Awoo.

Amy's Sidekicks, the Success of Tails, and the Ever Growing Team Rose

Sonic Fan J

The best and funniest foil/sidekick to Amy would be... another Amy. What if Amy had a fanboy? He’d be entirely single minded in his pursuit, and she’d get infuriated and smack him around with the Piko. She’d eventually realize the irony of it and get perspective on her relationship with Sonic. Sonic in turn would talk to the kid and get perspective on his relationship with Amy.

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Badnik Zero said:

The best and funniest foil/sidekick to Amy would be... another Amy. What if Amy had a fanboy? He’d be entirely single minded in his pursuit, and she’d get infuriated and smack him around with the Piko. She’d eventually realize the irony of it and get perspective on her relationship with Sonic. Sonic in turn would talk to the kid and get perspective on his relationship with Amy.

Sounds like a Sonic Boon thing. 

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Okay.

Just to give my blanketed description, Amy was supposed to an energetic girl who is hopelessly infatuated with Sonic. And her [original] purpose in the [game] story was indeed to be comic relief--because Sonic is confident in everything except swimming and dealing with a lovesick little girl.

So I suppose you have something of a point when you say she lacks a solid role or to an extent place compared to the other main characters and even some of the major ones. And her exact power and skill set is indeed all over the place outside of her hammer.

I'd say her personality is mostly consistent [in-house], though; the details regarding her attitude and reactions can lean a bit, but the base idea is almost always the same. And technically, SEGA had a period where they were making a distinct character during at least SA1 that continued up until around Sonic Rush. Remember that Cream was [initially] conceptualized as a sidekick for her, for instance.

The thing is Amy started out as a weird side character with nothing much to do with anything and after her introduction, she stuck around and was heavily redesigned to be a main character in a series that started to go into trends, for better or worse. So like other things, it's not that she never had any place or purpose so much as it was simply not cooked well enough when it was supposed to be a thing.

Incidentally, I(and at least two others, from what I know) could make an argument that she's actually been starting to lose what stability she had in the last couple of games.

I see your points, and after looking back on what I’ve said, I can say I somewhat agree. Amy in Sonic forces was the game that made Amy actually interesting to me. Not only that, but the sonic mania shorts really brought her out into a light I had never seen her in before! Because of that, she has truly worked her way up into my favorite list. As I’ve said before, I never really felt like she had substance because not only was she the only girl character, but she was also mainly comic relief. Growing up, I was just really tired of girl characters not having the same importance as their male counterparts and being seen as a nuisance rather than a useful character that’s relevant to the storyline (that’s why I mentioned it was probably just personal bias—). I’m really happy with what they’ve done to her character now, though. This is a character I can relate to because she has traits that stand out and make her HER. There was nothing wrong with her being boy crazy but that’s about all there was to her. NOW she has things OUTSIDE of sonic that makes her relatable and fun. Before (in sa) her interests were sonic sonic and sonic. Sega gave me no other reason to like her other than hey,,,,, she likes sonic YOU like sonic,,, you know the deal. And yea uhhh sonic boom Amy? W...what was that

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Amy Rose before 2017 = Female Sonic

Okay, that's pretty accurate.

Visually speaking.

Jet is just bird sonic... shadow is just black sonic... blaze is girl sonic from a different dimension... you know the deal. 

10 minutes ago, T00tis3 said:

And yea uhhh sonic boom Amy? W...what was that.

It would be a feminist version of the Amy we currently have, which would be...just a bit more interesting.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It would be a feminist version of the Amy we currently have, which would be...just a bit more interesting.

Honestly? All the sonic boom characters were done dirty. I think the only one that crawled out of that hell hole with only a few scratches to his name was Tails. 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, T00tis3 said:

Amy in Sonic forces was the game that made Amy actually interesting to me. Not only that, but the sonic mania shorts really brought her out into a light I had never seen her in before! Because of that, she has truly worked her way up into my favorite list.

Oh? Well, uh, I suppose that's good for you.

Personally, Amy in Forces bugged me with what little focus she had.

Meanwhile, Mania Adventures(or rather the one short) is a weird inbetween where they basically bring back Classic Amy and play up the plucky little girl angle. Which I'm not sure was really played up much before given the lack of screentime some Classic characters had.

As I’ve said before, I never really felt like she had substance because not only was she the only girl character, but she was also mainly comic relief. Growing up, I was just really tired of girl characters not having the same importance as their male counterparts and being seen as a nuisance rather than a useful character that’s relevant to the storyline (that’s why I mentioned it was probably just personal bias—).

That is a very fair point.'

Like, looking at the rest of the cast, one can't help but notice that every other female character has a specific purpose or motif about them that remains consistent. Amy on the other hand has been around so long with so little to do beyond her gag that they basically throw whatever at the wall, see what sticks, and then do something else anyway when she's prominent.

On the girl characters thing, that was indeed a concern I'm sure. By the same token, I can't help but sense that a lot of things these last two or three decades seem to go out of their way to give them something special to stand out.

Amy, incidentally, falls in and out of that trope depending on what it is and how you look at her. 

And yea uhhh sonic boom Amy? W...what was that

6 hours ago, StaticMania said:

To be fair on Boom Amy(the TV Show version primarily), she was really just a different spin on what Amy generally is. Where Knuckles arguably had some of his tougher traits downplayed half the time in order to further exaggerate his gullibility and cockiness into that of a lovable oaf, Amy was made arguably girlier than she ever was in the games.

Boom Amy was very much about expressing & accepting your feelings and doing things to communicate & compromise them as a group. She'd also go out of her way to help the other characters, including Eggman, deal with and overcome their issue in a healthy manner, often acting as the voice of reason far more than Tails did.

Like, yes, the idea that she was effectively the group's uptight leader at times may have carried over a bit from the general vibe they originally wanted in a weird way. Though really, it's not like Amy in the Games or especially Sonic X didn't have a tendency to be irritable and even insistent at times either.

Honestly, the whole feminist thing only came about due to a) Rise of Lyric's initial attempts to make her a more competent and involved character in development, and b) because topical. Again, the TV Show basically did a gag (that ended up trending) on it specifically to make fun of the notion.

Jet is just bird sonic... shadow is just black sonic... blaze is girl sonic from a different dimension... you know the deal. 

Only one of those has any real truth to it.

6 hours ago, T00tis3 said:

Honestly? All the sonic boom characters were done dirty. I think the only one that crawled out of that hell hole with only a few scratches to his name was Tails. 

.How so?

Honestly? All the sonic boom characters were done dirty. I think the only one that crawled out of that hole with only a few scratches to his name was Tails. 

I've said this before, but I maintain that one of the very best depictions of Amy Rose in all Sonic media is the Sonic Boom episode "Fuzzy Puppy Buddies".

I strongly disagree that the show wrecked Amy's character. I can see heavy shades of her Sonic Adventure version in that show, especially the post game version that's discovered how much good she can actually do.

28 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

I've said this before, but I maintain that one of the very best depictions of Amy Rose in all Sonic media is the Sonic Boom episode "Fuzzy Puppy Buddies".

I strongly disagree that the show wrecked Amy's character. I can see heavy shades of her Sonic Adventure version in that show, especially the post game version that's discovered how much good she can actually do.

Tbh, this is a personal opinion but I’m kinda a fan of sonic boom! Amy. The show is good when it comes to comedy, but I don’t know what it is about it but the writing seems kinda.. off. And I respect your opinion on the show’s Amy, because it truly didn’t WRECK her character— she’s a nice addition to the cast of characters. Everyone who likes sonic boom has a valid take, because there’s no wrong sense of taste, but the writing didn’t really sell me on any of the characters. 

• Thumbs Up 1