her role in Team Rose in mind. And while she may not be the most complicated or even fleshed out character in the games, she still has a specific design, way of interacting, and motif(s) to set her apart from most of the cast.  So naturally, when this game's mechanic was showcased, it would be expected that at least she would once again reprise her role on the Team as she [almost] always has.

However, while they did bring back fellow founding member Big for the first time in the games, they instead opted to use Omochao(who has always played a tutorial and/or outside supporting role) and the three generic Chao Types as the collective third/second member instead. While having this troop as a playable character in & of itself is not a bad idea and in fact was indirectly welcomed prior to it's unveiling, having them on what is explicitly meant to be Team Rose in lieu of the much more significant major character was obviously gonna widen some eyes.

Honestly, the only way this specific team up could really get by is by being Team Comic Relief or Team Adventure and it's obvious that that's almost certainly not the case, nevermind that it wouldn't exactly work on those pretenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.