Awoo.

Shenmue 1 & 2 HD (PS4) 2018

Badnik Mechanic

DatSRR1WkAEukzh.jpg

Just announced via live stream. PS4. Coming 2018.

Coming to Japan, America and Europe.

Also coming to Xbox One and PC.

• Thumbs Up 6

Can we have Sonic Adventure 1 + 2 next

Might give it a try when it releases.

Finally get my own copy to play! Now I can drink fizzy drinks and trade in caps for prizes all day.

About damn time, phew. I can check this from my "games I completely forgot were leaked-teased" list. 

I though it wasn't going to happen anymore.

Youtube version of the trailer: 

SEGA's kinda weird with platforms. SEGA AGES is coming to Switch while skipping PS4 and Xbox One, while this is coming to PS4 and Xbox One, while skipping the Switch.

Still, nice to see it finally happen after all the years of hearing about a Shenmue HD.

Hyped for this, hope they re-work the controls to match current gen while also retaining the option to switch to the original layout.

1 hour ago, TCB said:

I'm ecstatic for this.

@neezTHEhuman I believe they said you can play with either the original control layout or an updated one for modern consoles/systems.

They did.

There's two control schemes from what I've read, classic and 'modern'.

1 hour ago, TCB said:

'Classic and Modern'

...Heh.

I think they were the exact words used to.

Wondered who would be the first to say anything.

11 hours ago, Marcello said:

Youtube version of the trailer: 

SEGA's kinda weird with platforms. SEGA AGES is coming to Switch while skipping PS4 and Xbox One, while this is coming to PS4 and Xbox One, while skipping the Switch.

Still, nice to see it finally happen after all the years of hearing about a Shenmue HD.

They'll probably even out on both ends eventually,  likely. 

42 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Omega-Sapphire said:

They'll probably even out on both ends eventually,  likely. 

Oh, I'm sure this will come months later and for twice the price on Switch.

Definitely excited to play this, I've always wanted to play the Shenmue games but this is probably the most convenient way to play them! The music for these games is absolutely stunning.

• 2 months later...

I might get this if I ever buy a PS4. I never played the second Shenmue. 

Also is Shenmue 3 still happening?

• 1 month later...

The collection is out on Steam. No Denuvo in sight.

I'll buy this at some point. I probably won't even wait for a sale. I've always had a lowkey interest in these games despite knowing next to nothing about them

• 2 weeks later...

Beat Shenmue, got the good-ending. Interesting game.

I like the day and night cycle; having to pass time, wait for the following day or night before you can visit a shop/bar in order to advance the story was a unique concept for a game in the late 90's...and also really boring. 

There's a few early 90's sega games in the arcade shop which you can play (one being the motor-bike racer "Hang-On", which was kinda cool to play because I've only ever played the sequel "Super Hang-On" on the Mega-Drive). You can also play a game of darts and some other games, but there's only so much you can play before they get boring. Collecting those little figures of different SEGA characters is neat. 

Trying to figure out what to do/which shops to visit is mostly frustrating. I needed help quite a bit from the fortune teller (and the internet).

Most shops are written in Japanese (obviously) so if I could speak Jp it would help me find where I needed to go more easily XD

I did enjoy the Japanese setting. I like how you see the streets gradually get covered in snow as it gets closer to winter.

The story is bearable, although moves at a snails-pace. The voice acting (at least the English-dub) is hilariously bad at times. There's also some side missions, but I just concentrated on doing the Main story.

I guess the combat is what you'd expect from a game nearly 20 years old. I like that you can recover your health when fighting enemies. The game should have done a better job in teaching the new moves. That was so frustrating.

The forklift race was a pleasant suprise and speeding to the warehouse on the motorcycle was a nice change of pace.

The QTE's are frustrating because the prompts disappear way too quickly at times. 

The lack of fast-travel and being unable to speed up time is frustrating. Hopefully this will be optional in Shenmue 3.

To be fair this its a port of a 19 year- old game, so naturally a lot of the game's design were gonna feel dated. 

I might do another playthrough to Plat the game (already unlocked about 70% of the trophies).

I'm also going to play Shenmue 2 which I trust is more enjoyable?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 1:04 AM, Plasme said:

Shenmue 2 is significantly better than the first. Sometimes I'm tempted to tell people to skip straight to Shenmue 2.

Yeah, agreed.

I've now completed Shenmue 2 and unlocked the platinum PSN trophy.

Shenmue 2 improves over the original in lots of areas. Whilst I enjoyed the Japanese setting in the first game, this time you visit some really beautiful and colorful locations in Hong Kong, Kowloon (also in Hong Kong) and Guilin (China). There's more people to talk to. The structure of the streets is more complex, more maze-like. Thankfully they introduced a useful map system (you can buy maps) which helps a lot. Although it's still easy to get lost. There's a really cool feature; where some of the random people you talk to (instead of just describing where you need to go) will actually take you-lead you to where you need to go (so you just have to follow them). So nice of the people of Hong-Kong to take time out of their day to show Ryo around the towns XD

Since you loose all your money near the start of the game, you have to work hard to earn money (gambling is definitely my favorite method). Again you have the playable SEGA arcade games, although the arcade shop is harder to find this time and it's less convenient to play the games beause you never have to visit the arcade shop to advance the story. Whilst there is the usual (often boring) going back and forth between places repetition like in the first game, the story and characters are more interesting. You get to meet people such as Joy, the beautiful and wise Xiuying, and the thief Ren who you play a large chunk of the second chapter alongside. There's some entertaining dialogue between Ryo and Ren. The climax to chapter 2 (in Kowloon) is tense as you climb each floor of the "Yellow Head Building" overcoming the various different challenges.

Also, there's some nice music.

Dmpa03FWsAAO8pL.jpg

The combat is much better. This time you have a health bar, learning moves is definitely easier than the first game (the only one that pissed me off was the "leaf catching" challenge.  You keep your moves from the first games and there are plenty of new ones to learn and master. Whilst some fights are quite challenging, I never found them frustrating like in the first game. The QTE's however, can go fuck themselves.

Quick time events are of course very much trial and error, however, there's an insane number of them in Shenmue 2 and it's always hard to predict when they're coming. The worst ones are when the "controller d-pad" appears on screen and you have repeat a sequence of buttons which the game shows you on screen, but you have literally a split second to do it or you have to try again. This may not sound terrible,  but when you get these QTE's at the end of a fight; fuck it up and then you're forced to do the whole fight again and then attempt to beat the QTE again.....THEN RAGE ENSUES. Oh and don't get me started on those stupid fucking walk-the-plank QTE's. Not fun!

Unlike Chapter 1&2, Chapter 3 in Guilin (when you meet Shenhua - who Ryu kept dreaming about in Shenmue 1) is literately a walk in the countryside with some QTE's and an insane amount of dialogue and optional dialogue. No fighting what-so-ever. Chapter 3 pretty much is  "an interactive movie" and it goes on for at least 2 hours. It has nice visuals though and it tells a good story visually as Ryo and Shenhua make their way past mountains to Shenhua's home. There's some really nice music in chapter 3.

Dm11ogMX4AQNROL.jpg

Once you've beaten the game and know what you're doing it's much more straightforward and more enjoyable when you play again. I did a second playthrough of Shenmue 2 to get the remaining PSN trophies and blew through Chapter 1&2 resumably quickly.

I also like that once you beat the game you can start a new game from your completed save file (unlike in Shenmue 1). Although, there's no new game-plus.

It's much better that sometimes the clock will automatically skip a few hours to help advance the story more quickly so that you don't have to waste so much time.

So yeah, I totally appreciate the cult following these games have, despite their many flaws.

Bring on Shenmue 3!