lulzers

Who Owns Who?

I've heard rumors about the rights about non-game Sonic characters being split up between Sega and whatever company produced them. But which characters does Sega actually own and they don't? (Such as AoStH, SatAM, OVA, Underground, X, Fleetway, Archie, etc.)

Heck if I know.

From my understanding Sega should own everything, maybe except

1 Many Archie Preboot characters (that's obvious part, just look at Penders)

2 Possibly Fleetway Sonic might be owned by Eggmont now. I think no one is sure of that at this point.

Probably Sega just doesn't care about old those old characters. It's fine by me, I really don't need Scourge or Nicole in games. Maybe in comics, but that's longer story...

15 minutes ago, lulzers said:

What about original characters from the OVA and X?

I'd be surprised if they didn't own the OVA characters, a straightforward project like that was probably handled much more tightly than a long-running thing like Archie.

Sonic X I'm sure they must own, artwork from it continues to appear in modern ports of the mission mode in Sonic Adventure (I assume anyway, that mode is kinda dull so I've never played it since the Gamecube version lol).

I would think that Sega has the final say on most of that but maybe there would be royalties to be paid.

WWE has a similar problem. Most of their wrestler entrance themes are owned by WWE but certain songs were maybe outsourced and made by other people. There have been instances in the past where they've refrained from using old songs to avoid having to pay royalty and rights fees. So, even though they "Own" them they didn't necessarily create them all and it can get a little messy. I presume that this could be the same case for SEGA here.

33 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't own the OVA characters, a straightforward project like that was probably handled much more tightly than a long-running thing like Archie.

Sonic X I'm sure they must own, artwork from it continues to appear in modern ports of the mission mode in Sonic Adventure (I assume anyway, that mode is kinda dull so I've never played it since the Gamecube version lol).

Me too. On the other hand, Sonic Mania had some OVA references and there was never any legal problems.

Also Sega owns the company that produced Sonic X, so yeah.

It’d be great if we had official sources or something that shows who owns what instead of leaving people to guess it out if they’re confused.

Not gonna lie, even I trip over the details of who owns what at times.

On 04/04/2018 at 8:11 AM, JezMM said:

Actually, the images of X were replaced in the most recent versions of SADX. The most obvious reason would be due to the fact that they were only put in the game to advertise X in the first place, as it was relevant back then. As the changes are nothing but the most basic of texture replacements, it makes sense to swap them put as necessary.

Like you, I also never touch mission mode because it's as dull as the winter sky in Scotland. So I can't tell you what the replacement pictures are.

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Actually, the images of X were replaced in the most recent versions of SADX. The most obvious reason would be due to the fact that they were only put in the game to advertise X in the first place, as it was relevant back then. As the changes are nothing but the most basic of texture replacements, it makes sense to swap them put as necessary.

Like you, I also never touch mission mode because it's as dull as the winter sky in Scotland. So I can't tell you what the replacement pictures are.

On a side note, Shadow's Inhibitor Rings originated from Sonic X.