Awoo.

Sega Ages Collection (Switch)

Badnik Mechanic

3 hours ago, Remy said:

That''s ridiculous but cool lol. I'm definitely in for Thunder Force IV- Especially if they get rid of slowdown/sprite flicker and now that it's got the mode from the saturn version. The mega drive original is probably my favourite shooter ever and I'd love to have a portable version.

It's M2 so I have faith in the quality of the ports, but I hope the price isn't too bad and they choose more interesting games like Gain Ground rather than the usual trotted out SEGA titles.

As said above, I'd love it if they started doing some Saturn games as well.

Horii-san of M2 has actually commented directly on a no-slowdown mode for TF4 on Twitter - they’re considering it, but it would take a fair amount of extra work as Technosoft actually tuned a few gameplay elements (such a bosses) to work in conjunction with the slowdown.

Apparently Gain Ground was prototyped on Switch before the AGES Project was even greenlit - they just reeeeally wanted to get it running in Tate Mode, haha

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Horii-san of M2 has actually commented directly on a no-slowdown mode for TF4 on Twitter - they’re considering it, but it would take a fair amount of extra work as Technosoft actually tuned a few gameplay elements (such a bosses) to work in conjunction with the slowdown.

That's an interesting detail!  I always think of the guy in the ruins stage with the massive shotgun blast that slows the whole game down- I'm sure the later stages had some bosses with similar gimmicks too.

On 4/16/2018 at 1:24 PM, Lanolin said:

Da4Y9jBW4AAIkqN.jpg

,Sega is listening to your requests, if you want a certain game to get the Ages treatment, let your voices be heard

Have a link to whatever page you screencap grabbed that image from? If this is legit, it's time to light up the hope for new NiGHTS and Dreams! B)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

More news regarding the Sonic 1 SEGA Ages Switch release. It's comining in August. Will indeed include the drop-dash as well as the spin-dash:

Original mode

Mode that you can enjoy mega drive version "Sonic the hedgehog". In the original version, stage selection, which was a tricky technique, can be used only by turning it on and off at startup. In addition, actions of "Drop Dash" added from "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" added from "Spin Dash" and "Sonic Mania" are also added (it is also possible to disable it by option setting). 

In addition, you can choose from the mega play version in addition to the normal Japanese version and overseas version of the game version. MegaPlay is a mega drive for a game center that arranges popular mega drive titles to play with arcades. It is a time attack game aiming at clearing the familiar stage with limited time, and you can enjoy condensing the thrill and the speed feeling of sonic with the stage composition with speed emphasis.

Screenshot 2: SEGA AGES Sonic the Hedgehog

Screenshot 3: SEGA AGES Sonic the Hedgehog

Ring Keep mode

Support mode added in 3DS version "3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2". Since you can always start with 10 rings from the start of the game, it is easy to make mistakes and return from the boss right after the start.

Screenshot 3: SEGA AGES Sonic the Hedgehog

Screenshot 4: SEGA AGES Sonic the Hedgehog

Challenge mode

Worldwide ranking mode competing for the time to clear "Green Hill Zone ACT 1".

Screenshot 5: SEGA AGES Sonic the Hedgehog

Screenshot 6: SEGA AGES Sonic the Hedgehog

Screenshot 7: SEGA AGES Sonic the Hedgehog

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, do you think there's a chance they could port the original NiGHTS?  Like, not the wonky PS2 version, but the original one?  I'd pay well over acceptable price for that.

• 1 month later...

The Japanese version of Sonic 1 SEGA AGES has been delayed until September 2018:

No word yet on when this is coming to Switch in Europe & NA.

• 3 weeks later...

More games have been announced for the SEGA Ages collection:

Out Run, Thunder Force, Colums II and Sonic 2.

I actually got my first taste of Out Run by playing it in Shenmue 2 :D

This version of Sonic 2 will also feature the drop-dash (and hopefully the Mega-Play version of Sonic 2 will be included).

Translated from the Jp site:

The new action "Drop Dash" added at Classic Sonic's latest work "Sonic Mania" is added in this work, following "SEGA AGES" version "Sonic the Hedgehog". Let's go through the familiar stage with new actions!

Online ranking in time attack mode is also available.

Of course, "Super Sonic mode" is also implemented in "SEGA AGES" version as well as "Ring keep" which was popular in the Nintendo 3DS version. "Supersonic mode" is a mode that Sonic can play with all chaos emeralds from the beginning. You can enjoy overwhelming speed and strength by transforming into super sonic with the power of chaos emerald.

In addition; Sonic 1 SEGA Ages now has a release date of 20th September for Japan:

• Thumbs Up 3

Awesome addition. I wish they had ported Sonic 1 remastered from mobile and added these new features, but it's cool anyway.

Btw, I didn't know about this Sega Ages thing. I like it more than the Sega Forever name they choose for mobile ports, and it seems a much better executed product. Really looking forward to getting a Switch on Christmas with games like Sonic Mania or this Ages.

While the Sonic 2 port doesn't sound bad, it bugs me that the Taxman remaster seems to be the only re-release of Sonic 2 that bothers to enhance the parts people expect from the beginning (eg. Tails' fly ability, expanded 2 player, Knuckles lock-on mode). Is there any real reason to play as Tails given they've only boosted Sonic in this version?

I legitimately can't stand playing any version of Sonic 2 that isn't the Taxman version. So I probably won't get it. Hell, the MegaPlay version (if they do include it) isn't nearly as interesting as Sonic 1's since there's no race against the clock or truncated levels iirc

Sonic 1 launch trailer:

Shows off the drop-dash, spindash, Mega Play version and time attack.

Also, SEGA Ages intro:

It looks okay, nothing on the Taxman remaster, but still a nice effort. I hope the spin dash is bug fixed over the 3DS version though.

Is Time Attack mode genuinely only for Green Hill Act 1 though? I mean a worldwide leaderboard for the whole of a classic game like Sonic 1, that has appeal, but not as much just for one level of it.

Virtua Racing the arcade! 😮

Sega Ages is definitely what Sega Forever should have been. Even the name is way better than Forever, Classics Collections, etc. Somebody at Sega should make some cleaning and rebrand everything properly.

• 1 month later...

In a recent interview from M2 (developer of the SEGA Ages collection), they stated they might include in Sonic 2 for Switch things that Yuji Naka wanted to do in the original game, but couldn’t because of the Megadrive’s limitations.

Horii-san says M2 is currently working on Sega Ages Virtua Racing, which was announced at Tokyo Game Show 2018. They’re doing a lot of research on how the game’s code works too, to avoid a repeat of the Monster Guide incident told above. He jokes that the games they’ll probably have the hardest time with are the ones programmed by Yuji Naka. The next one they’re planning to do that was programmed by him is Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Speaking of that, he teases they might include in Sonic 2 for Switch things that Yuji Naka wanted to do in the original game, but couldn’t because of the Megadrive’s limitations.

Credit to Mayor D for posting this on TSS' main page.

Will be intersting to see what they come up with.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I'm intrigued by what this means, does it mean they'll be seriously tampering more with the programming (since Sonic 1 didn't even bug fix the Spin Dash code from last time) or do they mean more along the lines of what the Switch's gimmicks and hardware allows?

Also same interview confirmed they have started serious plans to rerelease Dreamcast games.

I didn't get into the Sonic games until Adventure (I've always been more into the comics), so it'd be rad to have Adventure on a handheld. Also might give me the opportunity to finally play Jet Set Radio; that game sounds like something I'd enjoy.