Jump to content
jgcatindig

Character and Circuit Discussion for Team Sonic Racing 🏁

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

They've been resolved in that Ken for all intents and purposes got his way and pretty much helped kill the Archie comics. And I doubt SEGA would like to tempt fate by going back to the stuff he previously went after, such as Chronicles.

According to Ian Flynn, Sega had no problem with Archie using Shade and other Chronicles content after the reboot. They likely consider them Sega property, just not designed by Sonic Team and therefore irrelevant.

I decided to actually look at Runners' designations for the cast so I wanted to make some alterations to my team speculation.

Base Game

Team Sonic: Sonic (S), Tails (T), Knuckles (P)

Team Dark: Shadow (S), Rouge (T), Omega (P)

Team Rose: Amy (S), Chao (T), Big (P)

Team Chaotix: Espio (S), Charmy (T), Vector (P)

Team Easy: Silver (S), Cream (T), Blaze (P)

Bonus Edition/DLC

Team Mech: Metal Sonic (S), Egg Pawn (T), Eggman (P) - Given Metal Sonic's always been DLC in the Sumo games and that Metal was included as part of the Bonus edition with Transformed, it's possible this team could be included in a bonus edition for the title.

Team Wild: Sticks (S), Tikal (T), Nega (P)

Team Babylon: Jet (S), Wave (T), Storm (P)

Team Phantom: Infinite (S), Chaos (T), Zavok (P)

Other characters that could be on Sonic Team's radar due to recent playable inclusion in Runners/Rio/Speed Battle would be Mephiles (Run), Classic Sonic (Run/SB), Werehog (Run), and Zazz (Rio). I'd say the most likely of those would be Classic Sonic, but I don't think he's likely either. I included Team Wild and Babylon, but I'd be surprised if either of them ended up making it. I'd really like to see Phantom just because it'd offer some unconventional options to the roster, but that might be reaching too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I can’t see Cream being playable in the base roster over Eggman, no matter how badly we want Blaze to show up.

About Blaze, the Chaotix could be crammed into one vehicle like the Chao for her sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

About Blaze, the Chaotix could be crammed into one vehicle like the Chao for her sake.

So the Chaotix on a team with... Blaze? Again, I know folks really want her in this, but that doesn't make much sense. At least with the Chao you could say that one of Cream's biggest gimmicks was a Chao. 

Granted I suppose Team Rose in Free Riders didn't make much sense either, but even then. That and we've already seen what is presumably Vector's kart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is assuming Eggman will be playable, but has it occurred to anyone that he could be a final boss or something? Maybe he won’t be playable. It could be interesting to have a boss fight that involves racing to support your teammates and use power ups to take down a giant weaponized vehicle of Eggman's.

In a game called Team Sonic Racing, Eggman wouldn’t make much sense as a character, because he’s horrible at teamwork. He’s incredibly selfish, and is more used to giving orders than listening to others. Eggman only works with others when his life is on the line, after that, it’s back to ordering people around.

In a game full of chattering racers, Eggman wouldn’t get much out of having Metal Sonic as a team mate, like some have suggested. Eggman is used to leaving his robots as piles of scrap after being destroyed, I don’t see him putting his life on the line to save his team mates. Eggman considers his robots as slaves, not team mates. 

Who knows, maybe Eggman won’t be playable? Honestly, I’d be fine with Eggman being just a villain in this game. Eggman is forced into most every game anyways, this gives a chance for other characters to shine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tracker_TD said:

So the Chaotix on a team with... Blaze? Again, I know folks really want her in this, but that doesn't make much sense. At least with the Chao you could say that one of Cream's biggest gimmicks was a Chao. 

Granted I suppose Team Rose in Free Riders didn't make much sense either, but even then. That and we've already seen what is presumably Vector's kart. 

It could be a nod to the Fleetway comics, where they came from another dimension. Or just say it’s a case they’re on. Heck, we might even see Espio and Charmy snubbed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpongicX said:

Everyone is assuming Eggman will be playable, but has it occurred to anyone that he could be a final boss or something? Maybe he won’t be playable. It could be interesting to have a boss fight that involves racing to support your teammates and use power ups to take down a giant weaponized vehicle of Eggman's.

In a game called Team Sonic Racing, Eggman wouldn’t make much sense as a character, because he’s horrible at teamwork. He’s incredibly selfish, and is more used to giving orders than listening to others. Eggman only works with others when his life is on the line, after that, it’s back to ordering people around.

In a game full of chattering racers, Eggman wouldn’t get much out of having Metal Sonic as a team mate, like some have suggested. Eggman is used to leaving his robots as piles of scrap after being destroyed, I don’t see him putting his life on the line to save his team mates. Eggman considers his robots as slaves, not team mates. 

Who knows, maybe Eggman won’t be playable? Honestly, I’d be fine with Eggman being just a villain in this game. Eggman is forced into most every game anyways, this gives a chance for other characters to shine.

Unlocking boss characters in racing games is nothing new. And working with his robots isn't exactly out there given that's exactly what he does with Metal in Sonic CD's race, as well as in S4:E2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

Unlocking boss characters in racing games is nothing new. And working with his robots isn't exactly out there given that's exactly what he does with Metal in Sonic CD's race, as well as in S4:E2.

After sitting on the sides and letting his robots do all the work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpongicX said:

After sitting on the sides and letting his robots do all the work.

...yeah, but he still works with Metal. Hence working with Metal in this game isn't exactly an out-there idea. Especially since they'd already have the models made. 

I mean, do you really expect to see Eggman floating over every single individual badnik? It's an army

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tracker_TD said:

...yeah, but he still works with Metal. Hence working with Metal in this game isn't exactly an out-there idea. Especially since they'd already have the models made. 

But Metal Sonic can’t talk. After Sonic Heroes, he became a mute character. This game involves the characters communicating with each other, Metal Sonic can’t interact with the other racers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

But Metal Sonic can’t talk. After Sonic Heroes, he became a mute character. This game involves the characters communicating with each other, Metal Sonic can’t interact with the other racers.

Given there's already been a million requests for an option to just straight-up mute all of the annoying banter, I don't think him emoting with his usual noises is that much of an issue. That and there's always subtitles if needs-be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The characters talking isn't a game mechanic. It's just there to make it feel as though they're actually characters competing in a race rather then soulless bots.

Metal Sonic IS a soulless bot though. It doesn't matter if he talks or not. When he was playable in the other racers, he didn't have any spoken lines either. Just weird machine garble. I don't see them shying away from including a character because of their manner of speech or their lack of communication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

But Metal Sonic can’t talk. After Sonic Heroes, he became a mute character. This game involves the characters communicating with each other, Metal Sonic can’t interact with the other racers.

Or this game has him go back to talking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm in agreement on "talking" not mattering for Metal Sonic. Characters can interact with each other, and for Metal Sonic, he can just make robot noises while other characters call him out on the fact that he's just Eggman's pawn. Metal Sonic doesn't need to talk to be playable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SpongicX said:

Everyone is assuming Eggman will be playable, but has it occurred to anyone that he could be a final boss or something? Maybe he won’t be playable. It could be interesting to have a boss fight that involves racing to support your teammates and use power ups to take down a giant weaponized vehicle of Eggman's.

In a game called Team Sonic Racing, Eggman wouldn’t make much sense as a character, because he’s horrible at teamwork. He’s incredibly selfish, and is more used to giving orders than listening to others. Eggman only works with others when his life is on the line, after that, it’s back to ordering people around.

In a game full of chattering racers, Eggman wouldn’t get much out of having Metal Sonic as a team mate, like some have suggested. Eggman is used to leaving his robots as piles of scrap after being destroyed, I don’t see him putting his life on the line to save his team mates. Eggman considers his robots as slaves, not team mates. 

Who knows, maybe Eggman won’t be playable? Honestly, I’d be fine with Eggman being just a villain in this game. Eggman is forced into most every game anyways, this gives a chance for other characters to shine.

With such a limited roster and the risk of fan favorites (such as Blaze) getting excluded, I also considered the possibility that Eggman and his team may not be playable in this game, not from the start at least (maybe he's a secret unlockable or a DLC).

Also, if teams are customizable, Eggman wouldn't make much sense in the game, because you would be able to team him with Sonic, and since this game tries to be as much in-universe as possible (even power-ups are canon), Eggman wouldn't ever team up with Sonic unless he wants to trick him.

He would most likely appear in the story mode as a villain, though I'm not sure he will also be a regular racer, I think it's more likely that the final team is Silver and Blaze (and a third member who may be Cream or someone else).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iko said:

Also, if teams are customizable, Eggman wouldn't make much sense in the game, because you would be able to team him with Sonic, and since this game tries to be as much in-universe as possible (even power-ups are canon), Eggman wouldn't ever team up with Sonic unless he wants to trick him.

He would most likely appear in the story mode as a villain, though I'm not sure he will also be a regular racer, I think it's more likely that the final team is Silver and Blaze (and a third member who may be Cream or someone else).

What? 

No, it doesn't matter when it comes to customizable teams because that sounds like it'll be a mode separate from the overall narrative. Whether or not Eggman would team up with Sonic doesn't matter outside of the story.

I'm sure it won't happen within the story-mode but why would it matter when it came to literally any of the other modes?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The emphasis of the game is on being able to play as people's favourite and popular Sonic characters, and Eggman is one of the most popular characters.  I have a hard time imagining him not being playable.  Besides, Sonic and Eggman have teamed up before for mutually beneficial reasons - consider the extra stage of Sonic Advance 3.  So to assert that it would never happen in-universe is also not true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While the previews haven't been 100% correct, Eggman will definitely be there to enlighten us with his majestic one-liners. No way they would skip two racers from previous titles. As DLC though? That would look really weird for the main villain of the franchise.

In other news! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl65U3EhAxo

This video from E3 shows absolutely nothing new, but what caught my attention was Sumo's lead designer saying this near the end:

"This is an entirely new zone called Planet Wisp, and this track is Wisp Circuit"

This makes it pretty obvious they're going back to the model of S&SASR where a stage had three tracks themed after it. So get ready for Wisp Factory and Whispy Woods! I'm okay with this however, since Wisp Circuit doesn't do Planet Wisp justice, and I hope for a bit more atmospheric track since Eggman is back at enslaving. However, I guess this will limit the amount of locations they will bring back for this game, with Rooftop Run we already have four to six race tracks. I expect one zone each from Adventure (2), Generations, Heroes, Lost World and maybe Forces, but I really hope we get a less prominent pick for once. Aquarium Park is probably dead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LukA8 said:

While the previews haven't been 100% correct, Eggman will definitely be there to enlighten us with his majestic one-liners. No way they would skip two racers from previous titles. As DLC though? That would look really weird for the main villain of the franchise.

In other news! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl65U3EhAxo

This video from E3 shows absolutely nothing new, but what caught my attention was Sumo's lead designer saying this near the end:

"This is an entirely new zone called Planet Wisp, and this track is Wisp Circuit"

This makes it pretty obvious they're going back to the model of S&SASR where a stage had three tracks themed after it. So get ready for Wisp Factory and Whispy Woods! I'm okay with this however, since Wisp Circuit doesn't do Planet Wisp justice, and I hope for a bit more atmospheric track since Eggman is back at enslaving. However, I guess this will limit the amount of locations they will bring back for this game, with Rooftop Run we already have four to six race tracks. I expect one zone each from Adventure (2), Generations, Heroes, Lost World and maybe Forces, but I really hope we get a less prominent pick for once. Aquarium Park is probably dead

I wouldn't expect many picks outside of recent affairs like Gens, LW and Forces, but here's hoping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.