Awoo.

Amy's Sidekicks, the Success of Tails, and the Ever Growing Team Rose

Sonic Fan J

7 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I don't think so. You had to walk into him to make him talk, plus you could throw him off the cliff. I don't know what to hate here.

I know that the two reasons people find him(?) annoying is because he sometimes gives useless tips and has an allegedly annoying voice. And that the pickup n' throw as well as spin/punch/kick/shoot options were likely preemptive programmings for those who wanted to do that.

But honestly, I never really got that being the entire reputation.

7 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

And this Team Rose from Team Racing is probably meme-tic. Big & Omochao are way more twitter-known than poor Cream.

I have to say, between this game, last Olympics and Forces, Sega really been neglecting her. If Blaze & all Chaotix are in this game

Pretty much.

Did you forgot to finish that last sentence? :lol: 

On 6/24/2018 at 4:32 PM, Sonic Fan J said:

I get that Amy is compassionate, but this is Omochao that we're talking about.

On 6/25/2018 at 3:41 PM, Skull Leader said:

Imagine if characters like Sonic or Tails had told Amy "I know you're compassionate, but this is Gamma/Shadow,/etc we're talking about".

If she can feel even for bad guys like Infinite, then why would it be a problem if she does for a character like Omochao.

On 6/24/2018 at 8:02 PM, Sonic Fan J said:

That last bit was honestly more of a joke than anything. Though truthfully, I don't see how this team can really be considered Team Rose or any type of team. If it wasn't for the precedent of Team Rose having an interchangeable roster of a rather large number of characters I would hesitate to call it Team Rose at all even with Amy being there.

I think you might have missed this last quote @Skull Leader XD

It really was more of a joke aimed at the fanbase's reactions to Omochao then anything aimed at Amy. While I still feel that chaos of any kind feel more like a Cream theme than an Amy theme I actually would feel like Amy would be grateful for Omochao's company. It may annoy us but in universe it is helpful, full of useful information, and it's willingness to help would easily endear it to Amy. Thinking about it like though I can't help but worry if Amy's characterization in Team Sonic Racing will be on point enough to show that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 7 months later...

Honestly? I didn't see it brought up here, but Amy and Knuckles HAVE been paired up a lot recently in their supporting roles, where Tails has mostly isolated himself from everyone else besides Sonic to the point where he's basically a male Amy at this point, when she was obsessive and dependent on Sonic, that is. Lost World, Forces, and even Boom, where they were consistently paired together for collaborative duo sections.

I feel like Knuckles' character could be used to better Amy, where they could have a brother/sister thing going on to keep the sibling-like bond of the main four going beyond jist Sonic and Tails, and maybe they could have a student/teacher relationship where Amy trains under Knuckles to further improve her physical capabilities and prowess as a fighter, which both makes her more of an independent character as well as fleshes out the "martial arts" Knuckles' character has been said to have. You could also fit Tails into that to add even more development for all of them together, which could be a great breath of fresh air for the main supporting cast.

Also, narratively and logically speaking, this could help their group dynamic and also allow them to go toe-to-toe with members of Team Dark and the other more capable fighters in the series, so in case they try and pull another Heroes or Battle, it'll make sense for Amy and Tails to actually give certain characters a good challenge.

And while not normally a thought people would have, that one part pd the Archie Comics where Team Rose and Team Dark clashed heads? Maybe have thpse characters all share some development? Cream's dynamic with any of the Team Dark members would be fun to see IMO. Amy and Rouge can have a little rivalry but a secret begrudging reapect for each other; Shadow could potentially see Maria in the very benevolent, gentle, yet passionate members, and Big could maybe be the object of scrutiny and ostracism until they Dark members realize just how loyal he is when he protects then during a fight. There's honestly lots of potential there.

While their relationship was short-lived in 06, I'd like to see how they'd handle her and Silver again, and honestly, an aspect that wasn't touched upon again, from what I recall, is Silver's naivety that led to him being easily manipulated and gullible, which is something Eggman could definitely prey on and is a cool thing that he and Knuckles share in common, which is why their rivalry was cool to me in Rivals 

Also, Knuckles and Blaze bonding over the fact thay they're the guardians of precious jewel artifacts? Shadow and Knuckles getting to learn fron each other about their Chaos powers and how the Emeralds work due to their deep-rooted ties with them or maybe having their own rivalry due to their arrogance and cockiness over who is the true Chaos master or something? 

So. Much. Potential.

• Thumbs Up 1

Admittedly I've always been on board with Tails and Amy having a sibling relationship with each other but never really considered it with Knuckles and Amy. The only reason I guess I couldn't see it working for making Team Sonic a family like group is simply the difference in obsession that Tails and Amy have always had in their hero worship of Sonic compared to Knuckles who has  a completely different relationship with Sonic. Of course that hasn't stopped the frequent team ups of Knuckles and Amy across multiple mediums ad there is a dynamic to explore there, though for the sake of this thread I always find Knuckles and Amy more as equals than one being the sidekick of the other. Now Silver though I could see being dragged around by Amy and falling into any number of sidekick tropes (or conversely Amy somehow becoming his hyper-competent sidekick instead) and could lead to some interesting study of his character.

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

(or conversely Amy somehow becoming his hyper-competent sidekick instead)

Heh heh, anyone being paired with Silver would be hyper competent just by comparison.

• Chuckle 2

• 3 weeks later...
On February 15, 2019 at 9:34 AM, Sonic Fan J said:

Admittedly I've always been on board with Tails and Amy having a sibling relationship with each other but never really considered it with Knuckles and Amy. The only reason I guess I couldn't see it working for making Team Sonic a family like group is simply the difference in obsession that Tails and Amy have always had in their hero worship of Sonic compared to Knuckles who has  a completely different relationship with Sonic. Of course that hasn't stopped the frequent team ups of Knuckles and Amy across multiple mediums ad there is a dynamic to explore there, though for the sake of this thread I always find Knuckles and Amy more as equals than one being the sidekick of the other. Now Silver though I could see being dragged around by Amy and falling into any number of sidekick tropes (or conversely Amy somehow becoming his hyper-competent sidekick instead) and could lead to some interesting study of his character.

I think there is some common ground between Knuckles and Amy based on mutual sympathy since, in a way, they are both the underdogs: Sonic will always get all the ovation and praise for saving the world yet no one bothers to thank Knuckles for keeping a very powerful gem from falling into the wrong hands, while Amy, no matter how hard she tries, still doesn't get Sonic's attention. I wouldn't be that weird if Amy was the first one to feel compassion for Knuckles, who has to stay on that island all by himself, while Knuckles could see that the way Sonic ignores her can come off as unfair.

There is a lot of potential for some interesting dynamics that sadly are wasted because of Sonic Team and Sega's dumb insistance in a trio when the idea of the quartet should had been implemented a very long time ago so that Amy could have her spot and Knuckles be provided with a reason to get involved with an actual friendship with this one character that can actually understand and be supportive to him.

Just imagine how they would compete with Sonic and Tails to see who saves the world first since Knuckles still wants to heal his pride by showing that he can one up Sonic as the better hero, while Amy gets to impress Sonic. Also, if the Knuckles and Sonic rivalry starts to get a bit out of hand, it's Amy and Tails who get to conciliate and remind them both of what's at stake. Or even mix things up a bit by changing partners, like Sonic and Knuckles working together (but still having some of that competitive edge) while Tails and Amy do their thing. There's so much that can be done, like the characters involved in the duos exchanging with each other what they think of their respective partners, which in some cases, can help characters that rarely interact with each other like Tails and Knuckles to know each other by proxy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Imo there's not much to Amy's character that stands out in being a supporting character that has a position as self proclaimed Sonics girl. Her character doesn't have enough depth or build up like Tails does to give her something outside of being a purpose for Sonics macho image being boosted or comic tsundere relief with Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Then why not give her some depth then, instead of writing off completely?

She has as much "depth" as Tails does. They were both essentially given the same arc. Tails's take was a lot flashier but supplanted by the fact that he didn't actually have to go through what he did by himself. 

Amy pushes for independence and self assurance. She has relapses, but most of the characters do. Tails is probably the poster boy for relapses as far as the fandom is concerned.

55 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Imo there's not much to Amy's character that stands out in being a supporting character that has a position as self proclaimed Sonics girl. Her character doesn't have enough depth or build up like Tails does to give her something outside of being a purpose for Sonics macho image being boosted or comic tsundere relief with Sonic.

As I said before, Amy has been and done whatever writers wanted her to at various points across the series, with the only almost universal constant being her love for Sonic and/or her passion. 

Which technically means there's quite a couple of things that could be picked back up again.

44 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Then why not give her some depth then, instead of writing off completely?

That's the question I sometimes ask when I see this type of thing.

46 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Tails's take was a lot flashier but supplanted by the fact that he didn't actually have to go through what he did by himself. 

Uh, how so?

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Uh, how so?

Tails and Sonic are working together to stop Eggman for most of the story even when they're apart. Amy has a much more personal goal of keeping her bird friend safe but Sonic doesn't pay her a whole lot of attention. 

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Tails and Sonic are working together to stop Eggman for most of the story even when they're apart. Amy has a much more personal goal of keeping her bird friend safe but Sonic doesn't pay her a whole lot of attention. 

Wasn't that because Sonic and Tails were working together for much of the story and got separated twice, with Tails having to take on Eggman by himself in at the end to defuse a missile?

3 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

This coming from the Shadow fan that does not even start to understand his supposedly favorite character.

I'm glad that prominent people like Tyson Hesse or Ian Flynn can see the good things in Amy and display them in their works, along with making justice to the other characters too.

If you even fucking dare to ask what those things are, then boy, you're a lost cause, because I know that even if they were to be spoonfeed to you, you would simply ignore them and keep posting bull. You're simply NOT worth the effort.

Have a nice day.

23 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

This coming from the Shadow fan that does not even start to understand his supposedly favorite character.

I'm glad that prominent people like Tyson Hesse or Ian Flynn can see the good things in Amy and display them in their works, along with making justice to the other characters too.

If you even fucking dare to ask what those things are, then boy, you're a lost cause, because I know that even if they were to be spoonfeed to you, you would simply ignore them and keep posting bull. You're simply NOT worth the effort.

Have a nice day.

Um okay.

All I know is Shadow > Amy as a likable character, so there.

40 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Um okay.

That's mostly based on personal taste .

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

Um okay.

I am honestly confused on how to think here.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Um okay.

So, nothing to back up your bull shit other than some random statement that is entirely subjective? Ha!

Good thing I never had any faith in you having the ability nor capacity to articulate a proper argument,  let alone one with something to back it up, Total Shadow.

Gonna drop it here since you're not even amusing nor challenging to debunk in a discussion, so feel free to think you've won if it makes you happy or whatever. 

• 4 months later...

It’s kinda hard to make a sidekick for a character who barely stands out as a character: which is probably why all her past sidekicks haven’t sticked. Recently, Sega really has been trying to make Amy into a character worth being in the series, so I think it’s safe to say there’s at least hope for Amy getting a sidekick that works in ways that her past sidekicks couldn’t. But even then— Amy is more of a supporting character than anything, so giving her a sidekick would not provide much use. She doesn’t stand out enough to really influence another character to the point of them being a sidekick. It would just be a hollowed out story with not much meaning. 

6 minutes ago, T00tis3 said:

It’s kinda hard to make a sidekick for a character who barely stands out as a character: which is probably why all her past sidekicks haven’t sticked. Recently, Sega really has been trying to make Amy into a character worth being in the series, so I think it’s safe to say there’s at least hope for Amy getting a sidekick that works in ways that her past sidekicks couldn’t. 

She's had one.

And if Amy's getting any kind of noteworthy role again, she's gonna get the same one.

Well, look with the cat dragged in. It's funny cause I think I looked inthis thread a couple of weeks ago.

25 minutes ago, T00tis3 said:

It’s kinda hard to make a sidekick for a character who barely stands out as a character: which is probably why all her past sidekicks haven’t sticked. Recently, Sega really has been trying to make Amy into a character worth being in the series, so I think it’s safe to say there’s at least hope for Amy getting a sidekick that works in ways that her past sidekicks couldn’t. But even then— Amy is more of a supporting character than anything, so giving her a sidekick would not provide much use. She doesn’t stand out enough to really influence another character to the point of them being a sidekick. It would just be a hollowed out story with not much meaning. 

How so?

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Well, look with the cat dragged in. It's funny cause I think I looked inthis thread a couple of weeks ago.

How so?

This could just be a personal thing (and it probably is) but Sega never really drives home who she is the way they do with other characters. Sonic is this this and that and you WON’T forget it because Sega let’s you KNOW. This applies to the other characters, except for... Amy. Before 2017, her entire personality was basically female sonic. They tried to give her interests, such as tarot cards, but you wouldn’t have known if you didn’t read up on sonic lore because they never show that in the mainline games. They can’t really decide on what or who Amy is, even now. (Tbh they kinda have the same problem with sonic but at least there was a foundation for who he was and what he stood for). I appreciate the potential Amy has, but Sega has yet to deliver. They’re slowly making their way over to that potential, though, so I can say I’m excited to see what they make of her. She was a character that was written to suit jokes, no matter how different in context those jokes were. I never really understood who Amy was and what purpose she had to the story, because Sega never really told us. (I have a feeling they didn’t really know either). 

10 minutes ago, T00tis3 said:

This could just be a personal thing (and it probably is) but Sega never really drives home who she is the way they do with other characters. Sonic is this this and that and you WON’T forget it because Sega let’s you KNOW. This applies to the other characters, except for... Amy. Before 2017, her entire personality was basically female sonic. They tried to give her interests, such as tarot cards, but you wouldn’t have known if you didn’t read up on sonic lore because they never show that in the mainline games. They can’t really decide on what or who Amy is, even now. (Tbh they have the sameness problem with even sonic but at least there was a foundation for who he is and what he stands for). I appreciate the potential Amy has, but Sega has yet to deliver. They’re slowly making their way over to that potential, though, so I can say I’m excited to see what they make of her. She was a character that was written to suit jokes, no matter how different in context those jokes were. I never really understood who Amy was and what purpose she had to the story, because Sega never really told us. (I have a feeling they didn’t really know either). 

Okay.

Just to give my blanketed description, Amy was supposed to an energetic girl who is hopelessly infatuated with Sonic. And her [original] purpose in the [game] story was indeed to be comic relief--because Sonic is confident in everything except swimming and dealing with a lovesick little girl.

So I suppose you have something of a point when you say she lacks a solid role or to an extent place compared to the other main characters and even some of the major ones. And her exact power and skill set is indeed all over the place outside of her hammer.

I'd say her personality is mostly consistent [in-house], though; the details regarding her attitude and reactions can lean a bit, but the base idea is almost always the same. And technically, SEGA had a period where they were making a distinct character during at least SA1 that continued up until around Sonic Rush. Remember that Cream was [initially] conceptualized as a sidekick for her, for instance.

The thing is Amy started out as a weird side character with nothing much to do with anything and after her introduction, she stuck around and was heavily redesigned to be a main character in a series that started to go into trends, for better or worse. So like other things, it's not that she never had any place or purpose so much as it was simply not cooked well enough when it was supposed to be a thing.

Incidentally, I(and at least two others, from what I know) could make an argument that she's actually been starting to lose what stability she had in the last couple of games.

Amy Rose before 2017 = Female Sonic

Okay, that's pretty accurate.

Visually speaking.

On 6/27/2018 at 10:36 AM, Sonic Fan J said:

I think you might have missed this last quote @Skull Leader XD

It really was more of a joke aimed at the fanbase's reactions to Omochao then anything aimed at Amy. While I still feel that chaos of any kind feel more like a Cream theme than an Amy theme I actually would feel like Amy would be grateful for Omochao's company. It may annoy us but in universe it is helpful, full of useful information, and it's willingness to help would easily endear it to Amy. Thinking about it like though I can't help but worry if Amy's characterization in Team Sonic Racing will be on point enough to show that.

Oh, I'm "glad," cause I was gettin ready to say.

EDIT: Wait, what the heck? I thought I that was a recent post!