Awoo.

Sonic Fan J Art Thread

Sonic Fan J

Did you make this? If so, then that's a legitimately good drawing of CD Sonic that gets closer to what he actually looked like than 99.excessive amount of 9s% of art out there. 

• Nice Smile 2

14 hours ago, A crocodile said:

Did you make this? If so, then that's a legitimately good drawing of CD Sonic that gets closer to what he actually looked like than 99.excessive amount of 9s% of art out there. 

Yeah, it was kind of an all day project and I used a ton of reference material to pull it off. To anyone familiar with the character sheet that Oshima Provided Toei Animation for the cutscenes they'll recognize I pretty much just straight copied Sonic's shoes from there. I don't feel guilty though, I love those shoes. As for Rosy there, that's my own redesign of her character so I didn't really have any references to go off of. All in all though imitating that style is a lot of work but I think it's worth it. Enough so that when I have the time I'll probably try my hand at doing Tails.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 2

Yes, you did an excellent job with that CD Sonic. That style has many, many, MANY imitators these days, but rarely do they get as close to it as you did with that drawing.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

13 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Yes, you did an excellent job with that CD Sonic. That style has many, many, MANY imitators these days, but rarely do they get as close to it as you did with that drawing.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback even as my own self depreciating nature won't let me live down how off Sonic's head is in comparison to the CD style. Oh well, It works well enough against my Amy redesign and hopefully if I can find the time to attempt Tails this weekend it'll work with him too.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted the site to update and I don't know if editing my last post would have marked the update so apologies again.

Anyway I've finished drawing Tails and Knuckles and put everyone together in a single pic

team_sonic_special_2_by_sonicfanj-dc9hyr

And I also made sure to do a variation with Knuckles' hat from the OVA

team_sonic_special_by_sonicfanj-dc9hzv3.

The image has gotten a little too wide now to use as an avatar but if anyone would like me to make any avatars out of these two pics let me know and I'll see what I can do. I am a little lazy though so please give me a little time if you do ask to have an avatar made from any part of two above pics.

• Thumbs Up 7

Your art is definitely nice. The characters look really cool, and as simple as the CD art style is I find it really hard to mimic. There's just something about it that's easy to mess up and leave it in kind of an uncanny valley region. But you did good.

Only thing is that Amy looks pretty incomplete. The all white clothing and just the egg shape of her midsection. Just doesn't look done to me. Maybe if she was given short shorts or a skirt or something to separate her legs and belly. It looks fine on the boys since they aren't wearing clothes. But for Amy it just doesn't look right. I quite like her shoes tho.

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Strong Guy said:

Your art is definitely nice. The characters look really cool, and as simple as the CD art style is I find it really hard to mimic. There's just something about it that's easy to mess up and leave it in kind of an uncanny valley region. But you did good.

Only thing is that Amy looks pretty incomplete. The all white clothing and just the egg shape of her midsection. Just doesn't look done to me. Maybe if she was given short shorts or a skirt or something to separate her legs and belly. It looks fine on the boys since they aren't wearing clothes. But for Amy it just doesn't look right. I quite like her shoes tho.

Thanks. I agree that the CD is extremely hard to imitate and I don't feel anywhere close to succeeding honestly. As an influenced by CD style though I am pretty happy with how they all turned out.

On Amy, there's kind of a long story on my rather unusual redesign (though my choice of angle made it impossible to demonstrate that I would give her two small back quills instead of just her classic one). To simplify as much as possible, I got into a rather long and heated debate about her over on the now defunct SEGA forums (just ask @Skull Leader if he remembers as I am sure he's the same one from there) and decided to come up with a redesign that would work for rolling and and tumbling about in an acrobat manner. In the end I settled on a leotard because I've seen plenty of young girls running around in public wearing them with naught else after dance class and the eighties leotard trend combined with Amy being a young girl and seemingly having a thing for vintage things and trends, plus I was seeing a ton of complaints about panty shots at the time and a leotard totally avoids that. I kept the puffy sleeves and collar  though because I thought it looked cute and prevented her from looking too naked so to say while giving her a distinct look still. The white color on the other hand was just because I saw a piece of fan art a long time ago that portrayed Amy in white that I just really liked and the more egg shaped body ended up following as the white color just didn't look right otherwise. As for her shoes, I liked her Olympic shoes for gymnastics and swimming from London and added Sonic socks to them to make them fit in with Sonic and Tails.

That's pretty much the long and short of it without going into the messy details of the design. Or to make it shorter, it's my fan redesign born of an argument. If you would like though, since her design is much simpler than Knuckles (who was a nightmare to draw by the way as his design just doesn't follow the design standard of the others as much as it looks like) I could probably do a version of her with her classic outfit. Since it would be mainly adding just her skirt and since I use Clip Studio Paint it would just be adding on some layers I can toggle on and off so even for someone as lazy as me I would just need to find the time. The only down side to me is that I would have to cover up her tail which I purposely had wagging just because I thought it was cute XD.

• 3 months later...

Double post and bump, but oh well. Wanted to share a quick and sloppy scribble I threw together of my wonky little Amy/Rosy design 

tumblr_pdqas2uA6P1wct3npo1_640.png

Flaws aside, since I thought seeing her drawn in my design again would be a nice birthday gift but don't know anyone who'd do it, doing it myself was actually pretty satisfying. Also, if anyone want's to use any of the pics here for a profile pic feel free. Also, if anyone does decide to take a gander at my wonky little Amy/Rosy design feel free to post it in all of your usual circles. Just make sure to credit me for the design please. My tumblr is here https://sonicfanj.tumblr.com/ and my i'm also over on deviantart here https://www.deviantart.com/sonicfanj.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...

Late night pop in, triple post, and more of my Amy/Rosy redesign

rosy_special_front_and_back_by_sonicfanj

What has this redesign done to me. It's like the only Sonic related art I've been drawing. I need to draw another character before this gets out of hand. On the other hand, I feel like every time I draw this redesign that I keep getting sloppier. Maybe I need to put in some more practice... Aagh! What am I saying, It's almost midnight here. Enjoy everyone and good night.

• Thumbs Up 7

It looks to me like it's becoming a somewhat more exaggerated version of the Toei style, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think it's pretty nice.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Definitely nothing wrong with that either since even getting close to the Toei design is honestly extremely hard. An inspired style that still takes it's cues from it but is easier to draw for me and is a good way to better define my own style. Now if only I would put in the practice time to really take advantage of that 😅

• 2 months later...

tumblr_pifauhPbsa1wct3npo1_1280.png

So from my upcoming pic it's Sonic himself sitting (or squatting maybe) ready to be used as an avatar by anyone who wants to.

• Thumbs Up 4

Third day brings the third hedgehog

tumblr_piiabaswlb1wct3npo1_1280.png

This time it's shadow with some troublesome quills and hand. Well, I'm mostly happy with him regardless and hope everyone else likes him as well ^_^

Also, since it's not a new day yet, here's all three of them together

tumblr_piibyqbQpy1wct3npo1_1280.png

Maybe someone should tell Shadow that it'd be easier to see what Sonic and Rosy are looking at if he'd just turn around 😆

Edited by Sonic Fan J
Added another image
  • Thumbs Up 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well, more of a banner than an avatar but I slapped together a quick and simple background to finish off my pic since my normal background style and character styles don't mix so it may be just a little underwhelming. Still, I hope everyone enjoys regardless.

tumblr_pix3xww38Y1wct3npo2_1280.jpg

Also, you can find the desktop size here https://sonicfanj.tumblr.com/post/180593470788/got-kind-of-lazy-in-the-end-but-still-wanted-to-do if you are interested.

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_pj0s7sTYJG1wct3npo1_1280.png

And it's my Amy/Rosy redesign again 😅
I know I need to draw more characters than just her but when I'm grumpy and need to smile she easily puts a smile on my face even when I just draw her up as a quickie and sloppy doodle. As a result she's here again so please enjoy 😊

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's all of my Rosy(s) in one place for convenience's sake as well as some info for any one who wants to try their hand at my redesign.

tumblr_pjgbfrB0Xm1wct3npo1_1280.png

Anyway, please enjoy and if anyone would like me to edit anything for an avatar or signature just let me know.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here we go again, my next picture is unsurprisingly my Rosy again (I know I can draw more yet I keep drawing her, help me 🤣)

tumblr_pjw20g6BzE1wct3npo1_1280.png

Anyway, I also changed her color because I love this soft warm pink a lot more than the much brighter color I had been using.
Hope everyone enjoys 😊

So bad moods for me equal drawing my favorite, happy little pink gumball to feel better so here she is again

tumblr_pk5lhn5rwf1wct3npo1_1280.png

This time in shaded and unshaded varieties as well just cause I needed the practice. Anyway, enjoy everyone 😊

• Thumbs Up 1

Couldn’t draw for squat today but something about this head made me at least want to finish it. 

tumblr_pk7vot3MMB1wct3npo1_640.png

I don’t really know what though since I don’t think it came out well at all, but here it is regardless. 

• Nice Smile 1

So as I was feeling a little stressed earlier I decided to draw my Amy/Rosy redesign again to cheer myself up so here she is again

tumblr_pkbzgeDMBU1wct3npo1_1280.png

tumblr_pkbzgeDMBU1wct3npo2_250.png

And this time I went ahead and made an avatar icon as well (though I think it's too small 😅) just because I find her smile in this pic that infectious. Hope everyone enjoys 😊

• Thumbs Up 4

One last pic of my Rosy for the year and this time to welcome in the new year as well.

tumblr_pkl2qaTL041wct3npo1_1280.png

Also a textless variation for your avatar needs 😊

tumblr_pkl2qaTL041wct3npo3_250.png

Hope everyone enjoys and apologies for the excessive focus on my Rosy towards the end of the year. Making no promises but I'll try to do more art than just her next year. We'll see what happens. For now please enjoy and I look forward to another year of sharing my Sonic art with everyone 😊

• Thumbs Up 4

Well here's a change, my first pic for 2019 is not my Rosy but rather none other than Sonic himself
tumblr_pkw26bY7za1wct3npo1_r1_1280.png

Hope everyone enjoys and hopefully he'll only be the first of many pics this month. And as always if you'd like any changes to the pic for an avatar let me know and I'll see what I can do.

• Thumbs Up 2

• The title was changed to Sonic Fan J Art Thread
  • 2 weeks later...

Boy, new year and new characters out of me. This time as a birthday gift for @MightyRay we've got Ray the Flying Squirrel

tumblr_plc5a84TrL1wct3npo1_1280.png

I know there are some perspective and foreshortening mistakes but hope everyone enjoys regardless. I know I do since I think he came out pretty good for my first time drawing him.

• Thumbs Up 1