Awoo.

Sega Ages Collection (Switch)

Badnik Mechanic

2 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I really think Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot, for not having a Genesis Collection on Switch. They’d rather be greedy, and have the games sold separately on the eshop...

While Nintendo is the licensee, I don't think they have any actual control over what Sega makes and chooses to put on the Switch. I think you're pointing the finger at the wrong party, here.

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

For what it's worth, Puyo Tsu was later released as standalone with an additional mode that let you play through matches with every single foe in the game.

I'm checking the 3DS e-shop right now and I can't find it - was this a regional thing? 

55 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

For what it's worth, Puyo Tsu was later released as standalone with an additional mode that let you play through matches with every single foe in the game. Same with Power Drift - the standalone release of that added a SEGA All Stars Racing mode. 

Ironically we didn't get that release, so still the other Japanese releases still top it with stuff like cutscenes, Nazo Puyo/Practice modes or 4 player.

Again it's better than a straight up emulation, but many other versions have topped it as an 'enhanced' edition without even billing themselves as such, same for the Sonic ports (eg. Spin Dash/Tails flying backwards implemented, Time Attack mode, and new levels VS buggy spin dash and 'start with more rings' mode).

17 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Ironically we didn't get that release, so still the other Japanese releases still top it with stuff like cutscenes, Nazo Puyo/Practice modes or 4 player.

Again it's better than a straight up emulation, but many other versions have topped it as an 'enhanced' edition without even billing themselves as such, same for the Sonic ports (eg. Spin Dash/Tails flying backwards implemented, Time Attack mode, and new levels VS buggy spin dash and 'start with more rings' mode).

The only way the re-releases billed themselves as enhanced was the 3D moniker - which is true, as they were all converted to 3D.  

In fact, that's where a bulk of the effort in converting the games went, as can be gleaned from the interviews. Making stuff like the additional content and options in Space Harrier, OutRun, Fantasy Zone and the like more impressive. Makes me wonder if we'll see additional stuff now that focus is gone. 

21 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I'm checking the 3DS e-shop right now and I can't find it - was this a regional thing? 

Yeah, Japan only sadly

As said it's better than just the normal game emulated (though putting 3D above accurate sound and engine is a bit of a no-go for me) and I appreciate the Switch is getting some support in terms of downloadables given it seems to have ditched the Virtual Console. Just don't expect it to be like a big lineup of Taxman level super remakes.

8 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

As said it's better than nothing (though putting 3D above accurate sound and engine is a bit of a no-go for me) and I appreciate the Switch is getting some support in terms of downloadables given it seems to have ditched the Virtual Console. Just don't expect it to be like big super enhancements.

When "3D" is literally in the name and one of main gimmicks of the console, it's not exactly hard to see why they went for that. 

That and given they provided both Mega Drive 1 and Mega Drive 2 specific sound options, it's not like no thought was spared towards getting it sounding right (I haven't even noticed much of an issue with the sound, unless there's something major I'm missing here).

I don't expect huge enhancements, but I appreciate the edge being given over regular ports. Again, I'm not focused on Sonic here, because I fully admit that the Sonic 1/2 ports were the weakest. But I can also play Sonic on a million systems just fine if M2's really doesn't suffice anyway. The likes of Space Harrier, and the arcade titles in general really, have never been done as well as M2 does, and that's what I come to these ports for. That's why I'm annoyed to see M2 brushed off - just because Sonic was naff, suddenly the rest of their efforts are irrelevant. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The sound emulation wasn't awful (definitely nothing of ATGames quality) but there was some clear rough spots here and there that were hard on the ears. I would have taken just fine-tuning that basic over MD1 or MD2 modes.

As said it is definitely a benefit we're getting it. Hell M2's stuff made the small amount of major third party support the e shop had (there was next to no SEGA stuff on Wii U e shop besides the now gone Wii Shopping Channel).

I remember the Sega logo audio in 3D Sonic 2 being iffy, but was just fine in 3D Sonic 1 IIRC. Don't know why that was.

http://www.segadriven.com/2018/04/alex-kidd-in-miracle-world-and-gain-ground-join-sega-ages-for-switch-line-up/

Alex Kidd in Miracle World (SMS) and Gain Ground (Arcade) confirmed.

Also announced - Sonic 1 will include the rare Mega Play arcade version! Phantasy Star is based on the PS2 collection release, meaning it adds walk/run speed options, an FM/PSG toggle, a difficulty setting, and more.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Way Past Cool 1

Oooo, I'd love it if Sonic 2's arcade version was included too. I distinctly remember playing it at a dentist's office (of all things) once. That may have even been before I got Mega Collection and played through the whole game, now that I think about it...

Having the MegaPlay version available might actually be good for people who dislike Sonic 1 primarily due to Marble and Labyrinth Zone. I like those zones alright, but it'll be neat to try out a version of the game that only has the "speedier" levels.

and no Scrap Brain Zone act 3, thank GOD.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Also announced - Sonic 1 will include the rare Mega Play arcade version!

Wow, the Switch version is sounding even better.

The differences in the Mega-Play version as detailed on Retro:

The Mega Play version has a large number of differences from the Mega Drive game. First of all the second revision is used so the Scrolling clouds in Green Hill are present. However, cheat codes cannot be used. 1-ups have no effect and continues are increased by inserting quarters. There are also only four Zones: Green Hill Zone, Spring Yard zone, Star Light zone and Scrap Brain zone (which is missing its final act). Special Stages are also missing and jumping into the Giant Rings only cause you to disappear. The credit roll is not used. You can also enter your initials on the High Score screen if you get a game over, either by running out of lives or finishing the game. There is also a strictly enforced time limit unique to each level. If the level isn't completed by that time you will die and the timer will be reset.

Will be interesting to try the Mega-Play version!

3 hours ago, Celestia said:

Oooo, I'd love it if Sonic 2's arcade version was included too. I distinctly remember playing it at a dentist's office (of all things) once. That may have even been before I got Mega Collection and played through the whole game, now that I think about it...

Pray tell. What was so special about the arcade versions of Sonic games,  if I may ask?

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Omega-Sapphire said:

Pray tell. What was so special about the arcade versions of Sonic games,  if I may ask?

TheOcelot's post above yours summarizes all the different stuff about it. On Retro's page, the changes made to Sonic 2 are less diverse, with all zones accounted for. In short, the MegaPlay games (edit: just Sonic 1 apparently) are based around completing levels on time limits, which you can increase with quarters.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_(arcade_game)

• Thumbs Up 1

Reminder that originally, M2 intended to make *7* 3D Classics titles, spanning Arcade and Mega Drive 

By the end of the 3D Classics Project, they’d done about *29* titles, spanning Arcade, Mega Drive, Master System, and SG-1000 - all because the titles did so dang well. Plus as time went on, they dipped into the libraries of Treasure, and then straight up bought all of Technosoft’s IP and brought Thunder Force III to 3DS

With the Switch being more powerful, I genuinely believe they ain’t bluffing here. I now hope even moreso that these do well. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm interested by Saturn, if they can manage good quality replicas of the engine. Right now companies still struggle at basic emulation.

If this does keep up, it could surpass the Wii Shopping Channel's load (mostly MegaDrive and a few Arcade/Master System titles), ironically while Nintendo themselves barely release any of their old games for the Switch.

New M2 interview by Famitsu. There’s a Twitter thread there, but I’ll summarise some key points:

• Rieko Kodama (Phenix Rie) is now involved with the series! One of SEGA’s most important figures - a graphic designer on many early SEGA titles (including Sonic) and a producer on later games.

• A key goal of the project is global releases - many of the 3D Classics were either delayed in the West, or didn’t get released at all. 

• Now There Are No Limits on what consoles and stuff they can do, since the Switch is more powerful - but because of budget and schedule, it made more sense to cover titles they have experience with first.

• The games won’t necessarily be released in the order they were revealed. Thunder Force IV was playable at SEGA Fes, but the new mode was ported from the Saturn version by eyeballing it, which ain’t easy.

• Alex Kidd made a bunch of cameos in the 3D classics games, but then the line ended before they could actually do Miracle World. So he’s here from the get-go this time! 

• As already mentioned, Phantasy Star is based on the PS2 collection version - so walk speed adjustments, a difficulty select, FM/PSG toggle etc are all accounted for. 

• Sonic 1 retains the 3D Classics feature set (Spin Dash, Stage Select toggle) as well as adding the Mega Play arcade version. They’d like to add more features if they can!

• Gain Ground was worked on before the project was even greenlit - the arcade version’s vertical playing field can be accurately portrayed on a Tate Mode Switch (turned on its side). They’re also trying to find the location test version of the game, which supported 3 players.

• They plan to compensate for the lack of stereoscopic 3D by including more extra features than the 3D classics line.

• They want to do far more than just 15 games, and move onto new hardware, but the initial set of games has to sell first.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Way Past Cool 1

2 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:
Sonic 1 retains the 3D Classics feature set (Spin Dash, Stage Select toggle) as well as adding the Mega Play arcade version. They’d like to add more features if they can!

Image result for well there it is gif

That's pretty much confirmation that the Switch is getting the best version of Sonic 1 since the mobile remasters, Sonic Jam & the 3DS version. Glad I own a Switch! 

Perhaps M2 will add a time attack mode or playable Tails this time?

Funny how the PS4, Xb1 & Steam are getting a larger collection of Mega-Drive games than the Switch (to begin with) and yet the quality of the emulations on the Switch are gonna be more impressive-have better features. 

2 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:
• Now There Are No Limits on what consoles and stuff they can do, since the Switch is more powerful - but because of budget and schedule, it made more sense to cover titles they have experience with first.

• They want to do far more than just 15 games, and move onto new hardware, but the initial set of games has to sell first.

Hopefully they'll move on to SEGA CD & Saturn games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Da5G0o5X0AA6Lc5.jpg

There’s a new screenshot of Sonic 1’s port from Famitsu, showing the Spin Dash in action. What interesting though is it shows the ‘launch’ dust effect... which wasn’t actually in M2’s previous version of Sonic 1. Hopefully this means they’ve been back and tweaked the Spin Dash code so now you don’t take damage when charging. 

...or y’know, they could just throw the Drop Dash in there. :P 

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

...or y’know, they could just throw the Drop Dash in there. :P 

Doin' some research, and the fact that the plain jane spin-dash doesn't have any special launch animations for the dust cloud in any version (Mania included), I think we can confirm that M2 is either going above and beyond or that this is actually the drop-dash.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm wary to call the Drop Dash confirmed - since Phenix Rie is working on these, it could just be she felt like updating her old graphics work a bit. She mentions a similar sentiment with Phantasy Star in the interview. On the other hand, they do say they plan to add more features to Sonic 1 than those we already know... perhaps the interview was conducted before the feature was added, or it's being semi-hidden as a surprise? 

Also something I missed from the interview - the collection partially came about because Hideki Kamiya (PlatinumGames, Bayonetta) and Masahiro Sakurai (Sora, Super Smash Bros) really wanted the 3D Classics on a console. That's pretty great. 

If they fine tune the spin dash from the 3D classics build, that sounds like a fair deal.

I hope if it's built on an emulation that they fix the PAL slowdown too though.

Da4Y9jBW4AAIkqN.jpg

,Sega is listening to your requests, if you want a certain game to get the Ages treatment, let your voices be heard

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

23 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

• The games won’t necessarily be released in the order they were revealed. Thunder Force IV was playable at SEGA Fes, but the new mode was ported from the Saturn version by eyeballing it, which ain’t easy.

That''s ridiculous but cool lol. I'm definitely in for Thunder Force IV- Especially if they get rid of slowdown/sprite flicker and now that it's got the mode from the saturn version. The mega drive original is probably my favourite shooter ever and I'd love to have a portable version.

It's M2 so I have faith in the quality of the ports, but I hope the price isn't too bad and they choose more interesting games like Gain Ground rather than the usual trotted out SEGA titles.

As said above, I'd love it if they started doing some Saturn games as well.