Awoo.

Disgaea 5 (PS4/Switch, Steam - May 2018), Disgaea Refine (remake of 1, PS4/Switch - July 2018)

Sean

http://store.steampowered.com/app/803600/Disgaea_5_Complete__5/

Last year there was an ESRB listing that pointed towards a PC release, but nothing was announced until today.

As the "Complete" moniker suggests, the Switch and Steam versions of Disgaea 5 come with all of the DLC for the PS4 version. So it's like the PSP/Vita versions of the previous numbered installments, except without any additional bonus content (such as Etna/Axel/Raspberyl modes). I am certainly picking this up since I currently don't have a Switch and physical copies appear to be out of print.

Be cool to have a new Disgaea game instead of just playing the same ones from 15 years ago.

This is actually one of my favorite and most played games on Switch. I highly recommend it for anyone who doesn't have/want it on PS4 or Switch!

Hopefully the remaining Disgaea titles and some other tied-titles to them (Makai Kingdom or La Pucelle Tactics) will eventually be ported as well. Good to see NiS willing to have Steam versions of its flagship titles.

Disgaea 5 coming after 1 and 2 doesn't rule out any older Disgaea (or Disgaea-related) titles from being ported in the future.

I'm not holding my breath that La Pucelle will see a release since I believe rights to that title are still being held by Mastiff.

The major non-pure Disgaea titles i'd want the most are Makai Kingdom, La Pucelle Tactics and Soul Nomad, especially since they have not yet recieved any new rereleases in the west after the original PS2 one. But yeah, some of them do have right problems, although it's been more than 10 years so i don't know if it's still valid or not.
The Prinny PSP games were also a lot of fun, i hope to see them as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Been wanting to play this one for awhile! Don't have a PS4 or Switch, so this is great to hear! : D

Be cool if they do Makai Kingdom too someday.... That one was of my fave games by the company. I love Zetta & Pram a lot. hohoo!

17 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

The major non-pure Disgaea titles i'd want the most are Makai Kingdom, La Pucelle Tactics and Soul Nomad, especially since they have not yet recieved any new rereleases in the west after the original PS2 one. But yeah, some of them do have right problems, although it's been more than 10 years so i don't know if it's still valid or not.
The Prinny PSP games were also a lot of fun, i hope to see them as well.

You know I'd like to point out some weird irony. Makai Kingdom and La Pucelle have PSP re-releases in Japan as part of an anniversary or something. Guess what game we got out of that here in the West?

Rhapsody a Musical Adventure on the DS. Granted it updated the gameplay but they took out the vocal songs which I didn't like since they didn't use a good sound card and its weird without the singing. I digress though since I'm point out weird things.

Anyways on the topic at hand. Disgaea 5 is pretty "ehhhh" for me personally. Maybe I'm becoming an old man already but I didn't like the main cast this time around outside of Usalia and Christo nor did the story did anything for me. And I feel like they added a lot of stuff to keep track of like weapon resistances that are kind of superficial due to basic stats being king as always. Its easy to break though like D2 since the Cheat Shop is still around. My characters were way too overleveled compared to the final boss of the game because of that. Oh and the lack of cameos outside of DLC do hurt it somewhat if you did character about the continunity between games however...

Spoiler

You can literally get all the boss characters sans the final boss in the Post Game. This is actually a first for a Disgaea game.

Its still a solid game but it kind of feels like another Disgaea to me, especially compared to how much fun 4 was. I'm glad its coming to Steam though since more people can experience Disgaea.  Its my personal thoughts on the game from my experience from it.

With that said though I'll admit having Zombie Maids is the best thing ever and I hope they come back in a future game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guess what game we got out of that here in the West?

Rhapsody a Musical Adventure on the DS. Granted it ruined everything about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Sean said:

Not Disgaea 5 related, but a remake of 1 called Disgaea Refine will be coming to Switch and PS4 this summer. As of yet, no screenshots, no improvement details, nada.

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/306701-disgaea-refine-announced-for-switch

Needs a Steam release.

158px-D1_Flonne_09_Bust.jpg

"Wow.......awesome!!"

Refine? I sure hope that means HD Sprites and other visual and game play improvements. I've always enjoyed Takehito Harada's art style and character designs, but seeing the original cast redrawn as they originally appeared would be nice. His style has gotten even more colourful over the years.

Although I wonder if they'd redo the dialogue for/if it gets a western release. Flonne's second dub actress has got nothing on her original. If they wanted to remake all the disgaea games for Switch, I wouldn't complain. They can skip over two though...guh, I can't freakin' stand Adell.

(On a related note, I'd also love to see Makai Kingdom, La Pucelle and Soul Nomad get some more modern love.)