Awoo.

Sonic Mania: Version 1.04 and Plus DLC PS4 Leaks (SPOILERS)

Sonictrainer

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

You know what's kinda funny? Looking at Super Mighty and Super Ray, I think there is legitimately a weird version of "Only Sonic can go super" going on. Like, the other characters get the power for balance, but all that happens visually is a pulsating glow for all of them (Tails being retconned from also turning yellow, and Knuckles  being retconned from being super pink). As a result, Sonic is the only one who can be said to go truly super. The rest get a power boost.

At least it clears up what any other super form looks like in the classic verse (ie it doesn't look like anything). Makes having characters like Amy in it easier too!

Adding to this, Super Sonic is also the only one with a (mostly?) complete sprite set for his form now as of the update IIRC (in which S. Sonic still shared some sprites with regular Sonic in the vanilla game) as well as Tails no longer having his Super Flickies.

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

You know what's kinda funny? Looking at Super Mighty and Super Ray, I think there is legitimately a weird version of "Only Sonic can go super" going on. Like, the other characters get the power for balance, but all that happens visually is a pulsating glow for all of them (Tails being retconned from also turning yellow, and Knuckles  being retconned from being super pink). As a result, Sonic is the only one who can be said to go truly super. The rest get a power boost.

At least it clears up what any other super form looks like in the classic verse (ie it doesn't look like anything). Makes having characters like Amy in it easier too!

I now wonder if this is also true for Modern, given the last time we saw something like it was Heroes...

Also, the only Spinball nod is the angle the table is shot from.

54 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

I now wonder if this is also true for Modern, given the last time we saw something like it was Heroes...

Modern is where it was always the case aka "only male hedgehogs can go super so Tails and Knuckles can have these pathetic super bubbles bestowed by Sonic which means they're not actually super". 

The code for Heroes simplifies them to Super Tails and Super Knuckles, so precedent for calling non-super forms super does exist.

Speaking of precedent existing, this was actually the exact same tactic employed by Sonic the Fighters with its Hyper Mode (gotten after getting all eight Chaos Emeralds, all the characters can have a hyper mode, but only Sonic can go Super with it). Maybe the super mandate is older than we thought. 

• Fist Bump 1

That pinball bonus stage honestly looks really dull. It's just like Blue Spheres in the regular game in that it goes on for too long to be a bonus stage. But at least you can get items instead of just medals, I guess.

Music is also eh. Not bad, but not as great as the rest of the soundtrack.

A streamer named "Misterteamot" has streamed encore mode completely on twitch. I know this is a spoiler chat but I don't want to spoil it for anyone, if you want to check it out search him up on twitch. All i'm going to say is that im disappointed.

Well, this is the spoiler thread right? So... I'm gonna leave this screenshot

Spoiler

Spoilers ahead

Spoiler

Last warning

Spoiler

1531275829554.thumb.png.679cd024ad86538a5b11cdc8b1e6c2cf.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

2 minutes ago, Ivo the Coldsteel said:

Well, this is the spoiler thread right? So... I'm gonna leave this screenshot

Hide contents

Spoilers ahead

Hide contents

Last warning

Hide contents

1531275829554.thumb.png.679cd024ad86538a5b11cdc8b1e6c2cf.png

A very interesting screen. Although both endings of encore mode frustrate me. Can I really call them endings?

Judging by Mighty and Ray's mania mode intro, its likely that their mania mode's are un-cannon. So my guess is it took them a year of development to make 2 characters I guess.

I'm very dissapointed.

Apparent ending spoilers, obviously:

Based on some pre-credits and post-credits clips of Misterteamot's playthrough I saw, the ending has the Phantom Ruby going haywire and proceeding to suck up the place after the not-Super final boss is defeated (though the streamer has Super Sonic?). Eggman tries to flee on the ejection pod thing, but gets (accidentally? lol) knocked by Super Sonic and co. (who are fleeing the place at the same time) into the Ruby's vortex. A flash caused by the Ruby happens....and then game credits. Then the ice cream "You're Too Cool!" stinger with the playable cast and Heavy Magician shows up. I wasn't really expecting a new final boss myself, but I have to admit, that ending to Encore Mode is a bit....odd and lacks some clarity.

It is worth noting that Encore Mode's ending is pretty much nearly the same as that of Mania Mode, except it's Eggman being pulled into a Ruby-induced portal instead of Sonic...is this a hint towards the next modern Sonic/Sonic Team game? A reverse Forces/Generations 2 that has Mania!Eggman (/ Classic!Eggman) team up with Modern!Eggman once more to stop Sonic? Or is this simply a vague tease of a Mania followup?

It is worth noting that there is a Sonic panel at SDCC next week...which has Iizuka and Austin Keys (director of product development) attending...and will feature discussion of "upcoming games"....and "surprise announcements".

So we might get an answer there.....?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

I like both endings in that stream, though it's obvious that the first was meant to entice players to collect all the emeralds again. It raises a lot of questions, but honestly, the fact that we have a 2D Sonic game that does that is very good in my opinion. It's a story that I care enough about to want to know more. I feel that there are multiple directions they can take with this series now.

That ending with Eggman almost escaping was very satisfying for me, as well. They were like "Nope, not this time lol" and I liked that we received a better visual of Eggman getting his just desserts instead of the typical explosion and flying offscreen.  Either the developers were just indulging in the mindless fun of Encore mode or they are trying to hint at what's to come for this series.

As much as many fans hate the fact that Mania might be contained within its own dimension, I think this provides Whitehead with the perfect excuse to go as crazy as he wants without Sega and diehard fans breathing down his neck about the modern Sonic "canon", which is already all over the place. Who knows, maby we can have some games made by Christian that feature Chaos, Shadow, or better yet, some new crazier enemy. The Hard-Boiled Heavies are already a welcome edition to Sonic's gallery of villains and I would love to see more simple 2D villains that still have a lot of personality conveyed through simple animation and boss battles.

Whatever the case, I'm very satisfied that it was not a carbon copy of the original ending and even provided some incentive to think of what might be next. Sega has made some very bad decisions in the past (that's an extreme understatement), but I don't think they can possibly even consider the possibility that they are done with Christian Whitehead and his team. They may have just saved this franchise in the past year alone. 

• Fist Bump 1

I think the ending is a tease for either the Forces DLC or Team Sonic Racing, which will show where Eggman and the Phantom Ruby went. And it’s strange how the Heavies have apparently turned good, which hasn’t happened since D-Fekt two years prior (or Merlina if we stick to main games)

22 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Honestly I don´t mind the retcons, but I feel this those custom Super Tails animation standing still from DeviantArt (and that said they could be done for the others) would be sooooo good

Sonic Mania Custom Animation 6 - Super Tails by DOA687

24 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

I think the ending is a tease for either the Forces DLC or Team Sonic Racing, which will show where Eggman and the Phantom Ruby went. And it’s strange how the Heavies have apparently turned good, which hasn’t happened since D-Fekt two years prior (or Merlina if we stick to main games)

Wait wait wait... Heavies turned good at the end ? 

That link to either Forces DLC or TSR was predictable as hell.

My only hope for a sequel: Bring the legendary Sandopolis Act 2 back. After what was done with Flying Battery Act 2 in Mania, I would really like to see Sandopolis Act 2 Maniafied.

I thought Mighty and Ray were supposed to change colors when they went Super.

Fuckin' lame, man. I don't like that Sonic is the only one that changes color.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Space☆Yeow said:

Apparent ending spoilers, obviously:

Reveal hidden contents

Based on some pre-credits and post-credits clips of Misterteamot's playthrough I saw, the ending has the Phantom Ruby going haywire and proceeding to suck up the place after the not-Super final boss is defeated (though the streamer has Super Sonic?). Eggman tries to flee on the ejection pod thing, but gets (accidentally? lol) knocked by Super Sonic and co. (who are fleeing the place at the same time) into the Ruby's vortex. A flash caused by the Ruby happens....and then game credits. Then the ice cream "You're Too Cool!" stinger with the playable cast and Heavy Magician shows up. I wasn't really expecting a new final boss myself, but I have to admit, that ending to Encore Mode is a bit....odd and lacks some clarity.

It is worth noting that Encore Mode's ending is pretty much nearly the same as that of Mania Mode, except it's Eggman being pulled into a Ruby-induced portal instead of Sonic...is this a hint towards the next modern Sonic/Sonic Team game? A reverse Forces/Generations 2 that has Mania!Eggman (/ Classic!Eggman) team up with Modern!Eggman once more to stop Sonic? Or is this simply a vague tease of a Mania followup?

It is worth noting that there is a Sonic panel at SDCC next week...which has Iizuka and Austin Keys (director of product development) attending...and will feature discussion of "upcoming games"....and "surprise announcements".

So we might get an answer there.....?

This ending reminds me of a lot of Capcom games. 

59 minutes ago, superman43 said:

Honestly I don´t mind the retcons, but I feel this those custom Super Tails animation standing still from DeviantArt (and that said they could be done for the others) would be sooooo good

Sonic Mania Custom Animation 6 - Super Tails by DOA687

Wait wait wait... Heavies turned good at the end ? 

That link to either Forces DLC or TSR was predictable as hell.

My only hope for a sequel: Bring the legendary Sandopolis Act 2 back. After what was done with Flying Battery Act 2 in Mania, I would really like to see Sandopolis Act 2 Maniafied.

See the still at the end of the credits.

29 minutes ago, ThePrinceOfSaiyans said:

I thought Mighty and Ray were supposed to change colors when they went Super.

That was a fake leak.

I kinda like what they've established here with Super forms, personally. It's probably the best compromise between narrative and gameplay; everyone can have a (possibly non-canon) glowy powered-up mode as a reward for getting the emeralds, but only a select few have a full (and confirmed canon) transformation.

• Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

See the still at the end of the credits.

I am sure someone will post it there. And if not, I will find myself anyway (when playing).

So the bad ending leaves off on a cliffhanger of sorts:

Eggman sneaks away, you give chase while neglecting the Phantom Ruby, and Heavy King takes it and becomes part of his scepter? 

While the good ending has Super Sonic save the day by rescuing your buddies while Eggman gets trapped in the Phantom Ruby void? Whatever the case, even this ending leaves off of a cliffhanger and no Egg Reverie in sight huh?

6 hours ago, TCB said:

So the bad ending leaves off on a cliffhanger of sorts:

Eggman sneaks away, you give chase while neglecting the Phantom Ruby, and Heavy King takes it and becomes part of his scepter? 

While the good ending has Super Sonic save the day by rescuing your buddies while Eggman gets trapped in the Phantom Ruby void? Whatever the case, even this ending leaves off of a cliffhanger and no Egg Reverie in sight huh?

Some fans are speculating that Eggman being sucked into the void is a tease towards a potential Sonic Forces DLC with classic Eggman as a villain. I really hope this is not the case. While I enjoyed Sonic Forces, it was a pretty unremarkable game that got extremely mixed reviews. Sega is back on an extreme high note with critical acclaim for Sonic Mania Plus and Sonic Mania Adventures. I wouldn't understand why they would risk further negative reception for a game that should really be left alone at this point. The problem is Sega makes very odd and bad decisions over and over again. So, them returning to Sonic Forces to remind players how mediocre or just plain bad the game was just when the reception for the Sonic Series is back in great shape is unfortunately very plausible.

I also feel that the good ending is actually pretty conclusive. When I saw the good ending, my impression was the Phantom Ruby became extremely unstable because of Eggman's overuse of it and went haywire as a result. Eggman and his entire fortress are absorbed and trapped in some nameless void (until he finds a way to escape for the next classic game) and this is most likely what happened to modern Eggman as well, since the final battle took place in a void-like area. Sonic and his friends go to celebrate, while the Hard Boil Heavies are no longer evil without the Phantom Ruby's influence, though they still have a bit of personality. I find it a very fitting ending: Eggman gets trapped by the very power he was abusing throughout the games and Sonic and friends finally get some time to relax.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

25 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

No Egg Reviere is a plus. But where’s my goddamn Titanic Monach Final Boss fight? 😂

Sonic Mania Plus DX? With a Titanic Monarch boss set up like the scrapped Final Fever with Phantom Ruby induced time shenanigans.

I'm also kind of sad they didn't use it as a boss fight, or at least patch up the current final boss with its presumed missing elements based on what was left in Mania. Pinch mode and the extra level elements etc.

But over all, it's $5 and you get two unique characters and a hard mode of sorts, any chance to play through this fantastic game again is a "plus" in my books. Seeing Mighty and Ray get attention again after all these years is worth it to me personally too. Also if we support Plus then it shows we want more like it, which can only be a good thing!