lulzers

What If There Was a Truly Cruel Sonic Villain?

While we've already had guys like Infinite and Mephiles, what if Sonic was introduced to a baddie that is evil not only on a grand scale like Eggman, but also on a personal level? Someone who inflicts severe physical and emotional pain on Sonic and his friends sometimes even to the brink of despair?

Do you think a villain this sadistic could work? Or is that going too far?

While I think the idea in itself is sound I reckon it maybe a bit too dark for Sonics current tone. Buy hey , never say never. We just got got official Sanic T-shirts for crying out loud so anything is on cards at this point.

We already have many cruel villains.

Pushing cruelty to absurd levels (some kind of psychos that get euphory from making people suffer) is just begging for trouble and whining that "sonic goes too far'.

I don't think Sonic can allow himself for Joker/Master(doctor who) kind of villain.

As you said, like Mephiles and Infinite, and other non-Eggman villains, there have already been villains like that. But there are limits to how far they could go, because.. still Sonic

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I don't think Sonic can allow himself for Joker

That's kinda what Archie Eggman was like a lot of the time.

Considering that current (and arguably past) Sonic Team can't write a consistent and well-thought-out character arc to save their lives, I'd say definitely no thanks to a cruel sadistic baddie - stuff like that needs good writing, and ST straight-up just doesn't have that at the moment (and probably won't in the near future).

That and, y'know, this is a videogame series for kids. Target audience is absolutely a thing innit.

1 hour ago, Ayliffe said:

Considering that current (and arguably past) Sonic Team can't write a consistent and well-thought-out character arc to save their lives, I'd say definitely no thanks to a cruel sadistic baddie - stuff like that needs good writing, and ST straight-up just doesn't have that at the moment (and probably won't in the near future).

That and, y'know, this is a videogame series for kids. Target audience is absolutely a thing innit.

What if this was a comic villain?

I think going too sadistic feels out of place in a brightly-colored cartoon mascot franchise for children. Not saying you can't have ""darker"" villains like, I dunno, Eggman Nega or (comics-wise) Dark Enerjak, but a villain that inflicts "severe pain" on Sonic and co. is a bit much, if you ask me. It'd depend how it's handled, of course, but you still shouldn't go too far with a generally upbeat series like this.

As for Eggman, I'd rather not have him go all grimdark Joker like in Archie, since I think it creates an awkward situation of "if Eggman is THAT cruel and takes such sadistic pleasure in harming and torturing people personally, why doesn't Sonic just take him out permanently?" Not saying he can't be kind of "darker" at times, but I don't think Eggman is that cruel, he's not Nega. He'll shatter the crust with a laser from orbit, not because he intends to murder people, but because it's the quickest way to access the giant monster living inside the earth. The danger comes more from his arrogance and carelessness, not his shock value sadism. And then Sonic is capable of undoing all the damage anyway without leaving behind some guy Eggman paralyzed for his own amusement and locked inside a box without Sonic knowing. 

5 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

We already have that. While Eggman is goofy, he can also be very cruel.

RCO021.jpg

Ah, that issue... Brings me back when I actually enjoyed reading the comic...

Darkness is something relative. Bad execution on the games always did turn the villain into a total joke. When I look at Mephiles and Infinite, I feel like laughing.

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

We have another dark villain, very cruel I think. I don't know how they accepted him in the comic:

Maw the thylacine

77cf391d0a17926d0fcfce27d5be69db25eb2ffa

He doesn't capture or imprison his enemies, he just exterminates them:

latest?cb=20160525212722

1493266458726.gif

What's interesting about that scene is that while we're led to believe he ate the Buzzers, you can actually see three falling objects in the background.

For that to happen the single game they’re featured in would need to be dark. Which is something that the Sonic series has proved time after time that they cannot do well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

(I think these are only badniks though, so he's not that evil)

Psh, on the next Panel, Nephy questions Maw about the final fate of the mobini's trapped inside of those badniks (cause she's got a heart of gold when it comes to that) and he replies with a devious smirk and a shush gesture.

Combine that with his enthusiasm to test out the next-generation robotisizer, and Maw was rounding out to be quite the sadistic little dude. I would have liked to see him develop.

Other than that, Archie Eggman does a fantastic job of going to that edge of sadistic evil-ness without compromising who he is as a character. His game mentality is as sick and twisted as they come.

279.thumb.png.cba8493d29b884f18aa072005992f4b0.png

I mean Jesus Christ he's literally playing with lives here. A little girls life no less. And he's got so much swagger, so much confidence in his ability to keep Clove under his thumb that he is willing to tell her to her face knowing full well there is nothing she can do about the unbearable pain and suffering he's making her endure. Knowing full well that she now will have to carry this burden and go on to lie to her sister.

He does this to all of his underlings. He revels in it. Their pain, their suffering, He enjoys it. And those are the people that are on HIS SIDE!

It doesn't get any more evil than that.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

We have another dark villain.

Maw the thylacine

77cf391d0a17926d0fcfce27d5be69db25eb2ffa

He doesn't capture or imprison his enemies, he just exterminates them:

(I think these are only badniks though, so he's not that evil)

latest?cb=20160525212722

Well.. they're just robots. You can't really capture robots.

7 minutes ago, Razule said:

Well.. they're just robots. You can't really capture robots.

But what about the animals inside them?

Even in the games, Eggman showed evilness.

In SA1, he wanted to nuke Station Square after a breakdown!

And when Perfect Chaos is unleashed, he tries to beat him, not to save the city, but just because Chaos turned on him!

And in SA2 he threatens Amy with a gun, and successfully drops Sonic into orbit.

Even in Lost World, he randomly uses his conch to torture his "conquests" the deadly Six.

When talking about monstrous, yet three-dimensional villains, I think of guys like Emperor Palpatine, Frieza, and the Lich from Adventure Time. That's the kind of darker villain I'd want to see.

22 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Even in Lost World, he randomly uses his conch to torture his "conquests" the deadly Six.

...he used a magic shell a few times to give the Zeti headaches for a couple seconds. I don't think this is really on the same level as the handful of Game!Eggman's "dark" moments like launching a nuke or Archie!Eggman paralyzing a dude for half a century and locking him in a box.