Awoo.

Mega Drive Mini announced. "ATGames are no more!"

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Welp, it's fucked then.

Well... there it is...

I suppose we can rip out the insides and slap a raspberry pi in.

1 hour ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

So who are ATGames and why are people unhappy with them?

ATGames are the people who have made all those Sega Plug and Play 'devices' over the last decade.

They have a lot of problems. Aside from the fact the emulation is very poor quality, they somehow manage to make the sound quality worse and worse with every version.

There's also been complaints about them being very unsafe to the point of them being a potential fire hazard.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

ATGames have been making plug and play Genesis consoles for a while, and every time, the audio quality is known to blow chunks.

So chances are, this mini console will follow the same trend of tarnishing Sega music once again.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 14/04/2018 at 4:31 PM, The Tenth Doctor said:

We hope you enjoyed the ride!

• My Emmerdoods 4

14 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Bloody hell, the sound is atrocious. They seriously need to up their game.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's made even more discouraging by the fact that ATGames have done dozens of remodels for years and barely even tried to improve on them. Their most recent one at least fixed the sound so it wasn't tone deaf for the most part, but it was still very static and low quality.

3 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Honestly, this is worse than not porting Sonic 3 at all. 

I need to lie down

• Thumbs Up 1

Is that audio comparison for real? it sounds completely wrong, almost like the pitch has been totally shifted. how is that even possible

• Thumbs Up 1

So ATGames have deleted their tweet stating that they were working on the MegaDrive Mini.

I guess they couldn't deal with the negative backlash.

On 17/04/2018 at 6:18 AM, Remy said:

Is that audio comparison for real? it sounds completely wrong, almost like the pitch has been totally shifted. how is that even possible

It is 100% real.

There's a lot of audio madness that normally gets highlighted in general reviews of the devices. If you skip to 14:57 in this video. You'll find out what happens when you get an extra life in Sonic 2.

This is quite a prominent position for a company like AT Games. They've only got themselves to blame if they're getting negative reception for frankly shoddy work in the past. It's quite unlikely that this is going to be any different if their response is sweep scepticism and criticism under the carpet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/17/2018 at 2:18 AM, Remy said:

YM2612 wasn't documented terribly well when it was new (which is why a lot of US-developed Genny games sound same-y sometimes), and Sega wasn't consistent in how it was even installed in the system over the years.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

I just checked their website, all of their Genesis consoles are "sold out".  It looks like Sega revoked their lisence to handle the Genesis Flashback line as well as their involvement on the MD Mini.

• Promotion 1

Great news that Sega is not doing this with AtGames. Now I can really hope for a Mega Drive Mini as good as the Nintendo Minis.

Now, sorry for the spam in advance ^^U

I've been developing this emulator frontend for nearly 10 months to use it on my Raspberry Pi, and now that Sega has announced they got rid of AtGames, I decided to try to offer it to Sega:

If you'd like it for the Mega Drive/Genesis Mini, I'd appreciate a RT or comment on the tweet I sent them yesterday :)

Thanks in advance! :D

• 6 months later...

At SEGA Fes they revealed more info:

• A world-wide release date of 19/9/2019.
  • There are two versions.The slightly more expensive version has two controllers instead of one.
  • Being developed by M2 instead of ATGames. 
  • Will include 40 games. 10 of the games to be included in the Jp release have been revealed;  Sonic 2, Puyo Puyo 2, Shining Force, Castlevania Bloodlines, Powerball, Gunstar Heroes, Comix Zone, Rent-a-Hero, Space Harrier II, and Madou Monogatari Ichi (one game per IP):

https://sega.jp/mdmini/

D23xfN3U4AAsXb6.jpg

D23v1rAU0AA3svN.jpg

D23xRA9U0AADphj.jpg

D23xR13UcAAAlU-.jpg

D233U73UYAAELQN.jpg

D233VW-U8AA4WoU.jpg

D233VwwUwAACewd.jpg

EDIT:

They cover the Mini from about 2:00:00 in the live-stream:

Trailer from 2:02:40

Sonic 2 gameplay from 2:24:13

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks great. Can't believe they're not fixing the scrolling glitch in S2 EHZ though. SEGA originally fixed it themselves in S2K and M2 even fixed it in the 3DS version. Maybe the footage in the trailer is coming from the vanilla games rather than the new system?

Games will also have all regional versions, so no worries of crappy PAL versions. And Yuzo Koshiro is apparently composing the music for the menus.

What a turn around. From an AT Games piece of crap, to what will possibly be the best of these Mini Consoles. Nice to see SEGA actually listening and caring about quality.

A lot of games I want are almost definitely going to be on this, bu ones that are unlikely, but I really want are the Disney Magical Quest games. Or at least 2. I loved that game as a kid.

Also, I forgot these were mini and thought the controllers were huge for a moment when I saw that show floor picture xD

This is a pretty good list so far. Altered Beast is still of course a piece of shit, but it's probably a requirement to include it since it was the only thing holding the fort for the console's first year.

It would appear that while Japan is getting two different SKUs for their Genesis Mini, we’re only getting one. Japan gets a choice between a $60 console with one six-button controller, or an $80 console with two six button controllers. For English-speaking territories, we’re only getting the $80 option with two controllers, and on top of that, our controllers only contain three buttons instead of six. Now, there weren’t tons of Genesis games that required more than three buttons, but when they did, it was basically essential.

http://www.tssznews.com/2019/03/30/this-is-your-genesis-mini-lineup-for-america-and-europe/

That says no S.C.E., at least. That's kind of a shame; but there's no other game that immediately comes to mind that would suffer so drastically.

I prefer Sonic 2 but Sonic 1 I'm fine with, and while I think it's a shame the Puyo/Madou Monogatari series isn't being translated, I love Mean Bean Machine as well.

I think the 'one game per IP' rule is a bit detrimental anyway, sure there's a ton of great games on the Genesis/Megadrive, but I don't think there's THAT  insurmountable an amount of first party franchises to work off of there.

I'm truthfully more concerned how involved M2 will be with the localisation process if there's different games involved. Hopefully they use the same emulator, but stuff like the controllers being downgraded leaves me worried SEGA's western marketing are trying to save bucks in the process of localising. Before we know it we may get an announcement that the western version is being made from scratch by ATGames after all.