Awoo.

The Sonic the Hedgehog Multiverse

Big Panda

WOW!! This is impressive.

I've not read anything too much outside of Spider-Man (comic book wise)and there are so many iterations of that now it's boarder line crazy and something I'm not a big fan of.

You've clearly gone into a ton of detail here and that alone has to be applauded. Multiverses , alternate timelines - and realities are I think something that has to be kept in check in any story as they can clearly get out of hand. If its something simple like the mirror universe in Star Trek popping up every once in a while that isn't so bad , but I'm hoping Ian and his team keep out of this territory for the IDW  comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, someone had a lot of free time. First, my suggestion how to improve it.

Spoiler

1) You could make it easier to read, like grouping them nicer.

2) If time travel makes a new Zone (like 06, Satam) then aren't you worried about Sonic CD? Or anytime Silver mentions him future? That's countless new zones.

3)  I'm pretty sure there are more Sol Dimensions. Like Zone 1386 has Blaze, so it needs her own Sol Dimension. Or IDW.

But overall I don't share your excitement with the multiverse. It just sorta exists, I fail to see the magic. You can make two Sonics crossover, you can make an army of them crossover and that's all possibilities it gives. DC, Marvel, TMNT, every multiverse is pretty much the same.

Also speaking of TMNT, both 2003 and 2012 cartoon had crossover with 1987 cartoon, yet both times 1987 Turtles acted like it's their first time. Should I count it as some kind of very similar extra zone? Problems like that are easy to make every time Marvel brings 2099 universe back or starts new crossover with DC, which ignores previous ones.

• Thumbs Up 2

There is already a multiverse that is "canon" if you want to agree that Sonic has a sort of stable canon:

Modern Animal World

Modern Human World (has a portal that connects it with the animal world)

Classic Animal World (Classic Sonic crosses over with the modern world during Gens and Forces)

Special Zone/ World

SOL Dimension/ World

Boom World (separate franchise and continuity)

*please picture me standing and clapping*

Impressive, really really impressive, i'd give you two PRRROOOOMOTIOONS if i could.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

There is already a multiverse that is "canon" if you want to agree that Sonic has a sort of stable canon:

Modern Animal World

Modern Human World (has a portal that connects it with the animal world)

Classic Animal World (Classic Sonic crosses over with the modern world during Gens and Forces)

Special Zone/ World

SOL Dimension/ World

Boom World (separate franchise and continuity)

There’s also the Storybooks. 

• Nice Smile 1

Pretty good. Personally I always like to imagine that Archie Mobius being the Primary reality was a cosmic mistake and the Super Genesis Wave was realities way to fix the problem.

• Fist Bump 1

I would have preferred the story books to be completely different dimensions (like sol dimension) with new characters instead of Sonic characters with clothes.

Like, I would have loved an animal version of Gawain, not Knuckles with clothes!

Like imagine if they did the storybook route for Sonic Rush, we would never have Blaze, but Amy with a crown!

For me, it's a lost opportunity.

God I remember how Archie Sonic had no many stupid parody zones(universes)as part of their multiverse. Sally Moon was very fucking stupid.

I remember that someone on Bumbleking joked about those zones getting destroyed during Eggman Nega's war with the Zone Cops.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I would have preferred the story books to be completely different dimensions (like sol dimension) with new characters instead of Sonic characters with clothes.

Like, I would have loved an animal version of Gawain, not Knuckles with clothes!

Like imagine if they did the storybook route for Sonic Rush, we would never have Blaze, but Amy with a crown!

For me, it's a lost opportunity.

But Sonic Rush wasn't based on a traditional legend or fairy-tale, so a Storybook take on it wouldn't have made any sense.  Ideally, the appeal of the Storybooks should come from the comparisons and contrasts between familiar storybook figures and the Sonic characters representing them, and I think a good plot would mine some interesting material from the juxtapositions.

• Thumbs Up 1

@MetalSkulkBane I’m pretty sure it said somewhere that Little Planet’s time stream is completely seperate from the rest of Sonic’s world, so their alternate timelines would be pocket zones (in the same vein as the Special Zone) in my view.

Also, I’m not taking Blaze existing in one canon as solid proof that it has a Sol Zone of its own. While it’s a safe bet the IDW canon does have a Sol Zone, I’m not putting it on the list until it’s formerly introduced.

• Nice Smile 1

I have my own headcanons about it. Namely that a lot more realities than just Archie ones were destroyed, and the universe is now headed for a “Big Crunch”, with universes combining into one. And you also forgot the Lord Eggman world and Steve’s destroyed world. Maybe the Richard Kuta film proposal should be here.

• 1 year later...

I think I recently saw Sonic Retro saying this website had an interview with Ian Flynn who said the another time another place continuity of the Archie comics takes place in the game canon, and it's apart of Archie Sonic's Multiverse, so technically Game Sonic does exist in Archie Sonic.

37 minutes ago, Semajar said:

I think I recently saw Sonic Retro saying this website had an interview with Ian Flynn who said the another time another place continuity of the Archie comics takes place in the game canon, and it's apart of Archie Sonic's Multiverse, so technically Game Sonic does exist in Archie Sonic.

It does because it's canon to the post-reboot archie

1 hour ago, Semajar said:

Ian may say that, but the game adaptations featured in the ATAP universe differ slightly from the games themselves, so it’s a different reality as far as I’m concerned.

Very extensive list.

Sonic Chronicles should count as a separate universe. It’s set in the near future and doesn’t touch the main timeline. Also it’ll never be finished.

• Thumbs Up 1

So after some research, I found out this website actually interview Ian Flynn on the Another Time Another Place special comics and he confirms it takes place in the game canon, specifically all the stories which would include the one Sonic and the Black Knight adaption which is a zone of Archie Sonic, so I guess the games do take place in the Multiverse of Archie. I'll link the interview for you: https://www.sonicstadium.org/2010/11/sonic-colors-adaption-interview-sonic-writer-ian-flynn/

Advanced issues found

TSS: This is…I believe the third game adaption in the book to use the setting “Another Time, Another Place”.
Do these stories all take place in the same universe?

IF: They could be – call it the “SegaSonic Universe” if you like.  Or they could each be their own zone.  It’s entirely up to the preference of the reader.

TSS: Are these stories basically meant to take place in the game canon?

IF: More or less, but it varies from project to project.  The “Sonic and the Black Knight” tie-in was almost shot-for-shot, word-for-word the opening sequence so it’s obviously the same thing.  “Sonic Colors” will be a little more liberal, but it’s still true to the source, so you can take it as a retelling or a synopsis.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cool. But I’m still counting ATAP and the game universes as separate because the game scenes adapted in ATAP still have many differences from the games themselves.

I’m also counting all the ATAP stories as being in a single universe because it’s just easier that way