Awoo.

Character and Circuit Discussion for Team Sonic Racing 🏁

jgcatindig

20 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Silver is 14.

And Tails is 8 and he also pilot PLANES.

Talk about irresponsible.

• Chuckle 1

24 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Would Silver actually drive his car, or would he just move it with his psychokinesis?  Similarly, I wonder if Omega in a vehicle counts as a driverless car.  Weighty issues which the story mode will no doubt give the attention they deserve, which is none.

His vehicle should be him standing on top of a ball of trash, rolling it around with his feet.

...That would've been a fantastic All-Star Move, actually.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the previews is anything to go by, we will always have to consider 3 characters when wishing 1's presence, as in: if Silver is indeed in, who's he paired with? Most likely Blaze, which will be the speed member. Silver will likely be tech. But who's gonna be power? 

I could see Silver actually taking the tech spot in Team Rose, replacing Cream. Team Rose would be Amy, Silver and Big. 

I mean, 15 characters is pretty restrict when you consider that they're going by Sonic Heroes' pairing (I wish they've went with Adventure 2 pairing, but eh. Omega is cool I guess). So 12 character slots are already taken. And the 3 remaining are obviously Eggman, Metal Sonic and... an Egg Pawn (sigh).

The only way to have the likes of Nack, Blaze, Tikal, Chaos etc playable is through DLC. At least if any DLC is made, they're coming in 3!!

@Jango Yes! Finally who thinks like I do in these things! It certainly isn't called "Team Sonic Racing" for no reason! Any and all predictions we all make shall come in 3s.

I've made my predictions for the Starters and Unlockables, so here's my DLC wishlist/predictions.

PACK 1

Babylon Rogues

Jet, Wave, Storm

Team Mania

C. Sonic(in Drift car), Mighty, Ray

*Possibly add-on incentive for buying Mania Plus(i.e. get the Team free when you buy Mania Plus)

PACK 2

Freedom Racing

Antoine, Sally, Bunnie

Destructix Racing

Scourge, Fiona, Sgt. Simian

PACK 3

Team Human

Princess Elise,  Prof.  Pickle,  GUN Commander

or

Team Rookz

Violet,  Gadget,  Tangle

(pre-made Avatars) 

Team Evil Celestial

Mephiles,  Gemerl,  Chaos Zero

or

Team Ancient

Maria,  Gerald R., Tikal

SEGA Pack

Team 1

Danica Patrick(if available)/BD Joe,  Joe Musashi/Ulala,  Gilius Thunderhead

Team 2

Daytona/AiAi,  Beat/Ulala,  Ryo Hazuki/Ralph

*Both packs possibly the Pre-order DLC. 

@JangoStill optimistic  that those Pawns are just obstacles, not part of the count or unlockable too. The good doctor might enter two teams in that GP, one of those may be the Pawn Team, while the other ishis actual team, comprised of himself, Metal, and Infinite 

Edited by jgcatindig
Content and formatting

I definitly expect Sega to want to add Forces/ Mania specific characters in here to advertise those games.
I mean, spin off games are always filled to the brim with aesthetics and characters from the latest flagship game, remember how Windy HIll and Zazz were shoved in the Olympic games and cellphone games?
So you would think Infinite and the Avatar from Forces and Mighty/ Ray or a hard boiled heavy from Mania would show up, but there's barely room for them.
Sad we sacrificed all the other Sega IP's to give the spotlight back to Sonic's sidecast, and then most of them will still be left out.
15 spots is really small. Unless there's a ton of DLC coming.

Pfft, gotta love you add Danica Patrick as a Sega character.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not against Infinite, Avatar, Mighty, Ray, some Hard Boiled Heavy even though they aren't main characters, they would make the roster unique... I just don't see it happening with 15 characters in the roster plus the team division.

I'd rather have a few of the Hard-boiled heavies (especially the magician one) any day over the more generic-looking Ray and Mighty.

Alternatively, classic skins for Sonic, Tails, Amy, Eggman & Knuckles would be something I'd welcome. More since I don't think we ever had a 3-D classic Amy rendered with current hardware.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I definitly expect Sega to want to add Forces/ Mania specific characters in here to advertise those games.
I mean, spin off games are always filled to the brim with aesthetics and characters from the latest flagship game, remember how Windy HIll and Zazz were shoved in the Olympic games and cellphone games?
So you would think Infinite and the Avatar from Forces and Mighty/ Ray or a hard boiled heavy from Mania would show up, but there's barely room for them.
Sad we sacrificed all the other Sega IP's to give the spotlight back to Sonic's sidecast, and then most of them will still be left out.
15 spots is really small. Unless there's a ton of DLC coming.

Pfft, gotta love you add Danica Patrick as a Sega character.

Or just in a non-playable capacity as stages. 

I also  had an idea way back for an Assist-Trophy-like item for All Stars Racing, which summons one of various characters not in the roster to aid the summoner out. Examples I gave included Vectorman and the kids from NiGHTS. But now with a full Sonic game, does that item sound like a good option for fan service with more characters? 

Man I hope we get some kind of confirmation about the specifics of building a team at E3. If we can get confirmation that they don't lock you to the default teams in every game mode (sonic/tails/knux ect) then we would be free to speculate about additional characters without actually having to mash them into groups of three. Some characters just don't fit into this rule of three.

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Man I hope we get some kind of confirmation about the specifics of building a team at E3. If we can get confirmation that they don't lock you to the default teams in every game mode (sonic/tails/knux ect) then we would be free to speculate about additional characters without actually having to mash them into groups of three. Some characters just don't fit into this rule of three.

Yeah, I hope there is the option to make custom team, even if certain types (power, speed, technique) are repeated within a group since I really detest any type of limitation in this type of games. Perhaps they should had gone with the more traditional style from previous games where you pick one racer and go against the rest, while making the team thing into more of a sub-mode for online multiplayer as I'd prefer human team mates over babysitting AI's.

Also agree on the groups of three thing since either it forces characters that don't make sense, or excludes those that do. Really don't want to think that the team gimmick was added by ST's suggestion just to further push the "classic trio" (which already is found everywhere), given how I detested a lot of the arbitrary impositions placed on the modern franchise on both skill types  and character interactions ever since Sonic Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Mania reps could.. no. SHOULD be "The boys. Those dudes" AKA Nack, Bean and Bark. I mean, it's perfect. Nack is speed, Bean is tech and Bark is power. Team Hooligan.

I mean, Classic Sonic is cool and all, but he's still Sonic. Mighty will suffer from the same issue as Ristar, from behind he will just be a red ball. And Ray? Eh.

Also, there should be a Team Mecha. Metal Sonic, one of the Heavies and... Gamma? Awesome fan-service that would be. Please, Sumo!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I'm nothing but excited about this. Especially after hearing Laura Kate talk about it on Podquisition this week.

Honestly, I can't imagine they would be stupid enough to force players to conform to pre-established teams.  I mean, it's supposedly gonna be a 12 player online multiplayer game, they HAVE to give players the freedom to choose who they want to play as, and they HAVE to account for the fact that players aren't necessarily gonna pick 4 complete pre-established teams.

As far as guessing who could be in the game, I'm gonna say maybe, instead of trying to cram more complete predefined teams into your prediction/wish lists, you should instead focus on putting together an even spread of character types.  Focus on the characters themselves instead of trying to make arbitrary groups out of them.

15 characters, 3 categories.  6 fully confirmed characters, 2 rumored.  2 Speed, 3 Power, 3 Technique, allegedly.  So we apparently need 3 more Speeds, 2 more Powers and 2 more Techniques.  Doesn't seem too hard.

Not necessarily; it could work where the chosen character dictated the teams (so if 2 players chose characters from one team, and 2 other players chose characters from another two teams, it'd be 2 v 1 v 1). 

I would cross-reference CNK to see how it was handled there...but that reverted to individual racing in MP (with only the players on the track, not CPU), and I don't know if that could even apply here given that the team mechanic won't be dropped for MP. 

5 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Really don't want to think that the team gimmick was added by ST's suggestion just to further push the "classic trio" (which already is found everywhere),

Iziuka has given an interview or two stating that the idea was inspired by the recent wave of team-based games like Overwatch. I'm willing to believe him, if only because the game industry is all about chasing trends and the successes of that trend is second only to Battle Royal at the moment.

I am a bit gunshy about them locking character choices to certain teams though. While it was something from a diffrent developer, we saw characters locked to specific events in some of the Olympics games. It makes no sense then and it makes even less sense now. I just feel like this is a design choice bullet the guys at SUMO need to have dodged if this game even wants to get off the ground.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe there is a preset mode,  a custom team mode(where you still follow the formula),  a no rules mode(where you can just pick 3 people regardless of Type and go), and then Mayhem(random course,  random team; you may,  or may not follow the Team formula. 

HOPEFULLY.

Mario and Sonic's portable stuff probably got limited due to hardware; Not only did M&S London 3DS have the team Hero, team Anti, team Wild etc. stuff to limit assets needed for events, M&S Rio 3DS doubled down on this, making Sonic playable in every event but giving every other 2 events if they were series veterans, 1 if they were new.

TSR wouldn't have that issue at least, it's just how strict Sonic Team want the team boundaries followed. 

29 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Iziuka has given an interview or two stating that the idea was inspired by the recent wave of team-based games like Overwatch. I'm willing to believe him, if only because the game industry is all about chasing trends and the successes of that trend is second only to Battle Royal at the moment.

I am a bit gunshy about them locking character choices to certain teams though. While it was something from a diffrent developer, we saw characters locked to specific events in some of the Olympics games. It makes no sense then and it makes even less sense now. I just feel like this is a design choice bullet the guys at SUMO need to have dodged if this game even wants to get off the ground.

Thing is, this ain't Overwatch, this is Sonic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I think we'll be able to mix team members, but they will always have to fill the speed, tech and power condition. So a Sonic/Shadow/Knuckles team, for example, is a no-no. Hopefully there's an arcade mode where we can fuck around and have 3 speed members on the same team, or better yet, don't force us into this bs and just play like a traditional racer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

So, is it true that TSR is canon to the series?

Just like the Riders series so yes (Free Riders confirms that the Riders series is canon to the main games).

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Just like the Riders series so yes (Free Riders confirms that the Riders series is canon to the main games).

Really? How?

2 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Really? How?

At first  I thought Riders was set in the future or another dimension, but then Free Riders came and confirms that Babylon Rogues exist in the main world and know Sonic's other friends.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

So, is it true that TSR is canon to the series?

Not sure yet. But whether we’ll see “Donpa” again after this is unlikely.