Awoo.

Sega Ages Collection (Switch)

Badnik Mechanic

"Ages Mode aims to be original game in its complete form."

That quote interests me. I'd love to see more of their entries attempt that to some degree, an extra version of the game with bells and whistles that were planned but didn't make it in originally. I know they intend to put in some dumped concepts for Sonic 2 at least.

What happened to the dual release of Gain Ground and Puyo Puyo this month however?

• 4 weeks later...

Virtua Racing confirmed to be coming out this Spring in Japan.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/03/sega_ages_virtua_racing_will_support_eight-player_splitscreen_and_online_races_on_switch

Apparently new features will include an online two player and an EIGHT PLAYER local split screen mode.

I'm rather surprised they went for more players on the local mode than online, I suspect that will be an eyesore all on one TV.

Nice SEGA's finally releasing some of their 3D retro titles at least. Also seems like the modifications to the Ages releases are getting more ambitious, especially with what the emulation displays can do (kinda hoping Sonic 2's split screen gets some tune ups as well).

SEGA AGES Japanese site updated with new screenies:

Sega-Ages-Virtua-Racing_2019_03-19-19_00Sega-Ages-Virtua-Racing_2019_03-19-19_00Sega-Ages-Virtua-Racing_2019_03-19-19_00Sega-Ages-Virtua-Racing_2019_03-19-19_00

Also a replay save and playback feature has been added:

Sega-Ages-Virtua-Racing_2019_03-19-19_00Sega-Ages-Virtua-Racing_2019_03-19-19_01

Also the title screen for SEGA AGES Puyo Puyo has been added as well. The game is placed before Virtua Racing on the site list implying that one might come first:

ss_01.jpg

By the way has anyone noticed the SEGA AGES page actually seems to have loads of preview shots for unannounced titles like Shinobi and Fantasy Zone? They might just be mock-ups for decoration but it's very curious.

http://archives.sega.jp/segaages/

• Thumbs Up 2

Preview video of Puyo Puyo (with English version):

A kinda simple package this time round (sadly no Endless Puyo or Tsu counter options) and I'm really hoping Online Mode runs smoother in the final release. Still it'd be cool to get the original version of the game if it releases in the West.

Also like how the recent Ages titles have a sound test option added.

Well we've had a splurge of new announced titles, and unsurprisingly they mostly consist of ones of the site's banner:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/03/six_more_sega_ages_games_announced_for_nintendo_switch

Shinobi, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Fantasy Zone, Puzzle & Action: Inchidant-R, Herzog Zwei and G-LOC Air Battle all confirmed.

Not much news on extras, though Fantasy Zone will be (expectedly) based on the 3DS release and Herzog Zwei will have online support.

No confirmed dates for any titles, though Virtua Racing stated to be 80% completed.

If M2 can add a suspend feature or an easier difficulty for Monster Land, I'd be on board with that. From what I've played of the PS3 version however it's my least favorite of the Monster World games because the difficulty is atrocious even with infinite continues. It went on for a little too long and I couldn't bring myself to finish it despite repeated attempts.

I'd be all over another M2-enhanced version of Monster World 3 on the Switch however.

• 3 weeks later...

Virtua Racing is out now in Japan, and it's a superb port.

And... for the replay mode, they went above and beyond. It was already impressive that they'd brought over Virtua Formula's Replay Mode, but the cherry on top?

An arcade re-arrangement of the Virtua Racing DX (32X) Replay music! Hell yeah. 

Some development details on SEGA AGES Virtua Racing:

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/333973-sega-and-m2-reveal-the-many-struggles-and-challenges-of-creating

It seems this is actually a port, not an emulation, so maybe Model 1 emulation isn't on the table right now.

They lacked the original source code so this whole thing was remade from scratch.

Also this originated from the 3D Classics line, and they initially planned to remake the 32X version.

• Nice Smile 1

18 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Some development details on SEGA AGES Virtua Racing:

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/333973-sega-and-m2-reveal-the-many-struggles-and-challenges-of-creating

It seems this is actually a port, not an emulation, so maybe Model 1 emulation isn't on the table right now.

They lacked the original source code so this whole thing was remade from scratch.

Also this originated from the 3D Classics line, and they initially planned to remake the 32X version.

I think the Virtua Formula mention is to suggest this is emulation - basically although VR's code was lost, VF's wasn't, so they used that as the basis instead. IIRC GSK (translator fella) TL'd bits of the interview the other day and they were basically like

"hey go see if Virtua Formula's code is lying around lol"

"oh hey here it is"

"wait what"

The full article elaborates:

Still, it used Virtua Racing as the base, and M2 worked backwards to “re-develop” the original arcade version that didn’t use borrowed code from Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Virtua Racing and Wonder Boy: Monster Land are releasing in NA/Europe on June 27th.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's great we're getting another double release, though the fact Puyo Puyo isn't there concerns me.

I hope they're not skipping it. Come on it has an English translation in there (no matter how laughable), why are you so stingy about the Puyo franchise here in the west SEGA?

• 3 weeks later...

D9_5kwQVUAAK4LY.jpg

SEGA AGES: SPACE HARRIER is now available in Japan! As well as the 3DS addition of Haya-Oh as a new final boss (who is now easier to get to), the main new attraction is Koma-Inu barrier mode. The two doggos who guard Wiwi Jumbo, the Stage 17 boss, now act as Harrier's Guard dogs - you can crash into environment hazards for points! However, bullets still hurt you and if the doggos get hit they're stunned and the barrier goes down, so while it's an easier mode there's still a modicum of challenge to it (though unlike Original Mode, it is set to Free Play). This mode also gives every level its own flavour text a la Fantasy Zone II! 

Aren’t most of these the same exact releases on the 3DS?

Hard pass either way, because I’m tired of seeing constant rereleases of same Genesis games. Give me Dreamcast or Saturn games, and then we’ll talk.

Been playing Virtua Racing which was released in NA/Europe today. It's nice that it has proper widescreen. Trying to finish 1st (let-alone 2nd or 3rd) in Medium & Expert is insanely hard, but it's fun. I prefer using "manual" gear change rather than "automatic".

On 6/27/2019 at 6:47 AM, The Very Inactive One said:

Aren’t most of these the same exact releases on the 3DS?

Hard pass either way, because I’m tired of seeing constant rereleases of same Genesis games. Give me Dreamcast or Saturn games, and then we’ll talk.

Not really - the ones that were on 3DS carry over the features from those games, but they also add more. In addition, the lineup has also already included games that haven't received modern ports such as Thunder Force IV, or include overhauled versions of the game (Phantasy Star), or have never been officially released in a localised state (the upcoming Ichidant-R and, to an extent, Puyo Puyo). Even Sonic 1 includes the first commercial release of the Mega Play arcade edition.

Just putting these down to "rereleases of the same Genesis games" does them a large disservice... particularly as there's only two Genesis games out of the 10 released games thus far. 

• Thumbs Up 2

48 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Not really - the ones that were on 3DS carry over the features from those games, but they also add more. In addition, the lineup has also already included games that haven't received modern ports such as Thunder Force IV, or include overhauled versions of the game (Phantasy Star), or have never been officially released in a localised state (the upcoming Ichidant-R and, to an extent, Puyo Puyo). Even Sonic 1 includes the first commercial release of the Mega Play arcade edition.

Just putting these down to "rereleases of the same Genesis games" does them a large disservice... particularly as there's only two Genesis games out of the 10 released games thus far. 

I see. I guess there is more to the rereleases than I thought, but honestly, special features added to them don’t really seem intriguing to me, atleast not enough for me to take them over the 3DS versions I own. Maybe if they came together in a physical collection like the 3DS ones eventually did, I would consider buying them, but digitally and individually as they are now? Ehhhhhhh.

And yeah, I was wrong about the “Genesis games” thing, but the fact I had seen a lot of the games in the lineup get a fair amount of rereleases makes me less interested in it than I would be. I will give them credit for putting more obscure games on there, though. Never even heard of “Herzog Zwei” before.

• 3 weeks later...

ss_01.jpg

http://www.segadriven.com/2019/07/sega-ages-columns-2-next-in-line-for-japan-includes-endless-columns-and-columns-1-modes/

Columns 2: The Voyage Through Time is next in Japan! This game was actually Japan-exclusive, and this port will mark its first release outside of Japan.

I think Columns is fine, but I wasn't too interested in this game on the lineup. And apparently M2 realised that, because they've beefed it up a fair bit! 

• The original game modes, Flash Columns and Vs Columns, now have new rule options (and there's Netplay too)
  • There's an Endless Mode included now too
  • Beating stages in Flash Columns mode unlocks "Jewel Box" - a collection of the artwork used for the SEGA AGES intros! It provides a profile for each character. 
  • Columns 1! Yeah Columns 1 is just.. here. It's based on a version M2 made for a Yakuza 0 PSP app, so multiplayer is missing, but it's a surprising inclusion all the same.

So yeah... I was gonna give this a miss, but I think I need to get this just for the Jewel Box. Blimey. 

"SEGA is AGES backwards"

I remember saying that in the early 90s.....Ah, good times.

Anyway, I already have these title on Steam. I guess this is good for those whom do not have a gaming PC. The Steam version has a TON of games. I do not even own a Switch. Thinking of a reason to get it.

Only one of the games released so far is actually on Steam, and that's... Sonic 1. 

8 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Only one of the games released so far is actually on Steam, and that's... Sonic 1. 

I understand that you're right about this and the AGES Collection has the definitive versions of most games (ironically not S1 though), but sentiments like that from @Hurly Burly just drive home a lot of people just don't see any reason to care about yet more retro re-releases of SEGA games. Yes, these are top quality and the list includes games that are very often forgotten... But at the end of the day, it's not anything new. SEGA spend so much time re-releasing old games. It's hard for everyone to get too excited.