Awoo.

Timeline/Dimension list (Classic/Modern)

rid1ey

I'm looking for a list (to print) with the games in chronological order separated as Classic/Modern... (with my current understanding that Generations/Forces involves 'Dimension' jumping)

( much like one I created in this link for another Sega series ) https://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42878

i'm sure topics like this have been done to death but because reasons i'm looking to streamline and (pluck) the series into a two dimensional continuity.

Correction on the chronological order (and anything else for that matter!) is welcome, thanks

Classic Dimension

SegaSonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic CD

Tails Adventure

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic Chaos

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Sonic Triple Trouble

Knuckles Chaotix

Sonic Fighters

Sonic Drift

Sonic Drift 2

Sonic Mania Plus

Modern Dimension

Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 ep1

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 ep 2

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Advance

Sonic Advance 2

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Battle

Sonic Heroes

Sonic Advance 3

Sonic Rush

Sonic Rush Adventure

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic Colours

Sonic Generations

Sonic Lost World

Sonic Forces

• Nice Smile 1

Mostly works, but a few things that are a little off. There's nothing to indicate the SegaSonic arcade game being a prequel to Sonic 1. Sure, it can take place just about anytime, but I feel that if the intention was for it to be a prequel to the entire series, they'd probably have said so. Any game with Eggman in it can't really fit between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3, since he'd be on Angel Island repairing the Death Egg. Sonic Triple Trouble is a weird one - in the Japanese release (Sonic & Tails 2) the manual's story describes Knuckles as being a stranger to Sonic, so it doesn't seem like it was intended to be in continuity with the mainline games.

Sonic Advance 1 and 2 were released after Sonic Adventure 2. In Adventure 2, Tails has a Chaos Emerald he was awarded for his heroism in Adventure 1. Sonic Battle has to take place after Sonic Heroes, since it features Shadow and makes a reference to Omega. One of the games you missed out is "Shadow the Hedgehog", which ties up some loose ends from Sonic Heroes. Since Shadow is still trying to regain his memories, his game would have to take place after Sonic Heroes but before Sonic Battle.

Basically all of the Game Gear games are a colossal headache for continuity.

Sonic 1 8-bit is easy enough since it’s just an alternate treatment of the 16-bit version.

Sonic 2 8-bit would have to take place after its 16-bit counterpart since Tails is in Sonic’s life by this point. However the game only has the first six Chaos Emeralds even though the seventh was introduced in its counterpart.

Sonic Chaos has the same problems; Tails is there, but only six emeralds. Plus the plot (or one of them, there are different ones) contradicts basically every other game by saying the Chaos Emeralds have to be in a cave on South Island or it will sink into the ocean.

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Basically all of the Game Gear games are a colossal headache for continuity.

Sonic 1 8-bit is easy enough since it’s just an alternate treatment of the 16-bit version.

Sonic 2 8-bit would have to take place after its 16-bit counterpart since Tails is in Sonic’s life by this point. However the game only has the first six Chaos Emeralds even though the seventh was introduced in its counterpart.

Sonic Chaos has the same problems; Tails is there, but only six emeralds. Plus the plot (or one of them, there are different ones) contradicts basically every other game by saying the Chaos Emeralds have to be in a cave on South Island or it will sink into the ocean.

I'd advise you treat the Game Gear games as their own continuity.

Another thing, even though it’s a classic game, Sonic CD occurred in some form in the modern timeline.

Not only was Sonic 4 EpII directly influenced by it, but it’s directly referenced by an NPC in the Japanese version of Adventure 1.

Doesn’t generations technically take place in both dimensions as well?(or at least, it was a event that classic sonic himself went through)

7 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Another thing, even though it’s a classic game, Sonic CD occurred in some form in the modern timeline.

Not only was Sonic 4 EpII directly influenced by it, but it’s directly referenced by an NPC in the Japanese version of Adventure 1.

Which NPC? What so they say?

It was a little boy in Station Square. His line in English was a generic “Is it true you once saved the entire world?” but the Japanese equivalent specifically brings up Little Planet and Angel Island. @Speeps covered it on her Tumblr a while back, but I can’t find the post right just now.

15 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

It was a little boy in Station Square. His line in English was a generic “Is it true you once saved the entire world?” but the Japanese equivalent specifically brings up Little Planet and Angel Island. @Speeps covered it on her Tumblr a while back, but I can’t find the post right just now.

Here's the post(s) in question:

http://speeps-highway.tumblr.com/post/161663191085/kurohaai-click-on-pictures-to-see-the

http://speeps-highway.tumblr.com/post/161894919845/oh-yeah-if-anyones-wondering-the-e3-trials

tumblr_orjr0gpszo1tzzngso1_500.png&key=5

tumblr_orjr0gpszo1tzzngso2_500.png&key=a

• Thumbs Up 7

thanks for all the replies - appreciated. A separate 8 bit continuity ( as a spin off ) makes perfect sense. I know about the Knuckles Chaotix retcon but it COULD have occurred in Classic Dimension maybe? Also, Sonic Fighters, where would that be ideally placed in the Classic Dimension? I will tweek my list and post it here - thanks again for your input! 

Classic Dimension

SegaSonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic CD

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Knuckles Chaotix

Sonic Fighters

Sonic Mania Plus

8 - Bit Dimension

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic Chaos/Sonic and Tails

Sonic Drift

Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble/ Sonic and Tails 2

Sonic Drift 2

Tails' Skypatrol

Tails Adventure

Sonic Labyrinth

Sonic Blast

Modern Dimension

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 ep1

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Advance

Sonic Advance 2

Sonic Heroes

Sonic Battle

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic Advance 3

Sonic Rush

Sonic Rush Adventure

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic Colours

Sonic Generations

Sonic Lost World

Sonic Forces

You forgot to swap Shadow and Battle around.

Also Tails Adventure takes place before Tails met Sonic according to the Japanese(?) manual.

Here are the games that you left out so far (to help you along):

-Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car (classic)

-That other arcade game where Sonic’s in a spaceship (can’t for the life of me remember what it’s called; classic)

-Sonic 3D (classic)

-Sonic R (classic; Sega actually still considers this canon, according to Ian Flynn)

-Sonic Shuffle (modern; I personally place it between the Adventures, but that’s just me)

-Sonic Pinball Party (modern; it does have a story, somewhat)

-Sonic 06 (modern; at least put it where it would have taken place before the past was changed)

-Sonic Rivals series (modern; have fun deciding where it goes in relation to the Rush series)

-The storybook games (modern)

-Sonic Riders games

-Sonic Chronicles (modern; put it as “in the future”)

-Sonic Jump (modern; the first one does have a story)

-Sonic Runners/Adventure (modern)

thanks for your help

Classic Dimension

SegaSonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic CD

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Knuckles Chaotix

Sonic Fighters

Sonic Mania Plus

8 - Bit Dimension

Sonic the Hedgehog

Tails Adventure

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic and Tails

Sonic Drift

Sonic and Tails 2

Sonic Drift 2

Tails' Skypatrol

Sonic Labyrinth

Modern Dimension

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 ep1

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Advance

Sonic Advance 2

Sonic Heroes

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic Battle

Sonic Advance 3

Sonic Rush

Sonic Rush Adventure

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic Colours

Sonic Generations

Sonic Lost World

Sonic Forces

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

19 hours ago, MainJP said:

Oh wow, that's so awesome. How could they remove that from the English version? (I think the English version did make reference to Angel Island but not Little Planet).

Here's my take on things:

Spoiler

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)

Sonic CD

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Point of Divergence:

Classic Sonic is not sent to White Space

Classic Sonic is sent to White Space

Sonic Advance

Sonic Generations (Classic)

Sonic Adventure

Sonic 4*

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Mania

Sonic Advance 2

Sonic Forces (Classic)

Sonic Heroes

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic Battle

Sonic Advance 3

Sonic Riders

Point of Divergence:

Solaris Project prevented

Solaris Project occurs

Sonic Rivals**

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)**

Sonic Rivals 2**

Sonic Rush**

Sonic and the Secret Rings

Sonic Rush Adventure**

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic and the Black Knight

Sonic Free Riders

Sonic Colors

Sonic Generations (Modern)

Sonic Lost World

Sonic Forces (Modern)

Sonic Chronicles

* I'm putting Sonic 4 in the Classic timeline mainly because Mania's ending, with Little Planet being saved, feels like it was kind of supposed to resolve the cliffhanger from Episode 2.

** I'm operating on the assumption that Nega found his way to the Sol dimension after being trapped in the Ifrit's dimension in Rivals 2. Blaze ,I'm assuming, was either put there as a result of her sealing Iblis and the timeline resetting or her role in '06 is simply non-canon given that her only real contribution, sealing Iblis, was ultimately redundant, even within the context of the game's own self-contained story.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

thanks for your input. 

The 'Classic' stories still hold up in the Modern Dimension though in the Modern World ( ...with Modern designs ) so they are inserted before Pocket Adventure/Sonic 4 in the Modern Timeline. 

Your Timeline/Divergence Chart is really cool by the way! 

My own canon:

Classic timeline: Sonic 1 - 2 - CD - 3&K - Generations (crossover, paradox causes the existence of this timeline) - Mania - Forces (crossover) - Mania Adventures.

Modern timeline: Sonic 1 - 2 - CD - 3&K - Adventure - Adventure 2 - Heroes - Shadow - Battle - Sonic 2006 (events erased) - Rush - Rush Adventure - Rivals - Secret Rings (as confirmed by Sonic) - Unleashed - Black Knight - Colors - Generations (crossover), Lost World, Forces (crossover).

Possible canon: the Riders series, the Advance series.

Non canon: Classic spin-offs, Sonic 4, Rivals 2, Chronicles, crossovers with other franchises.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 years later...