Awoo.

Sega Ages Collection (Switch)

Badnik Mechanic

I've been playing Sega Ages Sonic the hedgehog for almost a week and I can only say how classic the drop dash feels. I felt the original Sonic 1 weird after getting used to Sonic 2's spindash. Now any classic feels incomplete without the drop dash to me xD

Playing Sonic 2 with drop dash will be very enjoyable :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

I am wondering what they'll do with Tails however, will they give him flying to balance it, or just give him the Drop Dash as well? 

I hope it's at least one of those choices because Tails with neither ability risks making him the 'dud' character.

3 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

I am wondering what they'll do with Tails however, will they give him flying to balance it, or just give him the Drop Dash as well? 

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. If they give him the drop-dash then at least Tails will have the same moveset as Sonic. 

Would it be easier to implement Tails flight or to give Tails the drop-dash?

They could (although unlikely) give Tails a super-form. Well, Tails does have a super form in Mania when collecting the chaos emeralds and he should have had one in the original version of Sonic 2 (much like he should have been able to fly).

:thinking:

• Nice Smile 1

On 11/1/2018 at 2:05 PM, TheOcelot said:

In a recent interview from M2 (developer of the SEGA Ages collection), they stated they might include in Sonic 2 for Switch things that Yuji Naka wanted to do in the original game, but couldn’t because of the Megadrive’s limitations.

Credit to Mayor D for posting this on TSS' main page.

Will be intersting to see what they come up with.

Yes..!!  There must still be plenty of concepts for Sonic 2 that have not reached a place of public knowledge. 

Perhaps it could be a different version of the Special Stage, or maybe even transitions between zones!! 

I hope the drop dash becomes available to all classic characters. I tend to play with Sonic in Mania because of that move, and I really don't see why it shouldn't be treated as the spindash. Sonic could have the insta shield back, and have the elemental shields power ups to balance his moveset.

5 hours ago, molul said:

I hope the drop dash becomes available to all classic characters. I tend to play with Sonic in Mania because of that move, and I really don't see why it shouldn't be treated as the spindash. Sonic could have the insta shield back, and have the elemental shields power ups to balance his moveset.

I'm split down the middle since it's neat Sonic has a really cool and addictive (and characteristically flashy) signature move in the classic games. The elemental shields powers were very conditional (and only work in games that actually have elemental shields) an the insta shield had split second timing only advanced gamers could utilise well most of the time.

Not to mention it's 'double jump' press activation conflicts with how you activate the others' powers.

On the other hand the Drop Dash does give Sonic a bit of an unfair advantage in 2 player race and Time Attack and if they don't give Tails his flying ability I'd rather he had Drop Dash than nothing.

I think it's time to drop the "one button for all" philosophy. We're playing with controllers with lots of buttons. They can map a button for drop dash on all characters and another button for secondary abilities (fly, glide, instashield...), and this second button would activate elemental power up on Sonic. It wouldn't be bad at all, IMHO.

I mean, it's not like the controls would feel like Dark Souls. A small change, easy to adapt to, and the classic formula would get a fine enhancement.

Just to note that the third entry, Phantasy Star for the Master System, has already been released in Japan and should be released in the west on the 15th November. Interestingly the Japanese release features an English mode anyway.

No news on the release dates for the next entries though.

• 3 weeks later...

SEGA AGES: OUTRUN has been released on the Japanese eShop! The bad news is, the "global release" plan is well and truly dead in the water - SEGA has confirmed OutRun is only due out in the West for 2019. 

In brighter news, this is probably one of the highlights of the series so far. SEGA AGES OutRun boasts:

• 60fps, widescreen support (with all those lovely graphic filters)
  • OutRun 3DS' car tuning feature
  • The 3DS original tracks (Camino Mi Amor and Cruising Line)
  • A slew of newly arranged tracks for the OutRun arcade soundboard! These are Step-On Beat (OutRun MD), Midnight Highway (OutRun 3-D SMS), Radiation (OutRun 2SP) and a track that actually goes beyond the soundboard - DRIVER'S MEGAMIX VOL.1. 

Driver's Megamix Vol. 1 is a synthwave medley of the original OutRun tracks and it's bloody magnificent. 

Overall, a really nice package and I'm glad it's already here (at least, if you know how to get JP eShop credit sorted). 

Well we won't be getting Phantasy Star until mid December so it's telling there's some delays ongoing.

Still I suppose it's better than the previous SEGA AGES lines for the Saturn and PS2, where we were lucky to get them at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Phantasy Star released on the Western eShop the other day, as a heads up.

And now it’s time for more announcements:

http://www.segadriven.com/2018/12/puyo-puyo-and-puyo-puyo-tsu-announced-for-sega-ages-on-nintendo-switch/

90A8F536-FEBE-4DA0-A7C9-5A82133B145A.jpe

Both Puyo Puyo and Puyo Puyo 2 are coming to SEGA AGES with Online Battle support! For those keeping track, I believe that leaves us with two more games for Wave 1, one of which is a shmup as confirmed at a shooting game tribute event a couple months back. 

oooh! I hope the Puyo games get released for the west. This would be the first time they would be localized, right? I really enjoyed Puyo Tetris so I hope we see more support for Puyo in the west.

39 minutes ago, Red said:

This would be the first time they would be localized, right?

No. There was that odd localization of the Arcade version for game 1, which is where the name "Dark Prince" comes from.  With other name changes including:

• Arle > Silvana
  • Skeleton-T > Skeleton
  • Nasu Grave > Blue Ghost
  • Draco Centauros > Dragon Woman
  • Suketoudara > Goby Captain
  • Sukiyapodes > Small Foot
  • Harpy > Dark Elf (her wings were also erased)
  • Sasoriman > Scorpion Man (which is a lucky translation in and of itself)
  • Panotty > Johnny
  • Zoh Daimao > Elephant Lord (another lucky translation)
  • Schezo > Devious
  • Minotaur is given the first name "Max"
  • Rulue > Lulu (bad case of Engrish)
  • Satan > Dark Prince (which is now canon as of PPT)

What is strange is that this same translation (called Puzlow Kids) is also in the Game Gear version when playing the normally Japan-exclusive game on a Western system.

Likewise, there was a release early on in the GBA's lifespan simply called Puyo Pop which had two English trnaslations, depending on the cart.  One such example that I can think of is Incubus where in the Japanese cart, Arle simply tells him to leave her alone.  In the Western cart:

Incubus: Hey! I just want to get to know you! What's your sign, baby?
Arle: Octagon. As in "stop".

2 hours ago, Red said:

oooh! I hope the Puyo games get released for the west. This would be the first time they would be localized, right? I really enjoyed Puyo Tetris so I hope we see more support for Puyo in the west.

As mentioned Puyo Puyo was localised before but its a rare arcade board and a technically unreleased version on the Game Gear but is present in the Japanese cart (Ronald McDonald in the Magical World on the Game Gear was the same).

Puyo Puyo 2 was also featured in Sega 3D Classics Collection but it is untranslated due to how the game was made (sometimes games can be hard to hack if they are hard coded). I'm assuming if Puyo Puyo 2 comes out outside of Japan for the Sega Ages, it'll be the same. Oh and I think Puyo Puyo 2 was released on the Neo Geo Pocket Color of all systems but it was called Puyo Pop in the West (not to be confused with the GBA one aka Everybody's Puyo Puyo).

Cool, puyo puyo is on the list too. I'm kinda hoping this is one m2 add a good few extra modes for, since the arcade versions are kinda barebones. I'd love to see them get a proper translation, though for stated reasons that may not happen. Granted I'd be happy even with just a juiced up Mean Bean Machine.

Concerning the shoot em up, maybe it's one of Sega's arcade model 1 games since Virtua Racing would confirm they've got emulation working for that to some degree.

• 4 weeks later...

OutRun comes to the West on 10th Jan:

Meanwhile, Sonic 1 & Lightening Force are 25% off until Jan 10th:

Still no news if it's translated, though the speedy release doesn't leave me hopeful. Still it's nice we're getting the original version officially I guess (not that I would have minded an upgraded Mean Bean Machine).

• 2 weeks later...

So, who's bought OutRun yet and is it any cop? I heard the widescreen feature in particular, on that Switch handheld screen, is a beauty to behold. Might end up getting it soon with my spare Gold Coins.

I have the other three SEGA AGES titles on my Switch though, they're all great for different reasons. Thunder Force IV, I never actually had on my Mega Drive as a kid so it was great to be able to play through it (it's rock HARD though, what the hell). The soundtrack in particular is awesome - very 'late-era Mega Drive' kind of sound that always gets me real nostalgic, if you know what I mean. I don't know if I'll ever beat TFIV legitimately, haha, but I'll pop back into it every now and then.

I've played Phantasy Star a couple of times before, but I never really got very far. As much as I really want to play all these old 80s NES/Master System titles, to experience classic game series from the beginning, it's always a little difficult to persist with them after a while as they get a little too confusing to play or know where to go (Legend of Zelda's a bit like that for me, trying to figure out where to go, and Phantasy Star was basically the same). Playing the SEGA AGES version, I've finally found the time and energy to play through the entire game and complete it for the very first time! That last boss is surprising!

To be honest, I quite like the fact that Sonic the Hedgehog isn't the Taxman mobile remaster. As much as I want to have the Taxmans on my Switch, I'd prefer it was a separate release rather than part of the SEGA AGES lineup. I feel that SEGA AGES are supposed to be like, the Criterion Collection of SEGA classic re-releases - the original games largely kept intact, with a few Quality of Life enhancements here and there. I think M2's Sonic 1 is much closer to that mission statement than Taxman's Sonic 1. Taxman adds a whole lot of extra content that wasn't in the original release, and it kinda feel a little too much like a Sonic 1.5, you know? Not that that's a bad thing, just that I think it doesn't quite fit in with the SEGA AGES approach here.

Also, Mega Play is rad.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

So, who's bought OutRun yet and is it any cop? I heard the widescreen feature in particular, on that Switch handheld screen, is a beauty to behold. Might end up getting it soon with my spare Gold Coins.

I have the other three SEGA AGES titles on my Switch though, they're all great for different reasons. Thunder Force IV, I never actually had on my Mega Drive as a kid so it was great to be able to play through it (it's rock HARD though, what the hell). The soundtrack in particular is awesome - very 'late-era Mega Drive' kind of sound that always gets me real nostalgic, if you know what I mean. I don't know if I'll ever beat TFIV legitimately, haha, but I'll pop back into it every now and then.

I've played Phantasy Star a couple of times before, but I never really got very far. As much as I really want to play all these old 80s NES/Master System titles, to experience classic game series from the beginning, it's always a little difficult to persist with them after a while as they get a little too confusing to play or know where to go (Legend of Zelda's a bit like that for me, trying to figure out where to go, and Phantasy Star was basically the same). Playing the SEGA AGES version, I've finally found the time and energy to play through the entire game and complete it for the very first time! That last boss is surprising!

To be honest, I quite like the fact that Sonic the Hedgehog isn't the Taxman mobile remaster. As much as I want to have the Taxmans on my Switch, I'd prefer it was a separate release rather than part of the SEGA AGES lineup. I feel that SEGA AGES are supposed to be like, the Criterion Collection of SEGA classic re-releases - the original games largely kept intact, with a few Quality of Life enhancements here and there. I think M2's Sonic 1 is much closer to that mission statement than Taxman's Sonic 1. Taxman adds a whole lot of extra content that wasn't in the original release, and it kinda feel a little too much like a Sonic 1.5, you know? Not that that's a bad thing, just that I think it doesn't quite fit in with the SEGA AGES approach here.

Also, Mega Play is rad.

SEGA AGES OutRun is probably my favourite from the set honestly - by far the best version of OutRun. The widescreen feature is great, and in addition it moves at a clean 60fps. And whenever you clear a route, you get a new car part that changes how the car handles in a certain way (and changes the colour, blasphemously), and you can mix and match these parts to boost replayability.

There's also a bunch of new music - in addition to the 2 new tracks added in the 3DS version, the Switch version adds classic arcade re-arrangements of several songs from OutRun sequels (such as Radiation from OutRun 2). They also had chibi-tech do an 80's synthwave medley of the classic 3 tracks and it's sublime. 

So yeah, definitely pick it up. An even better deal if you use the coins. 

• Fist Bump 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alex Kidd in Miracle World confirmed to be next entry:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/02/alex_kidd_in_miracle_world_is_your_next_sega_ages_classic

Also an interview confirms M2 are considering some expansions here and there, such as possibly doing some English translations of future titles and more multiiplayer functions:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/01/sega_ages_development_team_might_localise_games_that_have_never_been_translated

Alex Kidd in Miracle World arrives in Japan on 21st Feb

Features:

Ages Mode: Adding Countless New Elements

In addition to “Original Mode,” where the original version can be played without change, the Sega Ages release adds a new “Ages Mode.” Ages Mode offers the same fun of the original version, while adding support for FM Sound Unit background music, allowing players to enjoy numerous tracks in nostalgic frequency modulation.

Additionally, the “Continue” feature after getting a “Game Over” has been simplified and a helper feature has been added to rewind gameplay up to five seconds, making the game more accessible for players who might not be good at action games.

And with the addition of newly drawn event images at the start of important stages, and the in-game implementation of the Sukopako Motorcycle theme, “phantom background music” recorded for the soundtrack but not used in the game, Ages Mode aims to be original game in its complete form.