Awoo.

How does Sonic compare to other video game heroes?

Blueknight V2.0

This is my 2nd of 3 posts about Sonic characters compared to other franchise heroes. Sonic may be the most iconic video game character/hero, one of the very few that wasn't changed from one game to the next like Eggman. Sonic's speed and personality are the highlights of the character, as well as adding humor to any situation no matter how serious (Modern and Boom). So I'm going to compare Sonic to other video game heroes, let's get started.

Sly Cooper- (This one is actually questionable, as VTNVIVI's video points out he's more a vigilante) Sly Cooper, a master thief along with his friends Bentley and Murray (which the trio is similar to Modern Team Sonic). Now how is Sly similar to Sonic (besides Sly's status), is even though Sly's a thief he has a similar attitude as Sonic for adding humor to the situation. Now Sly does steal, but only from other thieves then leaves them for Carmelita. Sly does fight for justice, but it's more for family honor.

Ratchet & Clank- Ratchet & Clank's characters started out as 2 characters that meet and stops a villain (Drek and to a lesser extent Qwark) from destroying planets. Since then the characters have evolved and discover their origins, which could've separated them. Now Ratchet & Clank are actually similar to Sonic and Tails, Ratchet features a similar personality when compared to Sonic and Sly, however not adding as much humor as the other 2. Clank's supportive role and intellect is similar to Tails, both Clank and Tails help Sonic and Ratchet reach areas otherwise inaccessible. Now like Sonic and Sly, Ratchet is also very flexible and can perform manuevers to outdo his foes.

Crash Bandicoot- Crash Bandicoot is probably on of the less similar to Sonic, now as everyone knows Crash doesn't have much personality. He's more crazy than anything, since his mind was scrambled after being mutated. Of course Crash is a mute, so he's more like Classic Sonic in that sense. Other than that, Crash can't add humor to situations with punch lines like Sonic, but rather the characters humor comes from his actions. Whether it's Crash using Cortex as a snow board or anything, Crash's N-Sane attitude and crazy adventures makes the perfect combination.

Spyro The Dragon- Spyro has changed so much due to developer changes, some of his personality is intact, but the overall game tone has changed (until Reignited Trilogy, where Spyro returns to his roots). We've had Classic Spyro, Legend Spyro, Skylanders Spyro and Skylanders Academy Spyro, all of which feature a similar attitude for Spyro, but not nessecarily the same character. Now Spyro is the closest example outside of the Sonic series, because they've experimented so much with both series so much that everyone just wants to play the originals again, because they feel it's the best option. That is until Sonic Mania and Spyro Reignited came along. I've never played pre- Year of the Dragon Spyro so I wouldn't know about those, but both characters have had multiple voice actors for different games. Sonic has had like maybe 7 voice actors, while Spyro has had 7 maybe 8, correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Ty The Tasmanian Tiger- Ty's personality and design overall are similar to Sonic, like the connected eyes, gloves, mouth on the sides. So there's so much similarities to the Sonic series in not just the character but the series as a whole. The Talismans Ty collects are similar to the Chaos Emeralds which Boss Cass are also after, similar to Eggman with the Chaos Emeralds.

Jak & Daxter- This series is the most complex when it comes to characters and story. Jak's character in the first game is similar to Classic sonic, as he;s mute, but in the sequels Jak's a lot more vocal and a much more serious character similar to Modern Sonic. Jak is also capable of taking on other forms in 2 and 3, similar to Sonic's transformations (Werehog, Super Sonic, etc)

So what do you guys think, how does Sonic compare to other video game heroes? Of course theres others that I don't know of, but your welcome to post those.

Considering he was the first 'mascot with attitude' and everyone was copying him, I don't think there is much special about him.

If pressed I would say he's a a bit more... inspiring? Ideological? Less shallow? I have hard time putting it in words.

He's a guy who loves adventure. Free like a wind. Insert quote from a song here. He's not exactly complex, but there is a vision to his personality behind that simplicity.

Jak, Spyro, Crash, Sly, Ratchet, Klonoa, Rayman, most Nintendo mascots. I checked them, and I just don't feelt the same 'spirit' as with Sonic. Granted, Sonic has way more games than all of them (except Mario, but he avoids stories), so he has upper hand. Plus, I did grew up with him. But still.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Considering he was the first 'mascot with attitude' and everyone was copying him, I don't think there is much special about him.

If pressed I would say he's a a bit more... inspiring? Ideological? Less shallow? I have hard time putting it in words.

He's a guy who loves adventure. Free like a wind. Insert quote from a song here. He's not exactly complex, but there is a vision to his personality behind that simplicity.

Jak, Spyro, Crash, Sly, Ratchet, Klonoa, Rayman, most Nintendo mascots. I checked them, and I just don't feelt the same 'spirit' as with Sonic. Granted, Sonic has way more games than all of them (except Mario, but he avoids stories), so he has upper hand. Plus, I did grew up with him. But still.

I cannot agree more. Plus, compared to Mario, it just feels somehow more entertaining when character like Sonic beats up human villain = Eggman rather than it being vice versa (Mario = human vs. Bowser = whatever he is :D )

When you went through the first zone of any classic the first encounter with Eggman was always intense (be it Green Hill, Emerald Hill, Angel Island or Mushroom Hill). Same thing partially applied to Sonic Adventure. 

And about sidekicks... well, Tails is for some annoying character and say Luigi is an ideal sidekick, but for me, there is just overall more contrast between Sonic and Tails and it makes them a nice duo.

• Thumbs Up 1