Jump to content
Mayor D

Mega Drive Mini announced. "ATGames are no more!"

Recommended Posts

I own an original Mega-Drive and I've pre-ordered the upcoming SEGA Mega Drive Classics Collection (not to mention I own the PS3 & Steam collections).

So I have no reason to what-so-ever to care about this Mega-Drive mini.  Yes, SEGA we know ithe Mega-Drive was a great console and how you like to milk the shit out of those games, but you have other consoles which fans never owned and games they've never played.

Now, if SEGA announced a Mega CD, 32X, Saturn or Dreamcast mini then I'd be interested. Never owned either of those consoles.

How about they make a mini-Saturn and make a Sonic Mania disc-version for it?!

 

4 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

smh Sega returns to the hardware business and the first thing they do is make another Mega Drive model

Since (it appears that) they're blatantly copying Nintendo they should have started with 8-bit first. I.e. a Game Gear/Master System mini XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to think of what they could put on this that would actually entice me into buying it. Most non-Sonic Genesis games have aged... pretty poorly, and the third party support especially didn't hold a candle to the old Nintendo systems. 

Maybe I'd be down if Castlevania Bloodlines was on it. This thing needs good games that never see re-releases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Solly said:

I'm trying to think of what they could put on this that would actually entice me into buying it. Most non-Sonic Genesis games have aged... pretty poorly, and the third party support especially didn't hold a candle to the old Nintendo systems.

If it was something that actually encompassed the Genesis' life, meaning it included a best of selection from the entire system's available library, I would be all over it. It would legitimately be refreshing if Sega acknowledged that even the 32X was not such a miserable failure that there was nothing on it worth ever seeing again, nevermind the Sega CD; or that they were not the only ones who made titles for the platform. Since that is what Nintendo did with the Mini series.

 

 

Of course, instead I'm sure we can expect the usual suspects and little else.

The worst versions of Ecco and Ecco II.

The Sonic games sans CD or Chaotix.

The Streets of Rage games.

Gunstar.

Golden Axe games.

Columns.

Altered Beast.

Toe-Jam and Earl and maybe II.

Perfectly adequate emulation.

 

njJSSqITPQa9nbF2A3z-6W-kI3W9q0ug2MYdNidB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's running on similar tech to the NES & SNES minis then it might well be possible to hack into this fairly easily to get a better game selection on there if it's the same usual offerings. Obviously not really in the spirit of the whole thing but it's a nice option for those willing.

I think the biggest issue here is the bombardment of plug & plays/Firecore systems SEGA have licensed since the turn of the millennium. I'm fully willing to believe this will do a far better emulation job than the stuff that came before it, but to an average consumer? It's gonna look like another re-release to them. Even just last year SEGA responded to the Nintendo minis with that Flashback console which actually did mark an improvement with its HDMI, save states etc.

I think this is going to do well for itself but it's got a lot of previous baggage weighing it down a bit compared to the NES mini which was totally new for Nintendo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

I will never understand the appeal of those mini consoles.

Nostalgia hype is all they are

11 minutes ago, The Loudest Loud said:

If it's running on similar tech to the NES & SNES minis then it might well be possible to hack into this fairly easily to get a better game selection on there if it's the same usual offerings. Obviously not really in the spirit of the whole thing but it's a nice option for those willing.

I think the biggest issue here is the bombardment of plug & plays/Firecore systems SEGA have licensed since the turn of the millennium. I'm fully willing to believe this will do a far better emulation job than the stuff that came before it, but to an average consumer? It's gonna look like another re-release to them. Even just last year SEGA responded to the Nintendo minis with that Flashback console which actually did mark an improvement with its HDMI, save states etc.

I think this is going to do well for itself but it's got a lot of previous baggage weighing it down a bit compared to the NES mini which was totally new for Nintendo.

Why waste money doing that than. Just emulate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

I will never understand the appeal of those mini consoles.

 

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

Nostalgia hype is all they are

Why waste money doing that than. Just emulate?

This is writing under the assumption that you can get good performance from the product...

But basically a big appeal is the following.

The cost of trying to buy an old mega drive these days? Cost of buying a compatible TV/Cables to connect said device to a modern TV and still get a decent picture and sound + Cost of the actual games.

Is probably a lot higher than a plug and play device.

 

What's that? Play on a PC? 

Ok, the base cost of a PC Vs a plug and play device, that alone instance makes a plug and play more cost effective.

 

Furthermore, add onto that the fact that a plug and play device is a lot smaller and compact than any of those options. 

Then add onto that the preserving legacy. For instance, if I just want to play a game for fun, do I fire up my older machines, or fire up a more modern system if I just want to play it. I can save my older original hardware for the more special occasions or rarer/better games.

 

Now the counter argument to all this would be 'Get a Raspberry Pi',and yeah that would give you all the benefits of a plug and play and then some. However, the setup for a Pi is not very user friendly to those with limited computer science knowledge, not to mention even if you know what you're doing, the setup process takes a good while to do. Whereas a plug and play works instantly.

 

That is why they have appeal and not once did anyone cry nostalgia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

 

 

This is writing under the assumption that you can get good performance from the product...

But basically a big appeal is the following.

The cost of trying to buy an old mega drive these days? Cost of buying a compatible TV/Cables to connect said device to a modern TV and still get a decent picture and sound + Cost of the actual games.

Is probably a lot higher than a plug and play device.

 

What's that? Play on a PC? 

Ok, the base cost of a PC Vs a plug and play device, that alone instance makes a plug and play more cost effective.

 

Furthermore, add onto that the fact that a plug and play device is a lot smaller and compact than any of those options. 

Then add onto that the preserving legacy. For instance, if I just want to play a game for fun, do I fire up my older machines, or fire up a more modern system if I just want to play it. I can save my older original hardware for the more special occasions or rarer/better games.

 

Now the counter argument to all this would be 'Get a Raspberry Pi',and yeah that would give you all the benefits of a plug and play and then some. However, the setup for a Pi is not very user friendly to those with limited computer science knowledge, not to mention even if you know what you're doing, the setup process takes a good while to do. Whereas a plug and play works instantly.

 

That is why they have appeal and not once did anyone cry nostalgia.

Mayer what in the world are you talking about. I did not say anything is wrong with the nostalgia approach but that honestly that is why many buy it.

Segas are not expensive i have 4. The games can run high but many like sonic you can nab for 5-9 dollars in a good store

Also I do not know what a Pi is. I have or did on my old pc a emulator with games from geneies, nes, super nes, 64, dreamcast. They all ran fine and outside having to edit a folder once or twice was not that hard

They have appeal but to those that will without a doubt buy this. stick them on ebay for 2x the price and people buy them are driven by nostalgia of the system. I stood in line for the nes minis and supers. Most there were older people going on about how they remember playing the games as a kid and going to let their kids play. Plus as stated, mos tthese games have been released several times, even sega has yet another game bundle coming out in a few weeks dont they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

 

What's that? Play on a PC? 

Ok, the base cost of a PC Vs a plug and play device, that alone instance makes a plug and play more cost effective.

No one in the history of PC collections has bought a PC to play a Genesis game collection, and since Sega released one all the way back in 2001 even if someone's only current computer is a Pentium II running Windows 98 they can still play one. Cost effectiveness is not a real argument here.

Quote

Then add onto that the preserving legacy. For instance, if I just want to play a game for fun, do I fire up my older machines, or fire up a more modern system if I just want to play it.

You mean like a Dreamcast, Windows 98-era PC, a PS2, a PSP, a PS3, an Xbox 360, a Wii, a PS Vita, a Wii U, a Windows Vista-era PC, a PS4, an Xbone, or the half dozen plug and play consoles that Sega has already made since partnering with AtGames a decade ago (including one that literally looks identical to this one)?

 

 

The NES and SNES Mini had a point because Nintendo always did games individually. Sega releases a new Genesis collection every couple years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado said:

or the half dozen plug and play consoles that Sega has already made since partnering with AtGames a decade ago (including one that literally looks identical to this one)?

Remember that part of my post when I said assumption that you can get good performance from the product...

When have the AT products ever given good performance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Remember that part of my post when I said assumption that you can get good performance from the product...

When have the AT products ever given good performance?

So if I'm understanding your post correctly, the wide not-buying-because-it-is-a-nostalgia-cashgrab-copycat-of-what-Nintendo-already-did-twice audience of this new system is:

People who don't own a PS2, Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbone, PSP, PS Vita or even a PC made since 2003.

Who lack the technical knowhow to type "Sega Genesis" into the respective app store of the smartphone they (presumably) also don't have.

But still know enough and care enough about emulation accuracy to know that all of the other officially-licenced-by-Sega plug and play versions of a console that peaked in popularity 25 years ago aren't good enough for their refined palette, so this (assumed) better one will finally fit their needs?

 

 

 

 

The big appeal to this in 2018, when Sega releases something to this effect on a constant basis, is literally nostalgia and nothing else. That is why it is the second novelty miniature version of the console that Sega has made since Nintendo did it with the NES Mini to wild popularity. That is why Sega has provided similar access to games on the system for nearly every game console released in the past twenty years. You don't need to construct a bunch of absurd hoops like the cost of a new PC vs the cost of this system when it launches to try and pretend Sega is serving a greater purpose with it this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

So if I'm understanding your post correctly, the wide not-buying-because-it-is-a-nostalgia-cashgrab-copycat-of-what-Nintendo-already-did-twice audience of this new system is:

Well my post was actually to provide a counter argument to the whole 'it's just nostalgia' and 'I don't understand why' argument. But if you wanna turn it into a conspiracy go ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

What's that? Play on a PC? 

Ok, the base cost of a PC Vs a plug and play device, that alone instance makes a plug and play more cost effective.

System requirements from the Genesis games' Steam page:

s6RQDMA.jpg

The release date of Windows XP on Wikipedia:

Tt7dmSE.jpg

K3DRAok.jpg

I think it's safe to say the number of people on this planet who are going out to buy a PC for the primary purpose of playing Genesis games is in the single digits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they bother to get third-party stuff on this, I'd love to see them reach out to get some of the rarer stuff. I'd love an re-release of Mega Man The Wily Wars.

Buuut knowing SEGA, it will indeed be the usual boring culprits that I doubt I could care about. My only hope is they'll make a Dreamcast Mini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.