Jump to content
jgcatindig

Character and Circuit Discussion for Team Sonic Racing 🏁

Recommended Posts

Not how I interpreted it, at least:

Team Racing - Race as a team, win as a team. Use various team moves to assist your teammates, knock out opponents and unleash your Team Ultimate

Team Ultimate sounds like something unique to each team, thinking of All-Star moves here. I might be wrong, of course. The question is just if the last team will even fit together.

Oh, and we can probably rule out two-character teams from this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's possible that you can make custom teams but you must select one speed, one technique and one power in each team.

1 hour ago, jgcatindig said:

A personal thought. 

Team Rose shall be comprised of all female characters. Don't like Big in there. 

 

Blaze donning the Speed type

Cream donning Technique and in a Chao Walker.

Amy going for Power. And still retaining her Beetle kart from Transformed.

 

 

I agree, I said this in the other thread too. I like Big, but Blaze makes more sense in Team Rose; though, I think it's possible that Blaze will be Speed and Amy Power (because of the hammer).

My speculation for the teams is (Speed, Technique, Power):

>Sonic, Tails, Knuckles

>Blaze, Cream, Amy

>Shadow, Rouge, Omega

>Espio, Charmy, Vector

>Metal Sonic, Eggman, Egg Pawn

 

Though, Silver is missing, Big the Cat too... I can see Infinite being added later as a DLC though.

If Silver is missing that would be a missed opportunity to have a futuristic floating veichle with cyan neon decorations.

Also, I hope Cream is in the game and rides a sidecar scooter like this (with Cheese in the sidecar) :D

220px-Vespa_sidecar.png

 

I think that the guy in the cover of the game, that one who looks like Big, is probably an NPC, maybe the commentator or something like that.

EDIT: now that I think, Silver may end in Team Dark instead of Omega. He's from Sonic 06, so he fits the "dark" theme, also Egg Pawn seems to be the Eggrobo-like character of this game, so Omega would be kinda redundant. It's odd but that's the only way for it to make sense.

Classic Sonic, Ray, Mighty as DLC is also very possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iko said:

It's possible that you can make custom teams but you must select one speed, one technique and one power in each team.

I agree, I said this in the other thread too. I like Big, but Blaze makes more sense in Team Rose; though, I think it's possible that Blaze will be Speed and Amy Power (because of the hammer).

My speculation for the teams is (Speed, Technique, Power):

>Sonic, Tails, Knuckles

>Blaze, Cream, Amy

>Shadow, Rouge, Omega

>Espio, Charmy, Vector

>Metal Sonic, Eggman, Egg Pawn

 

Though, Silver is missing, Big the Cat too... I can see Infinite being added later as a DLC though.

If Silver is missing that would be a missed opportunity to have a futuristic floating veichle with cyan neon decorations.

Also, I hope Cream is in the game and rides a sidecar scooter like this (with Cheese in the sidecar) :D

220px-Vespa_sidecar.png

 

I think that the guy in the cover of the game, that one who looks like Big, is probably an NPC, maybe the commentator or something like that.

EDIT: now that I think, Silver may end in Team Dark instead of Omega. He's from Sonic 06, so he fits the "dark" theme, also Egg Pawn seems to be the Eggrobo-like character of this game, so Omega would be kinda redundant. It's odd but that's the only way for it to make sense.

Classic Sonic, Ray, Mighty as DLC is also very possible.

Egg Pawn so far seems to be a story opponent (given that they’re huge and one is floating above the track), so maybe Infinite? Or heck, even Jet? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, time to get into my dream boat and start fantasizing about what I'd like for my perfect and complete package concerning this game.

Character Roster - If it truly is locked at an even 15 for the entire game and that isn't just a staple for the story and there's no chance of DLC then my preferred roster would be:

Team Obviously Gonna Be There - Sonic, Tails, Knuckles

Team Moral Gray Area - Shadow, Rouge, Omega

Team We're Just Trying to Make a Living - Vector, Charmy, Espio

Team Interchangeable So Long as Amy is In it so we can call it Team Rose - Amy, Silver, Blaze

Team Mr. Tinker - Eggman, Metal Sonic, and Egg Pawn (Yes, I have no problem with there being an Egg Pawn. I think that's kind of adorable actually).

 

Stages - I'm not really going to get too excited for stages I've seen appear before in stuff like Generations already so Planet Wisp does nothing for me. It wasn't really a stage I was too excited about for Generations either but I was okay with it. I suppose an exception might be City Escape if only to see how the truck would function as an obstacle for a racing circuit. Don't drive too carelessly or your car might get blowed up when its run over by the Monster G.U.N truck!

There's like 20 tracks in both games before it. 21 for Transformed if you got the Outrun stage.  I guess I'll just list off favorites until I run out of room.

1. Hang Castle - I say this all the time but goddammit, it's such a shame the horror troupe isn't used more in Sonic. This stage was the coolest shit with the best music too. Especially when it goes upside down. You go upside down and you fall off the track... and you fall into the moon! THAT'S BRILLIANT!

2. Egg Fleet - Mostly because I want to re-experience racing off the top of one of the fishy ships and landing on one waaaaay below me and keep driving like a badass. Technically we already got Final Fortress but... yeah, I guess that's a decent point. Honestly, the other games kind of covered all the ones I wanted for Heroes. I'd have chosen Final Fortess, Casino Park, and Hang Castle. Maybe not Seaside Hill but if we need a Green Hill clone I'd rather it be one with a nice view of the ocean.

3. Eggmanland - Not that fake Iron Fortress shit from Forces either. The proper one from Unleashed. It looked so cool.

And that's it. Yeah, I just care about these three. 

Actually, really only Hang Castle and Eggmanland. I can live without Egg Fleet. I just want those two stages. I don't entirely care so long as it's not just a rehash of the stuff we got from Generations again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've wanted to see Hang Castle and Mystic Mansion again for years, Heroes had such great level themes and this is one of those stages that always gets the short end of the stick due to the usual, more well-known suspects. Another stage this applies to is Twinkle Park (also Lost World), one of my absolute favourites from Adventure which will always be overshadowed by Speed Highway. And since this game will definitely reuse a lot of assets, I don't see much changing about this. I hope to see at least more stages from Unleashed and Colors that weren't in Generations, like Aquarium Park for example, but I'm not holding my breath.

I wasn't too thrilled how SASR handled Final Fortress, since it didn't really capture the giant fleet/armada feeling from Heroes and made it look more like one of Eggy's standard bases. The tracks were all fun, but I hope this time we don't get three based on Planet Wisp, three tracks on Green Hill and three tracks on Chemical Plant to make up 60% of the selection. Transformed had all unique stages, but I'm sure that game also had a much bigger budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LukA8 said:

I've wanted to see Hang Castle and Mystic Mansion again for years, Heroes had such great level themes and this is one of those stages that always gets the short end of the stick due to the usual, more well-known suspects. Another stage this applies to is Twinkle Park (also Lost World), one of my absolute favourites from Adventure which will always be overshadowed by Speed Highway. And since this game will definitely reuse a lot of assets, I don't see much changing about this. I hope to see at least more stages from Unleashed and Colors that weren't in Generations, like Aquarium Park for example, but I'm not holding my breath.

I wasn't too thrilled how SASR handled Final Fortress, since it didn't really capture the giant fleet/armada feeling from Heroes and made it look more like one of Eggy's standard bases. The tracks were all fun, but I hope this time we don't get three based on Planet Wisp, three tracks on Green Hill and three tracks on Chemical Plant to make up 60% of the selection. Transformed had all unique stages, but I'm sure that game also had a much bigger budget.

I kinda think at least some of the old tracks get lifted over from the prior entries in the series. ASRT had 3 distinct tracks and ASR had 3 general biomes for tracks plus 1 more unique track. With those lifted in, i’d like to see some all-original levels, something that hasn’t been in a racer since Free Riders. Given the box art, we will probably see something that looks more like a realistic race track also included, ala how Mario Kart has its basic circuits. I also hope for tracks from previous Sonic racers, either redone or directly lifted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is everyone so sold on Sumo leaning heavily on previous assets? Despite several entries in the ASR series, I don't feel like Sumo has ever shown their hand in ripping assets away from Sonic Team, and it doesn't look like their own assets made the jump from game to game either... at least not excessively.

 

I can see them padding the stage count with returning transformed levels - like transformed did with the Classic Cup; but where is this feeling coming from that Sumo's gonna camp on their old assets to the detriment of new content. If we get more of the same GHZ/Seaside/crap - I feel it will have more to do with Sega wanting to push the most thematic levels rather than the devs sitting back on the art they can abuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Why is everyone so sold on Sumo leaning heavily on previous assets? Despite several entries in the ASR series, I don't feel like Sumo has ever shown their hand in ripping assets away from Sonic Team, and it doesn't look like their own assets made the jump from game to game either... at least not excessively.

 

I can see them padding the stage count with returning transformed levels - like transformed did with the Classic Cup; but where is this feeling coming from that Sumo's gonna camp on their old assets to the detriment of new content. If we get more of the same GHZ/Seaside/crap - I feel it will have more to do with Sega wanting to push the most thematic levels rather than the devs sitting back on the art they can abuse.

Actually re-using assets is more of a good thing, as it keeps all of the obvious stuff out of the way for them to do more inventive tracks. Metropolis from Sonic Forces would be nice, along with Asteroid Coaster, Rooftop Run, and the ARK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Miragnarok said:

Actually re-using assets is more of a good thing, as it keeps all of the obvious stuff out of the way for them to do more inventive tracks. Metropolis from Sonic Forces would be nice, along with Asteroid Coaster, Rooftop Run, and the ARK.

 

Would they even have access to that stuff though? They could have easily borrowed stuff from Sonic Team in the past, however they never seem too, but rather build their own imitations from the ground up.

 

I'd like to see Aquarium Park, Jungle Joyride and either Sylvania Castle / Kingdom Valley (*gasp*) get some love this time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

 

Would they even have access to that stuff though? They could have easily borrowed stuff from Sonic Team in the past, however they never seem too, but rather build their own imitations from the ground up.

 

I'd like to see Aquarium Park, Jungle Joyride and either Sylvania Castle / Kingdom Valley (*gasp*) get some love this time

I meant their own assets from the prior Sega Superstars games. Not necessarily ST’s. And I agree with all of those level choices. Metal City and Dolphin Resort from Riders would be nice too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PawnMaybe there would be a team full of Egg Pawns,  color-coded for types? Unlockable when you 50% the story.

Also,  there will be some markings/additions to denote their type. 

An aerodynamic Egg Pawn is Speed

A weapon-laden Egg Pawn is Tech

A regular one is Power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread looking a little unenergetic so I'll be stirring it up.

 

We already know Planet Wisp is in, headlining the possible track list. With that said, if I were in power to choose I'd put:

 

Palmtree Panic Zone(all Time variations)

Metropolis Zone

Launch Base Zone

Stardust Speedway(all Time variants)

Studiopolis

Press Garden

Sky Sanctuary

Metallic Madness(all Time variations)

Speed Highway

Emerald Altar(Adventure)

Perfect Chaos Fight

City Escape

GUN Quarters

Frog Forest

Seaside Hill + Wave Ocean

Kingdom Valley

Soleanna Grounds

Apotos Shores

Shamar Oasis

Dragon Road

Planet Wisp(already confirmed)

Sweet Mountain

Red Gate Bridge

Egg Gate

any Metropolis level from Forces(preferably a medley)

Imperial Fortress(combo of Imperial Tower, Mortar Canyon, Iron Fortress)

Null Space/Boss Phase 3

 

Edited by jgcatindig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer brand new stages like in Mario Kart, along with older stages. A mix of old and new, so we can please everyone.

As for the teams, I'd love a fourth team that is brand new, something never done before, so maybe Team Dimension? Or Team Eggman? A final team that is all villains would be good for sure, but I predict that some villains will race alone, the final boss probably.

But I really want the Chaotix in this, ESPECIALLY because we have a story mode, IMO the Chaotix were fantastic in Heroes, Shadow, Sonic X and even in Generations and Forces they had a good presence, so they would work really well in the Adventure mode, or they can go with the route of having Vector alone in Team Rose like Free Riders, to be honest, Vector is my favorite of the Chaotix, but I prefer the team to be whole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

I would prefer brand new stages like in Mario Kart, along with older stages. A mix of old and new, so we can please everyone.

As for the teams, I'd love a fourth team that is brand new, something never done before, so maybe Team Dimension? Or Team Eggman? A final team that is all villains would be good for sure, but I predict that some villains will race alone, the final boss probably.

But I really want the Chaotix in this, ESPECIALLY because we have a story mode, IMO the Chaotix were fantastic in Heroes, Shadow, Sonic X and even in Generations and Forces they had a good presence, so they would work really well in the Adventure mode, or they can go with the route of having Vector alone in Team Rose like Free Riders, to be honest, Vector is my favorite of the Chaotix, but I prefer the team to be whole.

Their last good (and best) portrayal is in Shadow The Hedgehog. I hope they don't shoehorn Vector into Team Rose,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sumo used assets from Generations in ASRT, tho', Seaside Hill and Sky Sanctuary.

I have no doubt in my mind that at least 2 Forces levels are going to be in. Metropolis would be cool if I had do pick. 

I'm whiling to bet the supposed team mechanic is switching itens with your partners and stuff like that. Perhaps a... DOUBLE BOOST, EH? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this in the other thread before realising there were separate topics, buuuuut:

Quote

I've never been super fond of grouping everyone into threes, since it places limitations on interactions and pushes some characters into awkward roles where none really make a lot of sense (see Amy). That said, it's a racing game and I'm sure Sumo know what they're doing. One good thing that does come of this is that Rouge should be a lock for a team with Shadow. I just hope Blaze makes it in too. As for the entire roster, I would guess something like:

Team Sonic - Sonic, Tails, Knuckles

Team Fuck You - Shadow, Rouge, Omega

Team Pink/Purple - Amy, Blaze, Big (due to Sumo's fondness for him) or Blaze, Silver (since he's often been chosen above other ancillary characters), Amy

Team Chaotix - Espio, Charmy, Vector

Team Egg - Metal, Eggman and... I hate to say it but... possibly Infinite. I'd love it to be Chaos (since he's seen more prominence recently in Forces and Lego Dimensions) or just about anybody else, but... sigh.

 

Cream's possible, but along with Big, is one of the mostly likely to miss the cut. Charmy and Omega are lucky to be part of an established trio where any other character would feel wrong. I know Omega's been replaced before in Free Riders, but I don't see why a generic robot would be chosen again over an actual member of the cast. Unless Chaos takes his place, since he and Shadow are similar in some ways and the brand "Team Adventure" could work. Team Rose, on the other hand, had very little tying it together in the first place, so I could see Amy joining any of the remaining characters. Whether any of it matters really depends how much story there is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jango said:

Sumo used assets from Generations in ASRT, tho', Seaside Hill and Sky Sanctuary.

Can you point out any? Because from where I am sitting, I don't see it. I do see a lot of duplication of assets in the background of stages (pillars, islands) but even the death egg isn't pulled from Generations.

On top of that, a lot of Sanctuary Falls was destructible - so in that case they had to build it in pieces so it could be blasted apart mid race. That really cuts down opportunities to borrow assets

 

They may have leaned heavily on stages that had previously had been re-imagined by Sonic Team to save on interpreting old levels themselves, but I don't see them copy pasting assets from past games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jgcatindig said:

Thread looking a little unenergetic so I'll be stirring it up.

 

We already know Planet Wisp is in, headlining the possible track list. With that said, if I were in power to choose I'd put:

 

Palmtree Panic Zone(all Time variations)

Metropolis Zone

Launch Base Zone

Stardust Speedway(all Time variants)

*Sonic CD 

Studiopolis

Press Garden

Sky Sanctuary

Metallic Madness(all Time variations)

Speed Highway

Emerald Altar(Adventure)

Perfect Chaos Fight

City Escape

GUN Quarters

Frog Forest

Seaside Hill + Wave Ocean

Kingdom Valley

Soleanna Grounds

Apotos Shores

Shamar Oasis

Dragon Road

Planet Wisp

Sweet Mountain

Red Gate Bridge

Egg Gate

any Metropolis level from Forces(preferably a medley)

Imperial Fortress(combo of Imperial Tower, Mortar Canyon, Iron Fortress)

Null Space/Boss Phase 3

 

Cool ideas, but there should also be some original tracks sprinkled in. And what about arenas for Battle Mode? For that:

 

Neo South Island

Sky Canyon

Music Plant

Water Palace

Westopolis

Pyramid Cave

Plus 3 all-new arenas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Cool ideas, but there should also be some original tracks sprinkled in. And what about arenas for Battle Mode?

Battle Mode you say? 

 

I'd put in every last one of the stages in Sonic Battle!  I love that game. (not the RNG tho.) I just wanna see the stages come alive in all that 3d HD. Yes,  even Amy's Room! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For characters, my likely character placements will be:

- Confirmed/Certain:
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Amy
Shadow
Eggman

- Likely

Metal Sonic (Has been in the previous 2 racers as DLC, so they'll likely re-add him.)
Blaze (She's still one of the more favorite Sonic characters amongst the fandom, so her inclusion in my eyes is still likely)
Rouge (Also still fairly popular I think, and it'd be cool for a reference inclusion if her car or one of the alts will be her Batmobile from Adventure 2)
Mighty & Ray (Given they're making a grand return in Mania Plus, I think Sumo will likely capitalize on them as major obscure character comeback-inclusion fanservice, and it'd be cool that if they were to be given Modern-era updated looks how they'd be presented as.)

- Possible

Cream
Big
Silver
Chaotix (Either seperate or as a joint 3-in-1 vehicle deal)
Jet (If more slots are available I wouldn't mind Wave and Storm in either as the whole Babylon Rogues group ensemble)
Omega
Marine
Nack/Fang

Regardless of roster, I'll still look forward to this game, gonna pre-order it soon, and Sonic racing games by Sumo Digital have always been solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A theory regarding the Types.

Since it was rumored that special routes ala Riders/Heroes are out of the  question, I suspect the Types are passive buffs. 

  • Speed benefits the best from Boost Pads
  • Technique has better Power-Up/Wisp duration
  • Power people are the most resistant to attacks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.