Jump to content
jgcatindig

Character and Circuit Discussion for Team Sonic Racing 🏁

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I can't wait to see what Amy will say when in gameplay I hope its adorable to the point where its beyond all logical reason!

Considering Amy has been known as a rascal and is quite the trash talker herself on occasion I wouldn't bet on it. At most I would hope they don't take her where they've taken Tails at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Considering Amy has been known as a rascal and is quite the trash talker herself on occasion I wouldn't bet on it. At most I would hope they don't take her where they've taken Tails at this point.

She was a c#nt in Sonic Free Riders.

But I feel every character gotta be mean in a racing game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 zones is the safest idea for tracks in this game, with potential for multiple tracks per zone. I mean, if Generations, Forces, etc. can have more acts for each zone, why can't this game? 2 are confirmed already, plus we know there are new zones, so I speculate 4 old and 4 new, 4 old seems a bit too few, but okay, I speculate a zone from Forces and one from the classics.

As for characters, if there are really no DLC plans, someone is getting screwed, Vector could be either with Espio and Charmy, and that's what I prefer, since they fit this game so much, or with Silver and Blaze, because I doubt they would leave them out.

A Team Eggman is certain, with Metal Sonic as speed, it really depends on which type is Eggman, if he's tech Zavok could be power, if Eggman is power Infinite could be tech, I hope Infinite is playable, I'd take him over Zavok.

Honestly, this wouldn't have been a problem if they had put Silver and Blaze in Team Rose with Amy, instead of bringing the Chao and Big, I get it they are requested a lot but they should not be a priority in a 15 racers roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 4:55 AM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

What? 

No, it doesn't matter when it comes to customizable teams because that sounds like it'll be a mode separate from the overall narrative. Whether or not Eggman would team up with Sonic doesn't matter outside of the story.

I'm sure it won't happen within the story-mode but why would it matter when it came to literally any of the other modes?  

According to the most recent news, customizable teams are confirmed. It's not that is a problem or anythng, but it feels odd to team up Eggman with Sonic & friends. It will probably be possible, though it still feels unfitting IMO. The point is that, unlike the olympic games, this game seems to be more in-universe; even when you race randomly in the other game modes, the characters will still interact each other and have their usual personality... in M&S every character was just a mascotte with no personality.

Anyway, I think Eggman will be in the game indeed, but it would probably not count as one of the 15 characters (he and/or his team).

I say this because I think he will be the "final boss" of the story mode, and I think he will be locked until you defeat him and reach the end of the story.

The 15 characters thing probably refers to the main roster, the starting one, and it probably doesn't include bonus characters and DLCs.

This is why I think that a final team with Silver and Blaze is more likely than Eggman taking their place; but since we have the chao racers, everything could happen.

About Eggman being a DLC, I also think it's a bit unlikely, but Metal Sonic was a DLC in the first All Stars Racing, and Infinite (or whoever will be the third member of Eggman's team) definitely looks like DLC material... so while Eggman is a big name and something that fans expect to be in the game, the other members of the team are DLC worthy, and, even if unlikely, I think a "Team Eggman" DLC is not that impossible. It's definitely more likely that he will be a bonus reward for completing the story mode though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, jgcatindig said:

@Iko maybe Team Empire (as I prefer to call Eggman's team)  will be the pre-order/day 1 bonus? 

That's another possibility... though, it would be a bit unfair to restrict Eggman only to a small amount of people (the ones who pre-order or get the game at day 1).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I hope for DLC, in terms of monetary matters...

 

Dlc 1 comes out,  you pay for it to get it earlier. 

Dlc 2 comes,  content from DLC 1 is now free, but challenges are needed to be met. (Maybe a cup will do) 

 

And so on and so forth until we have no more DLC ideas and be packaged as an Ultimate Edition.

All DLC have individual prices, and bundle prices as well. 

 

Edited by jgcatindig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Some people seem to be under the impression that there will be a story in this game. Has anything been said about that?

Also, only 15 characters?!

Yes. From the press release they claimed there would be a story mode: it would also explain why Sonic is in a car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 6/25/2018 at 9:54 PM, Iko said:

That's because she's hated in the core Sonic fandom, a lot.

 

Eeeh, is she really? 

Like, I know there's a key catch with her characterization that makes her a bit tricky and that there are indeed people who look down on her for two or three ancillary reasons, but that sentiment is one I've only seen very occasionally in specific places.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:54 PM, Iko said:

The point is, I think that Cream is a character that a lot of people like but many don't know they like her, or they don't want to accept it because they are too embarrassed of liking a cute little girly character;

 

Admittedly, I didn't actively list her as a favorite until the topic regarding the game cast came up.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:54 PM, Iko said:

I think that characters like Cream are necessary to the series, as much as the edgy and cool ones... it adds to the variety of the cast.

Definitely.

.

On 6/26/2018 at 1:09 AM, Sega DogTagz said:

For all this talk, its also worth bringing up what "kinds" of characters you would actually want in a Kart racer with this much jabbering going on between racers. Her being left off the roster could have more to do with the idea that 90% of her quips would involve her apologizing to the other racers, or voicing concern to the aggression's around her.

 

It could be that her personality just didn't fit the theme, so they went in a different direction.

 

They haven't played Sonic Rush(or Runners, for whatever reason) or read the Archie comics then.

Not to mention there's bound to be some people who portray/view her as something of a Memetic Psychopath anyway.

On 6/26/2018 at 7:35 PM, Miragnarok said:

Well, who’s to say Cream wouldn’t have worked as Amy’s passenger, rather than an actual driver. 

Replace Amy with the Chao in this case and I absolutely agree.

On 6/27/2018 at 12:38 AM, Miragnarok said:

I kinda expect Big to be saying things like “Gotta go fast!” to Sonic, “Do YOU know the way?” to Knuckles, “Owwie, the edges on you!” to Shadow...

Okay, admittedly, I'd be down if some of those made it in... :lol: 

On 6/27/2018 at 11:32 AM, SpongicX said:

A lot of people think Cream would be suitable for Silver and Blaze’s team, but wouldn’t Marine make more sense? The poor character was barely given a chance to shine, and Marine became Blaze’s sidekick anyways. I just think it’s strange to say Cream would be on Team Dimension/Soul, when Marine would be a better match.

 

Yeah, that's what I thought coming in anyway, even if Cream and Sticks are more well-known and/or easier to use.

On 6/27/2018 at 11:32 AM, SpongicX said:

If Cream were playable, she would have been on Amy’s team, why would Cream betray her best friend and a bunch of Chao, just to race alongside a friend she barely knows from another dimension?

 

Well, again, it's not like there's no precedent for that to be an alternative use. To the point that you could say it'd arguably be a tad more deserving/built than her official usage otherwise has actually done.

Plus, it's not like that'd be much of a story hiccup anyway, if there even is one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Admittedly it is kinda bad for Cream if the examples that have to be used for her of any significant substance are a 13 year old game, a game that has been discontinued and is literally inaccessible now, and an alternate universe comic that shouldn't really be used in game discussion that is also discontinued anyway. 

Seriously, even Big got a fair shake and a key role when he appeared in Mario and Sonic London 3DS of all things. Cream showed up to basically get scared at yet another set of fog clones and contribute nothing to the story. Worse yet, she used to be the co-host with Toad so should have had a bigger role had she stayed in that slot, but for this she got replaced with Omochao. 

...Wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

On 6/27/2018 at 12:17 PM, Sonic Fan J said:

I've been thinking about the team compositions again and I really do feel like Team Rose is kind of a wasted opportunity. I know chaos are popular and Big is uniquely beloved (way to tie in with Amy there, lol) but I noticed a theme with Team Sonic and Team Dark that could have been reflected with Amy and a prime opportunity to bring Sticks over to the main series beyond just the Sonic Channel comics. That theme is none other than a speed character accompanied by their (supposedly) closest friends. With Sonic you have Tails and (arguably) Knuckles, while with Shadow you have Rouge and Omega who we know that Shadow perceives as his friends in his own distinct way. Following this trend you could have had Amy with her two best friends, Cream and Sticks.

Even narratively I could see Sticks working since she has been shown to be competitive, capable of working as part of team, and her whole paranoia shtick would result in her competing to prove to everyone that there is some nefarious ploy at work. Then between Sticks and Cream I could see either of them being either technique or power. For Cream being a technique racer would primarily be a parallel  to Tails which she serves as any way, but being a power character would be a nice in joke due to the devastation that Cheese brings while also presenting it as she just has a big heavy cart to keep her safe while she races. With Sticks, a technique character works since the primary ability is being able to drive off road without penalty which fits her wild child side, but she could also work as a power character due to her needing a cart to fend off the other racers who she is sure are going to out to get her.

All in all, I really do feel like a team composition of Amy, Cream, and Sticks would have worked better for Team Rose as it really would have tied the team to Amy. Oh well, what can I really do about it, this franchise is plagued with wasted opportunities.

A majority of this post, pretty much in general.

On 6/27/2018 at 5:36 PM, Blue Blood said:

Sticks is perhaps the worst characters to ever grace the series. "Lol so random paranoid" humour is painful, 

You do realize that was generally a product of what show she was a major part of, right?

If concept art is any indication, there's even more precedent for that aspect of her being toned down than some of her episodes already displayed.

On 6/27/2018 at 6:34 PM, Pawn said:

Marine wouldn't make more sense because she's essentially a one-shot character.

This line right here speaks for what a collective missed opportunity making this game a Kart racer of this presents.

On 6/28/2018 at 12:55 PM, Miragnarok said:

Concerns over female representation, “characters who haven’t been playable in a long time”... 

 

What if we ended up getting Maria Robotnik and Shade?

Shade, maybe, just maybe. But Maria? 

That's a deep cut unexpected character if I ever did see one.

On 6/28/2018 at 1:27 PM, GentlemanX said:

According to Ian Flynn, Sega had no problem with Archie using Shade and other Chronicles content after the reboot. They likely consider them Sega property, just not designed by Sonic Team and therefore irrelevant.

 

If only Geno, Mallow, Croco, and Boshi got so lucky.

On 6/28/2018 at 1:27 PM, GentlemanX said:

 

Team Wild: Sticks (S), Tikal (T), Nega (P)

Why is Nega on Team Wild now? Alongside Tikal, no less.  :lol:

On 6/28/2018 at 1:27 PM, GentlemanX said:

 

Team Phantom: Infinite (S), Chaos (T), Zavok (P)

Ah shit, gettin Crash Nitro Kart up N dis Zone.

On 6/28/2018 at 1:59 PM, Tracker_TD said:

Granted I suppose Team Rose in Free Riders didn't make much sense either, but even then. That and we've already seen what is presumably Vector's kart. 

To be fair in the Free Riders, Vector being on Team Rose was very much a thing for the story, added a different flavor to Team Rose, and/or was pretty much the joke.

On 6/28/2018 at 2:00 PM, SpongicX said:

Everyone is assuming Eggman will be playable, but has it occurred to anyone that he could be a final boss or something? Maybe he won’t be playable. It could be interesting to have a boss fight that involves racing to support your teammates and use power ups to take down a giant weaponized vehicle of Eggman's.

 

Mm...I could see that.

Him [still] being playable is pretty likely though. Which could present the opportunity for having another villain/monster at the helm, if there is a story mode.

On 6/28/2018 at 2:08 PM, SpongicX said:

But Metal Sonic can’t talk. After Sonic Heroes, he became a mute character. This game involves the characters communicating with each other, Metal Sonic can’t interact with the other racers.

Metal Sonic was almost always a mute character.

.

On 7/2/2018 at 12:28 PM, Shadowlax said:

I totally think there are plans for dlc

Oh, there had better be. There's honestly little workable reason as to why there wouldn't be.

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

Yes. From the press release they claimed there would be a story mode: it would also explain why Sonic is in a car.

Oh boy, can't wait to see this mess of a presentation on display.

.

57 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Admittedly it is kinda bad for Cream if the examples that have to be used for her of any significant substance are a 13 year old game, a game that has been discontinued and is literally inaccessible now, and an alternate universe comic that shouldn't really be used in game discussion that is also discontinued anyway. 

Seriously, even Big got a fair shake and a key role when he appeared in Mario and Sonic London 3DS of all things. Cream showed up to basically get scared at yet another set of fog clones and contribute nothing to the story. Worse yet, she used to be the co-host with Toad so should have had a bigger role had she stayed in that slot, but for this she got replaced with Omochao. 

...Wait.

Oh foq, there's even more precedent for this mess!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Why is Nega on Team Wild now? Alongside Tikal, no less.  :lol:

Because Wild is sort of a "Wild Card" team that didn't try to actually use characters that had to do with each other - Team Wild in Runners was Tikal, Sticks, and the Werehog. Nega was playable in Mario & Sonic 2016 and had a comic during the 25th Anniversary events on Sonic Channel. Sonic Team at least want to keep him in the public consciousness as much as Jet or Chaos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Because Wild is sort of a "Wild Card" team that didn't try to actually use characters that had to do with each other - Team Wild in Runners was Tikal, Sticks, and the Werehog. Nega was playable in Mario & Sonic 2016 and had a comic during the 25th Anniversary events on Sonic Channel. Sonic Team at least want to keep him in the public consciousness as much as Jet or Chaos.

Huh. Neat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2018 at 4:48 PM, Iko said:

According to the most recent news, customizable teams are confirmed. It's not that is a problem or anythng, but it feels odd to team up Eggman with Sonic & friends. It will probably be possible, though it still feels unfitting IMO. The point is that, unlike the olympic games, this game seems to be more in-universe; even when you race randomly in the other game modes, the characters will still interact each other and have their usual personality... in M&S every character was just a mascotte with no personality.

Anyway, I think Eggman will be in the game indeed, but it would probably not count as one of the 15 characters (he and/or his team).

I say this because I think he will be the "final boss" of the story mode, and I think he will be locked until you defeat him and reach the end of the story.

The 15 characters thing probably refers to the main roster, the starting one, and it probably doesn't include bonus characters and DLCs.

This is why I think that a final team with Silver and Blaze is more likely than Eggman taking their place; but since we have the chao racers, everything could happen.

About Eggman being a DLC, I also think it's a bit unlikely, but Metal Sonic was a DLC in the first All Stars Racing, and Infinite (or whoever will be the third member of Eggman's team) definitely looks like DLC material... so while Eggman is a big name and something that fans expect to be in the game, the other members of the team are DLC worthy, and, even if unlikely, I think a "Team Eggman" DLC is not that impossible. It's definitely more likely that he will be a bonus reward for completing the story mode though.

I won't say its outright impossible for Silver and Blaze to get in over Eggman due to the fact that stranger things have happened... but its highly unlikely. 

It doesn't make any sense for Dr. Eggman, the main villain of the series, to be left out of the game or be DLC because of an arbitrary reason like, "It feels weird to have him team up with Sonic in a freeplay or multiplayer race". It doesn't. Multiplayer and free play games do this all the time; with fighters especially. You can have heroes and villains team up to fight one another and what not all the time. They usually don't restrict you based on whose good or bad.

What you're saying is only relevant as far as the story mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team Sonic
Team Rose
Team Dark
Team Chaotix (Potentially with a member switched out for someone else, wouldn't be surprised if Charmy got switched out for someone)
Team Egg: Egg, Metal, Weird Tanooki King (who is going to be a robot or something, made by egg for egg purposes)

Tracks will be another Reused Assets Adventure.

Where do I claim my prize?

I don't have enough Costanzas for all the people implying Egg isn't going to be playable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about if Team Eggman was unlockable after the story mode instead? Like, the 15 they keep talking about is the base roster and you use the five set teams in set campaigns with cutscenes and stuff, and after finishing all those Eggman, Metal Sonic, and Egg Pawn; previously only NPCs in story mode, become available in free play.

Of course I'm just hypothesizing with no real proof 15 isn't the total number, but would that be more realistic than Team Eggman being in a bonus edition/DLC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GentlemanX said:

What about if Team Eggman was unlockable after the story mode instead? Like, the 15 they keep talking about is the base roster and you use the five set teams in set campaigns with cutscenes and stuff, and after finishing all those Eggman, Metal Sonic, and Egg Pawn; previously only NPCs in story mode, become available in free play.

Of course I'm just hypothesizing with no real proof 15 isn't the total number, but would that be more realistic than Team Eggman being in a bonus edition/DLC?

I had that idea

But its just eggman. Eggman has the " boss car " that can be all 3 classes and you can pick, and he's the extra 16th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Eeeh, is she really? 

Like, I know there's a key catch with her characterization that makes her a bit tricky and that there are indeed people who look down on her for two or three ancillary reasons, but that sentiment is one I've only seen very occasionally in specific places.

Well, I don't know really, I always had the impression that Cream is disliked by a big part of the Sonic fandom. Before Sonic 4, when people had a lot of fun trashtalking about Sonic's "crappy friends", Cream and Big the Cat were very often taken as example of "crappy" characters (Big is appreciated now only because of the meme culture, the same reason that made Bubsy have a sequel; in the past he was genuinelly hated by 90% of the fandom); I think Amy was a bit hated too at the time because it was the golden age of her fangirl personality (basically Team Rose), and there was an hater base for Shadow as well, but he was very popular and his fans were way more than the haters.

It's true that nowadays people don't talk much about Cream anymore, but that's because she stopped to appear in games and became less relevant... now there is more apathy than hate, but she is still considered a least favorite by many Sonic fans IMO.

I've been on the Sega Forums for some years, and more than once I found people saying that Cream is a bad character, that she's a Tails clone, that she's an Amy clone, and that she shouldn't exist (I can understand people complaining about her voice though). Maybe that place was one of the specific places you are talking about, maybe it's just a vocal minority, but I experienced some Cream hate in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:46 AM, Sonic Fan J said:

Considering Amy has been known as a rascal and is quite the trash talker herself on occasion I wouldn't bet on it. At most I would hope they don't take her where they've taken Tails at this point.

I believe she will be closer to Sonic Heroes or Sonic Free Riders.

 

When is Sega going to show Amy driving I want a better view of her car I hope the car customizing is better than what they did for F-Zero GX having so many parts to add on to your car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh foq, there's even more precedent for this mess!

Funny you bring up Cream again, because I just remembered these are in production, and were in fact a source of the racing game rumors before TSR was announced, due to an associated video mentioning track pieces.

Are the minimates related? Who knows, but the timing sure is curious. Someone at SEGA must have considered her important enough if she's still part of toy productions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Multiplayer and free play games do this all the time; with fighters especially. You can have heroes and villains team up to fight one another and what not all the time. They usually don't restrict you based on whose good or bad.

What you're saying is only relevant as far as the story mode.

The overall reason why this game seemingly having only 15 characters, including leaving out Cream for some arbitrary reason, strikes me as odd.

22 hours ago, Jambone said:

Weird Tanooki King (who is going to be a robot or something, made by egg for egg purposes)

Who the heck is that now?

10 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Funny you bring up Cream again, because I just remembered these are in production, and were in fact a source of the racing game rumors before TSR was announced, due to an associated video mentioning track pieces.

Are the minimates related? Who knows, but the timing sure is curious. Someone at SEGA must have considered her important enough if she's still part of toy productions.

What in heavens name are those?

Ah, Cream and Amy's been hitting the gym.

 

Anyway, thanks for bringing these to our attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.