Awoo.

Sonic Mania: Version 1.04 and Plus DLC PS4 Leaks (SPOILERS)

Sonictrainer

6 hours ago, MainJP said:

They even neglected to mention Mighty when Vectors comic came out on Sonic Channel  2 years ago when they mentioned Knuckles' Chaotix as the Chaotix's appearance. What's the reasoning behind keeping Mighty separate from the Chaotix? Am I missing something?

I'm perhaps a little strange but I never affiliated Mighty with the Chaotix, or Knuckles for that matter. But to answer the question at that point in time to the best of my knowledge Iizuka was still striking Chaotix from the cannon. Further on the Japanese side of things none of the characters actually knew each other going into the game and had radically different backgrounds ( I don't know the details in whole as I've never gotten a translation on their individual backgrounds and my brother who could translate it for me refuses to for some reason). For example, Mighty was still pretty much the adventurer he was in SEGA Sonic Arcade, and Espio had an interest ancient cultures and supposedly was envious of Knuckles who lived on Angel Island. Even stranger, Charmy was a world class sprinter and the first insect to ever break the sound barrier who was going to the island the game takes place on supposedly to be the first to see whatever flowers grow there. I can't vouch for the accuracy of these backgrounds however as I have never gotten a proper translation and most of it is from what I've heard or seen run through Google Translate, but if there is any validity to it then from the Japanese side of things none of these characters were ever considered a team until Chaotix which would mean that Mighty was always an outlier which I personally think works fine. Of course complicating maters more so is I've been hearing here and there that supposedly in Chaotix they didn't even actually use the characters as they were supposedly original designed either so it's probably a lot more complicated than it already seems.

2 hours ago, Jango said:

This is Team Mania we're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an Amy Rose tease somewhere even.

That's what I was hoping for in the original release; just a simple cameo even as out of the way as her appearance in Chaotix and instead got those bombs in MM. It was kind of a slap in the face as an Amy fan. At this point though just to keep the fan base from destroying itself over her I would be happy with her making Big style cameo's in every level because it would give me a reason to thoroughly explore every level just to find her.

I decided to do a quick video showing-off the changes for time-trial mode in the 1.04 version. These changes are pretty minor, but definitely welcome.

The main change is that when you have completed a time trail, at the end of the act (before it proceeds to the results screen) instead of showing your score and ring bonus like in normal Mania Mode; it now shows your "Time", "Best Time", "Rank" and "World Rank". You then have to press the "Options" button on the PS4 controller to return to the time-trial menus. 

There's also some minor visual color changes when selecting an act to play:

• Thumbs Up 4

14 hours ago, MainJP said:

They even neglected to mention Mighty when Vectors comic came out on Sonic Channel  2 years ago when they mentioned Knuckles' Chaotix as the Chaotix's appearance. What's the reasoning behind keeping Mighty separate from the Chaotix? Am I missing something?

This might be a stretch, but it probably would've been Chaos Gamma from Battle. Heroes and Battle released around the same time. 

Sonic Heroes only had three characters per team. They weren't a team in the 32X Chaotix game and had no collective name, they were just a bunch of individual characters.

2 minutes ago, Pengi said:

Sonic Heroes only had three characters per team. They weren't a team in the 32X Chaotix game and had no collective name, they were just a bunch of individual characters.

That's not what I meant. I already know all this and Mighty would not have been on their team anyway.Take this to the Sonic Heroes info thread.

I've done another quick video for the 1.04 version:

You can now earn continues on a normal "Save-File" when playing through the special stages (by maxing-out mach3 yellow bar). Continues are no longer restricted to "No-Save" playthroughs. The Save-File also now details the number of continues earned (extra-lives on the left and continues on the right) which you can see in the video (and on the videos thumbnail).

I start the video (having already collected the first chaos emerald) by showing-off the Save-File where Knuckles has one "continue", I then play through special stages 2 to 7 and earn a continue in each SS. At the end of the playthrough I then go back to the Save-File menu which now shows seven continues.

These changes bring it in-line with Sonic 3K.

It's a fair change, although is kind of unnecessary on a Save-File playthrough as you can of course restart from the beginning of the same zone when getting a game-over by loading up your save-file.

The funny thing is that; in order to earn a continue, you have to slow-down Sonic/Tails/Knuckles because otherwise they will catch up to the UFO too quickly before you can earn a continue by maxing out the mach3 bar. Also, a lot of skill is required because you would be spending more time running at full speed in mach3. In other words the game expects you to be an expert at the special stages in order to earn a continue, and players who need to use continues likely won't be experts and therefore will struggle to earn continues  :huh: 

They should have made it easier to earn continues; i.e. collecting 50 rings (or something similar) like in Sonic 1 & Sonic 3.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, TheOcelot said:

In other words the game expects you to be an expert at the special stages in order to earn a continue, and players who need to use continues likely won't be experts and therefore will struggle to earn continues  :huh: 

Well, to some extent that's every lives system, isn't it? The worse you are, the fewer you'll get, but the more you'll need them.

So what's a continue even do when you have a save file? Let you start from Act 2 if you game overed there, I guess? Hardly seems worth it.

41 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Well, to some extent that's every lives system, isn't it? The worse you are, the fewer you'll get, but the more you'll need them.

So what's a continue even do when you have a save file? Let you start from Act 2 if you game overed there, I guess? Hardly seems worth it.

I tested it in act2 of Studiopolis. I did indeed restart from act2 (with three lives).

If you get a game-over in a Save-File (with no continues left) in act2, then you are forced to restart from act1. So the only advantage a continue really has in Mania is that it doesn't force you to restart from act1.

So yeah, it's hardly worth it.

I mean, I saw a fair amount of complaints (and even an entire article) on Mania resetting players to Act 1 after a game over. So I can kind of understand where the change has come from, even if I'm unlikely to get much out of it myself. 

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

It helps on cases where you die right at the end of Act 2 or at the main boss. I've heard plenty of complains about Titanic Monarch being a pain to deal with if you game over at any point in it. It's not a game changer, but it does make the game a bit more user friendly for those who aren't that big on the classics, or heck, someone who's just stuck.

I mean, that's a complaint that I agree with, but the continue system is a really poor way of addressing it. In addition to the "if you can get them you won't need them and if you need them you can't get them" issue, if you game over on Act 1 and use a continue you're just wasting it. It feels like it's more for the sake of making saved playthroughs and no-save playthroughs functionally identical (and ending up with something kinda sloppy) than finding a good solution to that problem (just saving after every Act would be enough, or even just having an option for infinite lives would probably be better).

• Thumbs Up 2

Instead of giving continues (which haven't really been useful since Sonic 2), it seems like a group of lives, say around 3, would be much more useful as an SS reward for Mach 3. And as far as continues go, they should just make them unlimited. Again, the fact that you can save your game basically makes having them finite pointless.

And why is there no Time Attack for the Special Stages? That still seems like a missed opportunity to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Potada said:

And why is there no Time Attack for the Special Stages? That still seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Time Attack for the Special Stages would be nice.

While it's probably asking too much out of a rerelease, I'd love an entire mode dedicated to them. After all the game already has a Blue Spheres mode with new stages not seen in the main game (with new types of spheres even!), so I'd love to see Mania's special stages get the same treatment.

• Thumbs Up 9

Time Attack for Special Stages would be nice, but you know what else would be EPIC? Competition Mode for Special Stages. Imagine racing your pals in 3D for the Chaos Emerald!

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Jango said:

Time Attack for Special Stages would be nice, but you know what else would be EPIC? Competition Mode for Special Stages. Imagine racing your pals in 3D for the Chaos Emerald!

That sounds cool in theory, but what if one player turned around and ran the track backwards while the other continued forwards? Where would the UFO go?

e: I guess you could just make it a standard lap-based race but, eh.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

That sounds cool in theory, but what if one player turned around and ran the track backwards while the other continued forwards? Where would the UFO go?

e: I guess you could just make it a standard lap-based race but, eh.

Yeah, that would be very cumbersome and kinda hard to do without considering how one could cheat others out of the emerald. A lap based system where they get punished for going backwards could remedy that. Though it would be like most standard racing games, minus vehicles. If anything, it maybe something to avoid considering Sonic R. Though if it could be done right, maybe it could all work out.

How about not avoiding it because it's like Sonic R and just have a player "fault" if they try to go backwards without the lap based race?

• Thumbs Up 1

That could actually work even better. It will not require the race mechanics as much and it'll at least give everyone a fair chance at getting the emerald. Either way, there will always be that one smartass that'll try and cheat the system by going backwards. So forcing them to go forwards with a fault, if they even try to go backwards, will keep thing from getting unfair.

I've just done two gifs of the Sonic Mania Adventure Ep2 end-credits because they appear to tease the alternative color palettes for the zones in Encore mode:

giphy.gif 

It has the sunset Green Hill design which was also shown-off in the Mania Plus trailer.

The Stardust Speedway change seems interesting because we already know act2 is getting a bad-future make-over:

dlc_ss_03.jpg 

So maybe the alternative green color in the end-credits is for SS act1 for Encore mode?

giphy.gif

The Flying Battery color change looks nice.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

giphy.gif

The Flying Battery color change looks nice.

Is it supposed to be a Wing Fortress Zone reference?

s2-wfz-structureimg1.png

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1

4 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Is it supposed to be a Wing Fortress Zone reference?

s2-wfz-structureimg1.png

I'd imagine so, since there are call backs to Wing Fortress in Act 2 of Flying Battery particularly. And the color pallet does look good for the stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

There appears to be a lot of sepia in Encore Mode; for the reflective experience, perhaps.  Then again, we have Mirage Saloon and Stardust Speedway Act 2 as significant counter-examples, and I dare say there will be others.

6 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

I've just done two gifs of the Sonic Mania Adventure Ep2 end-credits because they appear to tease the alternative color palettes for the zones in Encore mode:

giphy.gif 

It has the sunset Green Hill design which was also shown-off in the Mania Plus trailer.

The checkpoint in Green Hill Encore mode (which you can see when the GHZ footage starts, when Tails goes through the two S-bends) credits has a gray head when unactivated, rather than the standard blue. Wonder if that's a mere color change to match changed zone palettes in the Encore Mode, or if there's more to it than this.

That's just compression in the gif; it's blue in the video.

9 hours ago, Space☆Yeow said:

The checkpoint in Green Hill Encore mode (which you can see when the GHZ footage starts, when Tails goes through the two S-bends) credits has a gray head when unactivated, rather than the standard blue. Wonder if that's a mere color change to match changed zone palettes in the Encore Mode, or if there's more to it than this.

I think that the part of Studiopolis Act 1 with Mighty wasn´t in the Mania mode. And I am not sure about those two loops in the changed Stardust Speedway Act 1. The rest seems to be the same though.